HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next year's backup

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Striiker
I hate zebras

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage Kage View Post
Maybe for skaters, but after all our goalie controversy, I wouldn't say we are very desirable for goalies to come here.
What goalie controversy? Having backups as starters for years? Having a complete lunatic who couldn't perform? Revitalizing a young goalies career by giving him a fresh start?

Doubt it.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:10 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm down with Dubnyk. His price ought to be low. His confidence can be redeemed, and he played some decent hockey behind a horrible team.
Can he move the puck ? I want a mobile guy like Mase as the back up to help the D.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:32 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

He isn't mason but he isn't biron either

Old
06-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm down with Dubnyk. His price ought to be low. His confidence can be redeemed, and he played some decent hockey behind a horrible team.
I have mixed feelings about him. He's too inconsistent. Sometimes you think he'll get back to what he was supposed to be, and then a couple of games later he just disappoints again. Plus, I think he'll want more than $1 - 1.5 mio.

Old
06-19-2014, 01:41 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I have mixed feelings about him. He's too inconsistent. Sometimes you think he'll get back to what he was supposed to be, and then a couple of games later he just disappoints again. Plus, I think he'll want more than $1 - 1.5 mio.
I just about every backup who will available in a couple of weeks have some flaws and inconsistencies. that is why they are backups. I think you could be right about Dubnyk and his asking price. He probably still thinks he is a number 1.
I still would take Montoya and Griess over him.

Old
06-19-2014, 01:55 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I just about every backup who will available in a couple of weeks have some flaws and inconsistencies. that is why they are backups.
Yeah, I know. But I don't like this backup strategy anyway. That is, I don't like that we are filling out the role of a backup with goalies that have firmly established themselves as backups. I'd prefer a bolder approach and go with goalies that might turn out to be more than just backups. I think that, for the price we'd want them, Greiss is the only one such left on the list, and that's why I'm also always advocating for us to do scouting in Europe and bring a promising goalie over here. Knowing full well this is a higher risk, but also a higher reward kind of strategy, of course.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:07 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Yeah, I know. But I don't like this backup strategy anyway. That is, I don't like that we are filling out the role of a backup with goalies that have firmly established themselves as backups. I'd prefer a bolder approach and go with goalies that might turn out to be more than just backups. I think that, for the price we'd want them, Greiss is the only one such left on the list, and that's why I'm also always advocating for us to do scouting in Europe and bring a promising goalie over here. Knowing full well this is a higher risk, but also a higher reward kind of strategy, of course.
I rather just take the safe bet on someone who's proven to be a solid bet for 20 or so games than give a random guy a shot. Eventually it's not a bad strategy when you start getting some more goaltenders into the system & grooming them up to that point.

Could you imagine if the Flyers would have given Hovinen a roster spot with the big club right away a few years ago? The guy couldn't even handle the ECHL.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Could you imagine if the Flyers would have given Hovinen a roster spot with the big club right away a few years ago? The guy couldn't even handle the ECHL.
I think he could very well handle the ECHL, but he resented being sent down. He was decent in the KHL this year, but I guess he's not NHL starter material. But that's just one guy. Bobrovsky turned out fine, and so did Fasth. And it wouldn't be some random guy, it would be someone who was scouted to be a really good goaltender. It just requires a bit of work and going outside the norm of looking at the UFAs only.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:44 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I think he could very well handle the ECHL, but he resented being sent down. He was decent in the KHL this year, but I guess he's not NHL starter material.
He got shelled in the AHL with the Oilers as well after the Flyers cut him.

Quote:
But that's just one guy. Bobrovsky turned out fine, and so did Fasth. And it wouldn't be some random guy, it would be someone who was scouted to be a really good goaltender. It just requires a bit of work and going outside the norm of looking at the UFAs only.
And that's just two guys. The Flyers never intended for Bob to play that year until he came into camp/preseason & played his way onto the club.

I don't have a problem with that but I'm not comfortable with signing a guy from a European league under the assumption that he will definitely be on the roster based off of what he does over there.

Jakub Kovar puts up great numbers in the KHL yet gets lit up every international tournament I watch for example. I wouldn't put my faith into a guy like that to possibly be one of my two goaltenders on my NHL roster without seeing how he does he first.

Old
06-19-2014, 03:28 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennysflyers16 View Post
Can he move the puck ? I want a mobile guy like Mase as the back up to help the D.
Well, not as well as Mason, but not as horrifically as Emery.

06-19-2014, 09:48 AM
onlylordsvsmorebp
#gudassnipe

alex stalock re-signs with sharks.two year extension.

Old
06-19-2014, 01:44 PM
dats81

With a lot of goalies still on the market I just hope Hexy shows some patience and gets a solid Veteran for cheap unlike Holmgren who always seemed to cover the position too early and ended up over-paying

Old
06-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Ryker

Quote:
And that's just two guys. The Flyers never intended for Bob to play that year until he came into camp/preseason & played his way onto the club.
Yeah, I know it's just two guys, though I don't know how many others have been flops. And you can probably add Ramo and Lack to that list. Lack has been inconsistent at times towards the end of the season, but his save percentage is still respectable and certainly more than good enough for a backup goalie. The jury is still out on some others such as Berra, as well. But I'm not saying it's going to be a 100% success rate. I know it's risky and that it's probably less than 50%.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with that but I'm not comfortable with signing a guy from a European league under the assumption that he will definitely be on the roster based off of what he does over there.

Jakub Kovar puts up great numbers in the KHL yet gets lit up every international tournament I watch for example. I wouldn't put my faith into a guy like that to possibly be one of my two goaltenders on my NHL roster without seeing how he does he first.
Fair enough, we just have different philosophies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
With a lot of goalies still on the market I just hope Hexy shows some patience and gets a solid Veteran for cheap unlike Holmgren who always seemed to cover the position too early and ended up over-paying
Well, the longer you wait, the less options you have, though. You can't have it all. Either you go for the guy you most want or end up choosing between guys that are left.

Old
06-19-2014, 02:23 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Just came to post the same thing I want Montoya, cause living here I also watch all the Jets games and the guy is a good back up and has proven he can give you good numbers for 20-25 games ( and could be right around 1 mill). But I have no problem waiting a week or so to sign a guy as there are a lot of guys available and it would be very beneficial to get a guy around 700K. Its only 300K, but every little bit helps .

Old
06-22-2014, 10:45 AM
backburner

Lindback because

Old
06-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASE THE ACE View Post
Lindback because
because he sucks?? No thank you.

06-22-2014, 12:30 PM
dats81

A proven backup instead of a project, please

Old
06-22-2014, 12:57 PM
KrazyKat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De6ogb5keQ4

nabby being nabby

Old
06-22-2014, 01:25 PM
whitstifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKat View Post
Nabby being Nabby during his prime.

Old
06-22-2014, 01:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Nabby wouldn't be a bad choice as a backup if some of the other options fell thru.

Old
06-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Curufinwe

Don't want a geezer goalie.

Old
06-22-2014, 02:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Don't want a geezer goalie.
didn't say he is my top option but he would be fine on a 1 year deal if some of the other options fall thru.

Old
06-22-2014, 03:04 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Greiss..Flyers best option plus he's a UFA

Old
06-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
didn't say he is my top option but he would be fine on a 1 year deal if some of the other options fall thru.
He'd be exposed by the Flyers constant penalties.

Old
06-26-2014, 02:50 PM
wufuhimself

I am excited to have a year where we aren't unsure about who the number 1 goalie is. Hopefully that lets Hextall take his time and pick the best backup available.

Or Hexy can just get in net.

Closed Thread