HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Game 3 - MTL @ NYR

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2014, 10:51 AM
ThaDevilGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
That was the point last game and no matter how tight they played, Toks gave up some bad goals. You'd need to shield Budaj as well, but IMO he stops the ones that get through.

Also Budaj is a great road goalie.
At worst the Habs would have lost 2-1... Habs won't win by score a goal per game. Impossible.

If Therrien goes with Budaj, fine. I can't argue much with it.

Old
05-20-2014, 10:51 AM
weedersson

Quote:
He's never been in a position to win one. He's come in net in relief and the one that he started was one in which we wilted as a team and let ottawa run us over.

I like that Toks has won at every level, but he is still not as ready as Budaj is. I urge you all to go look at some footage from Budaj's wins this year. They were big and I distinctly remember many of us (jokingly) posting stuff to the effect, "Price who?" , "Goalie controversy!". Amazing how little people remember this stuff.

Why WON'T winning a couple of games during the season get you a starter role in the 3rd round of the playoffs? It's more than a couple and what has Takarski done at the NHL level. He's great down low. That's about it. Budaj knows about shooter preferences, he can read plays. He plays angles far better. Tokarski couldn't handle the puck for ****. Budaj isn't Price, but he can at least to that.

Def, tokarski was good in the third. but the backbreaking goals (which are what count) were so stoppable, including the McDO one.... He was soooo deep in his crease AND right in the middle, to face a shot from the point!! If he is well positioned, that shot doesn't go in even if it was flukey.

Second one - I am baffled that he didnt stop it. In his post game comments he says he thinks he might have gotten a piece of it and that he wish he got over in time. He doesn't even realize that he DID "get over" in time on a shot that basically hit him and went right through.

It's all a learning experience and I'm sure he'll be terrific down the road. Right now, Boods has earned it and IMO is the more READY goaltender (and thus better).
Tokarski hasn't been in that position either. He had some games during the season but only because Price was injured. And while Price was injured of course Budaj got the starter position. But nevertheless in the 3 games he played, he won everytime. Budaj on the other hand played ok-ish, didn't had the best record and i do remember that once during a San Jose Sharks, he lost the puck between his legs far out of the crease and gave the Sharks a free goal. Can't judge a goalie by a bad goal, but still.

Toks did made some rookie mistakes last night, most notable on the Nash goal, but i doubt Budaj would have had a better chance on the first goal or on MSL's goal.

I agree with you that he doesn't have the confidence and experience to lead this team solely to the Stanley Cup, but if everyone else plays to win, he will definitely thrive in this series.

Old
05-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Markov4Captain

I dont blame Therrien for sticking with Tokarski.

As much as I love Budaj, he's crapped the bed a few times this season. When Price went down, he wasn't able to raise his game for two weeks. He wasn't even 'good'-he lets in some awful goals. Last season in the playoffs, he let in the first shot he faced in OT in Game 4 and then let in 6 goals in Game 5. On Saturday, he came into a tough situation, but didn't make the 'big' save. Therrien doesn't need a goalie whose going to replace Price, he needs a goalie to win him a series. Its a stretch for both Tokarski and Budaj, but I could see why Therrien believe Tokarski is the one to get him there.

Old
05-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Personally, I will only write off this PO run if they lose game 3.

The odds are against winning the series... no doubt.

NYR are playing well, but are not invincible.

Stranger things have happened in the history of sport.

Old
05-20-2014, 11:02 AM
habtastic

All good points, and it's not like I'm 100% against Tokarski. I'm just worried that the upper part of the net is wide open. Our D was very good at limiting chances. Toks made a good blocker save in the third, I was impressed.

I just can't help feeling that I've seen Budaj beat NHL teams playing like an NHL goalie. Tokarski's wins were...hard to watch. I do not trust the guy on breakaways. Budaj, very much so.

I'm pretty sure Therrien sticks with Tokarski, but IMO it's cuz he doesn't have the balls to go with Budaj, he thinks the series is over unless some miracle occurs and if we lose he'll just go "Welp, what are you gonna do, he tried hard and he's a kid, couldn't do anything more." Well, we can do more and we can make the right choice, (again just my opinion that Budaj is that). We can still win this series and I would hate to see us piss this away.

We can be epic. History can be made. But it starts with not being afraid to admit you made a mistake.

Old
05-20-2014, 11:03 AM
subbang76
I CAN SPEAK FRENCH!

please take a look at this:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/crai...e/post?id=2862

Therrien should and will play Tokarski for game 3. It's the logical choice.

Old
05-20-2014, 11:04 AM
OVs Gold Chain

Your coach just sold the team down the river. Hard enough to get calls in MSG with the reactionary crowd, now the refs get called out like they're cheating for the Rangers?

Another solid team spoiled by Michelle's antics.

Old
05-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Therrien sticks with Tokarski, but IMO it's cuz he doesn't have the balls to go with Budaj, he thinks the series is over unless some miracle occurs and if we lose he'll just go "Welp, what are you gonna do, he tried hard and he's a kid, couldn't do anything more." Well, we can do more and we can make the right choice, (again just my opinion that Budaj is that). We can still win this series and I would hate to see us piss this away.
Are you kidding me?
If Therrien went with Budaj instead in game 2, people would have said he doesn't have the balls to go with a rookie. I give props to MT for having the guts to put Tokarski.

Old
05-20-2014, 11:09 AM
puckhead212

Carey Price should play on Thursday put a brace on and play quarterbacks in the NFL do it all the time,Price is not injured he is hurt and banged up,if he was seriously injured they would not have left him in after Kreider ran into him.

Old
05-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Runner77

If no one knows that the Rangers are leading the series, are they really leading?

No worries, "if/when" will save the day.

Are you guys seeing more Habs gear being worn in the streets?

Has anyone asked you who the players are?

Imagine we'd have to deal with threads like the following on our forum, which was posted on the rags board today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Ok so we all know hockey is #4 in this town, but we also know winners are also always #1 here too. The Rangers have pretty much been invisible in the media & streets in general up to now, but there's gonna come a point where the team just explodes in the city. After Saturday's win the Rangers article was buried as the 14th story down the sports section of the New York Times. After yesterday they're first on the sports page. Front page of the whole paper can't be far off.

Questions for the board:
  • Are you guys hearing more Rangers talk at the office /streets from (a) non-hockey fans (b) casual/non-sports fans?
  • Are you seeing more gear being worn on the streets?
  • Has anyone asked you how to score tickets to a game?
  • Has anyone asked you about who the players are?
  • Will this peak if/when we make the Stanley Cup Finals and the national media descends?
Kreider question of the day: are NYR fans ignoring the team on purpose or is it merely accidental that they don't matter to most New Yorkers?

* Yeah but, media coverage tends to stumble into other sports.

* No, the rags are being ignored on purpose.

* Hockey? What's that?

Old
05-20-2014, 11:28 AM
weedersson

Quote:
All good points, and it's not like I'm 100% against Tokarski. I'm just worried that the upper part of the net is wide open. Our D was very good at limiting chances. Toks made a good blocker save in the third, I was impressed.

I just can't help feeling that I've seen Budaj beat NHL teams playing like an NHL goalie. Tokarski's wins were...hard to watch. I do not trust the guy on breakaways. Budaj, very much so.

We can be epic. History can be made. But it starts with not being afraid to admit you made a mistake.
Let's assume MT would have went with Budaj and we lost the game. What would have been the excuse then? In game 2, the Rangers had no breakaways, the team played better defensively and you can only really blame Toks on the Nash goal. But then again it was a 3-on-1 which could have ended the same way if Budaj or even Price were to be in the net. The 40 saves that Lundqvist made actually lost us the game. You can't win a game if you can only score one goal, and expect a shutout from your goaltender every time you do that. If we were to lose 6-5 i would have probably blamed and cursed Toks for being bad, but that is not the issue now is it? The team needs to make better plays offensively, to want to win more than they have shown in the last two games. We lost Vanek but we still have other 18 players that can make a difference on the ice.

Old
05-20-2014, 11:42 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

Chicago this year overcame a 2-0 deficit
Chicago last year overcame a 3-1 deficit
Boston in 2011 overcame 2 2-0 deficits
Pittsburgh in 2009 overcame a 2-0 deficit

championship teams are put in these situations...if we cant dig ourselves out of this than we're not a contender anyway.

Old
05-20-2014, 11:42 AM
SouthernHab

Tokarski looked extremely shaky last night. Poor position, no glove, slow to react.

AHL material.

Budaj or bust.

Old
05-20-2014, 11:43 AM
FinnHab

This is "must win" game. I still belive that we go to cup final. Go Habs Go!

Old
05-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
Chicago this year overcame a 2-0 deficit
Chicago last year overcame a 3-1 deficit
Boston in 2011 overcame 2 2-0 deficits
Pittsburgh in 2009 overcame a 2-0 deficit

championship teams are put in these situations...if we cant dig ourselves out of this than we're not a contender anyway.
How many of them lost their top player and/or starting goalie?
Don't want to be Johnny Raincloud here, but it's way harder for the Habs than any of those teams

Old
05-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead212 View Post
Carey Price should play on Thursday put a brace on and play quarterbacks in the NFL do it all the time,Price is not injured he is hurt and banged up,if he was seriously injured they would not have left him in after Kreider ran into him.
Why risk him being out longer? And it's obvious he's hurting. If Price never got ran into, I don't see him giving up those 2 goals at the end of the 2nd period.

They were talking about it on TSN 690. Price wanted to play with a brace on but the doctors decided not to, because he could damage his knee more and be out for much longer (they said most of next season as well if he did more damage to it)

Old
05-20-2014, 12:02 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

WE GOT THIS, GURL. I still believe.

Old
05-20-2014, 12:09 PM
rician blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVs Gold Chain View Post
Your coach just sold the team down the river. Hard enough to get calls in MSG with the reactionary crowd, now the refs get called out like they're cheating for the Rangers?

Another solid team spoiled by Michelle's antics.
It's gamesmanship. Julien did it in the B's - Habs series. Torts was one of the most famous for it. I don't know why people get all hung up on this stuff, but the fact that they do is why the media asks questioned designed to elicit a particular response.

Old
05-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
You're not at all representative of your fan base.

Here are several quotes from your fellow fans who live in the area or who appear knowledgeable:

Sounds like the Ranger base is made up of mostly bandwagon jumpers and fairweather fans and from the looks of it, some or most of NY media is approaching the game the same way.
If you don't think the same happens in Montreal or any other city.. you're nuts.
Bandwagon fans are everywhere.. my facebook is overpopulated with people who all of a sudden have decided they LOVE every single thing Montreal Canadiens..

Old
05-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Are you kidding me? Montreal lives and breathes hockey. Our bandwagon jumpers are just the cherry on the cake. In no other city would you get 20,000 people at the Bell Centre to watch a game on the jumbotron. Not to mention that our sports shows provide full-out hockey coverage year-round, our television ratings produced a massive media war for NHL rights (to which no network would have cpmmitted as a high a price if the fanbase were made up of mostly bandwagon jumpers). Where else will you find fans arguing about 4th line players and scrubs in the middle of July.

I like how NY has several other pro sports. However, when it comes to hockey, same old -- they're not in our league. Just the way it is.
I agree that when it comes to hockey. They might not be in our league when it comes to the fans. I'm just stating, if you don't think there are bandwagon fans everywhere. This city has many of them. But I cant blame them, it's very very easy to get caught up in the playoff atmosphere

Old
05-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I agree that when it comes to hockey. They might not be in our league when it comes to the fans. I'm just stating, if you don't think there are bandwagon fans everywhere. This city has many of them. But I cant blame them, it's very very easy to get caught up in the playoff atmosphere
Just a feeling from reading their stuff, they seem to have a bigger bandwagon following than we do. We're blessed with having such a huge hockey mad fan base that any bandwagon fans we muster, get lost in the masses. The city is living and breathing hockey, you can readily see it.

Old
05-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Go with Tokarski, I like Boods but the only way he plays is if Toks lets in 2-3 softies when the first period. The only way the habs win game 3 is by coming out strong, like they did last game. They need to score 2 quick ones at the start and not allow the Rangers a change to tie or get back into it. If that happens, Toks can hold the fort.

Old
05-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Sentinels

Hope the boyz come out hard like Game 2. They actually sustained their effort through most of the game which was hard after dominating in the first period and still ended the period down 2-1. I'm happy with the compete level and attitude our players are showing and it's a good culture to build off of for our young guys going forward.

Hope we can at least get one of 2 in New York and try to extend the series.

Old
05-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Habs 1909

While I am not blaming Tokarski by any means, I hope Waite gets him to play a bit further out and battle in the blue plaint (maybe he could've gotten something on the shot that hit off of Gorges or battled Kreider? who was providing the screen on the MSL goal).

He just seems to be way too deep in his crease.

Old
05-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Gary320

Runner77 enough on the subject. You are derailing the thread. Move on.

Closed Thread