HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What do the Sabres need most?

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Fan-of-#9

vCash: 500
What do the Sabres need most?

List in order what you feel are the 3 Greatest Needs for this club.

1. 1 Goalie and only 1 Goalie (ie. resolve the goalie controversy)
2. A Big, Strong, Versatile Defenseman (ie. Redden type)
3. A Big Centreman (ie. Handzus)

I thought this thread would be interesting because I think that most of us will have different thoughts and ideas (don't we always tho? )

I truly believe that if we have a number 1 goalie without controversy this season, that will be enough for us to squeek into the playoffs. Biron has had 1 season as the bonafide #1 goaltender, and he did not disappoint IMO. I want to put it all on Marty this year. Noronen is just complicating things around here. If he weren't around it would solve alot of our problems. Miller would have at least 1 season as a backup, and Biron's confidence would be much higher. Instead we are on our way to ruining all of their careers. I don't care who it is at this point, but 1 goalie has to go (preferably Noronen).

Do your thing fellas.

Old
08-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Tra La La

Commit to Ryan Miller.

Last edited by Tra La La: 08-30-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old
08-30-2005, 05:10 PM
Rowley Birkin

1. back one goalie. i'll complete the set by saying that guy should be Noronen.

2. first line playmaking centre

3. add some size and presence, both down the middle and at the back {if we trade McKee}

Old
08-30-2005, 05:22 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

1. Settle the goalie situation in camp. Three men enter, one man leaves, one rides the pine. I couldn't care less who is who at this point.
2. Sign Brown and/or McKee. Solidify the defense, and get a crease-clearer.
3. $#!7 or get off the pot. In my mind, these people need to either secure their jobs in camp, or get shipped for a box of animal crackers:
Pyatt, Connolly, Campbell, Kotalik.
4. $#!7 or get off the pot, part deux. Regier, Ruff, Afinogenov, Peters, whichever 2 goalies make it through camp -- in my mind, you've got a season to prove your worth. Prove it.
5. Flush Quinn. Wipe thoroughly.
6. Commit to the core: We've given Hecht his deal, now lock up Briere, Dumont, Roy, Kalinin and Lydman.
7. Trade for size. We have speed, we have scoring -- unless Pyatt survives #3 or #2 happens, we have little size and strength... which leads to
8. Commit to the roles. Pyatt is never going to be a scorer -- be a checker, and be the best damned checker on the team. Jillson should do the same, and never even enter the offensive zone until he knows his own zone. Tallinder needs to mature. Kotalik needs to stop floating like some mini-Satan. Learn your roles, stick to your roles.
9. Give creativity a chance: Vanek, Connolly and Afinogenov can become creative forces on this team. Give them the minutes and the support, and each one of them can top 60 points this season. If Connolly gets 60 points, we're in the playoffs almost without question.

Last edited by signalIInoise: 08-30-2005 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Admission of guilt: I couldn't stop at 3
Old
08-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Takeo

They need to commit to Noronen (preferably) or Miller. A goalie who knows he's the man and knows he can rebound from poor performances by playing out of it is a confident goalie. I honestly believe that Regier/Ruff is stifling the careers of these two by constantly shuffling them in and out of the lineup and preventing them from achieving any sort of rhythm.

I still believe Biron is the odd man out. He plays consistent hockey only when it matters least and his $2.1M salary is disconcerting considering our financial restraints.

Old
08-30-2005, 06:17 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Whatever they need New Jersey may have it. There current payroll is over $43 million meaning they are $4+ million over the cap. They have to fire sale some players for draft picks and or prospects.

Old
08-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Freezerburn

In this order, the team needs:

1. More Goalies.
2. More 2nd line wingers.
3. Less defencemen.

Old
08-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
I'd like to start with a Quinn-less front office and move ahead from there. We need a Bill Veeck prodigy (perhaps his son Mike would delve into the hockey arena after meeting success with many a minor league baseball franchise) in a consultative role. I can see it now: HIP HOP DEMOLITION NIGHT!!!! OK, that might be over the top, but my point is that creative marketing might help fill the seats while the team putters around with what is, in my opinion, a relatively mediocre roster.

Related to team mediocrity, I think the team needs to keep its head above water this season, make a splash at the deadline if need be, and find themselves a bonafide player to market the team around. Vanek could be this guy if he pans out as everyone hopes, but time will tell...

Old
08-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn
In this order, the team needs:

1. More Goalies.
2. More 2nd line wingers.
3. Less defencemen.
I can't agree more. Better call Darcy...

Old
08-30-2005, 06:45 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
I can't agree more. Better call Darcy...
Oh, and add a bunch of semi-qualified locals!

Old
08-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Fan-of-#9

This what I don't understand....

I thought the only reason, Biron was winning so many games down the stretch of last season was because the team was playing soo well. Now he only plays well when it doesn't matter....

So was he playing well or was it just the team?

When the team loses games it's all Biron's fault. When the team is winning games he has nothing to do with it. Is this fair to a goaltender?

Biron's record last season speaks for itself:

26-18-5 again.... 26-18-5.....that's 26-18-5!

Whether you want to take a gamble on Noronen is up to you. But the debate about whether or not this team can win with Biron should be dismissed. And we all know that Biron can play better than he did most of last season.

A 26-18-5 record in a season where neither the team nor Biron played their best hockey. I guess if this team can consistently play well over the course of a season, and Biron plays as well as he can, this team should be able to amount at least 40 wins if Biron is playing 70 of them and "backup" is able to collect 5 wins in the other 12 starts . He won 26 of 52 starts last season.

The almighty Mr. All Star Tomas Vokoun won 34 of 73 starts.
Brodeur 38 of 75 starts resulted in a win.
Turco 37 of 73 starts.
Lalime 25 of 57.
Theodore 33 of 67.
Khabibulin 28 of 58.
Raycroft 29 of 57.
Dipietro 23 of 50.

That's 8 playoff goalies right there. So someone please explain to me why this team cannot make it to the playoffs with Marty as the starter?

There's only 1 thing Marty has ever needed to get this team to the playoffs-> a backup goalie that can win at better than a 30% rate.

If either Bob Essensa or Mika Noronen did that as Marty's backup we would have seen the playoffs in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Yeah some of you may have heard all this before, but the numbers do not lie. These are facts, and that's why I have trouble understanding why people "prefer" Noronen to be our starter this season.

Consider the GOALIE CONTROVERSY~~~> RE-OPENED!

Old
08-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9

I thought the only reason, Biron was winning so many games down the stretch of last season was because the team was playing soo well. Now he only plays well when it doesn't matter....

When the team loses games it's all Biron's fault. When the team is winning games he has nothing to do with it. Is this fair to a goaltender?

Whether you want to take a gamble on Noronen is up to you. But the debate about whether or not this team can win with Biron should be dismissed. And we all know that Biron can play better than he did most of last season.

A 26-18-5 record in a season where neither the team nor Biron played their best hockey. I guess if this team can consistently play well over the course of a season, and Biron plays as well as he can, this team should be able to amount at least 40 wins if Biron is playing 70 of them and "backup" is able to collect 5 wins in the other 12 starts . He won 26 of 52 starts last season.

Turco 37 of 73 starts.
Lalime 25 of 57.
Theodore 33 of 67.
Khabibulin 28 of 58.
Raycroft 29 of 57.
Dipietro 23 of 50.

That's 8 playoff goalies right there. So someone please explain to me why this team cannot make it to the playoffs with Marty as the starter?

There's only 1 thing Marty has ever needed to get this team to the playoffs-> a backup goalie that can win at better than a 30% rate.

If either Bob Essensa or Mika Noronen did that as Marty's backup we would have seen the playoffs in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Yeah some of you may have heard all this before, but the numbers do not lie. These are facts, and that's why I have trouble understanding why people "prefer" Noronen to be our starter this season.

You ought to take those stats back to the Rumors/Proposals board and see what the peanut gallery has to say. Maybe that would put things into perspective for a lot of the naysayers in the hfboards community...Phoenix? Toronto?

Old
08-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
List in order what you feel are the 3 Greatest Needs for this club.

1. 1 Goalie and only 1 Goalie (ie. resolve the goalie controversy)
2. A Big, Strong, Versatile Defenseman (ie. Redden type)
3. A Big Centreman (ie. Handzus)

I thought this thread would be interesting because I think that most of us will have different thoughts and ideas (don't we always tho? )

I truly believe that if we have a number 1 goalie without controversy this season, that will be enough for us to squeek into the playoffs. Biron has had 1 season as the bonafide #1 goaltender, and he did not disappoint IMO. I want to put it all on Marty this year. Noronen is just complicating things around here. If he weren't around it would solve alot of our problems. Miller would have at least 1 season as a backup, and Biron's confidence would be much higher. Instead we are on our way to ruining all of their careers. I don't care who it is at this point, but 1 goalie has to go (preferably Noronen).

Do your thing fellas.
1 - A true #1 defenseman. Kalinin may move into an area that has been woefully inadequate over the Sabres history -- the "elite" of Buffalo defensemen.

2 - A dominant offensive force who makes the players around him better. This could be Vanek in the very near future. Or not.

3 - Not only resolution of the goaltending but an October to June performance by whoever is left that is consistently and without arguement the #1.

08-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Kruschiki

A big center.

Old
08-30-2005, 09:27 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Zdeno Chara

Old
08-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Fan-of-#9

I'd wet my pants if we landed Chara. I have a hard time believing that the Sens will be able to lock him and Redden up.

I'd offer Kalinin, Stafford/Kotalik and a 2nd rounder for either Chara or Redden. I would be surprised if Muckler didn't show interest in an offer like that. Heck I'd throw in a goalie too.

Old
08-30-2005, 09:57 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 50
What the Sabres need most is the fans. There's a genuine lack of enthusiasm for this management and not a lot of faith in its ability to succeed. Rather than jumping on the band wagon and getting excited about the season, fans are taking a wait and see approach. It would have been so much better if Larry Quinn had not been brought back into the hockey operations side of things and Regier had been shown the door. Sabres fans don't ask for much and they've had to put up with a lot. If a GM they could get excited about had been brought in and they saw changes, there would be a lot more enthusiasm and season ticket sales to go with it.

Old
08-30-2005, 10:35 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

1- goalie - one of the goalies needs to grab it himself, ruff flip flops on goalies because none of the goalies has made the case they are any more deserving than the other two
i dont buy much into the theory that noronen doesnt get the chance to get out of the doghouse
two seasons ago, dumont was deep in the doghouse, and he played his way right out the following season
don't blame the revolving goalie door on ruff

2- dman
people are worried about toughness, but with the recent additions, buffalo has drastically improved the outlet passing from the blueline, something seriously lacking last year
zhitnik is great at logging the puck upice, but who would you rather have carrying the puck through the neutral zone on the power play- zhitnik or drury?
outlet passing is going to be great to watch this year

3- i am not worried at all about the center position, briere's gonna dangle this year, he is amped up bigtime
so far ruff has made two major attempts at size up the middle- kriukov and gratton
i'll pass on a third attemt

Old
08-30-2005, 11:49 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
All we need is Domenic Pittis.

Old
08-31-2005, 04:29 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

I thought of the same 3 things.

Old
08-31-2005, 06:18 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:

Turco 37 of 73 starts.
Lalime 25 of 57.
Theodore 33 of 67.
Khabibulin 28 of 58.
Raycroft 29 of 57.
Dipietro 23 of 50.

I ain't digging up the thread....this has been beat like a dead horse. Simply facts: Biron is a good goalie. No one has ever said he was a bad goalie. Noronen+Miller are cheaper and have potential to be great goailes.

Old
08-31-2005, 06:59 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
I ain't digging up the thread....this has been beat like a dead horse. Simply facts: Biron is a good goalie. No one has ever said he was a bad goalie. Noronen+Miller are cheaper and have potential to be great goailes.
The potential to be great goalies was from scouting reports of 3-5 years ago. That is all hopefull optimism at this point. Noronen has shown me absolutely nothing over the last 3 seasons to make me believe he will ever be a great goalie.

Old
08-31-2005, 07:29 AM
Zobes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
What the Sabres need most is the fans. There's a genuine lack of enthusiasm for this management and not a lot of faith in its ability to succeed. Rather than jumping on the band wagon and getting excited about the season, fans are taking a wait and see approach. It would have been so much better if Larry Quinn had not been brought back into the hockey operations side of things and Regier had been shown the door. Sabres fans don't ask for much and they've had to put up with a lot. If a GM they could get excited about had been brought in and they saw changes, there would be a lot more enthusiasm and season ticket sales to go with it.
If you are looking for more enthusiasm from the fans, Larry Quinn has that all taken care of. By going out and trying to add as much "local talent" as possible to the organization, Quinn has ensured fan dedication for years to come. Because win or lose, people are going to buy tickets like mad if they know that one of the Sabres grew up in Kenmore.

Old
08-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Mellifleur

1) The goaltending situation to be ironed out. We need somebody to step up as the clear # 1.

2) A physical d-man. We have plenty of satisfactory d-man and some that are good on the offense.

3) A center with reasonable size/speed/skill/heart. Drury and Briere are small though both play with heart and are worthy of being on the top 2 lines but a top 2 center with size would be nice. We could shift Drury to wing then. Connolly is too soft.

4) Our offensive potential players to break out.

Old
08-31-2005, 10:02 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Sigh. http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=68971 There it is, in all 16 pages of its glory. Read it, learn it, love it.

Closed Thread