HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Breakout Players.

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2005, 10:07 AM
Fan-of-#9

vCash: 500
Breakout Players.

There are soo many players on our team that have the potential to have a breakout season. If may or may not happen...here's how I rank the possibilty of some players to have a breakout season:

1. Taylor Pyatt
2. Tim Connolly
3. Henrik Tallinder
4. Maxim Afinogenov
5. Derek Roy

I do not expect to see much improvement from Kotalik, Jillson or any of our goalies. Kalinin will be solid again by I don't expect him to emerge a a legit #1 D-man yet. Maybe after a full season as our anchor we will really see what his potential is.

Pyatt has Bertuzzi potential, he has ALL the tools. Tim Connolly for sure has the potential to be a 50 assisit guy in this league if he's in the right situation. These guys are both top picks, I'd be very surprised if at least 1 of them doesn't reach the potential they have.

Old
08-31-2005, 10:55 AM
ajsonor

I'm going to take a shot at the breakouts, I agree with your picks. I considered past performance and list what I would consider a breakout performance.

Taylor Pyatt:
Three year average in games, goals, assists, points, PIM, and +/-:
63,11,12,23,33,-4
Considered Breakout:
70,20,20,40,80, 5 - Playing on the 3rd/4th line at high effort and earning PP + SH time.

Tim Connolly
Three year average in games, goals, assists, points, PIM, and +/-:
82,11,27,38,39,-13
Considered Breakout: playing regluarly and not being in the doghouse
75,15,45,60,40, 0

Henrik Tallinder
2 year average in games, goals, assists, points, PIM, and +/-:
Considered Breakout:
70,07,20,27,40, 12 - By the end of the year a top-4 quality D-man

Maxim Afinogenov
last full Three year average in games, goals, assists, points, PIM, and +/-:
77,17,18,35,55,-4
Considered Breakout:
80,30,30,60,65, 0

I'm going to skip Roy because I think he'll be playing 3rd line minutes this year and that his longterm potential is a quality 2nd liner, which leads me to believe that he won't "breakout" to meet his potential stuck behind Drury, Briere, and maybe Connolly.

So here are my thoughts on what would be a breakout season for these guys, lets hope some of them actually step up and do it.

Old
08-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Mellifleur

There are soo many players on our team that have the potential to have a breakout season. If may or may not happen...here's how I rank the possibilty of some players to have a breakout season:

1. Taylor Pyatt
2. Tim Connolly
3. Henrik Tallinder
4. Maxim Afinogenov
5. Derek Roy

That's a fair list I would say. Problem with 2 of those players is that they are centers and we have alot of centers. Drury, who could be shifted to LW, he's played there before. Briere, who will probably stick as a center. Mair can play center as well though he can be put in RW I believe. If either Mair or Drury shift to wing then Roy and Connolly will be fighting for a center spot. If it's Drury then 2nd line center would be open for either one. If Mair shifts then it will be 3rd line center. Who ever loses does not have the break out season.

It would be nice to see Kotalik break it, and I think it is possible. If Jillson gets into the game a bit more I see him becoming more of a force. He was a good prep school player, was a big mean defenseman with a great point shot. I remember San Jose was drooling over the idea of Jillson and Stuart as their top defenders... but I think Jillson did not show heart and and San Jose had other options in the wings...

I definitely see Afinogenov improving if the NHL rules work to his favour. His game is built all around speed and with the new passing rules and if the NHL really enforces obstruction this time around... well we'll see...

Last edited by Mellifleur: 08-31-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Closed Thread