HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 - MTL @ NYR

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
I'll be surprised if its not Tokarski. He's the guy they bet on and unless he shat the bed last game (which he didn't) he'll be the guy going forward.

Sadly, I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Old
05-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Gary320

I think It's Tokarski until the end. I dont really think Therrien has any confidence in Budaj anymore. Tokarski did get better in the 2nd half of the game.

- Renamed the thread BTW to the Pre Game Thread for Thursday.

Old
05-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
I think you go with Tokarski again. Give him some prime practice time this week and let him mentally prepare for the start.

The problem is beating Lundqvist. Until they can do that, it doesn't matter who is in the crease the Habs.

Old
05-20-2014, 09:35 AM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

Montreal can win at least one this series, it'd be crushing to just get swept.

We were the better team yesterday, couple of unlucky goals and a lack of finish is the only reason we lost.

Old
05-20-2014, 09:35 AM
InsideOut*

I think MT made the right choice from the start and should stick with him. He was OK and got better as the game went on. I think we might see a stronger performance from him on Thursday.

Old
05-20-2014, 09:36 AM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Old
05-20-2014, 09:58 AM
habtastic

MT is an idiot if he doesn't go with Budaj tomorrow.

I don't get where all this lack of confidence in Budaj comes from. Look at his body of work in the last 2 years. It's extremely good. I have full faith in him given what the rangers threw at us in game2.

you wanna choose playoff games where he either comes in in a losing cause (e.g., when we decide to take that boatload of Prust penalties, including 5 on 3). I mean, that's not him. The team never played in front of him when he was given the net in the playoffs. Games were already over. Gm5 vs Ottawa, the TEAM sucked.

Gotta make amends NOW! Tokarski is not going to win it for us. You think Nash, Richarsh, St. Louis and co. can't go top shelf on that timbit on a PP?? They can score at will if they get close enough.

Nothing against the kid, but you have to go with Budaj.

Also, Lundqvist was solid. He wasn't stellar. Solid. And that's very respectable. But he's so beatable. He's not in any sort of zone. He's all over the place and coughing up rebounds like crazy. If the game is 1-0 or even 1-1, it changes the dynamics of how the rangers play and opens up lot's of space. Down 2-1, we STILL had a goal coming to us. Then the bs call changes everything. Point is, the first and second goals against pretty much decided the game (this is where tokarski shat the bed). I'm sure the rangers are thanking their stars that they won that game, and not just lundqvist, but just how easily they scored on their few chances.

Go with Budaj. Put up the same effort. Win.

Old
05-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Edgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
He burned the Budaj bridge by bypassing him for Dustin in Game 2.

I think he's made his bed. It's Dustin's net imho.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Man Rock Band View Post
And I hope Buds would just say "**** you."

If you stick with Tokarski tomorrow night, he's your guy for the series. You can't possibly go back to Budaj in a Game #4 down 3-0.

In my unprofessional opinion, I'm starting Budaj 100 times out of 100 yesterday. The guy has played extremely good as a Hab aside from one stretch (and it wasn't even that bad). He shut out the Rags earlier this year in a 27-save performance.

In 21 decisions this season, he gave up 3 or less on 17 occasions. He gave up 2 or less on 11 occasions. Yes, for a goalie who has been so bad.. he only gave up 4 or more four times.

What the **** more do you want from a back-up? He's a career 23-16-9 as a Hab.

You can look at his past playoff performances, but he's never been THE GUY, he's always been thrown in for mop-up duty. Yesterday was the shot to say.. Peter, you're our guy.. you can get us to the Stanley Cup for the first time in over 20 years.

Instead, we go with an AHL kid, who yes, has a history of winning in the playoffs and played well in 3 games for us this year, but his NHL numbers overall are very poor. And he's small.. and you have to be super good when you're this small or NHL snipers will pick holes through you like they can. His excellent game against Anaheim, while credit is deserved, was a lot due to Anaheim being too cute. How many posts did they hit in that game alone??
And this.

MT basically told Budaj he's a backup to an AHL kid with a total of 10 NHL games under his belt. If that's not a slap to the face, I don't know what is.

Budaj was a perfect backup, great guy on and off the ice according to his teammates and when when the time came to have the team to rally around him, he was relegated to 3rd on the depth chart.

Old
05-20-2014, 10:04 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Budaj or Tokarski, to me there's no big difference. But, man Tokarski looks small in the net.

Old
05-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Runner77

vCash: 4400
Dubnyk

Old
05-20-2014, 10:12 AM
habtastic

We have to do to the rangers what they did to us in 96.

Make the smart decisions, MT. Not the cute ones. Put Bournival back in. Weise > Prust at this point.

But Budaj back. Be level headed.

This is the Conference Finals. Don't let this slip cuz of your arrogance. We CAN pull through this. For Carey.

0-2 is not the end. Backs are against the wall, but we CAN absolutely do this. Just no more (or minimal) weak goals. Chucky and co. can snipe. I know they can. Again, stranger things have happened. But please please please do not start a goalie who doesn't know how to manage angles in the NHL and who leave 50% of the net open. Go with Budaj. Have a talk with Vanek. Coach!

Old
05-20-2014, 10:13 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Budaj or Tokarski, to me there's no big difference. But, man Tokarski looks small in the net.
Tokarski looked not as big as Price.

That's the only problem. Tokarski is playing in Price's footstep, and those are huge, both psychologically and physically.

Tork is what we have at the moment. The end. A this point, I am not even thinking about the series as a whole.

I am looking solely at the next game. Everybody should focus only one that one game, and stop worrying about "series over".

Old
05-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Runner77

vCash: 4400
A dart should decide the next goalie, for all I care. I don't think any of the available choices provide for a significant advantage one way or the other. What does matter is the intensity they showed in Game 2. Want to see more of it in Game 3 and who knows, anything can happen.

Old
05-20-2014, 10:18 AM
weedersson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
MT basically told Budaj he's a backup to an AHL kid with a total of 10 NHL games under his belt. If that's not a slap to the face, I don't know what is.

Budaj was a perfect backup, great guy on and off the ice according to his teammates and when when the time came to have the team to rally around him, he was relegated to 3rd on the depth chart.
I agree that what MT has done to Budaj was a bit disrespectful. The reasoning tough, as he mentioned in the post-game press conference, is that if you look at Tokarski, the kid's career path is ascending and he is, and i quote, 'a winner'. If you look at his resume, that is entirely true. He won the Memorial Cup, the Calder Cup and even gold with Canada at WJC. Basically came big for his team every chance he got. Statistically, Budaj although with much more experience, has never won a playoff game for the Canadiens. MT basically had to gamble between two less fortunate options and went with the one that he felt had the most potential. I'm sorry for Budaj, but i don't think he has proven once that the team can rely on him to make the difference when it really matters. Winning a couple of games during the season won't get you a starter role in the 3rd round of the playoffs.

Old
05-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Znthnk

Bournival in, Vanek out, put Briere on Plek's right.

Old
05-20-2014, 10:30 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedersson View Post
I agree that what MT has done to Budaj was a bit disrespectful. The reasoning tough, as he mentioned in the post-game press conference, is that if you look at Tokarski, the kid's career path is ascending and he is, and i quote, 'a winner'. If you look at his resume, that is entirely true. He won the Memorial Cup, the Calder Cup and even gold with Canada at WJC. Basically came big for his team every chance he got. Statistically, Budaj although with much more experience, has never won a playoff game for the Canadiens. MT basically had to gamble between two less fortunate options and went with the one that he felt had the most potential. I'm sorry for Budaj, but i don't think he has proven once that the team can rely on him to make the difference when it really matters. Winning a couple of games during the season won't get you a starter role in the 3rd round of the playoffs.
He's never been in a position to win one. He's come in net in relief and the one that he started was one in which we wilted as a team and let ottawa run us over.

I like that Toks has won at every level, but he is still not as ready as Budaj is. I urge you all to go look at some footage from Budaj's wins this year. They were big and I distinctly remember many of us (jokingly) posting stuff to the effect, "Price who?" , "Goalie controversy!". Amazing how little people remember this stuff.

Why WON'T winning a couple of games during the season get you a starter role in the 3rd round of the playoffs? It's more than a couple and what has Takarski done at the NHL level. He's great down low. That's about it. Budaj knows about shooter preferences, he can read plays. He plays angles far better. Tokarski couldn't handle the puck for ****. Budaj isn't Price, but he can at least to that.

Def, tokarski was good in the third. but the backbreaking goals (which are what count) were so stoppable, including the McDO one.... He was soooo deep in his crease AND right in the middle, to face a shot from the point!! If he is well positioned, that shot doesn't go in even if it was flukey.

Second one - I am baffled that he didnt stop it. In his post game comments he says he thinks he might have gotten a piece of it and that he wish he got over in time. He doesn't even realize that he DID "get over" in time on a shot that basically hit him and went right through.

It's all a learning experience and I'm sure he'll be terrific down the road. Right now, Boods has earned it and IMO is the more READY goaltender (and thus better).

Old
05-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Agalloch

Stay with Tokarski. Budaj will most likely be traded this summer for a draft pick and Habs will save 1 mil on the cap while developping a young goalie. (Condon and Mayer in Hamilton)

Old
05-20-2014, 10:38 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Enough with trolling us Therrien, put Price back in the net.

Old
05-20-2014, 10:39 AM
vtm26

No self-pity, no half-assed effort, just ****ing WIN.

Old
05-20-2014, 10:41 AM
PricePkPatch*

Why are they waiting to inject Patch's blood in Price's knee?

Old
05-20-2014, 10:43 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Tokarski looked not as big as Price.

That's the only problem. Tokarski is playing in Price's footstep, and those are huge, both psychologically and physically.

Tork is what we have at the moment. The end. A this point, I am not even thinking about the series as a whole.

I am looking solely at the next game. Everybody should focus only one that one game, and stop worrying about "series over".
True, but it's a striking difference. Honestly I wouldn't mind if Therrien continues with Tok. He has a game under his belt, which is more playing time than Budaj. Plus it may help the team in front has they have to play tighter. Actually going on the road may help them.

All they have to do is win one game and go from there.

Old
05-20-2014, 10:43 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm26 View Post
No self-pity, no half-assed effort, just ****ing WIN.
I don't think that's what we saw at all last game (apart from pleks and vanek...pleks I cut a little more slack).

BTW, how do you not start this guy?:

Not sure how to get it to play:

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...0132014,2,1075

Old
05-20-2014, 10:45 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
True, but it's a striking difference. Honestly I wouldn't mind if Therrien continues with Tok. He has a game under his belt, which is more playing time than Budaj. Plus it may help the team in front has they have to play tighter. Actually going on the road may help them.

All they have to do is win one game and go from there.
That was the point last game and no matter how tight they played, Toks gave up some bad goals. You'd need to shield Budaj as well, but IMO he stops the ones that get through.

Also Budaj is a great road goalie.

Old
05-20-2014, 10:49 AM
vtm26

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I don't think that's what we saw at all last game (apart from pleks and vanek...pleks I cut a little more slack).
For me it felt like they kinda stopped believing in themselves after that unlucky first period. When I compare it with how the Bruins played when they were down 3-1...

Old
05-20-2014, 10:50 AM
Habs

Feel bad for the kid if the team can't score. Thanks for nothing Vanek.

Closed Thread