HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Johnson re-signed for 3 years, $10 million

Old
05-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
and Killorn
and Sustr
and JT Brown

If they wanted they can re-sign Panik as well. He's frustrating as hell though.
Yep, of course. Plus Barberio and maybe Panik or/and Aulie. I wouldn't be surprised if we trade Panik's rights in package with Lindback.

Kusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 04:29 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusic View Post
Yep, of course. Plus Barberio and maybe Panik or/and Aulie. I wouldn't be surprised if we trade Panik's rights in package with Lindback.
I just can't think of a team who'd be willing to give Lindback a chance at this point.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 04:32 PM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusic View Post
I don't know about Aulie TBH.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Necropolis
ainec

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
If I'm not mistaken he'll still be a RFA when this contract ends.
Well that's great news.

Good contract, now give Palat something similar (and the other RFA's).

Necropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 05:04 PM
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/ligh...deal-20140523/
Quote:
“He had a very good first year and we are counting on him to be better,’’ Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said. “He got better as the year went on, there is still room to improve. ...He’s got the skating ability and the skills and hockey sense and he’s committed to being a good overall player.’’
Quote:
“He really asserted himself, his speed and scoring ability were really evident,’’ Yzerman said of Johnson’s play for USA. “The U.S. had a really talented and young team and it looked like Tyler was one of the guys who stepped up and was a real leader on that team. He did very well. A really good experience for him to get over there and play more hockey. I’m glad he went.’’
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...r-deal/2181186
Quote:
"He had an outstanding first year in the league," Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said. "He's one of several restricted free agents that we intend to get resigned and this gets us started. We're happy to have him under contract and expected to get him signed, so he can continue his development.
Quote:
"A great experience," Yzerman said. "USA had a very talented, young team, and I thought he played extremely well as the tournament went on, got better and better. It's good for his confidence, he stepped up on a talented group of young players and asserted himself on the ice as a go-to player."
https://twitter.com/TBTimes_JSmith
Quote:
Mark MacKay, agent for #tblightning Tyler Johnson, says negotiations were easy. "They were high on Tyler and Tyler was high on them."
Quote:
Says MacKay: "I think both sides are very happy."

Old
05-24-2014, 09:22 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
Contract details:
Quote:
Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO
Details on the 3-year contract extension for Tyler Johnson, makes $2.8 million in 1st year then $3.2 million and $4 million #tblightning
https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO/st...93342962483200

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 09:44 AM
DFC

The more this sets in, the happier I am about it. Not only do I like that we're keeping Johnson around (I maintain that losing him, even for a defenseman, could actually hurt our overall defense), but also that we've given him a nice, fair deal.

We probably could have signed him for less, given that he was a rookie, but I like that we're not being too cut-throat with our players. Especially with the way we tend to hold players in the minors longer than most teams, it's good that we're not taking complete advantage of that by short-changing them when contract time comes around because they haven't proven anything in the NHL.

Just feels very fair.

Old
05-24-2014, 12:15 PM
ArmaHedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
The more this sets in, the happier I am about it. Not only do I like that we're keeping Johnson around (I maintain that losing him, even for a defenseman, could actually hurt our overall defense), but also that we've given him a nice, fair deal.

We probably could have signed him for less, given that he was a rookie, but I like that we're not being too cut-throat with our players. Especially with the way we tend to hold players in the minors longer than most teams, it's good that we're not taking complete advantage of that by short-changing them when contract time comes around because they haven't proven anything in the NHL.

Just feels very fair.
Well said and I agree! This is how you get and keep talent for the long term!

ArmaHedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 12:34 PM
walle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
We probably could have signed him for less, given that he was a rookie,
For less yes but with that we'd most likely lose the bridge-3rd year. The extra year in that is worth of paying a lil bit more because it delays his (likely) raise for one more year. For Lightning it makes perfect sense and for a rookie to be able to do 10M deal is no brainer. Only winners here.

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Jacko95

IMO this contract is made to keep him around for very long unless we trade him or his play falls of a cliff.
I mean his next contract will likely be a long one (5 years) and if he would push Yzerman towards a two year contract, everybody would know he wants to cash in at a July 1st. So we could just trade him prior. And that would have been much easier if he would have signed a 2 year deal. So both sides want to stay away from any UFA talk until Johnsons 30s.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 11:55 AM
The Underboss
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Good signing.

05-25-2014, 01:59 PM
BOLTMAN

Real happy we got this one done.
Happy for Johnson.

As far as trying to save as much money as we can to make sure there is enough money to keep signing and going after free agents not real happy.

I thought the Lightning had a little bad luck with the timing. Johnson just won the MVP so we negotiated with Johnson exactly at the wrong time.

Anyways I'm still happy.

Btw are there any guess's with palat's situation? Johnson signed quickly. I would think we would work on Palat before Johnson. Do you think Palat wants a lot lot more than Johnson and that's the holdup?

BOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOLTMAN View Post
Happy for Johnson.

As far as trying to save as much money as we can to make sure there is enough money to keep signing and going after free agents not real happy.

I thought the Lightning had a little bad luck with the timing. Johnson just won the MVP so we negotiated with Johnson exactly at the wrong time.

Anyways I'm still happy.

Btw are there any guess's with palat's situation? Johnson signed quickly. I would think we would work on Palat before Johnson. Do you think Palat wants a lot lot more than Johnson and that's the holdup?

I dont think that is case at all. Think stevie is going on his list and will work down the list. We dont know his list to be honest. I would assume Palat is number one on it. I would also say he might sign others first based on agents he knows or whatever floats his boat so to speak. If you read everything stevie spoke up about palat and the others and he plans on getting them all signed I see no real difficulties myself.

We got the money I doubt if any of the targeted RFA's do not sign instantly once stevie gives offer etc..

Unfinished Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Lightningz

vCash: 490
I honestly don't want to see Killorn, Panik or Aulie in the lineup next season... I want to see Namestnikov, Drouin and Possibly Koekkoek , like to see connolly have a bounce back season as well.

Lightningz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 03:54 PM
AimForTopCheddar
trust the yzerplan

vCash: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningz View Post
I honestly don't want to see Killorn, Panik or Aulie in the lineup next season... I want to see Namestnikov, Drouin and Possibly Koekkoek , like to see connolly have a bounce back season as well.
No? We're not going to rush any of our prospects. I guarantee you will see Killorn or Panik in the lineup next season for sure.

AimForTopCheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 04:42 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Happy for Johnson.

Anyways I'm still happy.

What free agents are you wanting us to go after? We have no real needs that we'll be able to fill in free agency.

He won the MVP of a quarter final WC game, I really don't think that drove his price up.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 04:46 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningz View Post
You must've missed most of this season because Aulie barely played and Panik only half the year. Aulie was good when he played but doesn't have much upside. Panik is frustrating but potential is massive, he's a solid bottom 6 and is dangerous every time he hits the ice. What's your hate for Killorn? Drouin will be in the lineup and Namestnikov needs to prove he can stay healthy.

Old
05-25-2014, 04:51 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
[/B]

I dont think that is case at all. Think stevie is going on his list and will work down the list. We dont know his list to be honest. I would assume Palat is number one on it. I would also say he might sign others first based on agents he knows or whatever floats his boat so to speak. If you read everything stevie spoke up about palat and the others and he plans on getting them all signed I see no real difficulties myself.

We got the money I doubt if any of the targeted RFA's do not sign instantly once stevie gives offer etc..
Palat's agent might have been waiting for Johnson to sign as a close comparable too. Gotta think the Palat deal will piggy back the Johnson deal.

Old
05-25-2014, 05:44 PM
BOLTMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
What free agents are you wanting us to go after? We have no real needs that we'll be able to fill in free agency.

Johnson signed an extension for 3 years.

We were eliminated this year in the first round ... we are loaded with promising prospects that have no guarantee. Another early exit next year and I would like to go out and get some help.

I'm talking about 2015, 2016, 2017, ect.

We are right there and I want to make sure that we have room under the cap to get some help if needed.

And I hope this all gets done before Stamkos, 3 years from now, signs with his home town Toronto. (There was no reason not to sign Stamkos to ten years or more at the time unless Stamkos didn't want to with the idea of him returning to Toronto)

BOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 05:47 PM
DFC

Quote:

We were eliminated this year in the first round ... we are loaded with promising prospects that have no guarantee. Another early exit next year and I would like to go out and get some help.

We are right there and I want to make sure that we have room under the cap to get some help if needed.

And I hope this all gets done before Stamkos, 3 years from now, signs with his home town Toronto. (There was no reason not to sign Stamkos to ten years or more at the time unless Stamkos didn't want to with the idea of him returning to Toronto)
This year was a smashing success, regardless. We're going to build on it.

Old
05-25-2014, 05:47 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:

I'm pretty sure a healthy #1 goalie would've made that series much different. I really can't see Stamkos going to Toronto, they haven't had a winning product in that city in a long time, we're in much better shape to contend then they are.

Old
05-25-2014, 05:54 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I'm pretty sure a healthy #1 goalie would've made that series much different. I really can't see Stamkos going to Toronto, they haven't had a winning product in that city in a long time, we're in much better shape to contend then they are.
Not to mention they're burying themselves in more and more contract trouble every single year and probably won't be able to afford him.

Old
05-25-2014, 06:34 PM
LoSTRaMaiR

I am a bit late on this I guess. Not taking into consideration whether he deserves it or not (because he probably does) that just seems like a lot to give to a second year guy. Surprising. Does Palat deserve more? Some of you think he will get more, but why? Solely based on stats?

LoSTRaMaiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 06:50 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSTRaMaiR View Post
I am a bit late on this I guess. Not taking into consideration whether he deserves it or not (because he probably does) that just seems like a lot to give to a second year guy. Surprising. Does Palat deserve more? Some of you think he will get more, but why? Solely based on stats?
IMO Palat was just the all-around better player. And he'd established that before he even took over the lead in stats. He was probably our best player outside of Bishop.

Old
05-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Unfinished Business

Send a message via AIM to Unfinished Business Send a message via MSN to Unfinished Business Send a message via Yahoo to Unfinished Business
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSTRaMaiR View Post
johnson was great palat was on an elite pace at end. Am unsure johnson can get to elite. I would not bet against palat. So figure he gets a couple dollars more.

But as said figured killer johnson and palat get 10 million which is very fair in todays market.

All three had great years and whomever said dont want to see killer panik or aulie?

Aulie's only issue is foot speed but we had multiple guys with that problem. He actually played more solid than others most nights he played. When you dont notice a guy who is playing 7th roll or sixth he is doing his job

I cant say I didnt notice sustr or barberio most of the time they were on ice is a reason for that all I am saying. Don't agree with how we handled aulie but got faith in cooper so will accept it.

Panik played great everyone is not tyjo and palat seeing we are getting spoiled best two guys on team as rookies since toews and kane? So put that into perspective before slamming panik.

Killorn is a 0.5 player. He might be topped off but plays all three zones well. Makes a bad penalty here and there or takes one but other wise he is perfect 3rd line player who can spot on top two lines when needed.

He dealt well with marty mess and dealing with purcell all year honestly.

I dont mind moving any of those names but has to make sense and has to upgrade us for issues we HAVE NOW.

Till someone comes up and beats them down another spot or two? Let them play.

Right now kucherov hasnt dont that connolly hasnt brown hasnt namestnikov and drouin havent.

They got to pay their dues.

P.S. I doubt this is last time hear this nonsense with Stamkos but honestly? IF HE IS DUMB ENOUGH TO GO TO TORONTO HE CAN GO.

That is my stance on that one. They are a mess and even if could get him tavares and another two guys they would still suck till overhaul everything from top to bottom.

Is that bad imho. They have a history of choking big time that builds on a man so they got to do more than stammer to make them a good team a hell of a lot more.

I have people tell me daily they will up the contract to max which in my mind would be like 18 million. I doubt if anyone hits ten before stamkos if they pull that stuff I would think the league would try to get the owner of toronto out of the game. I mean this. Cause than it hurts everyone and is before expansion. They can only do soo much. I figure stamkos gets 8.5 to 10 from us and we move on.

If not if he really wants to go to that mess? GOODBYE

Last edited by Unfinished Business: 05-25-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Unfinished Business is offline   Reply With Quote