HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help for a fat guy

Old
05-14-2014, 03:45 PM
gds23
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Help for a fat guy

I played for many years and even worked in hockey. The latter part is how I managed to quit playing about 15 years ago. I got so disgusted about the business of hockey I just left the game all together.

Fast forward, my son is 6 and playing and wanted me on the ice for coaching and sure enough, I got the bug back. Most of my skating has returned, though I still think about what I am doing a bit more than I would like. My big problem is my weight. I am over 300 lbs but want to start playing again this summer.

The local rink has a summer ironman league which is cross ice and only 15 minute games and the skill level is low enough that I should be able to hang skill-wise while my fat butt drops the lbs.

So to the actual question. Do I stand any chance of finding shoulder pads and pants that are going to come close to fitting me? 48" waist for comparison. I am not going to be laying out to block shots and it is a no check league.

Looking for advice.

gds23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 06:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Moved this to The Rink sub forum, you'll likely get better responses here.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:49 PM
God
Free Citizen

you might have to pony up a bit for special sizes. tackla makes pants in XXXXL (designed for 48-50 waist).

shoulder pads not sure. best bet is to go into your LHS and see if they have any recommendations.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Steelhead16

A friend of mine played in a league with a guy who wore 56" pants. Not sure wherehe got them but they do exist

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 08:12 AM
buddhaknows

gds23,

You're not alone. After 30 years I've come back due to my 6 year old getting the bug too. You're heading in the right direction for better health and being there for you child in the future. I'm a big guy too was 230 now down to 220. With new eating habits and additional exercise you'll drop the weight quickly. I went from an XL pant set up to a Large in 5 months. Keep on keepin on brother. You'll be glad you're back in the game.

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Canadiens1958

Stay on Topic

The topic is finding appropriate Equipment not health and fitness.

Stay on topic.

The Equipment is available - there are big NHL players(Dustin B, Winnipeg Jets). Post general info as to your location, willingness to purchase at a distance and someone will help.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Nibbler

vCash: 137
I played with a guy that was about 5'5" and weighed 350 easily. He was able to find all new equipment so I don't think you'll have a problem.

Good luck with the weight loss!

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 10:21 AM
flomarilius

I'm about 6-6'1 near 300. I know what its like to deal with equipment. So my setup is the following and it fits.
Bauer One35 Shoulder Pads XL (hangs a little high but it won't get you killed).
CCM U+05 Pants XL (buy a pair of suspenders and thank me later)

Pretty much everything else will standard

44" waist by the way

flomarilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:33 AM
gds23
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flomarilius View Post
I'm about 6-6'1 near 300. I know what its like to deal with equipment. So my setup is the following and it fits.
Bauer One35 Shoulder Pads XL (hangs a little high but it won't get you killed).
CCM U+05 Pants XL (buy a pair of suspenders and thank me later)

Pretty much everything else will standard

44" waist by the way
Thanks. I am in Florida so stores are out of the question. I just needed a head start on what brands would give me the best shot. About to call the place I get my son's stuff up in the Philly area.

Weight loss is on-going, playing will help drop more of that faster as I hate looking stupid so my competitive nature will have me pushing my limits on the ice far more than droning on with a treadmill.

gds23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 02:19 PM
elmariachi227

I would highly recommend that you use suspenders with your pants if you've never done it before. That means you'll also have to make sure that the pants have the hardware for them.

Also, have someone measure your chest so you can figure out the best option for shoulder pads. Some Xlarge go to 50" chest.

elmariachi227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My recommendations:

Tackla pants, about a size 56 because they run big. Great quality, expensive, maybe buy used?

Sherwood 9950 shoulders, maybe in XL or XXL? They also seem to run big. Minimal protection for non-check hockey, cheap, light, low profile.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 02:33 PM
buddhaknows

As another poster stated I believe it was God, check out Tackla. They make waist sizes as large as 48/50. I have Bauer Nexus shoulders. They are roomy in XL but don't cover my stomach area to well.

I remember seeing an ice hockey rink/pro shop in Tampa when I was visiting family in FL 2 years ago. My wife wouldn't let me stop.

I know I've been warned about topic but remember this when you drop the weight, and it will come off you're going to need new pants. I just recently picked up a pair of used CCM pro stock pants because the 5 month old Bauer Nexus 1000 pants are swimming on me.

Old
05-18-2014, 09:29 PM
flomarilius

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds23 View Post
Thanks. I am in Florida so stores are out of the question. I just needed a head start on what brands would give me the best shot. About to call the place I get my son's stuff up in the Philly area.

Weight loss is on-going, playing will help drop more of that faster as I hate looking stupid so my competitive nature will have me pushing my limits on the ice far more than droning on with a treadmill.
What part of florida? I am in Miami so believe me I understand that frustration. If you are in south FL go to the saveology iceplex to try on their gear. Usually, they'll match prices from hockeymonkey/IW. Be warned, because of this reason they only stock high end equipment.

flomarilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Sedinsquared

Just don't wear shoulder pads bro, I play in a very competitive gentlemen's league in Alberta, most of us don't wear shoulder pads. At your size, you'll be able to puck handle better without sand I'm sure there's minimal if any contact

Sedinsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 12:58 AM
g04tm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedinsquared View Post
Just don't wear shoulder pads bro, I play in a very competitive gentlemen's league in Alberta, most of us don't wear shoulder pads. At your size, you'll be able to puck handle better without sand I'm sure there's minimal if any contact
This does not sound like the best Idea? What about pucks hitting you? Not necessarily from blocking shots, but many things can happen in a game situation.

g04tm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
A great many of the guys I play with don't wear shoulder pads.

I always wear mine, but if you're having trouble finding some, I wouldn't sweat it much. The likelihood of you getting Chris Pronger'd is about the same as getting abducted by aliens.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 05:27 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sherwood...ts-t90-sr.html

HockeyMonkey has a pair of Sherwood XXL pants for $60 + ship. Unfortunately they don't list a sizing chart, so I'm not sure of the actual size.

http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/pag...ockey+Pant-+Sr

Perani's has a pair of Bauer XXXL for $89. Their XL is listed as being used for 36-40 and with the XXL being 40+, I'm assuming the range on those would be 40-44. My guess is that the XXXL is for 44-48. Of course this is a guess and it would probably be a good idea to place a call before ordering.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 02:35 PM
moreoutdoor

For shoulders you could try anything with adjustable front and back. Something old school like the Sher-Wood 5030s, which have lace adjustment front and back. Width adjustment is easy on these, and with no-check the sternum protection might not be a biggie.
Big issue is if you are wider below the sternum than above, just about anything will tend to ride up because the elastic straps will want to go from larger circumference to smaller.
You could ignore the elastic straps that go around each side, and just run some shinguard tape around that area - that should hold the pads down and in place. Shinnie tape is not that sticky to where its a problem to pull off when done - and cheap enough...

moreoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Do what NHL goalies do and jump into a Michelin Man suit.

The local mechanic might have an extra.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 04:31 PM
OTP Legend*

Good luck OP. Just get to the front of the net and plant yourself .

OTP Legend* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by g04tm4n View Post
This does not sound like the best Idea? What about pucks hitting you? Not necessarily from blocking shots, but many things can happen in a game situation.
Doesn't happen very often, had mine off for about a year and haven't had anything even graze me.

06-03-2014, 11:58 PM
JulianHopper*

Nevermind the gear but make sure you work out and get ready to play before you play your first game. Even if it's riding a bike to get your heart rate going because it won't take much once you get on the ice and you want to be sure you're ready.

I would also recommend some type of a cutting diet and getting in shape to play hockey and not play hockey to get in shape.

JulianHopper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 10:32 AM
buddhaknows

How did the original poster make out? Did you find anything? How's it been on the comeback trail?