HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

jaybo, jokien , van ryn, keenans next mission- what will he do

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2005, 09:21 PM
PanthersFanatic12

vCash: 500
jaybo, jokien , van ryn, keenans next mission- what will he do

I am guessing with luongo case solved for now. keenan will be looking to resign jaybo, jokien and van ryn . i hope he does, we for sure need van ryn and jaybo signed . jokien + draft picks maybe could be trade bait for a top 5 scorer. but if we can't get a top 5 scorer , then i say lets sign him too and leave money extra for trade deadline and next season.

Last edited by PanthersFanatic12: 08-28-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old
08-28-2005, 09:29 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo#1
I am guessing with luongo case solved for now. keenen will be looking to resign jaybo, jokien and van ryn . i hope he does, we for sure need van ryn and jaybo signed . jokien + draft picks maybe could be trade bait for a top 5 scorer. but if we can't get a top 5 scorer , then i say lets sign him too and leave money extra for trade deadline and next season.
The proper spelling is: Keenan

Old
08-29-2005, 06:05 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
The proper spelling is: Keenan
Did anyone not know who he meant?

Anyway, from the sounds of things Keenan is only close to signing Van Ryn, so I'd like to think he'd take care of that before moving on to the next problem. But this is Iron Mike...he doesn't negotiate.

Old
08-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Happy Girl

I'd focus on signing Van Ryn and Bouwmeester to solidfy the blue line and then worry about Joki. Offense is more fun to watch but defense wins series and Stanley Cups. Wouldn't mind seeing Jokinen go for another solid top dman.

Old
08-29-2005, 12:25 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl
I'd focus on signing Van Ryn and Bouwmeester to solidfy the blue line and then worry about Joki. Offense is more fun to watch but defense wins series and Stanley Cups. Wouldn't mind seeing Jokinen go for another solid top dman.
I would. It would be nice to see one player develop into a star here and not get traded immediately.

I'd look for trades for picks or prospects with teams over the cap - players can be plucked below value ala the Roenick deal.

Old
08-29-2005, 03:00 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl
I'm sorry to sound a little more realistic here but think about it, if we trade Jokinen, WHO is going to score our goals up front consitently. Jokinen is Florida's only symbol of consistency the past few years. Nieuwy, Roberts, probably Weiss, Huselius and Horton will score some goals but if we trade Olli for a defensman when our defense is no longer as much of a problem, there goes 30 goals out the window right there if not more for a #1 dman. We can't trade Olli and not get a forward to replace him either via the same deal or something else.

Old
08-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7
I would. It would be nice to see one player develop into a star here and not get traded immediately.

I'd look for trades for picks or prospects with teams over the cap - players can be plucked below value ala the Roenick deal.
I dont see Jokinen getting any better than what we see now. I think he's reached his potential.

Old
08-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7

I'd love to see the panthers get roenick just to watch nieuwy smack him around in practice.

Old
09-02-2005, 10:33 PM
slumpy43

The Miami Herald reports:

Quote:
• After failing to sign Roberto Luongo to a long-term deal -- despite making a fair offer -- the Panthers are having problems re-signing leading scorer and restricted free agent Olli Jokinen, who wants between $4 million and $5 million per year.Agent Mark Gandler said Jokinen, who could be an unrestricted free agent next summer, is ''frustrated at the lack of progress and commitment. I will not allow Olli to be grossly underpaid.'' Gandler said he and the Panthers ''can't agree on anything.'' GM Mike Keenan declined comment.
Keenan is definitely playing hardball with everyone of his players. This guy has no flexibility. He's a real dictator. I'm afraid this might translate into the loss of several good players in the future.

Old
09-03-2005, 01:07 AM
silver_made*

IMO the only mistake Keenan has made is not giving in to Luongo's demands.

Luongo is irreplaceable, as opposed to Jokinen, Bouwmeester, and Van Ryn. All 3 have proved nothing and deserve to be paid accordingly. Jokinen wants to walk? fine; he may seem like a superstar on a ****** FLA team, but he is a 2nd liner tops just about everywhere else. Van Ryn has had 1 productive season, not even worthy of an all-star selection; sorry, i need to see more. Bouwmeester? Included on the past three Canadian World Championship squads (2 golds, 1 Outstanding Dman nod) and recent member of recent World Cup winning Canadian roster - but here is the kicker: all of that happened OUTSIDE of the nhl! Sorry, you don't raise your NHL value w/ play in 7-game international-level tournaments. You, too, have proven nothing, Bo-Bo.

In short, couldn't give a damn about these 3. Frankly, I like how Keenan is not letting his players hold the franchise for ransom.

I am now understanding why Keenan overloaded on dmen and centers. Keenan has brushed many people the wrong way, but he is no idiot.

Hey, on the bright side for those of you Van Ryn/Bouwmeester/Jokinen mourners, just think of it like this: more money to offer Roberto!

Old
09-03-2005, 09:19 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Van Ryn i'm not worried about cause he's stated he'll play for his QO if they can't come up with a long term contract.

Bouwmeester is retarded if he thinks he's going to be paid 3 to 4 mil per. Let's trade him for Nash or Pitkanen and we can makeup for the mistake of drafting him.

Jokinen, well he's probally going to be traded. He should get 3.5 TOPS. I just don't think we'll get that good of a return or you would've seen Datsyuk traded by now.

Old
09-03-2005, 02:14 PM
PanthersFanatic12

if u were keenan and are planning to possible trade jokien , who would be suitable replacements for him, in ur opinion .
some players i like
1)milan hejduk
2) Marian Gaborik
3) ilya kovalchuk
4) colin white ( new jersey needs to trade, maybe another defensemen wouldn't hurt)
6) bill guerin
7) todd bertuzzi
8) viktor kozlov
theses are just some i like , in no particular order that i would like to trade jokien for , but of course id offer jokien with some draft picks to make the deal more fair.
anywho who do u think will be a good replacement for jokien ?

Last edited by PanthersFanatic12: 09-03-2005 at 03:09 PM.
Old
09-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo#1
if u were keenan and are planning to possible trade jokien , who would be suitable replacements for him, in ur opinion .
some players i like
1)milan hejduk
2) alexander tanguay
3) victor kozlov
4) ilya kovalchuk
5) colin white ( new jersey needs to trade, maybe another defensemen wouldn't hurt)
6) bill guerin
7) todd bertuzzi
theses are just some i like , in no particular order that i would like to trade jokien for , but of course id offer jokien with some draft picks to make the deal more fair.
anywho who do u think will be a good replacement for jokien ?

It's Viktor Kozlov. Why on earth would we want him back expecially for Jokinen. Kozlov can be had for an mid round draft pick. Colin White? Can be had alot cheaper than Jokinen. Not to mention White would be our highest payed dman

Old
09-03-2005, 08:36 PM
not quite yoda

Am I right to think that the panthers may consider moving Bouwmeester?

Old
09-03-2005, 08:57 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Am I right to think that the panthers may consider moving Bouwmeester?
At this point i'd say it's a very good possibility.

Old
09-03-2005, 09:03 PM
not quite yoda

Here's something I don't understand about thisa organization.

There was talk about moving Luongo and taking his words seriously, you would think that he'll either leave as a UFA in 2 years or be traded before. Your D is built around Van Ryn and Bouwmeester and there are contract squabbles with those two. Your captain and leader is Jokinen and he isn't signed either. What is wrong? You do realize that WHOEVER is your core you are going to have to pay somebody big money at some point. I would think that having Meester, Berto and (to a lesser extent) Olli is a priviledge.

I see Keenan was quick to bid high on Joe, Roberts and Gelinas and whatever other old foggies. Why spend high on supporting cast veterans and not do everything to hold on to your young core?

Old
09-03-2005, 09:05 PM
not quite yoda

And on to another question. If in fact looking to move Bouwmeester, what would Keenan be looking in return?

It's a given that he won't get a single young player of equal stature in return. So you can forget that Pitkannen thought.

Old
09-03-2005, 10:08 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:

There was talk about moving Luongo and taking his words seriously, you would think that he'll either leave as a UFA in 2 years or be traded before. Your D is built around Van Ryn and Bouwmeester and there are contract squabbles with those two. Your captain and leader is Jokinen and he isn't signed either. What is wrong? You do realize that WHOEVER is your core you are going to have to pay somebody big money at some point. I would think that having Meester, Berto and (to a lesser extent) Olli is a priviledge.

I see Keenan was quick to bid high on Joe, Roberts and Gelinas and whatever other old foggies. Why spend high on supporting cast veterans and not do everything to hold on to your young core?
While I agree that these "core" guys should've been locked up by now, I also believe agents are trying to take advantage of the lost revenue last season. I disagree with this "bid high for old foggys" stuff. When this all started we had 5 players under contract. We have these 3 RFA's waiting for their payday, and the rest of our team was filled out with AHL players. We need someone, anyone with experience to contribute to our team. The "high" bid on these guys? 2 mil. each (approx.) Luongo, Jaybo, and Jokinen want nowhere near that amount. If this team was going to be competitive, they needed to get above the cap floor. It is my belief (in contrary to many others) that the signing of the vets and the signing of these 3 are not related. These are my feelings about the whole thing.

P.S. This "core" that you want to throw all the money at, last season we had them all, under contract, with the rest of the team filled out with cheap rooks. We all know how THAT turned out.

Old
09-03-2005, 10:25 PM
not quite yoda

Oh you misunderstand me. I don'w "want" FLA to throw money at this core. I just believe that it is of great importance to have everyone, especialy your most important players, signed and happy before camps start.

But being in MTL, I have nothing against Jokinen and Luongo's agents thinking trade. They are welcome here. I don't like Meester much but he would be an improvement on say Rivet.

Old
09-04-2005, 04:27 AM
Acadmus

Quote:

What is wrong? You do realize that WHOEVER is your core you are going to have to pay somebody big money at some point. I would think that having Meester, Berto and (to a lesser extent) Olli is a priviledge.
Keenanomics?

Seriously, though. It's that "at some point" that's a sticky issue. Bouwmeester has only been in the league for two seasons and, though he's our #1 defenseman, he really isn't good enough to be our #1 defenseman (just no better options). Now he wants to be paid like a star though he has yet to play like one. Jokinen has had two good seasons (and not great seasons) and now wants to be paid like some of the best in the league, despite never cracking the top 25 in points. Luongo, on the other hand, was offered more money than he even was supposedly asking for in the first place, and almost $2 million more than he got in 3rd party arbitration. I think the sticking point with him is that he wants to become an unrestricted free agent at the earliest possible time so he can get big bucks on the open market from a team that has a $39 million payroll (vs. Panthers $28-32 million). The Panthers want to lock him up long term. So I think the issue there isn't so much the Panthers not willing to pay him, but not willing to pay him 1/4 of their entire budget to secure him for 5 years.

Van Ryn also is probably aiming for this, since the Panthers and he were reputedly not far off on $$.

Old
09-07-2005, 12:08 PM
DuklaNation

Jokinen is asking for too much but his stats are better than they look considering waht he has to work with. I'd do the same if I were him. Look for big bucks or sign a 1yr deal and walk. Just taking a chance if he gets injured.

Old
09-07-2005, 12:52 PM
NorthOiler

Ryan Smyth for Olli Jokinen???

Old
09-07-2005, 01:10 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo
I dont see Jokinen getting any better than what we see now. I think he's reached his potential.
He's close to it. But I can see him making it as an even more physical player, and better defensively AND still scoring some 10 points more a season.

No matter how you put it, Olli is an EXTRA-RARE talent.

Old
09-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:

POST OF THE YEAR

You just summed up alot of feelings around here in a more concise manner than any of us fence-straddlers/pessimists have been able to.

Old
09-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Panthro

Send a message via AIM to Panthro
If you look at the way Keenan has the contracts set up, it's pretty clear he would be ready to offer Roberto a max contract in 2 years. The fact that, for how good he is, he hasn't won or taken the Panthers anywhere they wouldn't have gotten anyway is the reason he isn't getting Bulin money now.

Closed Thread