HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next year's backup

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2014, 09:08 PM
  #101
Striiker
I hate zebras
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage Kage View Post
Maybe for skaters, but after all our goalie controversy, I wouldn't say we are very desirable for goalies to come here.
What goalie controversy? Having backups as starters for years? Having a complete lunatic who couldn't perform? Revitalizing a young goalies career by giving him a fresh start?

Doubt it.

Striiker is offline  
Old
06-18-2014, 09:10 PM
  #102
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 28,726
vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm down with Dubnyk. His price ought to be low. His confidence can be redeemed, and he played some decent hockey behind a horrible team.
Can he move the puck ? I want a mobile guy like Mase as the back up to help the D.

bennysflyers16 is offline  
Old
06-18-2014, 09:32 PM
  #103
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
He isn't mason but he isn't biron either

jd2210 is offline  
Old
06-18-2014, 11:03 PM
  #104
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm down with Dubnyk. His price ought to be low. His confidence can be redeemed, and he played some decent hockey behind a horrible team.
I have mixed feelings about him. He's too inconsistent. Sometimes you think he'll get back to what he was supposed to be, and then a couple of games later he just disappoints again. Plus, I think he'll want more than $1 - 1.5 mio.

Ryker is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 01:41 AM
  #105
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: is what I do
Country: United States
Posts: 40,668
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I have mixed feelings about him. He's too inconsistent. Sometimes you think he'll get back to what he was supposed to be, and then a couple of games later he just disappoints again. Plus, I think he'll want more than $1 - 1.5 mio.
I just about every backup who will available in a couple of weeks have some flaws and inconsistencies. that is why they are backups. I think you could be right about Dubnyk and his asking price. He probably still thinks he is a number 1.
I still would take Montoya and Griess over him.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 01:55 AM
  #106
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I just about every backup who will available in a couple of weeks have some flaws and inconsistencies. that is why they are backups.
Yeah, I know. But I don't like this backup strategy anyway. That is, I don't like that we are filling out the role of a backup with goalies that have firmly established themselves as backups. I'd prefer a bolder approach and go with goalies that might turn out to be more than just backups. I think that, for the price we'd want them, Greiss is the only one such left on the list, and that's why I'm also always advocating for us to do scouting in Europe and bring a promising goalie over here. Knowing full well this is a higher risk, but also a higher reward kind of strategy, of course.

Ryker is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 02:07 AM
  #107
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, I know. But I don't like this backup strategy anyway. That is, I don't like that we are filling out the role of a backup with goalies that have firmly established themselves as backups. I'd prefer a bolder approach and go with goalies that might turn out to be more than just backups. I think that, for the price we'd want them, Greiss is the only one such left on the list, and that's why I'm also always advocating for us to do scouting in Europe and bring a promising goalie over here. Knowing full well this is a higher risk, but also a higher reward kind of strategy, of course.
I rather just take the safe bet on someone who's proven to be a solid bet for 20 or so games than give a random guy a shot. Eventually it's not a bad strategy when you start getting some more goaltenders into the system & grooming them up to that point.

Could you imagine if the Flyers would have given Hovinen a roster spot with the big club right away a few years ago? The guy couldn't even handle the ECHL.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 02:22 AM
  #108
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Could you imagine if the Flyers would have given Hovinen a roster spot with the big club right away a few years ago? The guy couldn't even handle the ECHL.
I think he could very well handle the ECHL, but he resented being sent down. He was decent in the KHL this year, but I guess he's not NHL starter material. But that's just one guy. Bobrovsky turned out fine, and so did Fasth. And it wouldn't be some random guy, it would be someone who was scouted to be a really good goaltender. It just requires a bit of work and going outside the norm of looking at the UFAs only.

Ryker is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 02:44 AM
  #109
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I think he could very well handle the ECHL, but he resented being sent down. He was decent in the KHL this year, but I guess he's not NHL starter material.
He got shelled in the AHL with the Oilers as well after the Flyers cut him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
But that's just one guy. Bobrovsky turned out fine, and so did Fasth. And it wouldn't be some random guy, it would be someone who was scouted to be a really good goaltender. It just requires a bit of work and going outside the norm of looking at the UFAs only.
And that's just two guys. The Flyers never intended for Bob to play that year until he came into camp/preseason & played his way onto the club.

I don't have a problem with that but I'm not comfortable with signing a guy from a European league under the assumption that he will definitely be on the roster based off of what he does over there.

Jakub Kovar puts up great numbers in the KHL yet gets lit up every international tournament I watch for example. I wouldn't put my faith into a guy like that to possibly be one of my two goaltenders on my NHL roster without seeing how he does he first.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 03:28 AM
  #110
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennysflyers16 View Post
Can he move the puck ? I want a mobile guy like Mase as the back up to help the D.
Well, not as well as Mason, but not as horrifically as Emery.

__________________
Saturday night, I like to raise a little harm. I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 09:48 AM
  #111
onlylordsvsmorebp
#gudassnipe
 
onlylordsvsmorebp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,187
vCash: 500
alex stalock re-signs with sharks.two year extension.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 01:44 PM
  #112
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia, AUT
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,203
vCash: 500
With a lot of goalies still on the market I just hope Hexy shows some patience and gets a solid Veteran for cheap unlike Holmgren who always seemed to cover the position too early and ended up over-paying

dats81 is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 02:23 PM
  #113
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
And that's just two guys. The Flyers never intended for Bob to play that year until he came into camp/preseason & played his way onto the club.
Yeah, I know it's just two guys, though I don't know how many others have been flops. And you can probably add Ramo and Lack to that list. Lack has been inconsistent at times towards the end of the season, but his save percentage is still respectable and certainly more than good enough for a backup goalie. The jury is still out on some others such as Berra, as well. But I'm not saying it's going to be a 100% success rate. I know it's risky and that it's probably less than 50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I don't have a problem with that but I'm not comfortable with signing a guy from a European league under the assumption that he will definitely be on the roster based off of what he does over there.

Jakub Kovar puts up great numbers in the KHL yet gets lit up every international tournament I watch for example. I wouldn't put my faith into a guy like that to possibly be one of my two goaltenders on my NHL roster without seeing how he does he first.
Fair enough, we just have different philosophies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
With a lot of goalies still on the market I just hope Hexy shows some patience and gets a solid Veteran for cheap unlike Holmgren who always seemed to cover the position too early and ended up over-paying
Well, the longer you wait, the less options you have, though. You can't have it all. Either you go for the guy you most want or end up choosing between guys that are left.

Ryker is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 02:23 PM
  #114
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 28,726
vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
With a lot of goalies still on the market I just hope Hexy shows some patience and gets a solid Veteran for cheap unlike Holmgren who always seemed to cover the position too early and ended up over-paying
Just came to post the same thing I want Montoya, cause living here I also watch all the Jets games and the guy is a good back up and has proven he can give you good numbers for 20-25 games ( and could be right around 1 mill). But I have no problem waiting a week or so to sign a guy as there are a lot of guys available and it would be very beneficial to get a guy around 700K. Its only 300K, but every little bit helps .

bennysflyers16 is offline  
Old
06-22-2014, 10:45 AM
  #115
backburner
Registered User
 
backburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Lindback because

backburner is offline  
Old
06-22-2014, 10:47 AM
  #116
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 17,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASE THE ACE View Post
Lindback because
because he sucks?? No thank you.

__________________
#itdoesn'tmatterwewontgethimanyway
Prongo is offline  
Old
06-22-2014, 12:30 PM
  #117
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia, AUT
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,203
vCash: 500
A proven backup instead of a project, please

dats81 is offline  
Old
06-22-2014, 12:57 PM
  #118
KrazyKat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De6ogb5keQ4

nabby being nabby

KrazyKat is offline  
Old
06-22-2014, 01:25 PM
  #119
whitstifier
Registered User
 
whitstifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKat View Post
Nabby being Nabby during his prime.

whitstifier is offline  
Old
06-22-2014, 01:30 PM
  #120
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: is what I do
Country: United States
Posts: 40,668
vCash: 50
Nabby wouldn't be a bad choice as a backup if some of the other options fell thru.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
06-22-2014, 01:44 PM
  #121
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 24,372
vCash: 50
Don't want a geezer goalie.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
06-22-2014, 02:07 PM
  #122
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: is what I do
Country: United States
Posts: 40,668
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Don't want a geezer goalie.
didn't say he is my top option but he would be fine on a 1 year deal if some of the other options fall thru.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
06-22-2014, 03:04 PM
  #123
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au
 
FlyersFanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,044
vCash: 500
Greiss..Flyers best option plus he's a UFA

FlyersFanz is offline  
Old
06-22-2014, 03:31 PM
  #124
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 24,372
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
didn't say he is my top option but he would be fine on a 1 year deal if some of the other options fall thru.
He'd be exposed by the Flyers constant penalties.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
06-26-2014, 02:50 PM
  #125
wufuhimself
Registered User
 
wufuhimself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
I am excited to have a year where we aren't unsure about who the number 1 goalie is. Hopefully that lets Hextall take his time and pick the best backup available.

Or Hexy can just get in net.

wufuhimself is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.