HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Joel and Noel

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2014, 07:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Why is it arbitrary? It has to start at some point, seems like it would be equally arbitrary to say this will start in 2016/27/18/whenever. They are doing it, presumably, to prevent teams from tanking. If they want to prevent that, why would they say, "Look, we want to stop teams from tanking so we are going to implement this system. But because teams are already planning on tanking, we will let them tank for another year or two and THEN start this." I've got no beef with the lottery change. Granted, I'm not a real basketball fan, but I think it makes sense. It doesn't make sense in the NHL, MLB, or NFL because those sports don't appear to have the same issues, but in the NBA, it seems like 60% of the league is a complete joke competing for the #1 pick.

Old
07-31-2014, 08:24 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
First I think the way Windhorst spun the article is "doo-doo" as my guy Doug Collins would say. Sure the Sixers don't want the lottery to change right now, but it makes it sound like they are on their hands and knees- the only team at that.

Also I find it hard to believe the NBA can just change the lottery process this quickly. Teams have protections on picks that were made under the current lottery structure. We're just going to put that in the hands of lottery balls? Some GM's are going too be pretty angry when that goes down.

The irony in the whole thing is the team with a 1% chance to win the lottery this year won the lottery. Also a team that was trying to make the playoffs this year won 15 games. That should be a bigger concern than a team trying to actually build towards being a contender. The tickets sales should be punishment enough for these teams. Teams like the Bucks, Kings, TWolves, Jazz, Pistons, Magic, etc. are clearly good for the league sitting in the lottery year after year and making zero progress.

I'm all for competitive balance in the league, but going straight to the lottery is not the answer. In fact, I think that would make it worse.
I think the strongest argument is that there were trades of draft picks that have protections that were made under a different system. However because of the NBA revenue sharing plan, teams want the Sixers to a least be mediocre so they can get more money. When the Sixers don't make money, small market teams in the league lose out on revenue sharing money.

Old
07-31-2014, 08:28 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I think the strongest argument is that there were trades of draft picks that have protections that were made under a different system. However because of the NBA revenue sharing plan, teams want the Sixers to a least be mediocre so they can get more money. When the Sixers don't make money, small market teams in the league lose out on revenue sharing money.
So it's almost like the Sixers are treated unfairly because of the market they play in. The Bobcats/Hornets/whatever they are now don't draw crowds, so they depend on markets like the Sixers to draw crowds and get money. Sixers suck, don't draw crowds, Charlotte gets pissed.

07-31-2014, 08:29 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
That is a very good point. I didn't think about that. I retract my statements about not caring about the system being changed immediately. There has to be a grace period to deal with those pick issues.

Old
07-31-2014, 11:09 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
This was my immediate reaction to the news, and I'm fairly certain that you've identified the cause of the timing.

Old
07-31-2014, 11:22 AM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

Quote:
However because of the NBA revenue sharing plan, teams want the Sixers to a least be mediocre so they can get more money. When the Sixers don't make money, small market teams in the league lose out on revenue sharing money.
That's a good point. Everything comes down to money.

The most important thing is money.

Old
07-31-2014, 12:58 PM
KJS14

Well if they need us to make money, they should have given Wiggins to us instead of Cleveland.

Old
07-31-2014, 04:46 PM
FLYguy3911

People didn't go to the games when they were mediocre though. That's why they are where they are. People showed up when the Sixers were good and when they had someone to watch - Iverson.

Old
07-31-2014, 04:57 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Assuming the changes that are implemented are the ones being discussed (bottom 6 teams have an equal shot at 1st overall), how exactly does this discourage tanking or fix the parity problem? You still need a top draft pick to maximize your chances at getting an impact player, so if I'm a GM, I'm still tanking away and hoping the lottery falls in my favor.

Old
07-31-2014, 08:24 PM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

You only have to tank to six now. Solved.

Old
08-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

Pretty good commentary...like he said..yeah now they take notice. Utter BS...

Quote:
Any lottery changes too late to affect 76ers

...As The Inquirer's Keith Pompey confirmed Wednesday, the Sixers have objected to this proposal, which the NBA's board of governors could ratify in October, and their objection is hardly surprising.

As unseemly as their approach (and their celebration of it) could be at times, the Sixers were operating within the league's rules. They understood that the NBA's lottery system and the inherent, outsize importance and impact of superstars in basketball incentivized their rebuilding their roster in this manner.

Better yet, they were the only franchise willing to do what was necessary - i.e., sacrifice ticket revenue and their reputation as a competitive organization - to implement such a plan. They regarded themselves as being innovative, as having an advantage over the long term. Why relinquish that advantage so easily?

It's also not surprising that the Sixers reportedly haven't found much sympathy for their complaints from other teams around the league. When a franchise spends more than a decade making bad draft picks and bad signings and bad trades and bad hirings, when it never adopts a fresh and thoughtful strategy for success, when it assures itself of remaining trapped in the NBA netherworld between genuine greatness and abject awfulness, how many of its competitors are going to stand up and say, Hey, we really don't approve of what you guys are doing without snickering? There's a reason that one of the league's biggest recent laughingstocks has been the New York Knicks. It's not just that the Knicks have generally been lousy. It's that they've tried so hard to be good, and that they've been so lousy at trying to be good.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...QBpiq3hGeRw.99

Old
08-03-2014, 04:40 PM
daynus

yes indeed that was a good read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Pretty good commentary...like he said..yeah now they take notice. Utter BS...
when i was watching the nba lotto this year, and cleveland wins, i was just stunned. how can the cavs win the lotto in back to back years. the mathematical odds for this happening is very low.

then the sixers are forced to move down 1 spot.

so the 6ers end up with embiid. injured but has the highest ceiling in the entire draft. like this guy could be the 2nd coming of ibaka, next year. and nerlens is gonna be really good defensively.

not sure of the exact style they will go with. but i think it will be close to the chicago bulls, d first.

Old
08-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
when i was watching the nba lotto this year, and cleveland wins, i was just stunned. how can the cavs win the lotto in back to back years. the mathematical odds for this happening is very low.

then the sixers are forced to move down 1 spot.

so the 6ers end up with embiid. injured but has the highest ceiling in the entire draft. like this guy could be the 2nd coming of ibaka, next year. and nerlens is gonna be really good defensively.

not sure of the exact style they will go with. but i think it will be close to the chicago bulls, d first.
Joel can be a better Ibaka imo. Embiid can shoot the 3 a little bit and also has more of a plethora of post moves that he can build off of.

I agree that the sixers are building around defense first and also long, athletic players that can RUN the floor. I think Hinkie and Brett Brown value that al ot.

Just look at Embiid and Noel, they both can run the floor extremely well for big men. Most big men don't have that rare quality, which translates well to the NBA.

Old
08-04-2014, 08:14 AM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

Guess he wouldn't have been too happy if drafted by either or those teams...

BTW...somehow we have to stop people from getting their first Cheesesteak at Genos or Pat's!

Quote:
Before playing a game, Joel Embiid already a star

...Before heading to New York, the No. 3 overall pick stopped in his future hometown Thursday and Friday.

Despite it being Embiid's first visit to Philadelphia, the organization did not formally introduce him to the city or Sixers' fans, but the 7-foot center posted plenty of tweets reflecting his stay in the City of Brotherly Love.

"I wasn't expecting the city to be like that," Embiid said of his visit. "I was expecting it to be like Cleveland or Milwaukee, but it was way better. I got my first cheesesteak. I was visiting and it was great."

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-...d-already-star

Old
08-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

BOL BOL!

2018! Maybe the Sixers will get him and we'll have the triple towers.

He's still got some growing to do obviously...

Quote:
Now, one of Manute's 10 children seems prepared to carry the torch, and sure enough both his name and basketball game scream stardom. Bol Bol is considered one of the top recruits in the Class of 2018 by at least one scouting service, and his latest basketball mixtape out of Kansas City, Mo., is one to behold.

The video shows a frame as thin as his father's, a jump shot rivaling Manute's in his legendary six 3-pointer game against the Suns, a shot-blocking prowess warranting a songwriting sequel to "Block that Bol" and a surprising handle on the end of those lanky arms. Not to mention some pretty sweet shoes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/prep-r...141537029.html

Old
08-04-2014, 09:56 AM
McNasty

The NBA has to do something to prevent this from becoming standard. Tanking isn't new, but what the 76ers are doing is completely sacrificing multiple consecutive seasons to stockpile. Under the current rules there is nothing wrong with it, but if you're the NBA you have to fix this before the 76ers have success with it. If you get to 8 or 10 teams trying to adopt a similar, even if less drastic, outlook on team building suddenly you now have 1/3 of your league actively trying not to win games.

Ultimately the best suggestion I've seen yet is from a Bill Simmons column. Your position in the lottery is determined by the # of wins you have after being eliminated from postseason play. It likely wouldn't make the lottery results all that different but it at least keeps teams trying to win, and prevents lower teams from sitting their "injured" stars.

Old
08-04-2014, 10:02 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
The NBA has to do something to prevent this from becoming standard. Tanking isn't new, but what the 76ers are doing is completely sacrificing multiple consecutive seasons to stockpile. Under the current rules there is nothing wrong with it, but if you're the NBA you have to fix this before the 76ers have success with it. If you get to 8 or 10 teams trying to adopt a similar, even if less drastic, outlook on team building suddenly you now have 1/3 of your league actively trying not to win games.

Ultimately the best suggestion I've seen yet is from a Bill Simmons column. Your position in the lottery is determined by the # of wins you have after being eliminated from postseason play. It likely wouldn't make the lottery results all that different but it at least keeps teams trying to win, and prevents lower teams from sitting their "injured" stars.
Wouldn't that be a little different considering some teams are eliminated much earlier than others? Maybe I'm just not thinking about it hard enough.

Old
08-04-2014, 10:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

I think they should do an across the board lottery with non-playoff teams. Anyone who misses has equal chance to land #1. Do it for every single draft spot. Total randomization of 1-14. That is really the only way to avoid tanking. Implement at some point where past trades involving future picks won't be affected. That way, if you made a trade for a pick last season for next season, it won't get screwed up.

Old
08-04-2014, 10:36 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
Wouldn't that be a little different considering some teams are eliminated much earlier than others? Maybe I'm just not thinking about it hard enough.
That's the idea, the bad teams that are eliminated early have more of an opportunity to secure the #1 pick (at least the best odds) but instead of doing it by losing they then have to win a few games.

Old
08-04-2014, 11:10 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
That's the idea, the bad teams that are eliminated early have more of an opportunity to secure the #1 pick (at least the best odds) but instead of doing it by losing they then have to win a few games.
I see. That makes more sense now that you explained it.

Old
08-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Embiid
Thank You Hinkie!

That's fine..let the league change the lottery system ad hoc like **********. Doesn't change the fact that Sixers still can wheel and deal and stock assets (via trades, signings etc.)because they have mad cap space. So EFF em....there is more than 1 way to skin this cat and Hinkie isn't going to just sit idle and mope.

Old
08-04-2014, 12:21 PM
KJS14

Other owners are mad that we aren't making money. They decide to change the rules to make it less likely that we get better quickly. #Logic

Old
08-04-2014, 02:11 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS14 View Post
Other owners are mad that we aren't making money. They decide to change the rules to make it less likely that we get better quickly. #Logic
I think it's less about the 76ers future and more about owners worrying that if the 76ers are successful this type of drastic tanking will become more prevalent.

Old
08-04-2014, 02:38 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think they should do an across the board lottery with non-playoff teams. Anyone who misses has equal chance to land #1. Do it for every single draft spot. Total randomization of 1-14. That is really the only way to avoid tanking. Implement at some point where past trades involving future picks won't be affected. That way, if you made a trade for a pick last season for next season, it won't get screwed up.
Except that could inspire teams who are in the last couple playoff spots to tank in order to get into the lottery, since the lower seeds basically have no chance to win in the first round.

Old
08-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Cody Webster

Wiggins and Young to the Timberwolves

Love to the Cavs

Bennett and picks to the Sixers.

Average age of the Sixers, 17

Closed Thread