HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

OT: Eagles release Simon

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2005, 10:14 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
OT: Eagles release Simon

Quote:
By CHRIS McPHERSON

The Eagles announced Sunday night that they have withdrawn the franchise tag on defensive tackle Corey Simon, meaning that he is now an unrestricted free agent.

"We appreciate all that Corey has done for this organization over the last five years," said head coach Andy Reid in a statement. "With the great amount of depth and talent we have along the defensive line, we chose to give Corey an opportunity to sign with another team."
The announcement was mentioned on Comcast tonight at 10

Old
08-30-2005, 03:03 AM
High Flyer

wat a dumb move...absolutely no reason to do so...im more worried about our rb and wr status...wish we'd sign another rb and wr...if not an injury cud really hurt us

Old
08-30-2005, 07:14 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
They're deep in defensive tackles. If Corey Simon wanted a payday from the Eagles he had no shot and was mis-advised by his agent

Old
08-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Nuclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer'd Up
wat a dumb move...absolutely no reason to do so...im more worried about our rb and wr status...wish we'd sign another rb and wr...if not an injury cud really hurt us

The NFL has a salary cap so they don't want to pay someone whose asking top dollar. The Eagles rotate tackles anyway and Thomas should replace him. IMO he was overrated anyway. If anything bringing in a younger/ cheaper guy helps the team out.

We don't need any more drama on the team which Simon was creating, so we released him.

Old
08-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Dr Love

Smart move. They traded Simon in principle twice and both times he demanded more money, so the deals fell through. And his play has dropped off over the past couple of years (how he was a Pro Bowler in2003 I'll never know, that was his worst season). His play deteriorated, he can't agree to a contract with three teams.... in short, Corey Simon has done nothing to make me feel sorry for him, not that I feel sorry for players in the first place.

Old
08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Smart move. They traded Simon in principle twice and both times he demanded more money, so the deals fell through. And his play has dropped off over the past couple of years (how he was a Pro Bowler in2003 I'll never know, that was his worst season). His play deteriorated, he can't agree to a contract with three teams.... in short, Corey Simon has done nothing to make me feel sorry for him, not that I feel sorry for players in the first place.
Agreed. Especially that last part...I hadn't realized that the Eagles had tried to trade him to two other teams, and that the deal fell through because of salary demands until reading the Inquirer article about it yesterday. That about seals it for me, time for Mr. Simon to move on. Sounds like they're high on the guy they picked in the first round this year anyway, so hopefully he can step up and the Eagles' rotation won't miss a beat.

Now, if only they could get an RB who can pound the ball, I'd be a bit happier. Some depth at WR would be nice as well...but I'll stop dreaming now. I'm still just in shock that the season opens in less than 2 weeks. Guess that's what happens when you go away on vacation for a week and a half.

Closed Thread