HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York City Thread #2

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2017, 07:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Wife and I are looking at Brooklyn and Queens for when her CU faculty housing allotment runs out. There are good deals to be found in Harlem and above. But otherwise, it looks like Brooklyn or Queens for us. Even there, the pickings are slim unless you can comfortably afford $2500+ a month or have a car.
If she works at Columbia and you likely work in Manhattan, check out the Riverdale section of the Bronx. Easy access to Manhattan, reasonable rents, safe. Only downside is there's no real night-life to speak of. But you're so close to Manhattan it doesn't really matter.

02-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Vesey Season
Approaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
lol - Queens is awesome buddy. You get the best of all worlds, I could not be happier
Amen. The best of all worlds quite literally, the borough of Queens may be the most diverse place on Earth.

I picture the "never leaving Manhattan" crowd like the "this is fine" dog chilling in their 300 sq foot apartment. This is particularly applicable to my fellow millennials struggling to make rent but refusing to consider the outer boroughs. Of course, if you are extremely wealthy, by all means Manhattan might be the place for you. But if I had millions I'd just get a dope apartment in Queens

Old
02-04-2017, 03:06 PM
sbjnyc

I lived in queens my whole life. Sure I'd like to live in manhattan for certain conveniences but I'm really not into paying 3x for half the space while still having a 45 minute commute.

Old
02-07-2017, 02:37 PM
patnyrnyg

To each his own, but I for one have absolutely no interest in living in Queens or Manhattan. Not crazy about where I am now (Staten Island), but would rather be in LI, NJ, or Westchester.

Old
02-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Irishguy42

I'm in Bayside, so it's basically like living on Long Island

Old
02-08-2017, 05:13 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjnyc View Post
I lived in queens my whole life. Sure I'd like to live in manhattan for certain conveniences but I'm really not into paying 3x for half the space while still having a 45 minute commute.
How long of a commute to Manhattan can you get prices like that (3x less) in Queens?

Old
02-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Irishguy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
How long of a commute to Manhattan can you get prices like that (3x less) in Queens?
From Bayside, I take the bus to Flushing, and then the 7 (usually express) into Manhattan (I go to Times Square).

That's about an hour commute right there. Obviously depends a lot on the bus though and how traffic is doing/how much the bus has to stop.

Old
02-09-2017, 06:52 AM
sbjnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
If I worked in midtown then maybe 30 minutes but I work downtown so it could take 45 minutes but usually an hour.

Old
03-08-2017, 08:38 PM
an Girar i

anyone know if they sell this Jacket at the NHL Store in Manhattan and/or at any of the stores inside MSG?

Old
03-19-2017, 02:44 AM
Pepper

Hi, couple of quick questions from someone who's visiting NYC for the first time.

1) What's the best way to get from JFK to hotel on 5th avenue near Empire State Building at 5-6pm (wednesday)? Cab, shuttle, train..? Price/time main considerations. Oh and we have some luggage of course.

2) Any chance of getting tickets to Isles-Rangers game on wed for "reasonable price"? Seats/section not important, anything goes. Stubhub only choice?

Old
03-19-2017, 04:52 AM
JRinNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Hi, couple of quick questions from someone who's visiting NYC for the first time.

1) What's the best way to get from JFK to hotel on 5th avenue near Empire State Building at 5-6pm (wednesday)? Cab, shuttle, train..? Price/time main considerations. Oh and we have some luggage of course.
A lot of luggage or something manageable, like a small rolling suitcase? If it's manageable, take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station (Make sure it's to Jamaica Station as there is another AirTrain to Howard Beach Station). At Jamaica Station, take a NY Penn Station bound LIRR train. That will leave you on 7th and 32nd/34th Street, right above MSG. From there you can walk the 2 Avenue blocks to the Empire State Building. Total price $13.50 ($5.00 for the AirTrain + $1.00 new MetroCard Fee + $7.50 for LIRR Jamaica to NYP off peak). You can read more at https://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

If it's not manageable, then your best bet would be a taxi. There is a flat rate on all NYC yellow taxis from JFK to Manhattan. The flat fare of $52 plus tolls, the 50-cent MTA State Surcharge, the 30-cent Improvement Surcharge, and $4.50 rush hour surcharge (4 PM to 8 PM weekdays, excluding legal holidays). You can read more at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/pas...l#AirportTrips

Quote:
2) Any chance of getting tickets to Isles-Rangers game on wed for "reasonable price"? Seats/section not important, anything goes. Stubhub only choice?
Check the "2016-17 Rangers Fan-to-Fan Ticket Resales" thread here on NYRHF board.

Enjoy your time in NYC!

Old
03-19-2017, 05:19 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinNYC View Post
A lot of luggage or something manageable, like a small rolling suitcase? If it's manageable, take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station (Make sure it's to Jamaica Station as there is another AirTrain to Howard Beach Station). At Jamaica Station, take a NY Penn Station bound LIRR train. That will leave you on 7th and 32nd/34th Street, right above MSG. From there you can walk the 2 Avenue blocks to the Empire State Building. Total price $13.50 ($5.00 for the AirTrain + $1.00 new MetroCard Fee + $7.50 for LIRR Jamaica to NYP off peak). You can read more at https://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

If it's not manageable, then your best bet would be a taxi. There is a flat rate on all NYC yellow taxis from JFK to Manhattan. The flat fare of $52 plus tolls, the 50-cent MTA State Surcharge, the 30-cent Improvement Surcharge, and $4.50 rush hour surcharge (4 PM to 8 PM weekdays, excluding legal holidays). You can read more at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/pas...l#AirportTrips
Thanks for the advice! We have 2 rolling suitcases so we should be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinNYC View Post
Check the "2016-17 Rangers Fan-to-Fan Ticket Resales" thread here on NYRHF board.

Enjoy your time in NYC!
Thanks, posted there.

Looking forward to our trip. Weather forecasts don't look that good, was expecting warmer temperatures but atleast it's not snowing.

Old
03-19-2017, 11:15 AM
GordonGecko
Custom User Title

vCash: 50
Forget the taxi at that time because of traffic (uber/lyft, actually, who takes taxis any more??). But yeah the air train and LIRR is your best bet on the reverse commute

Stubhub & vivid seats are your likely options for the Islanders game. You can also post that you're looking for tickets in the tickets thread here and people will PM you offers

Old
03-20-2017, 01:40 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Would you rather:

A studio in a nice building, perhaps even elevator/doorman
or
A true 1 bedroom in a dumpy dump building

Probably the studio, right?

Old
03-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Vesey Season
Approaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjee View Post
Would you rather:

or

Think it would depend on my living situation - do you live alone, or with a significant other? Do you have pets? All other things being equal (price, location, etc.), if I lived alone I'd probably go for the studio.

Old
03-20-2017, 02:17 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesey Season View Post
Think it would depend on my living situation - do you live alone, or with a significant other? Do you have pets? All other things being equal (price, location, etc.), if I lived alone I'd probably go for the studio.
Alone. No pets. Expect location to be the same. I'm living in a pre-war now, and I'd like to upgrade to a nicer building, I think that's important to me, for some reason. Superficial, I guess

I'm jumping quite a few steps here, as this is all based on me getting a raise that I need to fight for (but shouldn't have to fight too hard for).

Old
03-20-2017, 02:27 PM
GordonGecko
Custom User Title

Quote:
Would you rather:

or

I hate buildings with a doorman, so automatically disqualified I'm not going to blow that much money on something useless

Old
03-20-2017, 02:35 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
I hate buildings with a doorman, so automatically disqualified I'm not going to blow that much money on something useless
Any reason? Or just not worth the added cost?

Old
03-20-2017, 03:12 PM
GordonGecko
Custom User Title

Quote:
Any reason? Or just not worth the added cost?
Don't need someone holding the door for me, don't need someone in my business, don't need the extra rent cost, don't like having to tip them (not that I'm cheap, I tip well at restaurants & in cabs)

Old
03-20-2017, 08:40 PM
CJ Matthews

Quote:
Don't need someone holding the door for me, don't need someone in my business, don't need the extra rent cost, don't like having to tip them (not that I'm cheap, I tip well at restaurants & in cabs)
Don't necessarily disagree with any of these points, though after living in a building without one for 8 years, and now with one for 3, it's nice to have someone to accept packages and not have to worry about them getting stolen when they get left at my door like my old apartment.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:00 PM
GordonGecko
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Matthews View Post
Don't necessarily disagree with any of these points, though after living in a building without one for 8 years, and now with one for 3, it's nice to have someone to accept packages and not have to worry about them getting stolen when they get left at my door like my old apartment.
That's the only plus, but I have everything shipped to the office

Old
04-02-2017, 08:09 PM
jwelles17

Hey guys, MSG is doing a NYR dog playoff bracket, please take a minute and vote for Cooper so I can have a chance at my first ever playoff game experience!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSYrLtpA...by=msgnetworks

For a fellow Rangers fan and daily forum reader! Thanks!

Old
04-07-2017, 12:25 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Spending time in Manhattan for the first time in around 10 years, beyond Rangers games. Taking the train from Charlotte into Penn Station. Getting sushi in the Village at a place my uncle and aunt have been going for 20 years. Going up Freedom Tower. I know that second thing is really touristy, but I never got the chance to go up the old WTC.

We will see what else I do. Spending less than 30 hours there before heading to the outer suburbs in the Hudson Valley for the rest of my vacation.

Old
04-07-2017, 08:10 AM
GordonGecko
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Spending time in Manhattan for the first time in around 10 years, beyond Rangers games. Taking the train from Charlotte into Penn Station. Getting sushi in the Village at a place my uncle and aunt have been going for 20 years. Going up Freedom Tower. I know that second thing is really touristy, but I never got the chance to go up the old WTC.

We will see what else I do. Spending less than 30 hours there before heading to the outer suburbs in the Hudson Valley for the rest of my vacation.
Freedom Tower is a colossal rip off at like $34+ a ticket. Look for groupons and this month they have half price tickets after 7 pm ($17)

Old
04-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Freedom Tower is a colossal rip off at like $34+ a ticket. Look for groupons and this month they have half price tickets after 7 pm ($17)
My uncle already bought the tickets. Then again, he's not really worried about money. Thanks for the tip! If I go with friends one day I'll keep it in mind.

Closed Thread