HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toughness and/or Enforcers

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2005, 09:57 PM
NH_Predsfan

vCash: 500
Toughness and/or Enforcers

ESPN.com had an interesting article about the role of enforcers in the "new" NHL that I thought mimiced our discussion here a couple weeks ago about whether or not we were going to be tough enough next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2143559

Some of it was pretty routine: that enforcers couldn't be one-dimensional anymore, that they had to be able to skate, have some hockey sense, etc. Nothing that we hadn't heard being preached on here and elsewhere for a while.

But I thought it might be interesting to talk about whether it makes more sense for the Preds to get an enforcer or just rely on team toughness. This discussion might be broadened to apply to the league. But in my own mind, while I appreciate the merits of a "team-toughness" approach, I wonder, given our division, whether that's enough to go against our rivals night after night? Columbus hasn't given up their enforcer, for example.

Anyway, just something to think/chat about.

Old
08-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Predsfan
ESPN.com had an interesting article about the role of enforcers in the "new" NHL that I thought mimiced our discussion here a couple weeks ago about whether or not we were going to be tough enough next season.

Some of it was pretty routine: that enforcers couldn't be one-dimensional anymore, that they had to be able to skate, have some hockey sense, etc. Nothing that we hadn't heard being preached on here and elsewhere for a while.

But I thought it might be interesting to talk about whether it makes more sense for the Preds to get an enforcer or just rely on team toughness. This discussion might be broadened to apply to the league. But in my own mind, while I appreciate the merits of a "team-toughness" approach, I wonder, given our division, whether that's enough to go against our rivals night after night? Columbus hasn't given up their enforcer, for example.

ESPNNBAMTV, shall never be uttered around here again, please ... *gets the rope*

Old
08-28-2005, 09:08 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Predsfan

I think Hordichuk, while not technically a heavyweight enforcer, will go with guys like Low and Shelley as well as others of a smaller variety. But I don't think you'll be seeing a lot of either of those two against us if the new rules really are enforced. Our team speed through our top 12 forwards is incredible. Our 4th line alone would give most teams fits speed wise. You throw out a Shelley or Low against them and it could be trouble especially if we have a good pair of defenseman out there to hit up Tootoo, Hordy, etc. on long passes. If the blueliners make plays that utilize the speed of our 4th liners, it'll be a game of keepaway from the likes of Low and Shelley. Those guys may play 3-5 inconsequential minutes a night. I wouldn't be overly concerned about matching them. As mentioned, teams can't put them out for revenge because there are going to be a lot of desire to get revenge on the Preds and few opportunities for goons. Teams are going to look for answers in players with more overall usefulness. i.e. you can't put a player out there whose job it is to settle the score if that's all he can do. The trend is going to go towards players who can fit within an offensive and defensive scheme while getting at other players. The major goons that Hordichuk would be forced to face cannot do that.

I think a move towards team toughness such as that found in Chicago is more fitting.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 08-28-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old
08-28-2005, 05:25 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
I really don't think the new rules will affect Shelley that much. However I could see Low getting less minutes.

Old
08-28-2005, 11:35 PM
NH_Predsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I think a move towards team toughness such as that found in Chicago is more fitting.
I wouldn't object to that. I guess the scenario I've got running in my mind is Jordin out there raising hell and puts the hurt on someone. Legally of course. And then out pops Shelly or some other goon. I certainly don't doubt Tootoo would have a go, and Hordichuk probably wouldn't back down either. But I guess I'm thinking that if it ends up that most teams in our division get themselves a heavyweight, it would make sense for us to do so as well. I don't question our toughness, just the wisdom of constantly putting tough middleweights against heavyweights. Then again, it might not be something that we have to worry about.

Closed Thread