HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things NYC - Part II (Info explosion in post #1)

Old
02-04-2017, 08:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Wife and I are looking at Brooklyn and Queens for when her CU faculty housing allotment runs out. There are good deals to be found in Harlem and above. But otherwise, it looks like Brooklyn or Queens for us. Even there, the pickings are slim unless you can comfortably afford $2500+ a month or have a car.
If she works at Columbia and you likely work in Manhattan, check out the Riverdale section of the Bronx. Easy access to Manhattan, reasonable rents, safe. Only downside is there's no real night-life to speak of. But you're so close to Manhattan it doesn't really matter.

02-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Vesey Season
Approaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
lol - Queens is awesome buddy. You get the best of all worlds, I could not be happier
Amen. The best of all worlds quite literally, the borough of Queens may be the most diverse place on Earth.

I picture the "never leaving Manhattan" crowd like the "this is fine" dog chilling in their 300 sq foot apartment. This is particularly applicable to my fellow millennials struggling to make rent but refusing to consider the outer boroughs. Of course, if you are extremely wealthy, by all means Manhattan might be the place for you. But if I had millions I'd just get a dope apartment in Queens

Vesey Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2017, 04:06 PM
sbjnyc

I lived in queens my whole life. Sure I'd like to live in manhattan for certain conveniences but I'm really not into paying 3x for half the space while still having a 45 minute commute.

sbjnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 03:37 PM
patnyrnyg

To each his own, but I for one have absolutely no interest in living in Queens or Manhattan. Not crazy about where I am now (Staten Island), but would rather be in LI, NJ, or Westchester.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 04:17 PM
Irishguy42

I'm in Bayside, so it's basically like living on Long Island

Irishguy42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 06:13 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjnyc View Post
I lived in queens my whole life. Sure I'd like to live in manhattan for certain conveniences but I'm really not into paying 3x for half the space while still having a 45 minute commute.
How long of a commute to Manhattan can you get prices like that (3x less) in Queens?

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Irishguy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
How long of a commute to Manhattan can you get prices like that (3x less) in Queens?
From Bayside, I take the bus to Flushing, and then the 7 (usually express) into Manhattan (I go to Times Square).

That's about an hour commute right there. Obviously depends a lot on the bus though and how traffic is doing/how much the bus has to stop.

Irishguy42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2017, 07:52 AM
sbjnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
If I worked in midtown then maybe 30 minutes but I work downtown so it could take 45 minutes but usually an hour.

sbjnyc is offline   Reply With Quote