HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban negotiations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2014, 09:44 AM
  #1
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,934
vCash: 500
Subban negotiations

This is a funny tweet but pertinent in Subban negotiations...

Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN · 10m
A GM pointed to a borderline player and said to his superstar "If you want $10 million, you'll be passing to him the rest of your career."

You give 8 years to Subban but hint that leaving a bit on the table would allow him to have better teammates down the road=home town discount.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 09:45 AM
  #2
odishabs
Registered User
 
odishabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,236
vCash: 500
Kessel contract, 8 million for 8 years...any less and Subban is a god send and bless his soul lol

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 09:46 AM
  #3
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 31,914
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
Kessel contract, 8 million for 8 years...any less and Subban is a god send and bless his soul lol
I'd be happy with this.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 09:53 AM
  #4
PricePkPatch*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
Kessel contract, 8 million for 8 years...any less and Subban is a god send and bless his soul lol
I suspect Subban wants an honest and solid contract. He doesn't want to feel short-changed, but he's not looking to break the bank.

IF (knock on wood) he wins the Conn Smyth trophy, for example.. I think 9-9.5 might be honest and solid.

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 10:05 AM
  #5
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 15,179
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Subban loves MTL and the attention that comes with it.

I call 8-8.5 Mill X 8 years.

And I am totally fine with that. ESPECIALLY since the cap will be going up each year.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 10:17 AM
  #6
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,166
vCash: 500
An easy $8 million for this superstar.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 10:38 AM
  #7
MasterD
Registered User
 
MasterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,857
vCash: 500
I understand and agree with the general idea of OP, that said I'll be SHOCKED if he signs for less than 8millions. And even that would be more than fair from him given the taxation here!

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 10:44 AM
  #8
Runner77
******************
 
Runner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,764
vCash: 900
The agent Subban is associated with virtually ensures that he will get full market value.

The issue is which other moves are impacted by Subban's dollars. But that's the cart. The horse needs to be signed first.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 10:50 AM
  #9
_vivelequebec_
Registered User
 
_vivelequebec_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
I understand and agree with the general idea of OP, that said I'll be SHOCKED if he signs for less than 8millions. And even that would be more than fair from him given the taxation here!
Yeah well the taxation ain't that bad and since he's getting paid in USD he has a slight advantage there.

I think 8 years 8 millions makes sense.

_vivelequebec_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 11:01 AM
  #10
3low5*
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
Kessel contract, 8 million for 8 years...any less and Subban is a god send and bless his soul lol
I honestly think Subban is more valuable than Kessel so if he gets the same contract I am golden!

3low5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 11:06 AM
  #11
K1ng0fthecastl3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _vivelequebec_ View Post
Yeah well the taxation ain't that bad and since he's getting paid in USD he has a slight advantage there.

I think 8 years 8 millions makes sense.
I think we will be lucky if he signs for that and doesn't request more.

K1ng0fthecastl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 11:19 AM
  #12
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 35,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3low5 View Post
I honestly think Subban is more valuable than Kessel so if he gets the same contract I am golden!
No disrespect to Kessel who is a great player but Subban is absolutely better. 8 x 8 and PK is leaving money on the table. That's what I think he'll sign for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ng0fthecastl3 View Post
I think we will be lucky if he signs for that and doesn't request more.
He's definitely worth more. I just think he'll sign for the 8. Cross your fingers.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 11:42 AM
  #13
lou4gehrig
Registered User
 
lou4gehrig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,180
vCash: 500
Funny how people sit and look at a number like $8M per and say that's okay but $10M is overpaid and the GM is a moron. When in reality that $2M per year means little in the grand scheme of things and the salary cap could easily fluctuate $2M in any direction for a given season. $2M is what a 4th line grinder fighter or a bottom pairing D gets paid. It really doesn't mean you'll be playing with no one versus playing with a team full of all-stars.

The other reality is that there are too many NHL teams and not enough elite players. So with the cap going up and up and up, the amount of extra, unused cap space each season will be staggering. Just sign PK to whatever is necessary, be happy and stop trying to get a discount.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 11:42 AM
  #14
K1ng0fthecastl3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
He's definitely worth more. I just think he'll sign for the 8. Cross your fingers.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that and I think we will be lucky to get him for 8

K1ng0fthecastl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 11:44 AM
  #15
MooseOllini
BobBarker
 
MooseOllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Subban is not the flavor of the month. He's the real deal. He's not perfect but he has a strong work ethic, the best personality you could think of and a passion for what he does.

Sign him for whatever amount as long as its long term.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 11:50 AM
  #16
waitin425
Registered User
 
waitin425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,855
vCash: 500
8 years at 7.6 million please

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 11:52 AM
  #17
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 15,179
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Funny how people sit and look at a number like $8M per and say that's okay but $10M is overpaid and the GM is a moron. When in reality that $2M per year means little in the grand scheme of things and the salary cap could easily fluctuate $2M in any direction for a given season. $2M is what a 4th line grinder fighter or a bottom pairing D gets paid. It really doesn't mean you'll be playing with no one versus playing with a team full of all-stars.

The other reality is that there are too many NHL teams and not enough elite players. So with the cap going up and up and up, the amount of extra, unused cap space each season will be staggering. Just sign PK to whatever is necessary, be happy and stop trying to get a discount.
Agreed, especially with the cap going up into the 80 + Million in the next 5-7 years.

Having 12-15 % of that invested in arguably the best D-Man in the league is fine.

Don't worry, Habs will get Subban signed in between 8-10 Million a year for 8 years.

He is here to stay.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 11:53 AM
  #18
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 15,179
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
8 years at 7.6 million please
He will get more.

Should be 1 Millon to 1.5 more.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 11:56 AM
  #19
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,980
vCash: 580
Leaf fan here. If you can get Subban at 8 mil take it and run. His market value is skyrocketing. He could easily get 9 - 9.5 mil a year. 10 mil isn't out the question either.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 11:57 AM
  #20
Gary320
Registered User
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 15,035
vCash: 500
I'm at the point where any contract that is over 5 years is good enough for me.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 12:01 PM
  #21
ChikN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
10 years, 80-85M. He's the real deal, DO IT.

ChikN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 12:02 PM
  #22
Mathradio
Drive for 25
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,861
vCash: 500
8 years @ $9.375M per... (or $75M spread over 8 years) therefore making Subban the most expensive Hab in history.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 12:03 PM
  #23
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 4,933
vCash: 500
Look at how much Ryan Suter makes for the first eight years of his contract.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 12:05 PM
  #24
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,394
vCash: 50
If i was Bergevin I would text him: 8x8 just to see what he answers...

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 12:05 PM
  #25
Team_Spirit
#FireBergevin
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 26,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
This is a funny tweet but pertinent in Subban negotiations...

Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN · 10m
A GM pointed to a borderline player and said to his superstar "If you want $10 million, you'll be passing to him the rest of your career."

You give 8 years to Subban but hint that leaving a bit on the table would allow him to have better teammates down the road=home town discount.
Do you think it was Bergevin?

Looking at the UFA and RFA list is dont see anyone else who could ask 10M.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.