HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov turnover, inept PP cost habs; lose 3-2 in OT

Old
05-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Pointing fingers is... um... pointless. Tokarski has been very good the last two games, even if Price may have stopped one of those goals. Our D had some awful breakdowns last night, but even there, the team as a whole has played well enough to win. Two OT games is nothing to be ashamed of.

The sad reality is New York was gifted the first two games. They took out Price and then faced a shaky first-time goalie. The series became an extreme long-shot the moment Price went down. Yes, Montreal could have won this series had Tokarski started from the beginning and the team had had time to adjust their game plan accordingly. Habs are a better team than the Rangers -- the last two games without Price proves it. But when you spot your opponent two games due to a huge injury, the chances of coming back are slim. Could we still come back? Sure. But if we lose it won't be on Tokarski or most of the skaters.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:36 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrybiv View Post
I have the utmost respect for you. First time I've seen someone admit it. It's obvious.....isn't it? I made the joke somewhere else, that it's a shame the Rangers have to play a consistent 5 against 9. (4 zebras) and still somehow, they manage to win. Kudos to the Rangers.
Bah, even Vigneault said that his team was undisciplined and deserved the penalties. Minimal bias last night.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:38 AM
haburger*

Ya its been a great run.but its looking more and more like a flukey playoff run to me.I was fearing that after gm 2 against the rags but thought our guys would snap out of it.even with a rookie in the nets we got no jam up front.nothing.and this outta gas theory is insanity.what people are seeing now are the REAL habs.great goaltending , solid d , and an offense that chips in here anf there.they had me fooled for awhile tho.lol.

haburger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Markov4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Pointing fingers is... um... pointless. Tokarski has been very good the last two games, even if Price may have stopped one of those goals. Our D had some awful breakdowns last night, but even there, the team as a whole has played well enough to win. Two OT games is nothing to be ashamed of.

The sad reality is New York was gifted the first two games. They took out Price and then faced a shaky first-time goalie. The series became an extreme long-shot the moment Price went down. Yes, Montreal could have won this series had Tokarski started from the beginning and the team had had time to adjust their game plan accordingly. Habs are a better team than the Rangers -- the last two games without Price proves it. But when you spot your opponent two games due to a huge injury, the chances of coming back are slim. Could we still come back? Sure. But if we lose it won't be on Tokarski or most of the skaters.
Totally agree.

Price's injury wasn't a minor thing, it was a colossal hit. The team can't play the same way in front of Tokarski as they do Price. By the time Tokarski had settled in and the team adjusted, we were down 0-2. This is no knock on tokarski but the whole mindset of the team changed. Prime example was Game 2, Subban on the PP, asking Tokarski to pass him the puck from their own zone. Price does handles the puck with such ease, we often take it for granted. He is the 6th man on the ice. Tokarski rarely leaves his net. We'll never know how this series would have faired had Price been in net, which sucks, but that's part of hockey.

Markov4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:43 AM
haburger*

Quote:

Habs are better ?? Ha ha ha ha.wow.they have elite goaltending. They re d crushes ours in every aspect.and they have players up front who score CONSISTENTLY. They are destroying the habs .they deserve to go to the finals.

Old
05-26-2014, 10:43 AM
teh doors
worst habs poster

Feels really, really, really bad. Galchenyuk off the post.

teh doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:46 AM

It seems to me like you need to go back to what worked for you in the past and go balls-out now that we're on the brink of elimination.

That means the EGG line: Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher. Those three young forwards have played really well in these playoffs and have proven chemistry together. That is your #1 line.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek: that line wrecked havoc when Vanek came in. Go back to them. Three struggling players reunited. They could work their magic back. #2 line.

Bourque, Plekanec and Gionta have all struggled. Do not put them together. Briere needs to get more ice time and Bournival is just awesome.

#3 line; Bournival-Plekanec-Briere

That leaves Weise, Moen, Bourque, Gionta for the 4th line. None of them can play C which is a problem. I would try to go the sparkplug route and get Ryan White in there. He could provide some energy put just tell him to be DISCIPLINED. I would also advise against sitting your captain so that means Bourque is out.

#4 line; Gionta-White-Weise

On defense, I might think about sitting Emelin for Beaulieu...

In goal, Tokarski has been great, although not perfect... but can't ask for much more.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Markov4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
Ya its been a great run.but its looking more and more like a flukey playoff run to me.I was fearing that after gm 2 against the rags but thought our guys would snap out of it.even with a rookie in the nets we got no jam up front.nothing.and this outta gas theory is insanity.what people are seeing now are the REAL habs.great goaltending , solid d , and an offense that chips in here anf there.they had me fooled for awhile tho.lol.
We were never supposed to make it this far. This isn't our year to win it all. If we were going to win it all, yes, it would have been a 'fluke', if that's what you want to call it. Look at our core: Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Eller, Price, Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi... 3 of those guys weren't playing last night, most importantly Price. Look at the Rangers, they're in 'win-now' mode. Lundqvist is in his prime, St.Louis and Richards are in the last leg of their careers. The Habs are a team who exceeded expectations and who still have room to grow. They're core is young, with not many in their primes. If you expected us to contend this season then you were mistaken. Enjoy the ride have fun, and if we get a few more surprises along the way then great.

Old
05-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Markov4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doors View Post
Feels really, really, really bad. Galchenyuk off the post.
Imagine how the Bruins felt last round. Posts are part of hockey. I'm willing to bet the Rangers are going to hit a post at a crucial moment in the near future that will cost them too.

Old
05-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Bourque
Vanek - Eller - Gionta
Bournival - Briere - Weise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov4Captain View Post
Imagine how the Bruins felt last round. Posts are part of hockey. I'm willing to bet the Rangers are going to hit a post at a crucial moment in the near future that will cost them too.
They never hit the inside of the post and had the puck come straight down on the goal line though.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
This is such a reactionary opinion. Beating the best team in the league in a seven game series is no fluke. The habs were obviously the better team in Games 2 and 4, but did not come out on top. By all accounts this series should be tied at 2... without the habs best player.

The habs may not win the series, but they have competed and deserve the credit for being one of the last 4 teams in the playoffs. Chin up boys and girls... it's not over, and even if it is by tuesday night, Chuckie, gally, beaulieu and tinordi can only improve.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:51 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
They never hit the inside of the post and had the puck come straight down on the goal line though.
I don't remember if that goal Desharnais saved was off the post, but it was at least as close as that, if not more so

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:52 AM
haburger*

Its been a great ride but still a fluke.good teams dont pull this kinda thing.we have zero offense .it has completely disappeared. That to me says fluke.and I agree we have sum great young players snd ghe future is bright but if t bay had bishop and the bruins werent ice cold offensively we wouldnt evdn be here.

Old
05-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Uber Coca

Quote:

Agreed for the most part. The loss of Price seemed to have an impact on the overall play of the whole team. I feel the Canadiens had a much better execution against a far superior team (Boston), they had more scoring chances and didn't turned the puck over like they are against the Rangers.

It's a shame Price had to be injured. It felt like this was the year we reached the SCF. It may take some years before we see the Canadiens in the SCF.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Habs are better ?? Ha ha ha ha.wow.they have elite goaltending. They re d crushes ours in every aspect.and they have players up front who score CONSISTENTLY. They are destroying the habs .they deserve to go to the finals.
Yeah, the Habs ARE better. After giving New York a two-game head start, we've split the last two in OT. We did that without our best player -- our elite goalie. Do you seriously think the first two games would've turned out the same with Price in nets?? Geez... we'd have won one even with Tokarski, if he'd had the chance to practice with the team for longer than one day.

Old
05-26-2014, 10:56 AM
haburger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
This is such a reactionary opinion. Beating the best team in the league in a seven game series is no fluke. The habs were obviously the better team in Games 2 and 4, but did not come out on top. By all accounts this series should be tied at 2... without the habs best player.

The habs may not win the series, but they have competed and deserve the credit for being one of the last 4 teams in the playoffs. Chin up boys and girls... it's not over, and even if it is by tuesday night, Chuckie, gally, beaulieu and tinordi can only improve.
Its reality.been a great ride too.I know people dont like hearing the fluke word but thats the way she goes boys.our offense has fallen off the face of the earth.actually our offense totally over achieved in gthe first 2 rounds.now its back to where it was all season long.

Old
05-26-2014, 10:57 AM
sonnytheman

I think Moen and White should draw in, and Vanek and possibly Bourque should sit

I'd go with this:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher (we know MT won't change this)
Bournival-Plekanec-Gionta (they need Bouni's speed)
Galchenyuk-Eller-Briere
Moen-White-Weise

(edit)
btw, I see Bournival-Galchenyuk-Gallagher being an amazing line in the future. Speed and forecheck on the wings, with Galchenyuk's passing and shot down the middle

sonnytheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 11:00 AM
jgimb

Quote:

not even close rangers have dominated, terrible defence weak fore check, price or no price. The team has not shown much

jgimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 11:00 AM
haburger*

[QUOTE=Lshap;85662413]Yeah, the Habs ARE better. After giving New York a two-game head start, we've split the last two in OT. We did that without our best player -- our elite goalie. Do you seriously think the first two games would've turned out the same with Price in nets?? Geez... we'd have won one even with Tokarski, if he'd had the chance to practice with the team for longer

We re down 3-1 .we ll see who the better team is.

Old
05-26-2014, 11:03 AM
qwerty123

The better team will win

qwerty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Nynja

vCash: 50
Quote:
After giving New York a two-game head start, we've split the last two in OT.
NY got a 1 game head start. Habs were better in Game 2, but Hank stole it.

And lets not start saying they're lucky cause Chucky hit the post. Boston wound up hitting the post how many times? We called them missed shots, lets not be hypocrites here. Though in this shots case, I believe Lundqvist got a piece of it, so its a save, not a missed shot.

Nynja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Prendan Brust

Well, I don't have high hopes for the rest of this series... It was a crushing loss. They played a very bad game and were given numerous opportunities by the refs. They only have themselves to blame! They didn't deserve this game.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Its reality.been a great ride too.I know people dont like hearing the fluke word but thats the way she goes boys.our offense has fallen off the face of the earth.actually our offense totally over achieved in gthe first 2 rounds.now its back to where it was all season long.
How does that make sense... they overachieved for the majority of the post season? I would say they have underachieved in their last 4 games offensively, and the Rangers, their goalie (The best in the world) and their system deserves credit for that.

Were you expecting a cake walk in the conference finals? This is what happens when you take on the last remaining team in the East... they can outplay you. Thing is, they havn't outplayed the canadiens in two of the 4 games... This series could very well be 2-2... so how can you say it's a fluke?

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Agreed for the most part. The loss of Price seemed to have an impact on the overall play of the whole team. I feel the Canadiens had a much better execution against a far superior team (Boston), they had more scoring chances and didn't turned the puck over like they are against the Rangers.

It's a shame Price had to be injured. It felt like this was the year we reached the SCF. It may take some years before we see the Canadiens in the SCF.
I think we're closer to the Cup than most of us realized. Our core is pretty solid moving forward. We just need to keep the quality of depth high. Our D will depend on how well some combination of Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn and Nygren develop. The talent's there, only the maturity remains a question mark. And of course, we need to keep the same level of offensive depth we got around the trade deadline. Weise is a keeper. Then it's some combo of Vanek, Andrighetto and/or UFA. And don't forget the spike in confidence for Eller and Galchenyuk. That'll pay dividends.

Despite our bi-polar moods, the Habs are now an established winner who clearly are built for the playoffs.

Old
05-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgimb View Post
not even close rangers have dominated, terrible defence weak fore check, price or no price. The team has not shown much
Habs dominated last night's OT and a good part of the game. We lost because of a couple of dumb giveaways, not because of any 'domination'. Habs also dominated game-two, but started an AHL goalie in his first playoff game.

Again, this series was lost because of the first two games. Any team forced to transition to a different game-plan and new goalie is playing with a huge disadvantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nynja View Post
NY got a 1 game head start. Habs were better in Game 2, but Hank stole it.

And lets not start saying they're lucky cause Chucky hit the post. Boston wound up hitting the post how many times? We called them missed shots, lets not be hypocrites here. Though in this shots case, I believe Lundqvist got a piece of it, so its a save, not a missed shot.
I never said anything about luck last night. The last two games are a fair reflection of what these teams can do against each other. Unfortunately, we were already down two games before we got started.