HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around Hockey and the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Cigar City

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Bayless View Post
I'm no fashion expert, but does anyone else think that our uniform would look better with black pants rather than blue?
I've always thought the same thing, but need pics for verification.

Old
05-25-2014, 10:49 PM
Kramerica Industries

I used to think that, but royal blue and black would not be a good mix. It wouldn't bleed together like those atrocious underarm panels on the EDGE set did, but the Lightning wear a shade of blue too dark to be compatible with black breezers.

If they wore a shade of blue more in line with their original blue from 1993-2001, then it might be doable. Otherwise, the monochrome blue sweater/breezers/socks is just kinda gonna have to be that way.

Old
05-26-2014, 05:03 AM
BergyMeister
Sunburnt In Tampa

I see that some jerseys at the Lightning online store are a darker Navy blue instead of royal blue. Whats that all about?

Old
05-26-2014, 12:41 PM
berlin
wait...... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
I see that some jerseys at the Lightning online store are a darker Navy blue instead of royal blue. Whats that all about?
images look different on every computer depending on which browser you use as well.

Old
05-26-2014, 12:51 PM
BergyMeister
Sunburnt In Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlin View Post
images look different on every computer depending on which browser you use as well.
Understood but these actually say royal or navy. I didn't know if there had been a recent color change.

Old
05-26-2014, 12:59 PM
2MinutesforGiraffing
angelsil on safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
Understood but these actually say royal or navy. I didn't know if there had been a recent color change.
They sell them in both shades. The Royal looks better IMO.

Old
05-26-2014, 01:17 PM
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

Interesting stuff on Charlie Hodge, our ex WHL scout at the draft table in 2008

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...-tokarski.html

Quote:
Charlie Hodge, the scout who was responsible for Dustin Tokarski being drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the fifth round in 2008, has closely watched the underdog goalie perform for the Montreal Canadiens in the East final against the New York Rangers.

"I'm just pleased for him," said the 80-year-old Hodge from his Vancouver-area home. "When Tampa drafted him he never really got a chance to play. It's nice to see him getting a chance and playing well."
Quote:
"It was the year we drafted Steven Stamkos and by the time it reaches the fourth round it goes by pretty quick," Koules said. "There was an older, smaller man sitting beside me and I didn't know him until the week before. It was Charlie Hodge. You know, the guy who had won a Vezina [Trophy] with Montreal and won six Cups.

"He was kind of quiet and not really chipping in. But all of a sudden in the fourth round he starts banging on the table and nobody was paying attention. It's loud and kind of moving fast, so I said to him 'what's going on?'

"He said 'I'm a goalie. I don't care if he's small. He's a great goalie. He's a winner.' We talked for a few minutes and then I walked around the table -- we were three or four picks away -- and asked [then Lightning general manager] Jay [Feaster] 'what do we got?' He said 'we have this defenceman out of Finland.'"

Koules eventually convinced Feaster to instead take a chance on Tokarski.

"It was completely all Charlie Hodge," Koules said. "It was 100 per cent him and the fact that he won all those Stanley Cups with Montreal. It's neat that it has come full circle and that [Tokarski] is now playing for Montreal."
Quote:
"It's a big man's game now in goal with all that equipment," said Hodge, now retired from scouting, who was only 5-foot-6 and 150 pounds when he played for Montreal.

"The problem was [Tokarski] was small," Hodge continued. "But when I played I was the smallest. I didn't travel around back then, but I saw him play every time he came to Vancouver and he impressed me. He was a winner.

"Like I said, he needed a chance and it's nice to see him getting that chance with Montreal."
I can't figure out who that defenceman would have been. There weren't any dmen drafted after Tokarski from a Finnish league. Also interesting, if they were looking to draft a defenseman after picking Tokarski to make up for losing out on that other Dman, our next pick was Barberio.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 05-26-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old
05-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Stammer Time*
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Our next pick was actually Kyle de Coste. Only 6 defensemen were drafted between Tokarski and de Coste and none of them are Finnish. Two are Swedish so perhaps Koules got the nationality wrong as it was 6 years ago, Teigan Zahn was one of them who was drafted by Yzerman but with the previous scouting staff so perhaps the interest was there in 2008.

Old
05-26-2014, 11:50 PM
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish please View Post
Our next pick was actually Kyle de Coste. Only 6 defensemen were drafted between Tokarski and de Coste and none of them are Finnish. Two are Swedish so perhaps Koules got the nationality wrong as it was 6 years ago, Teigan Zahn was one of them who was drafted by Yzerman but with the previous scouting staff so perhaps the interest was there in 2008.
Oops. Completely passed right over his name haha

Old
05-27-2014, 03:38 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
Who's replacing DC for Lightning coverage in the Times? Smith?

Old
05-27-2014, 08:57 AM
MattM92

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Who's replacing DC for Lightning coverage in the Times? Smith?
Yes sir

Old
05-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Smith needs to get faster on twitter. The dynamic used to be that DC broke stories, but EE had the fan interaction.

There hasn't been an important story for them to cover since DC left, but on the minor things so far JS has lagged tweeting them out.

It may also be a transitional period for him, so the habits and 'infrastructure' to compete with EE on Bolts news may not be there just yet.

Old
05-27-2014, 12:05 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Smith needs to get faster on twitter. The dynamic used to be that DC broke stories, but EE had the fan interaction.

There hasn't been an important story for them to cover since DC left, but on the minor things so far JS has lagged tweeting them out.

It may also be a transitional period for him, so the habits and 'infrastructure' to compete with EE on Bolts news may not be there just yet.
You'd think DC would have given him a list of contacts since they're working for the same paper and DC is leaving on his own, not being forced out.

Old
05-27-2014, 01:10 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
You'd think DC would have given him a list of contacts since they're working for the same paper and DC is leaving on his own, not being forced out.
he probably has, but it's not like he can hand over the relationships he's built.

Old
05-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Moscow typical. Referees are human and make errors (especially when it favors a specific team.)

Old
05-28-2014, 03:36 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Moscow typical. Referees are human and make errors (especially when it favors a specific team.)

Wow, didn't watch the game, but those are some pretty brutal errors. When the officiating is that blatantly one-sided, I could see why people start to blur the line between bad officiating and biased officiating.

Old
05-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Crabby Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokedLightning View Post
Mucho confusing.

Old
05-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Pierre McGuire is apparently going back in for a 2nd round of interviews for the Pens GM spot.

Yes. Please. I like Botterill and BriseBois, but Pierre to PIT has to happen.

Old
05-30-2014, 04:47 PM
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

Quote:
Pierre McGuire is apparently going back in for a 2nd round of interviews for the Pens GM spot.

Yes. Please. I like Botterill and BriseBois, but Pierre to PIT has to happen.
Pierre and Crosby are a match made in heaven.

Seriously though I'd actually love to see Pierre McGuire as a GM.

Old
05-30-2014, 04:54 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Pierre and Crosby are a match made in heaven.

Seriously though I'd actually love to see Pierre McGuire as a GM.
I wonder how his useless knowledge of players when they were 6 will factor into his job as a GM.

Old
05-31-2014, 05:14 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

David Leggio is doing pretty well in the minors, but if Pierre gets hired, we have a replacement.

The possibility exists that Pierre McGuire is being interviewed so he can speak stream of consciousness and stumble on the DaVinci code of hockey.

I'd totally listen to a Pierre McGuire podcast.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 05-31-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old
05-31-2014, 08:05 AM
Kramerica Industries

Pierre McGuire seems like one of those people easily side-tracked from the original point he's making. I don't mind that, because I'm the exact same way. God forbid I ever post a diatribe here (I have, plenty of times, on other websites) because I'll probably go from talking about the Lightning blueline to talking about the pasteurization of milk or something by the time I'm done.

Pierre hasn't bothered me/bothered me in a long time because I've just learned to take his thing for what it is. The "Kristopher" Letang's, the what Jonathan Toews did in college and the relevance to TJ Oshie's Olympic shootout heroics, etc.; I'm all used to that and expect it by now, personally.

Old
05-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramerica Industries View Post
Pierre McGuire seems like one of those people easily side-tracked from the original point he's making. I don't mind that, because I'm the exact same way. God forbid I ever post a diatribe here (I have, plenty of times, on other websites) because I'll probably go from talking about the Lightning blueline to talking about the pasteurization of milk or something by the time I'm done.

Pierre hasn't bothered me/bothered me in a long time because I've just learned to take his thing for what it is. The "Kristopher" Letang's, the what Jonathan Toews did in college and the relevance to TJ Oshie's Olympic shootout heroics, etc.; I'm all used to that and expect it by now, personally.
I don't see it as much about him being unable to get to the point, although that does happen. It's that he doesn't know when to say (and not say) the things he knows. His answer is all the things, all the time.

That's partly why I'd listen to a Pierre McGuire podcast where he could just keep stringing things together without a game, context, or social norms to stop him.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 05-31-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old
06-01-2014, 11:13 AM
berlin
wait...... what?

So who do we think wins tonight? And who will be tougher for the Rangers to beat?
I think Blackhawks on both counts, mostly because of home ice advantage on the second question.

Old
06-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Top rated prospect Sam Bennett fails to do a single pull-up at combine.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/nhl-...ennett-pull-up

that won't haunt him for the rest of his career.

Pierre McUpdate:

@MarkMaddenX
Quote:
I hear Pierre McGuire is the leading candidate to be Penguins GM. Yikes.
https://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX/stat...08152523972610

Last edited by Felonious Python: 06-01-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Closed Thread