HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Oil Kings '13-'14 Thread 2: MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS!!

Old
05-13-2014, 03:46 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
London isn't that good this year.

The Storm didn't break a sweat beating them them the first time.

Guelph won't be tired either. They have a 10 day break between games.
The host has played in 9 of the last 11 Memorial Cup Finals.

Only twice in that same 11 year span has the host played a team from its own league in the Memorial Cup final.

Recent history says the odds of London are much greater than Guelph.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 03:48 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 500
In reality though, with this format, anything can happen. Hope the Oil Kings pull it out!

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 03:50 PM
OilerFan4Life

In recent history the following hosts were "not good" as you called London (in comparison to the other 3 teams) and still got to at least the Memorial Cup final:

2012 Shawinigan
2011 Mississauga
2010 Brandon
2008 Kitchener
2006 Moncton
2003 Hull

Now the one thing you have going for you in your argument is that the host has struggled in more recent memory in the championship game. Take away Shawinigan and these other hosts have been beaten in the title game.

In conclusion, recent history tell us:

London gets to the championship game and loses to either Edmonton or the Q champ.

Old
05-13-2014, 04:19 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The sum total of the posts in the entire thread made were mocking the team and the result from yesterday's game.......

The ridicule is well earned.
Indeed. The guy basically gave up after game 6, said the OKs had no chance and he had no faith in any Edmonton team any more. He deserves to be mocked, even if in jest. Good thing the team didn't cave like he did.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Nabru
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
London isn't that good this year.

The Storm didn't break a sweat beating them them the first time.

Guelph won't be tired either. They have a 10 day break between games.
The Storm also didn't have a 45 goal man Brock McGinn available for the London series. He was suspended but he's back now.

But London didn't have Christian Dvorak (will be drafted in the top 4 rounds this year), or their two of their top 3 d-men (Brady Austin and Zach Bell). Their starting goalie was also suspended for the entire Guelph series. Domi had a separated shoulder in the playoffs but all 5 of Dvorak, Austin, Bell, Stolarz, and Domi are available for the Mem Cup. All of them have been medically cleared.

London still managed to keep each game close against Guelph with a forward playing D and a 17 year old free agent in their top 5. They even beat Guelph 7-2 on home ice.

Guelph has two number 1 lines and a very good third line which is equivalent to a normal team's second line. They don't use their fourth line. Their D can all move the puck well but they can be exposed in their own end if you hit them.

London doesn't rely on one line. Now that their forwards are back to full strength, they have 3.5 strong lines. Not as offensively potent as Guelph, but it will be a lot closer now that London has their players back. London try to play a more defensive game then Guelph but they've had more injuries to deal with and Maatta making the NHL underaged, coupled with Zadorov only being here for half the year, made things difficult. Stolarz also missed two months with a skate that cut his leg that required 55 stitches.

They still managed another plus 100 pt. season over 68 games despite this.

Hard to choose between London and Guelph, let alone two other league champions.

Last edited by Nabru: 05-13-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Nabru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 04:44 PM
MoneyGuy

The host team doesn't have as much incentive to win the league so they generally don't play as well. I expect the tourney to be good and hope the Oil Kings can ride the Pelss train to a national title to match that of the Golden Bears.

Old
05-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Nabru
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
The host team doesn't have as much incentive to win the league so they generally don't play as well. I expect the tourney to be good and hope the Oil Kings can ride the Pelss train to a national title to match that of the Golden Bears.
I disagree with this. Winning the League Championship means a hell of a lot. It's a banner in your rafters. London was definitely trying to win the OHL this year for a number of reasons. Would have been a three peat if they had done so. They did not want to "back door" their way to the Cup.

Nabru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 05:34 PM
OilerFan4Life

It's like when Alabama beat LSU for the national title a couple of seasons ago.

I'm sure Bama could care less that LSU was the "SEC champion". Alabama was the national champion.

Same holds true in junior hockey....London would rather win the Memorial Cup than OHL title...if they can only choose one.

Old
05-13-2014, 05:59 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
It's like when Alabama beat LSU for the national title a couple of seasons ago.

I'm sure Bama could care less that LSU was the "SEC champion". Alabama was the national champion.

Same holds true in junior hockey....London would rather win the Memorial Cup than OHL title...if they can only choose one.
Agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinvasion View Post
I disagree with this. Winning the League Championship means a hell of a lot. It's a banner in your rafters. London was definitely trying to win the OHL this year for a number of reasons. Would have been a three peat if they had done so. They did not want to "back door" their way to the Cup.
In theory, yes. However, if you know you're going to Nationals anyway, there just isn't the same drive and determination as if you know you have to win to get there. The Oil Kings were 100% committed to winning last night. If they had a Mem Cup berth guaranteed, they may not have had the same determination and may not have won.

Old
05-13-2014, 06:01 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
In recent history the following hosts were "not good" as you called London (in comparison to the other 3 teams) and still got to at least the Memorial Cup final:

2012 Shawinigan
2011 Mississauga
2010 Brandon
2008 Kitchener
2006 Moncton
2003 Hull

Now the one thing you have going for you in your argument is that the host has struggled in more recent memory in the championship game. Take away Shawinigan and these other hosts have been beaten in the title game.

In conclusion, recent history tell us:

London gets to the championship game and loses to either Edmonton or the Q champ.
Here's some corrections for you...

Moncton was the league champion and the host.

2003 Olympiques were the league champion and not the host. (Remparts went 0-3 in the tourny)

Mississauga lost in game 7 of the OHL final while being the host as well. It's not like they lost in the second round in 5 games like London did.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Brewster

London and Guelph are both very strong teams- not sure why some are writing them off.

Drakkar and Foreurs play game 7 today for the Q title. Not going to pretend I know a ton about either team, but it would seem to me that Val d'Or is quite similar to Portland in that they play a very offensive system (based on the scoring numbers for their team). Maybe we should be hoping for the Foreurs to win based on the fact we had success against the 'Hawks? It's a speculative advantage at best, but they all count.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Joey Moss

Don't pay too much attention to the OHL but Guelph looks like they have a really good team.. Six forwards with 78 points or more and 4 defenseman with 40 points or more.. Although Portland was similar.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I find it ridiculous in Memorial Cup and CIS National play that host teams get automatically in. Totally unnecessary and mocks the determination and excellence of all the clubs that have to work their way in. Regardless of host team results its a stupid concept.

Any host city that needs the host team represented in order to sell tickets to a hockey championships in Canada shouldn't be hosting them in the first place.

Any championship infers that the clubs represented are champions of something. The host team concept tarnishes that. What fan really likes this?

Even if its in Edmonton I don't want the Oil Kings in if they didn't deserve it. No host city fans should want that. Its crass marketing manipulation and nothing more.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Agree with this.

In theory, yes. However, if you know you're going to Nationals anyway, there just isn't the same drive and determination as if you know you have to win to get there. The Oil Kings were 100% committed to winning last night. If they had a Mem Cup berth guaranteed, they may not have had the same determination and may not have won.
That's one reason why I never liked this format. What if the host team is a terrible team?

I wish they go back to the old format and have the Eastern teams duke it out in a best of 7, then the Western team can play in a best of 7 too.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
That's one reason why I never liked this format. What if the host team is a terrible team?

I wish they go back to the old format and have the Eastern teams duke it out in a best of 7, then the Western team can play in a best of 7 too.
The traditionalist in me wants something like what you are suggesting.

However, i often wonder if you had a tournament similar to the NCAA March Madness tourny. Something like a 16 team, single elimination tourny. Every game for two weeks would be a game 7 type setting with massive upsets and Cinderella stories.

The reason i kinda hate the Memorial Cup is because its exactly the same format as almost every tournament that exists from novice to AAA. In theory every year you have 60 teams competing for one trophy. There has to be a better way than the current format.

I have an even better suggestion but when i tell people about my idea they think i'm so way out there and call it crazy. So i won't suggest it in public out of fear of being treated like an HFBryzgalov .

Last edited by Fixed to Ruin: 05-14-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

I wonder how Mantha will perform with Reinhart and Lazar all over him all game, I like the OKs chances.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 12:58 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I wonder how Mantha will perform with Reinhart and Lazar all over him all game, I like the OKs chances.
They should have a good chance.

The Drakkar are basically the OKs of the QMJHL. They were the best defensive team in their league with top notch coaching. They came so close to beating them, but they didn't have a Reinhart.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
They should have a good chance.

The Drakkar are basically the OKs of the QMJHL. They were the best defensive team in their league with top notch coaching. They came so close to beating them, but they didn't have a Reinhart.
I may be off base however, "best defensive team in the QMJHL" still doesn't seem like they would be at the same level defensively as the same in the WHL.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I find it ridiculous in Memorial Cup and CIS National play that host teams get automatically in. Totally unnecessary and mocks the determination and excellence of all the clubs that have to work their way in. Regardless of host team results its a stupid concept.

Any host city that needs the host team represented in order to sell tickets to a hockey championships in Canada shouldn't be hosting them in the first place.

Any championship infers that the clubs represented are champions of something. The host team concept tarnishes that. What fan really likes this?

Even if its in Edmonton I don't want the Oil Kings in if they didn't deserve it. No host city fans should want that. Its crass marketing manipulation and nothing more.
Host teams almost always load up and just trash their teams to be competitive for the tourney so it's often not that bad of a thing as in a really awful team getting in. Also I think you are wrong about the attendance. If they had the mem cup here and the kings were not in it attendance would take big hit.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 01:33 PM
PumpkinBomb

For Val-D'or if the Oil Kings stay out of the Penalty Box they will have no problems.

Mantha may get 1 ES goal, but no more. He will convert on at least 25% of his PP's. (That's factoring in the OK's goaltending and D. Against a normal team he'd be like 30-40%).
Portland was similar, with a rocking PP, so it's not totally different. But Val-D'or is very physical, much like the Oil Kings, so there may be more pressure to take penalties (on both sides.)

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 02:02 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I may be off base however, "best defensive team in the QMJHL" still doesn't seem like they would be at the same level defensively as the same in the WHL.
Probably, but the Drakkar did have some pretty decent two-way talent.

Charles Hudon made Team Canada. Felix Girard was invited to the camp.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 03:02 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post

The host team is very rarely terrible, they will usually sacrifice their future to make sure they are competitive that year.

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 05:11 PM
lopper

I predict a 2-1 round robin for the Oil Kings with wins against Val-D'or and London.

lopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:33 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I know what you're saying but Edmonton can't even sell out clinching games with the Oil Kings in it for the WHL Final. Now what happens if Edmonton isn't in it?

The best thing that can happen for the CHL is if TSN and their multiple networks now decide to nationally broadcast junior games like they do world junior games. NCAA that thing, hype the trileague-playoffs and Memorial Cup like it's the final four.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 04:59 AM
DethOfDragnz

Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
My thinking is that the team with the most points in all three CHL leagues would get to play in one of the elimination games for the Memorial Cup. All the winners of each league, OHL/WHL/QMJL and the team with the most points of all 3 leagues. If that team is already the winner of their leagues trophy, it'd go to the team with the 2nd most points in all the CHL. This year the team with the most points in all 3 leagues is the Kelowna Rockets with 118 points. They should get to play instead of the host team. So it'd be something like, Kelowna Rockets vs Geulph storm, Edmonton Oil Kings vs Val-D'Or Foreurs, and the winner of those 2 games will play for the Memorial Cup. I think that would be more fair. It'd also be a good incentive for a team to try and win and get as many points as they can in the regular season because that would guarantee them a spot in the Memorial Cup playoffs.

DethOfDragnz is offline   Reply With Quote