HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marty St. Louis

Old
05-31-2014, 01:37 PM
NickyFotiu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Thanks, but I was hoping for something more like this:

LOL I can not say all that when I was one of the positive ones all along.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 01:46 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

I too have noticed a correlation.

Frankly, when we win I'm usually preoccupied with joy an when we lose I'm more likely to come here, and it usually makes me LESS negative when I see some of the posts people make.

I do remember people posting there was no way this team would get to the Finals and that we aren't a win now team and not one player away and yada yada yada. Those people should, honorably, admit they were wrong on that. Win or lose, those statements were clearly incorrect.

That being said, no one should need their admission and they don't really have to admit anything.

Just wait for the reactions here after we lose the second period 1-0 in Game 1.

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 03:50 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
I do remember people posting there was no way this team would get to the Finals and that we aren't a win now team and not one player away and yada yada yada. Those people should, honorably, admit they were wrong on that. Win or lose, those statements were clearly incorrect.
I made those statement and I stand by them. I did not believe that this team was a "win now" team or a "one player away" team. That can be debated at a latter time. RIGHT NOW, I am a little too preoccupied with my beloved team being in their 4th Finals in 42 years. Or something very close to that. This team has averaged 1 Cup each decade essentially for a very, very long time. Those that are 26 now, were 6 the last time that the Rangers were in the Finals. here are plenty of those. I would think that over half of this board were knee high to a grasshopper during '94. I have see more than my share of heartache and hear break as a Rangers fan. So for now, I want to enjoy the moment.

And as for the insinuation that I somehow do not post after they are winning because of not wanting to discuss things with those that I debated, well that is about as asinine an assertion as possible. I also was not able to come on here after some Ranger losses in these playoffs as well. That is called life and deals with work and children and responsibilities. Not for lack of debate why a 72 game sample is better than 80. Or why my beliefs about the MSL trade are what they are.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 11:01 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I made those statement and I stand by them. I did not believe that this team was a "win now" team or a "one player away" team. That can be debated at a latter time. RIGHT NOW, I am a little too preoccupied with my beloved team being in their 4th Finals in 42 years. Or something very close to that. This team has averaged 1 Cup each decade essentially for a very, very long time. Those that are 26 now, were 6 the last time that the Rangers were in the Finals. here are plenty of those. I would think that over half of this board were knee high to a grasshopper during '94. I have see more than my share of heartache and hear break as a Rangers fan. So for now, I want to enjoy the moment.

And as for the insinuation that I somehow do not post after they are winning because of not wanting to discuss things with those that I debated, well that is about as asinine an assertion as possible. I also was not able to come on here after some Ranger losses in these playoffs as well. That is called life and deals with work and children and responsibilities. Not for lack of debate why a 72 game sample is better than 80. Or why my beliefs about the MSL trade are what they are.
I didn't call you out at all. In fact, I said I'm less likely to come here after a win than I am a loss because I'm too damn excited about it.

But in fairness, if you said "I don't think McDonagh can win the Norris," and person X said "I think he has a great shot to do it," and you said "no, he doesn't," and then he does win it, or becomes a finalist, that makes you incorrect. Of course you judge a statement about future predictions later on when they have a chance to be fulfilled. When else would you judge it?

But yes, I am with you. I can't believe we're in the Finals. It's such an amazing feeling.

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:45 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
But in fairness, if you said "I don't think McDonagh can win the Norris," and person X said "I think he has a great shot to do it," and you said "no, he doesn't," and then he does win it, or becomes a finalist, that makes you incorrect. Of course you judge a statement about future predictions later on when they have a chance to be fulfilled. When else would you judge it?

But yes, I am with you. I can't believe we're in the Finals. It's such an amazing feeling.
Fair on all counts. Believe it or not, this weekend was actually nice not to have to worry about the Rangers. Those butterflies will start tomorrow morning.

Old
06-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
Quote:
Fair on all counts. Believe it or not, this weekend was actually nice not to have to worry about the Rangers. Those butterflies will start tomorrow morning.
Yep, I can agree on that. I don't expect to have an ounce of fun in the next two weeks.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 04:08 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I was one of the people and mentioned many times how wrong i was about that. Did not think they had a chance at getting here.

MSL worked out better than probably any of us thought.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 05:32 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
I made those statement and I stand by them. I did not believe that this team was a "win now" team or a "one player away" team. That can be debated at a latter time.
There is nothing left to debate. If making the SCF isn't enough to classify a team as "win now" than I don't know what else to say.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
I was one of the people and mentioned many times how wrong i was about that. Did not think they had a chance at getting here.

MSL worked out better than probably any of us thought.
Certainly better than Lupica thought.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 08:10 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
There is nothing left to debate. If making the SCF isn't enough to classify a team as "win now" than I don't know what else to say.
The team was deemed to be a win now team before the year was over. Looking back in retrospect to what round they make to does not change that. They would have still been deemed to be a win now team even if they got bounced by Philly.

Old
06-02-2014, 08:31 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
The team was deemed to be a win now team before the year was over. Looking back in retrospect to what round they make to does not change that. They would have still been deemed to be a win now team even if they got bounced by Philly.
While that's true, there is definitely a difference between a win-now team that actually wins now, and one that doesn't. If the teams wins, the sacrifices made in order to win now are a lot easier to swallow.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 09:06 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
While that's true, there is definitely a difference between a win-now team that actually wins now, and one that doesn't. If the teams wins, the sacrifices made in order to win now are a lot easier to swallow.
Agreed.

Old
06-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer26 View Post
Stamkos and Marty are close friends. Stammer was at Marty's mom funarals. It would not surprise me on bit if Marty is still here playing that Stamkos comes over. I am sure he is not to please with his GM Either
Stamkos is not pleased with Yzerman? Is that what you're saying?

What are you basing that on?

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 01:44 PM
NickyFotiu

Almost every (not every) team in the playoffs is in some sort of win now situation. That does not mean you ignore the future but you also have to realize that you never know when injuries or age can effect your teams best players. Building for 5-7 years from now is not realistic for teams already in the playoffs.

Old
06-02-2014, 03:47 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Almost every (not every) team in the playoffs is in some sort of win now situation.
Being in a win-now situation in the playoffs and being considered a win-now team during the duration of a year are two different things.

Old
06-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Stamkos is not pleased with Yzerman? Is that what you're saying?

What are you basing that on?
Does that mean Stamkos will request a trade to the Rangers?

- Tanner Glass in game 84 of the Tanner Glass goalless streak in 2015
Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Does that mean Stamkos will request a trade to the Rangers?
To be honest I really don't know what Boomer26 was referring to

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Pizza

I'm not calling anyone out. I'll just point the finger at myself.

I was upset. Many of us were. About the different moves. The identity of the team changing. The way the team was playing. All of that does not take away from the fact that the Rangers have proven me wrong.

On the ice and in the executive suite.

You can say as opinion what you want about the team and the people that manage and coach it. And I did that. The things I wrote a few short weeks ago about this team, it's heart, desire, the moves by management...basically everything, was wrong.

I wanted Cally and Dubi as New York Rangers for life. I wanted to see those guys lifting the cup. I'm still not sold on the Dubi deal, but Cally did not want to be here anymore. He had every opportunity to stay and he's gone. Martin St. Louis has just proven what kind of leader he is. I don't know what was going on in that room. Very few if any of us do. But I can't deny what I'm seeing on the ice. Just my opinion, but MSL brings a level of skill and leadership that Cally did not rise to. In two days MSL will have been part of this team for three months. He's helped drive this team to a Cup final thru some very difficult personal circumstances. It's flat out amazing.

So being wrong in the wake of this is not really a big deal. I don't do hockey for a living. I'm a fan. That gives me the privilege of complaining like crazy and then being ecstatic when I'm wrong.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
All of that does not take away from the fact that the Rangers have proven me wrong.

Good on ya.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 01:09 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Being in a win-now situation in the playoffs and being considered a win-now team during the duration of a year are two different things.
You may not have understood what I was getting at. Lets say we did not try to "win now". Lets say we went ahead and "tanked" like 20% of the board wanted us to do this season. So we tanked and get a top 10 pick next year and tanked again and get a top 10 pick the following year. So now we have two 18 year old players who may not hit their primes for another 4-6 years. While waiting for these two draft picks to hit their prime Lundy gets to around 36. McD gets to around 29. Zooks gets to around 31. Nash hits 34. Brass hits 31. Hags hits 30. Staal hits 32. Stepan hits 28. Kreider hits 27. Guys like Girardi, Boyle, Moore, Richards, etc are long gone. So what did we gain by tanking instead of trying to win now?

Old
06-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Ail
Kidmograph tho.

Quote:
Yes they are but only because the latter does not exist. You either are a "win now" team always or you are not. Did a young Colorado team being in the playoffs suddenly make them a "win now" team when they were not considered one in September? The Rangers were a "win now" team all season who did not play like one much in the first 30 or so games. I doubted them myself. However adding MSL or making a deep playoff run doesn't make them a "win now" team, they did both of those things because they already were one.

Just give it up already.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ail View Post
Yes they are but only because the latter does not exist. You either are a "win now" team always or you are not. Did a young Colorado team being in the playoffs suddenly make them a "win now" team when they were not considered one in September? The Rangers were a "win now" team all season who did not play like one much in the first 30 or so games. I doubted them myself. However adding MSL or making a deep playoff run doesn't make them a "win now" team, they did both of those things because they already were one.

Just give it up already.
The 32 year old HOF-bound goalie is actually a good reason to be in "win now" mode

My issue always stemmed from the countless times (under Sather and prior) that the team shouldn't have been in win-now mode and insisted on being there anyway. What a cluster**** that was for so long.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 03:22 PM
poeman
To Win The One Ring

Marty needed a break after the last series in terms of refreshing himself for this series. I hope his desire continues on as this team will need him more then ever.

I hope MSL can be the pain the ass to Suter as he was during the Calgary series back in 2004

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 06:36 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'm not calling anyone out. I'll just point the finger at myself.

I was upset. Many of us were. About the different moves. The identity of the team changing. The way the team was playing. All of that does not take away from the fact that the Rangers have proven me wrong.

On the ice and in the executive suite.

You can say as opinion what you want about the team and the people that manage and coach it. And I did that. The things I wrote a few short weeks ago about this team, it's heart, desire, the moves by management...basically everything, was wrong.

I wanted Cally and Dubi as New York Rangers for life. I wanted to see those guys lifting the cup. I'm still not sold on the Dubi deal, but Cally did not want to be here anymore. He had every opportunity to stay and he's gone. Martin St. Louis has just proven what kind of leader he is. I don't know what was going on in that room. Very few if any of us do. But I can't deny what I'm seeing on the ice. Just my opinion, but MSL brings a level of skill and leadership that Cally did not rise to. In two days MSL will have been part of this team for three months. He's helped drive this team to a Cup final thru some very difficult personal circumstances. It's flat out amazing.

So being wrong in the wake of this is not really a big deal. I don't do hockey for a living. I'm a fan. That gives me the privilege of complaining like crazy and then being ecstatic when I'm wrong.
I give you a huge amount of credit for manning up and speaking the logical truth here.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 08:35 PM
KingWantsCup
#FightLikeHell

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Marty needed a break after the last series in terms of refreshing himself for this series. I hope his desire continues on as this team will need him more then ever.

I hope MSL can be the pain the ass to Suter as he was during the Calgary series back in 2004
Marty was the first one on the ice today. ESPN keeps rolling film of him alone shooting pucks. Our unofficial captain if you ask me.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote