HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Spezza to Nashville at the Draft

Old
05-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
I have to question if Spezza would even be a good fit with Laviolette. Doesn't his system revolve around and require strong skaters?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 01:07 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Benoit Bawls View Post
I never get this line of thinking when a mightily superior offensive player would be coming the other way.
For one contractually guaranteed year. Again, Nashville isn't in a position to start shipping off its young players for an older guy, albeit is a good older guy, who has a single year left. Nashville is a borderline playoff team, not a borderline contender.

Smith is a no-go. If Ottawa would rather have another forward instead of Ekholm or Ellis I'd go Wilson + Beck + 11th overall. That's about it, though. If another team beats that, that's fine.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
For one contractually guaranteed year. Again, Nashville isn't in a position to start shipping off its young players for an older guy, albeit is a good older guy, who has a single year left. Nashville is a borderline playoff team, not a borderline contender.

Smith is a no-go. If Ottawa would rather have another forward instead of Ekholm or Ellis I'd go Wilson + Beck + 11th overall. That's about it, though. If another team beats that, that's fine.
Yeah, agree completely.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 01:48 PM
FaceOfTheFranchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

Completely agree. I would be very hesitant to give up Ellis or Ekholm. Even the 11th gives us a chance to draft a high-skilled forward. In the end, I don't think Poile could/should offer the price of picking up Spezza for one year. If a long-term contract is agreed upon before the deal I would feel much more comfortable with the aforementioned deal.

Our D is set for a decade, no sense in moving out a piece of that, especially considering the dearth of forwards in the lineup and knocking on the door.

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Duchene View Post
Eklund posts here? What's his username?
Shockingly Eklund

Spezza would be a one year rental. Giving up a high first-round pick plus Josi is just not realistic. Two 2nds and Wilson should get the job done.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Hemmer Time

I understand that Spezza has one year left on his contract, but IMO he's a pretty good bet to resign in Nashville because of Fisher and he will get plenty of TOI, and not a lot of media scrutiny.

Personally, a trade around Jarnkok/Wilson + Eckholm + Aberg/Beck for Spezza. If Spezza resigns, then I'd want a 2015 1st coming back (I'd rather the 2014 1st, but that can't really happen so ya).

Hemmer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 03:28 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer Time View Post
I understand that Spezza has one year left on his contract, but IMO he's a pretty good bet to resign in Nashville because of Fisher and he will get plenty of TOI, and not a lot of media scrutiny.

Personally, a trade around Jarnkok/Wilson + Eckholm + Aberg/Beck for Spezza. If Spezza resigns, then I'd want a 2015 1st coming back (I'd rather the 2014 1st, but that can't really happen so ya).
Fisher is as good as retired after next season, and no to Jarnkrok.

Wilson + Ekholm + Beck and we keep the pick or Wilson + Ekholm/Beck (depending on if Ottawa wants defense or another forward) and a pick. That's as far as it goes. If other teams beat it, Ottawa still wins.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Soundgarden

Trade options: 11th overall, 2 2nds, Ekholm, Ellis, Beck, Watson, Wilson

Not on the table:Weber, Josi, Jones, Smith, Forsberg, Jarnkrok, Rinne.

I could see a trade for Spezza involving our 1st, Ekholm or Ellis and one of Wilson/Watson,

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 04:00 PM
King Karl
Swagalicious

This discussion is surprisingly civilized compared to other Spezza threads. I think I like Nashville fans.

King Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Benny FTW
k

Senapreds Alliance is still strong.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 04:43 PM
GeauxPreds

I don't want to go anywhere near spezza if it's costing us a first this year. No offense to spezza at all in terms of his skills but A. He's older, and B he's a UFA in a year. I don't think the preds are one spezza away from being real contenders so if Poile is getting him I really hope it's for cheap. I'd much rather our 2 2nds +ellis+beck or so. I just don't understand why a team retooling to a younger skilled roster would give up younger skilled assets for a 30 year old UFA, even if he is incredibly good. If we give up a 1st+ for spezza Poile must be getting desperate, and that's worrying.

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxPreds View Post
I don't want to go anywhere near spezza if it's costing us a first this year. No offense to spezza at all in terms of his skills but A. He's older, and B he's a UFA in a year. I don't think the preds are one spezza away from being real contenders so if Poile is getting him I really hope it's for cheap. I'd much rather our 2 2nds +ellis+beck or so. I just don't understand why a team retooling to a younger skilled roster would give up younger skilled assets for a 30 year old UFA, even if he is incredibly good. If we give up a 1st+ for spezza Poile must be getting desperate, and that's worrying.
I think it's fair enough a trade considering he would be one of the 2-3 most skilled forwards ever acquired by the franchise, even if just for the one season. 11 isn't an asset to be wasted, but the likelihood of it turning into a premium asset like Spezza is pretty remote, not to mention the probable 3-4 years of development time the player will need to contribute at the NHL level. It's not worth mortgaging the future (e.g. Forsberg, Jarnkrok, Smith, Josi, Jones), but we can't forget that two of our most important pieces are 28 and 31, meaning there must be at least some semblance of urgency in adding offensive talent to the roster, and Spezza may be the best such player available.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

The more I think about it the more I feel Nashville shouldn't trade for Spezza. They should trade Weber for massive assets from the likes of Philly and trade Rinne to a team like STL for some big returns. Do a proper rebuild unlike us. It may take a few years but you will come out stronger than getting Spezza and trying to compete next season or the few after.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
The more I think about it the more I feel Nashville shouldn't trade for Spezza. They should trade Weber for massive assets from the likes of Philly and trade Rinne to a team like STL for some big returns. Do a proper rebuild unlike us. It may take a few years but you will come out stronger than getting Spezza and trying to compete next season or the few after.
We aren't trading Weber and probably not Rinne for the time being. We're already halfway through a re-build and there is no "proper" way to do it. Look at our defense corps Weber is the only player over 25 that's a key member of our team.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 05:21 PM
dan1el

I don't really think there's a trade to be made here. Spezza won't bring Nashville what they need, and I think Ottawa could get a better package from Anaheim/St Louis/Minnesota

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 06:48 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
I don't really think there's a trade to be made here. Spezza won't bring Nashville what they need, and I think Ottawa could get a better package from Anaheim/St Louis/Minnesota
Probably. What do those 3 teams have in common? They're contenders. As of this offseason, Nashville is not.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 06:53 PM
wilfred

I think Forsberg is the player Ottawa would be looking for

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 07:02 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
I think Forsberg is the player Ottawa would be looking for
We are building around our top young guys they won't be shipped off for 1 year older (compared to our core) players

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
I think people make too much of the "he only has one year left on his contract" thing. Way too much. NHL teams don't think that way, they see it as "I have a year to get this player under contract".

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 07:36 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack Flames View Post
I think people make too much of the "he only has one year left on his contract" thing. Way too much. NHL teams don't think that way, they see it as "I have a year to get this player under contract".
And if they don't get that player under contract they've screwed themselves.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
And if they don't get that player under contract they've screwed themselves.
naw, if he hasn't signed by the trade deadline you ship off to someone else and collect some assets. You can get more assets by retaining salary/cap.

Old
05-17-2014, 08:27 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
naw, if he hasn't signed by the trade deadline you ship off to someone else and collect some assets. You can get more assets by retaining salary/cap.
Based on this last deadline, I wouldn't expect a big return at the deadline.

Old
05-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Based on this last deadline, I wouldn't expect a big return at the deadline.
Miller and Ott netted Jaroslav Halak, Chris Stewart, William Carrier, and 2 future draft picks.
Halak was then flipped for Neuvirth.

Matt Moulson got 2 seconds.

Gaborik got Frattin a 2nd and a third.

None of those guys are as good as Spezza.

Old
05-17-2014, 08:47 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

If we gave up Josi or Smith for 2/3 a season of Spezza and 2 2nds or Frattin and mid round picks, i'd be really pissed. Don't forget about Vanek.

Old
05-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Benny FTW
k

Vanek is a unique situation. He publicly said hes testing free agency. And didn't Snow say he could of gotten a better return but couldn't to take back salary the offer needed?

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote