HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well the waiver draft was totally fubar!

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 12:11 AM
Chayos

vCash: 500
Well the waiver draft was totally fubar!

I have no understanding why edmonton didn't draft hurme if they had a chance at him or why they did not counter draft a Goalie to replace Val.

So now Toronto has no goalie at all so we need to trade for one or hope we have no injuries at all.

Geez this is totally assinine.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Taco Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
I have no understanding why edmonton didn't draft hurme if they had a chance at him or why they did not counter draft a Goalie to replace Val.

So now Toronto has no goalie at all so we need to trade for one or hope we have no injuries at all.

Geez this is totally assinine.
Hurme makes big boy coin so the Oil would have no interest in him unless they were absolutely positive they could flip him for a pick/prospect/minor leaguer.

I have to agree though, I was dissappointed to see Val go.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:23 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
I'm pretty choked about losing Valiquette as well.. however, as I understand, we would have had to unprotect one of Conklin/Salo to claim a goalie in the draft. I do believe the Roadrunners signed a goalie a week or so ago however.. hopefully they'll score enough that they can make up for a lacklustre goaltender

Old
10-04-2003, 12:46 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

y'all should read up on your waiver draft rules, there's alot of fine print. like dude above me said, they'd have to unprotect conklin or salo, and hurme is too steep salary wise for a back up goalie. if we were to pick anybody up, we'd have to unprotect another body, which is why internuvo was still protected. internuvo is kinda like the cute but annoying girl who you keep on speed dial incase the hot girl with the sense of humour cancels on you; kind of like a plan B thing.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:23 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
y'all should read up on your waiver draft rules, there's alot of fine print. like dude above me said, they'd have to unprotect conklin or salo, and hurme is too steep salary wise for a back up goalie. if we were to pick anybody up, we'd have to unprotect another body, which is why internuvo was still protected. internuvo is kinda like the cute but annoying girl who you keep on speed dial incase the hot girl with the sense of humour cancels on you; kind of like a plan B thing.
Yep it was why Hurme was available in the first place!

Old
10-04-2003, 03:38 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
And mowzie wouldn't he have had to clear waivers to be sent to Toronto anyway?

Old
10-04-2003, 05:23 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
And mowzie wouldn't he have had to clear waivers to be sent to Toronto anyway?
My understanding of it is that the waiver draft counts as clearing waivers. I could be wrong, though.

Chaoys1, I don't think a person can really blame Lowe and Co. on this one. They had to expose a goalie, and that goalie was taken. Pretty simple rule.

As for NOT picking up Hurme, it's not clear to me they had the option. Teams only have to lose one goalie a draft, and Florida already lost one. They didn't have to lose another, in fact the NHL gave the Panthers the option of pulling him back and they chose not to, allowing Carolina to take him.

So, when Valiquette was taken, Edmonton may not have even asked about Hurme. They took the money, knowing that the Panthers didn't have to give up another goalie. It also shows some nice loyalty to Conklin.

There's also a possibiity that Dudley decided to drop money once all his other exposed players were not taken. This theory was expressed by a Panther fan on the main baord last night.

I don't think we can blame Lowe for this one, based on what we know.

Old
10-04-2003, 05:59 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
don't forget that we have Kristian Antilla, Joel Martin and Michael Morrison in Toronto.

I don't think the Oilers or Runners need to worry.

Besides, if worst comes to worst then there's lots of goalies out there that could be had: Pasi Nurminen, Steve Shields, Patrick DesRochers, John Grahame, etc...

Old
10-04-2003, 06:06 AM
Lowetide

Matheson clears it up in the Journal this morning. Here's a brief clip:

Florida had already lost a goalie, Cliff Mason, to Nashville and while the NHL rules say you can only lose one goalie in the draft, there is a hitch.

If you take another goalie to make up for the one you lost, then you have to drop another goalie. that's why Hurme was up for grabs.

The Oilers passed on Hurme because he makes $1.1 million and they'd have had to drop Conklin.

I don't understand it. Conklin is 27, Hurme 28, and the dollars aren't that far apart.

Hurme is clearly a better goalie at this time based on past performance. Unless there's something we don't see to this story, it looks like a misstep.

Old
10-04-2003, 06:40 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
ur right lowetide the waiver draft i am sure exempts the player from waivers for upto one month after the draft, which is why reasoner was never on waivers when he got sent down to Hamilton. Im going by memory here so there could be plenty wrong

Old
10-04-2003, 08:13 AM
Shibumi

vCash: 788
I am reasonably sure that Marty did clear waivers last year.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:22 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Don't panic about losing Val because...

He has to stay up and be Florida's back up or else clear waivers to be sent down. There is a very real possibility that the Oilers would grab him back if that option presented itself.

In the meantime, the show of loyalty to Conklin is obvious. They've picked Conks ahead of both Markkanen and Hurme now. They aren't dumb guys you know, maybe they know something the nay sayers don't?

Old
10-04-2003, 08:38 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
ur right lowetide the waiver draft i am sure exempts the player from waivers for upto one month after the draft, which is why reasoner was never on waivers when he got sent down to Hamilton. Im going by memory here so there could be plenty wrong
My memory is pretty good, altho sometimes short and fuzzy. I believe Marty was protected (can't find info on this now) during the waiver draft. Then he was exposed to, and did clear waivers, in order to be sent to Hamilton. If he had been exposed during the draft and cleared, he could have been sent to the farm at any time within 30 days, or before playing 10 games.

"4. The rights granted to assign a player who is otherwise required to clear waivers to a minor NHL Club expire for any player, who, after clearing Waiver Draft or regular-season waivers; is not sent to a minor NHL club, or is recalled from a minor NHL Club (except on emergency recall) and; remains on an NHL roster for 30 days or plays 10 NHL games."

Old
10-04-2003, 08:52 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
My memory is pretty good, altho sometimes short and fuzzy. I believe Marty was protected (can't find info on this now) during the waiver draft. Then he was exposed to, and did clear waivers, in order to be sent to Hamilton. If he had been exposed during the draft and cleared, he could have been sent to the farm at any time within 30 days, or before playing 10 games.

"4. The rights granted to assign a player who is otherwise required to clear waivers to a minor NHL Club expire for any player, who, after clearing Waiver Draft or regular-season waivers; is not sent to a minor NHL club, or is recalled from a minor NHL Club (except on emergency recall) and; remains on an NHL roster for 30 days or plays 10 NHL games."
Actually,I think you have it backwards...last year Reasoner was left unprotected during the waiver draft (I remember the big freakout on here when that happened), but was surprisingly NOT taken. Later on in the season, he went down to Hamilton for a 2 game stint. He didn't have to clear waivers at that point because he'd already gotten his 'get out of jail free' card from going through the waiver draft unclaimed.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:53 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Don't panic about losing Val because...

He has to stay up and be Florida's back up or else clear waivers to be sent down. There is a very real possibility that the Oilers would grab him back if that option presented itself.
True enough... I suppose the same would go for us with Conklin. If we picked up Hurme, and were still allowed to keep Conklin - we'd still have to send the latter down to TO at some point and risk losing him then.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:39 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Actually,I think you have it backwards...last year Reasoner was left unprotected during the waiver draft (I remember the big freakout on here when that happened), but was surprisingly NOT taken. Later on in the season, he went down to Hamilton for a 2 game stint. He didn't have to clear waivers at that point because he'd already gotten his 'get out of jail free' card from going through the waiver draft unclaimed.
Could be. As I said, "My memory is pretty good, altho sometimes short and fuzzy". He cleared waivers is the only thing I'm sure about. The rest is just details.

I tried to check before posting, but our team site was down this morning, so I took a stab and missed.

Eh - Perfection is highly overrated anyway.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:56 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

R oil still interested Nolan Baumgartner?

When I saw PITTSB pick him up on waivers, it reminded me when he was
playing for washington that Oil were high on getting him. If pittsb releases him does the Iil still want him?> ???

Closed Thread