HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Simple stick Question

Old
05-14-2014, 08:58 AM
Islespuck89

vCash: 500
Simple stick Question

I started playing Ice about 6 years ago w/ a year off in between due to various non hockey related injuries. Before that I always played roller hockey. I always used a random stick in roller, Koho Jagr, Easton Shannahan, TPS Messier never looked at the lie specs etc. In roller w/ a ball it didn't matter and when we played in puck leagues I found it wasn't an issue. When I switched to ice I had to get a different stick cause my Roller ones where cut wrong I tried using them but it wasn't going to happen.

I have been using the Easton Sakic (P3), I am short 5'5 the blade is never flat on the ice for me, I always have to lean forward or keep the stick way out in front. When receiving passes it blows. It's great for up close and roofing, I am pretty fast, many times I have a partial breakaway I have to shoot or get caught I find that w/the Sakic if I don't get a shot off the sweet spot as we all know your shot goes haywire with this curve.

I found an old old easton synergy Modano that my brother had it is a 5 lie. Sakic is 5.5. I put on my skates took that stick wow the blade is flush no huge gap on the toe. I have determined I really need a stick w/ a 5 lie. I have been looking and it's slim pickings. I see the Easton p4 (camallari old modano forsberg), The p9 Heatley (seems impossible to find)

What are you guys opinion of the P4, I would love to use my backhand again, near impossible w/ the sakic. Would love a stick that is will be flat on the ice so I guess litte to no rocker. I don't take slap shots I use my wrister 95% of the time. the P4 has very little curve how will this affect my wirster? I don't shoot hard, I feel if I roll my wrists follow through the puck is going where my stick is pointing.

Any one have any curve recommendations? I don't really care what brand it is.

** I can't test the old synergy at the rink as the shaft has a huge stress crack and will shatter upon first shot, my brother thought he toss that stick 8 years ago.

Islespuck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:35 AM
AIREAYE

Well, stick length plays a huge part in this as well, assuming that your stance and technique remains constant. Lie is not as vital of an issue that many people propose when we begin to consider other factors.

How long are your current sticks vs your brother's?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Islespuck89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Well, stick length plays a huge part in this as well, assuming that your stance and technique remains constant. Lie is not as vital of an issue that many people propose when we begin to consider other factors.

How long are your current sticks vs your brother's?
Sticks are the exact same length! Both end up right under the tip of my nose on skates.

Last edited by Islespuck89: 05-14-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old
05-14-2014, 11:27 AM
althoma1

Try cutting the sakic stick so that it's at your chin on skates. That should make the blade lie flatter for you.

Stick length is personal preference, but the general starting point or rule of thumb is to have your stick at your nose when on your feet and at your chin when on skates and adjust from there as needed. Since the Sakic is playing too high for you, cutting the stick will help (if it was playing too low then you'd want to go the other way and add an extension).

If you don't want to cut the stick, then yes you'll need to find something with a lower lie. I use low lie curves myself and have tried the Modano/Forsberg curve. I don't mind the curve for ball hockey as it helps me keep my shots down, but for puck I prefer more curve. My favorite is the old Warrior Smyth which is a big mid-toe hook, but that's long out of production and will be impossible to find unless you order a custom Warrior (it's on their customizer). My second favourite low lie curve with more curve then a Forsberg is the Warrior Gionta (nice pure toe curve that doesn't open up much - there's a big sweet spot for backhand shots as the curve doesn't starts towards the toe), but again it's only readily available at the custom level. That was discontinued a couple seasons ago so there's a chance you may find some clearance sticks with that curve if you're lucky. The Sherwood Smith curve looks to be very similar to the old Warrior Gionta, but I haven't tried it myself yet. The most readily available lower lie curve that's not as flat as the Forsberg is the Easton E28 and now Warrior W28 - it's based on the Kreps pro curve. It's similar to a Sakic, but with a lower lie, more curve and the curve starts closer to the toe.

Last edited by althoma1: 05-14-2014 at 11:43 AM.
althoma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Islespuck89

Quote:
Originally Posted by althoma1 View Post
Try cutting the sakic stick so that it's at your chin on skates. That should make the blade lie flatter for you.

Stick length is personal preference, but the general starting point or rule of thumb is to have your stick at your nose when on your feet and at your chin when on skates and adjust from there as needed. Since the Sakic is playing too high for you, cutting the stick will help (if it was playing too low then you'd want to go the other way and add an extension).

If you don't want to cut the stick, then yes you'll need to find something with a lower lie. I use low lie curves myself and have tried the Modano/Forsberg curve. I don't mind the curve for ball hockey as it helps me keep my shots down, but for puck I prefer more curve. My favorite is the old Warrior Smyth which is a big mid-toe hook, but that's long out of production and will be impossible to find unless you order a custom Warrior (it's on their customizer). My second favourite low lie curve with more curve then a Forsberg is the Warrior Gionta (nice pure toe curve that doesn't open up much - there's a big sweet spot for backhand shots as the curve doesn't starts towards the toe), but again it's only readily available at the custom level. That was discontinued a couple seasons ago so there's a chance you may find some clearance sticks with that curve if you're lucky. The Sherwood Smith curve looks to be very similar to the old Warrior Gionta, but I haven't tried it myself yet. The most readily available lower lie curve that's not as flat as the Forsberg is the Easton E28 and now Warrior W28 - it's based on the Kreps pro curve. It's similar to a Sakic, but with a lower lie, more curve and the curve starts closer to the toe.
I love the Gionta curve, as you stated it's hard to find. I have a old synergy Sakic the toe of blade is separated but with a really good tape job it could survive a game or 2. i think I am going to cut that down to test it out.

Old
05-14-2014, 12:26 PM
AIREAYE

Another curve you could try down the road could be the Iginla or P88 variants. Think of it as an in-between for the higher lie, rockered and larger curved Sakic and the lower lie, smaller curved P4 equivalents. See what the length tells you first of course.

Old
05-14-2014, 01:48 PM
althoma1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islespuck89 View Post
I love the Gionta curve, as you stated it's hard to find. I have a old synergy Sakic the toe of blade is separated but with a really good tape job it could survive a game or 2. i think I am going to cut that down to test it out.
If you love the Gionta curve then you might want to try out the Sherwood Smith. It's currently in production so should be a bit easier to find. Of course, not all stores carry Sherwood and the ones that do don't always have niche curves like the Smith (they carry the more popular curves like the sakic clones ect.). I do know I've seen the Smith curve on Hockeysupremacy for the Rekker EK15 stick. I also saw that curve on a clearance N12 stick at a rink pro shop in Toronto (Canlan York) several months ago.

Old
05-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Another curve you could try down the road could be the Iginla or P88 variants. Think of it as an in-between for the higher lie, rockered and larger curved Sakic and the lower lie, smaller curved P4 equivalents. See what the length tells you first of course.
+1

I don't like the P92/Sakic as much nowadays as the sweet spot, like you said, is pretty small. The P88/Iginla style blades are very good all around.

Also, at your height make sure you are using an intermediate stick.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Islespuck89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
+1

I don't like the P92/Sakic as much nowadays as the sweet spot, like you said, is pretty small. The P88/Iginla style blades are very good all around.

Also, at your height make sure you are using an intermediate stick.
I always user intermediate sticks. I am going to cut down my old Sakic Saturday, I need to get over to my moms since I keep all my power tools in her basement. If cutting it down helps I think I am going to get the Iginla curve. I would prefer the Heatley as its the same w/ a 5 lie. The Heatley curve is hard to find and seems to only be offered on $200 sticks and I don't feel like spending that kind of $$. I def like those 2 curves as they seem to be balanced.

Old
05-16-2014, 07:46 AM
AIREAYE

If you're looking at their recent models, look for the E36.

Old
05-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Islespuck89

Quote:
If you're looking at their recent models, look for the E36.
I am going to order a Warrior AX4 w88 Zetterberg, this is the exact same curve as the E36 and looks to be about the same as the p88 bauer's w/ a lower lie. I got a free gift card to a online retailer so it's only going to cost me $17 out of pocket w/ taxes and shipping.

Old
05-16-2014, 07:51 PM
AIREAYE

It's not a lower lie, it's an exact clone of the P88. Warrior (used to) measure their lies differently.

Old
05-16-2014, 09:28 PM
althoma1

If you want a lower lie curve in a Warrior stick then I'd go for the W28 Yakupov curve - especially if you liked the Gionta. The curve starts earlier than the Gionta and it's more open, but the lie feels similar. It's the closest curve to the Gionta that Warrior currently produces on a non-custom retail stick.

Old
05-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Islespuck89

Quote:
It's not a lower lie, it's an exact clone of the P88. Warrior (used to) measure their lies differently.
Its a 4 lie so it's really a 5 lie in every other brand. I like the P88 and all there clones, the Lie on them are all 5.5 or 6. I went to the retail store where I have the gift car and messed with it. I ordered online cause it was cheaper.

Old
05-16-2014, 10:15 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islespuck89 View Post
Its a 4 lie so it's really a 5 lie in every other brand. I like the P88 and all there clones, the Lie on them are all 5.5 or 6. I went to the retail store where I have the gift car and messed with it. I ordered online cause it was cheaper.
Not true, like I said, they are clones.

I tell all of my customers to ignore the numbers on the sticks because everybody measures them differently.

Old
05-16-2014, 10:59 PM
Islespuck89

Quote:
Not true, like I said, they are clones.

I tell all of my customers to ignore the numbers on the sticks because everybody measures them differently.
I read that they are clones, I tested the P88 and the W88, the W88 laid flat and was flush on the ground for me. The P88 I had a good amount of toe in the air. Maybe the W88 has slightly less rocker or the lie is a tad bit less.

Old
05-17-2014, 07:11 AM
AIREAYE

It's probably the trick of angles lighting and color. Warrior explicitly acknowledged their pattern choice method. You could hold both by matching up the blades and seeing how the shafts line up.