HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

KLow and value

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 10:46 AM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I think Oiler fans' expectations in a Comrie deal have already taken a huge adjustment. Look at some of the ideas that have been floated around by Oiler fans- returns like Patrik Stefan + Exelby, or Nick Boynton, or Lundmark + Tyutin. I think that if people had suggested trades like this before the trade deadline, Oiler fans would have been up in arms over it. That these are starting to sound like good deals says a lot about how our outlook has already changed. I think we've already somewhat prepared ourselves for a disappointing return. We might still be disappointed, but I think it has sunk in that we're not getting Havlat or Spezza or anything remotely great.
well *I* for one have not begun to expect nothing but what comrie is worth back in return. in fact i will yell and rant (though it wont do a lick of good) if lowe does trade him for something that does not help our team greatly. is it really that much to ask for fair value in return for our player?? i think not

Old
10-04-2003, 11:04 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
All I know is that I'll be VERY VERY VERY confused if Comrie is delt for another forward.... we have more forward then we have spots for, and we need the defense. In my opinion it should be ONE HELLUVA forward if we do trade for one. Otherwise we should be trying to package Comrie with one of our other Dmen and try and get a top pairing blueliner...

Oh, and Yashin made it easier for whats his name (Muck wasn't the GM who traded Yashin) by not saying where he would and wouldn't go. BUT Lowe shouldn't have allowed Weight to say "I'll only go here or there". IMO he shouldn't even have been consulted - I know that there was the signing thing, but I think that we could have gotten better value some where else (even if he didn't resign with the team he was traded to). Lowe really salvaged that situation tough with the draft day deal of Hecht for Stoll & Deslauriers.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:10 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
The funny thing is when Slats got the team into the playoffs, he was a genious. When Lowe gets the team into the playoffs, he gets criticized. It doesn't matter what he does, he'll get critiiczed.
Well, that's just the nature of the GM job in professional sports. I'm sure Lowe realized it when he took the job, and I really doubt he loses any sleep over it. And you really shouldn't lose any sleep over it, Oilers89.

One thing I have to say though, is that when the Oilers made the playoffs in 96 and 97, the Western Conference was much, much weaker than it is now. I would be absolutely shocked if those teams would be good enough to make it into the playoffs now. Especially with the super-tough schedule the Oilers play this year (extra games against NW division, Western Conference, and other Canadian teams ... its brutal compared to the schedules of most other teams ... and tonnes more difficult than the schedules of any Eastern Conference team).

I think Sather's way of doing things became a bit outdated though, and he never really emulated those others who had success (or at least he never seemed to). But he did instill a real solid culture within the organization and amongst the players, and IMO his teams always played hockey that was fun to watch.

My two cents.

Closed Thread