HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

My first mock draft ever...

Old
05-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Mifroid

vCash: 500
My first mock draft ever...

1. Florida Panthers : Aaron Ekblad : Florida's D needs help and most other great options are at center, which is the main area of strenght for the Panthers.

2. Buffalo Sabres : Sam Reinhart : The most safe top prospect on offense. Brings a lot to the table at both ends of the rink.

3. Edmonton Oilers : Leon Draisaitl : I think the Oilers are high on him, otherwise I'd put Bennett right here.

4. Calgary Flames : Sam Bennett : I'm sure Burke loves his fire. Anyway, he's the logical pick there. He doesn't drop further than that.

5. New York Islanders : Michael Dal Colle : Just seems like the perfect fit to play with Tavares long term.

6. Vancouver Canucks : Nikolaj Ehlers : They've had success drafting european players. This one brings a lot of skill. They've drafted two-way forwards a lot lately in Horvat and Gaunce and they have their young power forward in Kassian. Ehlers brings a lacking element here in my opinion.

7. Caroline Hurricanes : Nick Ritchie : I feel like he would do well out there. Seems like a good fit overall, they need wingers.

8. Toronto Maple Leafs : William Nylander : I have him in the top 5 in terms of who I would pick but other players seemed to fit better with the teams in front. This guy would bring insane skills to the Leafs, which they don't have down the middle. Kadri is fine but I believe Nylander's skillset is even better.

9. Winnipeg Jets : Kevin Fiala : This is where it gets harder in my opinion. I'm very high on Kevin Fiala. I think his top-end skill is something the Jets lack. They have a lot of size and physical wingers, power forwards, but they don't have a guy like him on the wing.

10. Anaheim Ducks : Jake Virtanen : It is Jake Virtanen's turn. He could end up being a steal at 10, not sure about his potential. Some think he'll bust. It's too soon but if it were to happen, Anaheim can risk it with their actual depth.

11. Nashville Predators : Kasperi Kapanen : They would have loved Ehlers or Nylander I feel. They will pick Kasperi Kapanen here. They need high-end skill and he's got it. I'm not extremely confident in Kapanen, but there's no denying he's got talent.

12. Phoenix Coyotes : Robby Fabbri : Phoenix's got guys like Boedker, Samuelsson, Doan, Hanzal, physical big bodies up front. I think a skilled player like Fabbri would bring a lot to this franchise. I almost put him at 9 for the Jets but I really like Fiala.

13. Washington Capitals : Haydn Fleury : The Capitals need defense. That's as simple as that. Fleury is very good and could go earlier than that due to team needs. However I feel like he should drop to the Capitals.

14. Dallas Stars : Brendan Perlini : I feel like he's the type of player the Stars love to draft. Brett Ritchie, Nichushkin, Chiasson, etc... They lack a good second line in my opinion to support Benn and Seguin. Perlini could help.

15. Detroit Red Wings : Ivan Barbashev : I'm pretty high on that guy. Complete player, the Wings will give him time to develop and he'll be a hell of a player for them I fear.

16. Columbus Blue Jackets : Dylan Larkin : Just seems like the type of guy that would fit pretty well in CBJ's system. Almost picked McCann here.

I'm tired for now. Will do the rest later I think.

Thoughts?

Mifroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

It's a really good mock, one of the best even.

My only disagreement is that I think Haydn Fluery will go higher, but I may be higher on him than most.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 07:41 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Capitals need defense now, not three years from now. They have a very strong D prospect crop. They don't need prospect defensemen, it's more of a short-term need.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

^ Fluery is too good to pass up at 13 imho...clear cut BPA at that point imho.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Tatar Shots

I'm good with Barbashev to the Wings, he plays a Babcock style of hockey.

Tatar Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Dr Awesome
Bo "knows" Horvat

Not to shabby, but interesting you did top 16.

Dr Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 05:18 PM
DonutLee
7 Past Kevin

Nice mock, I'm with you for the Ehlers pick but all signs out of Vancouver have hinted that the pick will most likely be Virtanen baring that none of the top 5 fall.

DonutLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 10:48 AM
ZeroPT
Beast

Very very very good mock.

Fuel for fire: At the draft lottery, Murray said there was a good chance they would get their guy at #2 anyway and judging on his interviews about what he likes in a hockey player, many sabres fans believe that Bennett will be the pick.

Can't go wrong with either really

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Mifroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Very very very good mock.

Fuel for fire: At the draft lottery, Murray said there was a good chance they would get their guy at #2 anyway and judging on his interviews about what he likes in a hockey player, many sabres fans believe that Bennett will be the pick.

Can't go wrong with either really
Could be true. I prefer Bennett as well.

Mifroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 06:13 AM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Very good mock. I like Perlini going to Dallas. He'd be a good fit in our system IMO.

OttMorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 07:14 AM
Gillies32
Bennett=Gilmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifroid View Post
1. Florida Panthers : Aaron Ekblad : Florida's D needs help and most other great options are at center, which is the main area of strenght for the Panthers.

2. Buffalo Sabres : Sam Reinhart : The most safe top prospect on offense. Brings a lot to the table at both ends of the rink.

3. Edmonton Oilers : Leon Draisaitl : I think the Oilers are high on him, otherwise I'd put Bennett right here.

4. Calgary Flames : Sam Bennett : I'm sure Burke loves his fire. Anyway, he's the logical pick there. He doesn't drop further than that.

5. New York Islanders : Michael Dal Colle : Just seems like the perfect fit to play with Tavares long term.

6. Vancouver Canucks : Nikolaj Ehlers : They've had success drafting european players. This one brings a lot of skill. They've drafted two-way forwards a lot lately in Horvat and Gaunce and they have their young power forward in Kassian. Ehlers brings a lacking element here in my opinion.

7. Caroline Hurricanes : Nick Ritchie : I feel like he would do well out there. Seems like a good fit overall, they need wingers.

8. Toronto Maple Leafs : William Nylander : I have him in the top 5 in terms of who I would pick but other players seemed to fit better with the teams in front. This guy would bring insane skills to the Leafs, which they don't have down the middle. Kadri is fine but I believe Nylander's skillset is even better.

9. Winnipeg Jets : Kevin Fiala : This is where it gets harder in my opinion. I'm very high on Kevin Fiala. I think his top-end skill is something the Jets lack. They have a lot of size and physical wingers, power forwards, but they don't have a guy like him on the wing.

10. Anaheim Ducks : Jake Virtanen : It is Jake Virtanen's turn. He could end up being a steal at 10, not sure about his potential. Some think he'll bust. It's too soon but if it were to happen, Anaheim can risk it with their actual depth.

11. Nashville Predators : Kasperi Kapanen : They would have loved Ehlers or Nylander I feel. They will pick Kasperi Kapanen here. They need high-end skill and he's got it. I'm not extremely confident in Kapanen, but there's no denying he's got talent.

12. Phoenix Coyotes : Robby Fabbri : Phoenix's got guys like Boedker, Samuelsson, Doan, Hanzal, physical big bodies up front. I think a skilled player like Fabbri would bring a lot to this franchise. I almost put him at 9 for the Jets but I really like Fiala.

13. Washington Capitals : Haydn Fleury : The Capitals need defense. That's as simple as that. Fleury is very good and could go earlier than that due to team needs. However I feel like he should drop to the Capitals.

14. Dallas Stars : Brendan Perlini : I feel like he's the type of player the Stars love to draft. Brett Ritchie, Nichushkin, Chiasson, etc... They lack a good second line in my opinion to support Benn and Seguin. Perlini could help.

15. Detroit Red Wings : Ivan Barbashev : I'm pretty high on that guy. Complete player, the Wings will give him time to develop and he'll be a hell of a player for them I fear.

16. Columbus Blue Jackets : Dylan Larkin : Just seems like the type of guy that would fit pretty well in CBJ's system. Almost picked McCann here.

I'm tired for now. Will do the rest later I think.

Thoughts?
Great mock, just have one problem. I love Fiala as well but doubt he gets drafted 9th, I think Virtanen there and Tuch at 10. And McCann in top 16.

Gillies32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 07:35 AM
tbcwpg

I agree with you about what the Jets need, but I think it's more likely Virtanen would be their choice over Fiala. If anyone will go off board, though, it's the Jets.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 06:40 PM
canucks10

I love Ehlers but i feel if Vancouver were going to go for a small skilled player as you alluded they'd opt for Nylander's versatility as he can play center and wing and has already played against men.

I personally would prefer Virtanen followed by Ehlers and Nylander (not sure which one i like more of those 2) but the fact Virtanen is going to miss the combine may set him back a bit.

canucks10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 11:59 PM
JetsOilersfan

Virtanen just had his shoulder repaired. He hurt it mid year and still managed 45 goals but..... speculation is his draft stock will drop based on that injury. Interesting if he drops someone could get a real steal.

JetsOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 02:47 AM
AFTeRMaTH
41st-78th-17th-11th

Since you stopped at #16, and Fiala and Barbashev are gone. The Flyers will take Vrana(hopefully) at #17.

AFTeRMaTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 02:42 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Pretty good mock overall.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 08:24 AM
trickster

Nylander

Toronto getting Nylander would make the entire year worthwhile.
He fits the profile of the kind of player their system is lacking.

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

Because I am a Leaf fan, I stop at 8:
Looking at your top 8, I could very easily see it going that way.

Nylander or Ehlers to Vancouver seem right.

All I know is, It seems concrete the Leafs choose(depending who is left over):
One of (Ehlers,Nylander,Ritchie) or Virtanen

And I keep leaning towards Virtanen as the Leafs pick (not that I particularly want him though, just seems like someone we take)

I always look at the negative: (this is worst case Ontario)
Vancouver:Nylander
Carolina:Ritchie
Toronto: Passes on the talent of Ehlers and takes Virtanen

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote