HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Goalie Would You Move?

View Poll Results: Which one goes?
Biron 54 68.35%
Noronen 17 21.52%
Miller 8 10.13%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Sam I Am

vCash: 500
Which Goalie Would You Move?

Well?

Old
08-31-2005, 05:52 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Let's move Adam Dennis to Rochester.

We need to do some thread consolidation.

Old
08-31-2005, 05:54 PM
jpb

Biron. At this point, the Sabres have seen what he is, and he isn't going to get any better. Noronen or Miller still have upside, IMO.

Old
08-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Takeo

I've been very skeptical of this enduring assumption that the Sabres will be major players in free agency next summer, but if we move Biron's salary and potentially get Numminen off the books in a year, we may be able to land a top-tier d-man and still be under the revenue sharing cut-off. Granted we have to extend Briere, but chopping another$2-4M off the payroll will put this team in a very flexible financial position.

Old
08-31-2005, 06:47 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
Let's move Adam Dennis to Rochester.
I really hope that do that soon. I don't know how far a standup goalie can go these days, but he's got to try, right? Why else would they draft a 20 year old goalie unless they plan on putting him in Rachacha asap?

Old
08-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Buffalo Stylee

Definitely Biron.

Old
08-31-2005, 07:05 PM
djhn579

Definitely Noronen.

Old
08-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb
Biron. At this point, the Sabres have seen what he is, and he isn't going to get any better. Noronen or Miller still have upside, IMO.
Agreed.

Old
08-31-2005, 07:53 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Get rid of all them and play Mckee in the nets

I voted for Marty. I really dont care who moves as long as someone does and we get good value, all I know is who ever gets moved is gonna become a superstar and will haunt Buffalo forever.

Old
08-31-2005, 08:32 PM
Jooce81

I wounldn't mind seeing them move both Biron and Miller, and getting a cheap FA backup (Dunham) for Noronen. Let's not kid ourselfs, this isn't a playoff team yet.. but I feel they will be very competitive, so we should give Mika the reigns and ride him.

Old
09-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Fan-of-#9

I can't believe an overwhelming majority wants to trade Biron and aim for a Top 5 pick in next years draft. I thought we all wanted the same thing here: the best chance of making the playoffs....

Anyways ship Noronen outta here for 2 pucks, a synergy stick, and some hockey tape.

Old
09-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Rowley Birkin

Biron if anybody will take him without giving us an inflated salary in return
Miller if anybody gives us a good offer for him.

Not Mika, at any cost.

Old
09-01-2005, 09:47 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Of all our goalies, I think that Noronen is going to eventually be the best of the bunch -- BUT I suspect that the best thing for this team at this time is probably Biron. Until we've seen them all in camp, there's no telling how this is going to shake out, so I'll be happy with whomever proves themselves ready to take it to the next level. I think we can all agree that NONE of them has taken it there yet.

It's my suspicion that Noronen will eventually prove to be the best of the 3, but I also suspect that it'll take a change of scenery to get him there. Take that with a grain of salt, though... I also suspect that Ovechkin needs a change of scenery to Buffalo to really break out.

Old
09-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
Not Mika, at any cost.
That's an absolutely ridiculous comment. I'm trying my harderst to appreciate your point of view (which seems to always be on the opposite side of the spectrum), but that comment is ludacris. Noronen is 26 and has accompished close to nothing. Your optimistic perception that he is the next Kipper is an absolute pipedream at this point.

Giving Noronen away for NOTHING would help this team more than having him around. In my view his poor play last season (11-17-2) cost us a playoff spot. He's also been somewhat of a headache and distraction to this club during his time here...absolutely no need for Mika at this point.

Old
09-01-2005, 10:25 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Giving Noronen away for NOTHING would help this team more than having him around. In my view his poor play last season (11-17-2) cost us a playoff spot. He's also been somewhat of a headache and distraction to this club during his time here...absolutely no need for Mika at this point.

So his 11 wins and 2 ties didnt help us get close to the playoffs??? Biron was injured and if it wasnt Noronen playing in those games it would have been Miller and what if he did even worse. Noronen contributed to this team wether you like it or not, when he hurt this team Biron hurt it as well, they all played like **** last year until the 2nd half when Biron got the #1 job which is not what a starting goalie is suppose to do, not wait until the 2nd half play solid all year...

Old
09-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
He's also been somewhat of a headache and distraction to this club during his time here...absolutely no need for Mika at this point.
Other than oversleeping once or twice, how he has been a distraction or headache? Not challenging your points, just curious if there's more out there than I'm aware of.

Old
09-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
Other than oversleeping once or twice, how he has been a distraction or headache? Not challenging your points, just curious if there's more out there than I'm aware of.
Well he's made his unhappiness/displeasure with not starting public several times. That's a distraction.

Old
09-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
So his 11 wins and 2 ties didnt help us get close to the playoffs??? Biron was injured and if it wasnt Noronen playing in those games it would have been Miller and what if he did even worse. Noronen contributed to this team wether you like it or not, when he hurt this team Biron hurt it as well, they all played like **** last year until the 2nd half when Biron got the #1 job which is not what a starting goalie is suppose to do, not wait until the 2nd half play solid all year...

17 losses hurt us more. If he just won a couple more starts and brought his W-L record closer to .500 we would have easily made the playoffs.

Old
09-01-2005, 10:37 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
17 losses hurt us more. If he just won a couple more starts and brought his W-L record closer to .500 we would have easily made the playoffs.
I understand that, but what if only Biron would have won 2 more games too ya know? I honestly have no preference as to who is moved, but you cant say Noronen didnt "help" the team, and I dont think he hurt it either...

Old
09-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Rowley Birkin

i knew it would happen. the great Sabres goalie debate: part 438544, here we go again.....

Quote:
Noronen is 26 and has accompished close to nothing.
He has accomplished no less than Miller {25} or Biron {28?}

in fact, i'd say he has accomplished more than those guys, outside of the Sabres organisation of course. but how can you expect him to do anything for the Sabres when he's never given the chance?

Quote:
Your optimistic perception that he is the next Kipper is an absolute pipedream at this point.
i don't think he is as good as Kipper. but yes, i think he has the ability to be the next 'suprise' breakout goalie.

Quote:
In my view his poor play last season (11-17-2) cost us a playoff spot.
that is total garbage. numbers are for fools, or for those that aren't able to see the bigger picture.

when Mika took over {december time, if i remember rightly}, the team was playing its worst hockey of the year. that is no fault of Mika's, who actually played very well during that short time Ruff gave him the reigns. the team weren't scoring and the D was just horrible.

the rest of the time Mika only had a cameo role. and you can't really count his late season performances after we'd missed the playoffs, which were poor, i admit. but the whole team's heads had dropped by then.

why not call up Biron's stats from that same time period mid season? Biron was awful for large parts of the season, and only played well down the stretch, when the team as a whole were playing well. this is no reflection on Marty. in fact, although he was good for the most part, he still kept making HORRIBLE mistakes at the worst possible time. remember that string of 4 or 5 games which we were comfortably wimming, only for Marty to crumble and we ended up losing in OT. if anything, thats what cost us the playoffs.

Biron played the majority of games, and for the vast majority of the season was the so called #1. so its his fault more than anyone's that we missed the playoffs.

Biron has been given every chance and then some by Ruff and co. Mika is not just up against Marty, he's up against the so called 'Biron fetish'. you can understand his frustration.

Quote:
He's also been somewhat of a headache and distraction to this club during his time here...
please back this up with facts.

Old
09-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
I understand that, but what if only Biron would have won 2 more games too ya know? I honestly have no preference as to who is moved, but you cant say Noronen didnt "help" the team, and I dont think he hurt it either...
JOHNBOY....

Biron was 26-18-5
Noronen 11-17-2

What if Biron could win 2 more games? well..What if Noronen could have had a .500 record? Yeah it would have been nice if Biron had one of the best winning % in the NHL on a .500 team, but that's aiming a little high IMO. Asking Noronen to have a .500 record is not too much to ask.

Everyone agrees that the Sabres played their best hockey in the 2nd half...but Noronen allowed 21 goals in his last 4 starts of the season, everytime we needed him most from late Feb until the end of the season, he let us down in a big way. He hurt our chances of making the playoffs, there is no denying that. After a good start to the season he went 5-15-2 to finish. That is UGLY.

Old
09-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
My personal preference remains to deal all three. Since that isn't the jist of this survey... I'd deal Mika.

09-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
i knew it would happen. the great Sabres goalie debate: part 438544, here we go again.....

I have the FACTS. I'm ready.

in fact, i'd say he has accomplished more than those guys, outside of the Sabres organisation of course. but how can you expect him to do anything for the Sabres when he's never given the chance?

He's been given chance after chance, it's been clear before every camp thjat Noronen has had a chance to be the #1, and he has never stepped up enough to earn it.

i don't think he is as good as Kipper. but yes, i think he has the ability to be the next 'suprise' breakout goalie.

Well that is still wishfull thinking.

Biron played the majority of games, and for the vast majority of the season was the so called #1. so its his fault more than anyone's that we missed the playoffs.

OK Marty cost us a playoff spot yet he won 28 games for us. You're making a lot of sense. Wins and losses do not lie. Mika ended the season going 5-15-2, that is what cost us a playoff spot...u disagree? Well it's a fact that if he went 8-12-2 instead we would have made the playoffs.

please back this up with facts.

I'm not diggin up articles from 2 years ago, maybe someone else could confirm it with you. I do recall comments he made to the media expressing displeasure with his situation in Buffalo, and quite frankly I don't blame him.

Old
09-01-2005, 11:50 AM
ajsonor

Quote:
Well he's made his unhappiness/displeasure with not starting public several times. That's a distraction.

If Mika expressed displeasure with the media, it wouldn't have been a suprise to the 20 guys he works with everyday and lives with on the road. If it happened, that didn't create the distraction, mismangment did.

Old
09-01-2005, 11:52 AM
djhn579

Quote:

He has accomplished no less than Miller {25} or Biron {28?}

So, after playing in over 1/3 of the games last season, he has never been given a chance?

After participating in 3 or 4 training camps, he was never been given a chance ? (he must have been sitting on the bench the entire time basking in his superior talent...) Please note that in several of those camps the Sabres were expecting him to come in and take the starting job, but he couldn't do it...

How many more chances does a guy need if he has so much talent?

Closed Thread