HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Joel and Noel

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

vCash: 500
"Philly next season is going to be awful...But watching Philly over the next half-decade is going to be amazing." @ZachLowe_NBA

Encouraging words from Zach Lowe, pretty knowledgeable dude, I respect his opinion. Just gotta be patient and watch this team grow together.

Old
06-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
"Philly next season is going to be awful...But watching Philly over the next half-decade is going to be amazing." @ZachLowe_NBA

Encouraging words from Zach Lowe, pretty knowledgeable dude, I respect his opinion. Just gotta be patient and watch this team grow together.
"We're going to do this right. Not tank once. Tank multiple times."

Old
06-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Phileeguy
39.904N 75.168W

Quote:

I want to believe that, but I think his time frame needs expanding beyond 5 years (unless he means starting 5 years from now). Next year they'll be bad again, and most likely only a little better the following year. Year 3 you'll probably start seeing the growth of MCW, Noel, Embiid, etc. if they remain here, stay healthy and progress in a fashion close to what Hinkie and the coaches hope. Year 4 and 5 is probably the goal in terms of when these players expected combined talent translates to significant increases in Ws.

Old
06-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I want to believe that, but I think his time frame needs expanding beyond 5 years (unless he means starting 5 years from now). Next year they'll be bad again, and most likely only a little better the following year. Year 3 you'll probably start seeing the growth of MCW, Noel, Embiid, etc. if they remain here, stay healthy and progress in a fashion close to what Hinkie and the coaches hope. Year 4 and 5 is probably the goal in terms of when these players expected combined talent translates to significant increases in Ws.
It gets better pretty quick once you're ready to incorporate the free agents. Next year will be bad. The following year will be much better. Year 3 is where you probably see them targetting a big name free agent and using their young stars to sell that free agent. You developing talent + a star level free agent gets you better quick.

The NBA is all about tanking, getting good, then utilizing that window of opportunity as much as you can by spending. It takes a long time to rebuild, so you need to exploit the cheap years of your young guys by paying/overpaying free agents simultaneously.

Old
06-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Phileeguy
39.904N 75.168W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
It gets better pretty quick once you're ready to incorporate the free agents. Next year will be bad. The following year will be much better. Year 3 is where you probably see them targetting a big name free agent and using their young stars to sell that free agent. You developing talent + a star level free agent gets you better quick.

The NBA is all about tanking, getting good, then utilizing that window of opportunity as much as you can by spending. It takes a long time to rebuild, so you need to exploit the cheap years of your young guys by paying/overpaying free agents simultaneously.
No doubt they'll have the money for the FAs, just all depends on whether you can lure the right ones. You're right in that they'll sell the idea of being a good destination with a good young core if they progress. But then you'll still be going against those markets that are often seen as desirables like LA, Miami, NYC, Chicago, Boston. Plus, things can change a lot in terms of player movement in 2-3 years, so who knows how things will shake up between now and then.

Old
06-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Tankadelphia
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Summer league starts on Saturday. If you are interested, Noel will be playing his first game as a Sixer, as well as all our draft picks except Saric/Embiid

Old
06-30-2014, 10:21 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb45 View Post
Summer league starts on Saturday. If you are interested, Noel will be playing his first game as a Sixer, as well as all our draft picks except Saric/Embiid
Can't wait. I heard he'll be playing in both the Orlando and Vegas Summer leagues. Doubt he plays back to backs though. I'm pumped they'll be playing in the Vegas summer league as well this year. They make the Orlando circuit look like Single A.

Old
06-30-2014, 10:43 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Can't wait. I heard he'll be playing in both the Orlando and Vegas Summer leagues. Doubt he plays back to backs though. I'm pumped they'll be playing in the Vegas summer league as well this year. They make the Orlando circuit look like Single A.
I know very little about the Summer leagues. If you don't mind could you explain them a little to me?

Old
06-30-2014, 11:05 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
I know very little about the Summer leagues. If you don't mind could you explain them a little to me?
It's like the Flyers-Caps prospect game x5. Each league runs like a week one after another. It's a mixture of rookies, young players already in the league, overseas guys, and a bunch of other longshots. It's especially fun if you are a college basketball fan because you get to see a lot of guys that were stars in college, but probably won't ever play in the NBA, and they will make you say "Hey! I remember that guy!"

The Sixers usually just play in the Orlando league, but this year they are playing in both leagues. The Orlando league has fewer teams and is held at the Magic's practice gym. There's no fans there, the games feel kind of dull, and are usually lower scoring. The Vegas league looks and feels totally different. They play in an actual arena, there's a buzz in the gym, there's better pace to the games, and there's more teams. Last year they had a championship game in both leagues. Not sure if they are doing that this year, but the Sixers odds took a hit when they lost MCW and won't have a 2014 first rounder in the lineup.

Unlike the other sports, you only have to wait a week to see your team's rookies in action which is pretty cool.

Old
06-30-2014, 11:24 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Old
07-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
But then you'll still be going against those markets that are often seen as desirables like LA, Miami, NYC, Chicago, Boston. Plus, things can change a lot in terms of player movement in 2-3 years, so who knows how things will shake up between now and then.
I find you listing Boston as a desirable location interesting, since the Boston sports media bemoans the fact that Boston isn't usually a great place for NBA free agents. Garnett/Pierce were draws when they were hear, but now they've got to sell playing with Rondo which is not quite the same magnet.

I can see Philly easily being a draw on par with Chicago. Major market, with the potential to really draw huge crowds and generate major buzz (see the Sixers circa 2000 when Iverson was a monster draw in the city). If Embiid/Noel/MCW develop as they should, they would be a rising team in a market desperate for a winner. Selling the story of "the guy who brought a title to this town" would not be too difficult, I would think.

Old
07-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb45 View Post
Safe to say it'll be on NBATV? I think that's the channel I watched them on last year.

Old
07-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Tankadelphia
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Safe to say it'll be on NBATV? I think that's the channel I watched them on last year.
I would think so. That's where I watched it

Old
07-01-2014, 12:29 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
I find you listing Boston as a desirable location interesting, since the Boston sports media bemoans the fact that Boston isn't usually a great place for NBA free agents. Garnett/Pierce were draws when they were hear, but now they've got to sell playing with Rondo which is not quite the same magnet.

I can see Philly easily being a draw on par with Chicago. Major market, with the potential to really draw huge crowds and generate major buzz (see the Sixers circa 2000 when Iverson was a monster draw in the city). If Embiid/Noel/MCW develop as they should, they would be a rising team in a market desperate for a winner. Selling the story of "the guy who brought a title to this town" would not be too difficult, I would think.
This should help..even if it is in Camden...

Quote:
Sixers Announce Plans For State-of-the-art 120,000 Sq. Foot Training Center

PHILADELPHIA, PA – JUNE 10, 2014 – The Philadelphia 76ers today announced they will locate a new 120,000 square foot Training Center along the revitalized Camden waterfront in New Jersey, situated near popular tourist attractions that include the Adventure Aquarium and Campbell’s Field. The team expects to break ground on the new facility this October

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/sixer...raining-center

Old
07-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Phileeguy
39.904N 75.168W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
I threw in Boston mostly because of its history as it's the NBA franchise with the most championships, one relatively recently. Also, playing alongside Rondo right now is probably still an easier sell than playing alongside MCW et. al.

Old
07-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
Below is the Sixers schedule for the Orlando Pro Summer League (Amway Center: 400 West Church Street, Orlando):

Date, Opponent, Time (ET)

Saturday, July 5, vs. Orlando, 1:00 p.m.

Sunday, July 6, vs. Oklahoma City, 5:00 p.m.

Tuesday, July 8, vs. Houston, 7:00 p.m.

Wednesday, July 9, vs. Brooklyn, 5:00 p.m.

Friday, July 11*, TBD, TBD

*Championship Day (all teams will play a final fifth game regardless of record)

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/14070...-camp-invitees

Old
07-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

No Kj McDaniels?

Old
07-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Tankadelphia
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
No Kj McDaniels?
I was disappointed too. He's probably gonna be our starting SG/SF this year

Old
07-01-2014, 06:31 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
No Kj McDaniels?
Probably plays in Vegas with Jordan McRae

Old
07-03-2014, 02:10 PM
SheasRebellion6

"K.J. McDaniels is scheduled to play in Vegas, as is Arsalan Kazemi. Nerlens Noel is scheduled to appear in both summer leagues."

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-...-league-roster

Old
07-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Shady McCoy
#NoHonorForConnor

I need me some Linsanity...

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
07-03-2014, 04:51 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
I need me some Linsanity...

If he comes with a first round pick or a prospect you will.

Old
07-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

I really like the idea of bringing jobs to Camden.

Old
07-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Poor Pierre Jackson, likely out with a torn achilles.

Old
07-05-2014, 01:34 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Poor Pierre Jackson, likely out with a torn achilles.
Sucks. He was looking good too. As a little guy trying to make it in the league, he can't afford to lose an ounce of athleticism.

Closed Thread