HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Players who were one year off

Old
05-29-2014, 08:23 PM
Sticks and Pucks

vCash: 500
I think many of you here are misunderstanding the OP's question. Some of you are interpreting this question as "What if Player X had played for Team Y instead of Team Z during Season W" when in fact the actual question is "What if Player X in say the 1979-1980 season had had that season a year earlier". In essence, it's sort of asking, what if Ray Bourque was born a year earlier, drafted a year earlier and thereby had that season a year earlier. Similar to if Hasek had had his 93-94 season in 92-93, the Sabres may have had a different fate.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 09:12 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks and Pucks View Post
I think many of you here are misunderstanding the OP's question. Some of you are interpreting this question as "What if Player X had played for Team Y instead of Team Z during Season W" when in fact the actual question is "What if Player X in say the 1979-1980 season had had that season a year earlier". In essence, it's sort of asking, what if Ray Bourque was born a year earlier, drafted a year earlier and thereby had that season a year earlier. Similar to if Hasek had had his 93-94 season in 92-93, the Sabres may have had a different fate.
I respectfully think you're the one who has it wrong, if all we're doing is imagining what if a superstar was magically born a year earlier, then this is just a pointless exercise that has no basis in reality.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 06:26 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
I respectfully think you're the one who has it wrong, if all we're doing is imagining what if a superstar was magically born a year earlier, then this is just a pointless exercise that has no basis in reality.
Pretty sure you're wrong. Hence the whole point of bourque not having been drafted yet. It's a what if thread. Being based in reality isn't a qualifier.

Anyways, here is one. How different would the NHL of looked im the 90s had Lindros been born a year earlier or later?

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 12:43 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Anyways, here is one. How different would the NHL of looked im the 90s had Lindros been born a year earlier or later?
Wow. VERY different.

In 1990, Quebec had the first overall pick just like in 1991...so the whole saga would have most likely happened as it did, just a year sooner. I guess what changes is that Nolan probably goes to Vancouver at number 2, giving them a crazy Bure-Linden-Nolan trio to build around up front. And PIT would have had quite a decision to make between Ricci and Jagr at 5, at the time it was viewed as a surefire top 4, so it would have been quite a call for them. Does PIT win 2 Cups with Ricci on their team instead of Jagr?

If there's no Lindros in the 1991 draft, maybe Quebec takes Niedermayer at number 1. Crazy to think about this...Imagine Colorado with Niedermayer on defence instead of Forsberg and Ricci at center, but keeping Sundin. I think that probably wins them at least 1 more Cup. NJ never has the rise to prominence that they had without Niedermayer on their team.

In 1992, that has a huge effect league wide. Would Lindros have accepted to go to an expansion Tampa team? If he does, then TB probably doesn't have the tough times they did in the late 90's, but I doubt they would have become a force considering how messed up things were at one point there with all their ownership issues. Philadelphia still becomes a really good team with Forsberg-Brind'Amour-Ricci down the middle, Quebec/Colorado would have likely kept the Sakic-Sundin duo at center, does that still lead to a pair of titles? My guess is yes. Without Sundin, Toronto would have most likely not had the era of success they had between 1999-2004. Ottawa may have won a Cup in one of those years as a result of Toronto not being a thorn in their side.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 03:53 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Wow. VERY different.

In 1990, Quebec had the first overall pick just like in 1991...so the whole saga would have most likely happened as it did, just a year sooner. I guess what changes is that Nolan probably goes to Vancouver at number 2, giving them a crazy Bure-Linden-Nolan trio to build around up front. And PIT would have had quite a decision to make between Ricci and Jagr at 5, at the time it was viewed as a surefire top 4, so it would have been quite a call for them. Does PIT win 2 Cups with Ricci on their team instead of Jagr?

If there's no Lindros in the 1991 draft, maybe Quebec takes Niedermayer at number 1. Crazy to think about this...Imagine Colorado with Niedermayer on defence instead of Forsberg and Ricci at center, but keeping Sundin. I think that probably wins them at least 1 more Cup. NJ never has the rise to prominence that they had without Niedermayer on their team.

In 1992, that has a huge effect league wide. Would Lindros have accepted to go to an expansion Tampa team? If he does, then TB probably doesn't have the tough times they did in the late 90's, but I doubt they would have become a force considering how messed up things were at one point there with all their ownership issues. Philadelphia still becomes a really good team with Forsberg-Brind'Amour-Ricci down the middle, Quebec/Colorado would have likely kept the Sakic-Sundin duo at center, does that still lead to a pair of titles? My guess is yes. Without Sundin, Toronto would have most likely not had the era of success they had between 1999-2004. Ottawa may have won a Cup in one of those years as a result of Toronto not being a thorn in their side.
If Lindros was drafted first in 1990, I think the Canucks still go with Nedved who was rated by many as the top prospect at the time. Detroit takes Nolan so they essentially have Nolan instead of Shanahan in their prime years. I think the Flyers still go with Ricci - I believe he was rated higher than Primeau back then. Pittsburgh probably goes with Primeau but I think the Whalers would have insisted they include Primeau in the Ron Francis deal. Pittsburgh probably complies since Primeau would be useless if they have Francis. Pittsburgh probably doesn't win two Cups with Jagr and the question then becomes who rolls the dice on Jagr. If Jagr drops to the Kings at 7th, do the Kings win the Cup in 1993?

If Niedermayer went to the Avs, they probably beat the Stars in 1999 and 2000 and win the Cup both years. It would be three in a row and probably considered a dynasty.

As for Tampa, I don't think Lindros would report to Tampa. Tampa probably can't afford to nor would they want to fight Lindros in a year-long saga and they make the trade immediately in 1992 either with the Flyers or the Rangers which would make Tampa a pretty good team. They probably can't land Lecavalier if they have Forsberg. If they don't scout Lecavalier very hard would they have drafted his junior teammate Richards? If not, then they probably don't have a Cup.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote