HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Joel and Noel

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Big Poppa Puck
U JUST MADE THE LIST

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
Okay that trade annoys me. It's almost like the Sixers are operating as a cash grab, that doesn't help us. Does it? Maybe I'm stupid.
We'll scratch your back if you scratch ours type of move. It's a favor between GMs and pretty common in NBA.

Old
09-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
Future of the 76ers:

Noel, Embiid, MCW, Hinkie, and Brown have been in Spain watching Saric at the World Championships. For those wondering, Saric has been playing well.

Old
09-04-2014, 07:49 PM
FLYguy3911

He didn't miss a shot today BTW.

He always gets in foul trouble though. Intriguing guy. He was the guy I was realistically hoping for a 10 (12) and glad they got him. Sucks we have to wait 2 years, but it will be that much sweeter when he comes over.

This whole thing seems too good to be true.

Old
09-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
He didn't miss a shot today BTW.

He always gets in foul trouble though. Intriguing guy. He was the guy I was realistically hoping for a 10 (12) and glad they got him. Sucks we have to wait 2 years, but it will be that much sweeter when he comes over.
His rebounding and M2M defense are better than what I thought. He's not guarding great athletes but I love his hustle. The fans are going to love that all out style he plays with. Combine that with his size, handling, and passing, he'll be very useful for the Sixers. Over the next two years I want him to keep improving that outside shot and get stronger.
Quote:
This whole thing seems too good to be true.
It does. Hopefully it works out.

Old
09-04-2014, 09:12 PM
FLYguy3911

Finally getting so see him play extensively, I would be shocked if he plays SF in the NBA. Doesn't have great footspeed and he's only going to get bigger- he's well put together now. I never really counted on it anyway. Hinkie even said he's a natural 4 after he was drafted. It kind of takes away from the fantasy lineups because I doubt we see a lot of Embiid, Noel, and Saric on the floor at the same time. I don't really think he'll be a great defensive player because he is limited athletically and he has average length. That's OK though, as he'll most likely be playing next to one of Noel or Embiid to cover for his deficiencies.

Offensively though, he is so smart. Always looks like he makes the right play. Good around the rim. Shows a little back to the basket game, his shot keeps improving and of course he's a great passer for his size.

I try not to make fantasy lineups because I think Hinkie will deal these guys if the opportunity presents itself, but Embiid, Noel, Saric, and likely another big in this draft is a nice foundation to build on. The wing might have to come in free agency though *cough*Durant*cough*.

Old
10-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

The 30 NBA teams are going to vote on changing the draft lottery odds.

Zach Lowe says few if any teams other than the Sixers will vote no.

This is ****ed up IMO.

Old
10-03-2014, 02:45 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
I don't ****ing get it. They tanked, it didn't work, a team with a 1% chance of winning the lottery won, and now they need to change it?

10-03-2014, 03:04 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't see a problem with changing the lottery system. Basketball seems like the sport with the biggest "race to the bottom" type of system where teams outright try to tank. It sucks the Sixers are going to be the ones taking the biggest hit (presumably), but it makes sense to change it. I think it should be put into effect at a later date though, not immediately.

Old
10-03-2014, 03:07 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't see a problem with changing the lottery system. Basketball seems like the sport with the biggest "race to the bottom" type of system where teams outright try to tank. It sucks the Sixers are going to be the ones taking the biggest hit (presumably), but it makes sense to change it. I think it should be put into effect at a later date though, not immediately.
That's my entire beef with it

Old
10-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I agree. The Sixers aren't the first team to set themselves up for high picks. It's been going on for 30 years. If they implemented it in say 2 years, it's not punishing any particular team. Doing it now if a slap in the face to the current rebuilding teams.

Old
10-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Mgkibbles

Whatever, I'm convinced the lottery is fixed, or at least altered anyway. Don't be surprised when the rule changes, the Sixers finish last and magically end up with the #7 pick. But most of the Sixers damage is already done anyway. MCW, Noel, Joel and Saric.

Old
10-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Cyborg LeClair
Thank You Mr. Snider

vCash: 400
Anyone know if Embiid will play this year? I know when we drafted him it was looking like he'd be rehabilitating for a whole season like Noel, but is there any update? Also, is Noel playing this season? I'd like to have a reason to watch this year

Old
10-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
Anyone know if Embiid will play this year? I know when we drafted him it was looking like he'd be rehabilitating for a whole season like Noel, but is there any update? Also, is Noel playing this season? I'd like to have a reason to watch this year
I think they are going to rest embiid all year. NO need to play him at all. He gets a redshirt year to work on his body which is a huge advantage he has.

Noel will play this year.

Old
10-08-2014, 05:34 PM
FLYguy3911

They won't officially come out and say it, but I don't think there's a chance he suits up this year. He said something about winning the Rookie of the Year award next year which wouldn't be possible if he plays this year.

This team is going to be BAD. Probably worst than last year. Maybe more fun to watch, but I watched 3 quarters the other night and they couldn't score inside or outside. Noel looked awful offensively. Defensively he changes so many shots, but offensively he is very green- more so than he showed in summer league. He needs to develop a face up game.

Old
10-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
They won't officially come out and say it, but I don't think there's a chance he suits up this year. He said something about winning the Rookie of the Year award next year which wouldn't be possible if he plays this year.

This team is going to be BAD. Probably worst than last year. Maybe more fun to watch, but I watched 3 quarters the other night and they couldn't score inside or outside. Noel looked awful offensively. Defensively he changes so many shots, but offensively he is very green- more so than he showed in summer league. He needs to develop a face up game.
we are gong to be so much worst than last year. Last year we had thad, turner, and hawes for more than half the year.

All we need to do is make sure we win 10 games. after that I don't care.

Old
10-08-2014, 05:52 PM
FLYguy3911

They won 15 games with the Turner-Hawes-Thad core and that includes a handful of miraculous buzzer beaters handed down by the grace of God. The early u/o has been set at 15 wins. People on another site seem to think they are an easy over this season. I'm one to think if it looks too good to be true it probably is. Brett Brown has his work cut out for him.

Old
10-09-2014, 02:05 PM
Embiid
JoJo says no no!

This is BS and punitive....

I hope the Sixers dominate this league in a few years.....

Quote:
Why lottery reform makes everyone but Sixers giddy

When the NBA’s board of governors convenes this month, it’s expected to enact lottery reform. Lots of teams will be pretty excited about that. One team will not.

It’s going to happen, and there’s nothing the Sixers can do to stop it. One league executive told CSNPhilly.com that the new proposal has “overwhelming support.” Another league source said “a large percentage of teams” want it to go into effect for the upcoming 2015 lottery. That tracks with a recent report that estimated the vote could be 29-1 in favor of lottery reform. Talk about isolation. The ongoing rebuild has managed to unify and mobilize the rest of the league against the Sixers.

.....As I’ve written countless times, it’s a smart plan. It’s a necessary plan — even if Hinkie’s peers are irritated by it. When the Sixers traded everyone but Thaddeus Young and the guy who shoots the T-shirt cannon at last year’s deadline, the remaining players struggled through a 26-game losing streak. It came in the service of the rebuild, but it also created controversy that resulted in NBA commissioner Adam Silver getting asked about tanking and the Sixers’ strategy. Not long after, whispers about lottery reform became full-throated screams. And now here we are, waiting for the board of governors to alter the draft structure.

The new lottery system is a rash, punitive move with an array of consequences that will have a real impact on a lot of teams, and not just the Sixers. And there’s no stopping it. Despite the pending alterations, Josh Harris recently said he stands by the strategy he authorized Hinkie to implement. And Hinkie? When he was asked about lottery reform during media day, he gave the careful, ambiguous answers you’d expect.

Hinkie said he has “great trust” and “great confidence” in the NBA’s leadership to “do what’s best for the league.”

“I suspect everyone will have a chance to be heard,” Hinkie said. “Sometimes it’s helpful, I think, to be heard in private and not so much in public. Because these issues are bigger than any one team.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-...e-sixers-giddy

Old
10-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Cyborg LeClair
Thank You Mr. Snider

vCash: 400
^^
That's ridiculous, how can they make changes to the lottery so soon, that doesn't seem fair to the teams in the basement right now. How are they suppose to get themselves out of the basement if they don't have a good chance of drafting a difference maker?

Seriously, it's not like the Sixers drafted #1 or even #2 last year, we still had the 3rd pick (tho I'm happy with who we got with that pick).

W/e, is there anyone better than Embiid in this draft anyway?

Old
10-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Azir
What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
^^
That's ridiculous, how can they make changes to the lottery so soon, that doesn't seem fair to the teams in the basement right now. How are they suppose to get themselves out of the basement if they don't have a good chance of drafting a difference maker?

Seriously, it's not like the Sixers drafted #1 or even #2 last year, we still had the 3rd pick (tho I'm happy with who we got with that pick).

W/e, is there anyone better than Embiid in this draft anyway?
Jahlil Okafor, and Emmanuel Mudiay are the tops guys. I don't think either will be as good as Embiid but 2015 draft does look pretty decent.

Old
10-09-2014, 02:35 PM
McNasty

They've gone above and beyond traditional tanking measures. You can give them credit for their willingness to to what they feel is necessary but it's not hard to understand why the NBA is taking action.

Old
10-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Embiid
JoJo says no no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
They've gone above and beyond traditional tanking measures. You can give them credit for their willingness to to what they feel is necessary but it's not hard to understand why the NBA is taking action.
They can take action...but to do so retroactively is punitive. As it has been pointed out...lots of future consideration deals will be affected. Anyway....it's probably going to happen and it will suck for the Sixers but Hinkie has shown it won't limit how he wheels and deals. We still have mad cap space and can accumulate more assets. Acquiring a big name FA might take some time though...

Old
10-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Azir
What's your point?

The damage has already been done. We got Embiid, Saric, Noel, MCW. And we will mostly likely add another top-6 pick next year. It is not like we will need to tank for 5 more years.

Old
10-09-2014, 03:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Let's not forget that there is still a shot that the Sixers will get the #1 pick even if the lottery rules are changed. Less likely, for sure, but it is not guaranteed 1) that they will even be dead last, though it does seem likely, and 2) that they will lose the lottery if they are dead last.

I get the change, and don't have a problem with the idea of changing it, but they way they are changing it is what I do not like.

Old
10-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

The new lottery will most likely hurt the Sixers in 2015 but help them in 2016. Look at the second to last column: http://i.imgur.com/FMfrHP8.png

They'll probably finish top 3 in 2015 and will definitely be outside the top 3 in 2016. I'm just thankful they didn't pull this BS last year. Ending up with a Stauskas instead of Embiid would have been devastating.

Noel last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdyQ2...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Mr Black: 10-09-2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Highlight
Old
10-09-2014, 05:01 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
The new lottery will most likely hurt the Sixers in 2015 but help them in 2016. Look at the second to last column: http://i.imgur.com/FMfrHP8.png

They'll probably finish top 3 in 2015 and will definitely be outside the top 3 in 2016. I'm just thankful they didn't pull this BS last year. Ending up with a Stauskas instead of Embiid would have been devastating.

Noel last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdyQ2...ature=youtu.be
Yeah the secret silver lining in this is that there's a bigger chance the Sixers could fall into a top 3 pick while they are on the way back up in the standings.

In two years we'll be looking at a core of MCW, Embiid, Noel, Saric, and whatever top 5 pick they get next year plus enough cap room for a couple max level deals thanks to the new TV deal. If those guys develop as hoped we could have a squad with 2-3 up and coming stars, enough space to add a couple impact players, AND a shot at a top pick even as they are developing and winning more games.

NBA owners are still as short-sighted as they ever were. Teams needed a max contract length worked into the CBA just to save themselves from themselves and the crippling deals they hand out. They seem almost incapable of thinking more than a year or two down the line and when the competitive landscape changes all these same owners are going to be angry when their teams are bottoming out yet not getting top picks.

Closed Thread