HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014-15 New York Rangers Off-Season Report Card

Old
05-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

vCash: 500
2014-15 New York Rangers Off-Season Report Card

Please grade and comment on the performance of players and coaches for the regular season and the playoffs. Use an A-F system.

Dan Girardi
Kevin Klein
JT Miller
Kevin Hayes
Tanner Glass
Derick Brassard
Marc Staal
Jesper Fast
Chris Kreider
Derek Stepan
Dan Boyle
Martin St. Louis
Ryan McDonagh
Dominic Moore
Mats Zuccarello
Matt Hunwick
James Sheppard
Rick Nash
Carl Hagelin
Keith Yandle

Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Talbot

Glen Sather/Roster
Alain Vigneault
Scott Arniel/Power Play
Ulf Samuelsson/Penalty Kill
Benoit Allaire/Goaltending Coaching

05-29-2015, 10:03 PM
DieByTheShield
User Title Loading..

Dan Girardi: F
Kevin Klein: F
JT Miller: F
Kevin Hayes:F
Tanner Glass: F-
Derick Brassard: D+ (game 6)
Marc Staal: F-
Jesper Fast: F
Chris Kreider: F
Derek Stepan: F
Dan Boyle: F
Martin St. Louis: F--
Ryan McDonagh: D+ (foot injury in games 6 and 7)
Dominic Moore: F
Mats Zuccarello: A (he was injured so he passes)
Matt Hunwick: F
James Sheppard: F
Rick Nash: F-
Carl Hagelin: F
Keith Yandle: F

Henrik Lundqvist: A-
Cam Talbot: A-

Glen Sather/Roster: F
Alain Vigneault: F--------------------------------------------------
Scott Arniel/Power Play: F--------------------------------------------------
Ulf Samuelsson/Penalty Kill: C
Benoit Allaire/Goaltending Coaching: B+

**** this team.

Last edited by DieByTheShield: 05-29-2015 at 10:26 PM.
DieByTheShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2015, 10:18 PM
rangersfan9

Dan Girardi: B+. There are tons of haters, but he had a good season and very good post-season.

Kevin Klein: B. Started out the season well. Ended it terribly.

JT Miller: A-. Good season. A player that should be very good for us going forward. Got better as the season went along.

Kevin Hayes: A. Among the best rookies in the league this season. We took a flier on him. It looks like it's going to work out.

Tanner Glass: C-. Its not an F because he was decent in the postseason. He was the worst player in the NHL early in the season.

Derick Brassard: A. He's turned into a #1 center and was very good in the playoffs.

Marc Staal: C+. Way too inconsistent. Was bad early on, was better in the middle of the season. Was among our worst players in the last two rounds of the playoffs.

Jesper Fast: B+. Good season. I think he will be a big help to the team in the future.

Chris Kreider: B. Good season. Played a little better this season than last. Slowly improving. Good playoffs, all things considered.

Derek Stepan: B+. His best season to this point, but he was bad against the Lightning in the ECF.

Dan Boyle: C. Had a very bad season. Continued that early in the postseason. Picked it up as the playoffs went along.

Martin St. Louis: C. Good early on. Since his injury, he's been the worst player on the team.

Ryan McDonagh: C+. Very bad season by his standards. I don't know if its the pressure of the "C".

Dominic Moore: B+. Very underrated. Had another good season.

Mats Zuccarello: B+. Struggled early on. Picked it up after that. Too bad about the injury.

Matt Hunwick: C+. He was about what he was advertised to be. Not good enough to be a #6 on a top team. Played the #7 role well, but he played more games than I would've liked.

James Sheppard: C. Didn't play well until the last few games of the playoffs that he was in the lineup.

Rick Nash: C+. His best season as a Ranger. Probably the most disappointing Ranger in the playoffs.

Carl Hagelin: B. Very typical Hagelin type of season. He played like he usually does.

Keith Yandle: C-. The trade hasn't worked out to this point. We gave up a lot, and he hasn't justified us making the trade yet. He wasn't good until later in the playoffs.

Henrik Lundqvist: A-. He did his job. Could've been better at times, but he wasn't why we didn't win the Cup this season.

Cam Talbot: A-. Continued where he left off last season. I hope he's traded though.

Glen Sather/Roster: C. Mixed bag. Hayes signing, Brass extension were good. Yandle trade hasn't worked out. The MSL trade is looking worse as time goes by.

Alain Vigneault: C+. He had a very good regular season. I thought he was out-coached multiple times in the playoffs.

Scott Arniel/Power Play: C. Too inconsistent. So up and down. The Yandle trade didn't help. The PP lines should've been changed in the playoffs.

Ulf Samuelsson/Penalty Kill: A-. Very good in the regular season. Slightly worse in the playoffs, but still pretty good.

Benoit Allaire/Goaltending Coaching: A. Hank and Cam had good seasons. Skapski filled in well. I like the work Allaire did with our goalies this season.

rangersfan9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2015, 11:02 PM
OnlyRevolutions
Infinite Jest

I feel like I gave a lot of B's. Guys were good, but few played like superstars throughout the entirety of the season and playoffs. Just goes to show I think this team could use a serious game-breaking talent to take the next step, but it it also speaks to the depth the team had all year, able to reach the conference finals (and win the pres. trophy) despite multiple injuries throughout the year.

I also feel like I'm going off of the emotion following the loss, so let's just go with it. Guarantee I'll look at this tomorrow and scratch my head.

Coaching/Staff

Allaire - A+ (What needs to be said? The guy is a great goalie coach.)
Arniel - D- (This ******* and his ****ing triangle PP. Can't stand his ****.)
Samuelsson - B (Our defense stayed okay all year despite some injuries on and off. PK wasn't bad, but not great. Ulfy did a pretty good job, but the defense broke down in the post-season).
Vigneault - B (Props to AV for getting us to the conference finals and for winning the pres. trophy despite losing your #1 goaltender for a period of time. But his unwillingness to make much-needed adjustments, protecting the lead, and playing Glass in key situations are charges against him).
Sather - B- (Typical Sather year. Some really great, shrewd trades. Some really bad lunges to get aging talent. Put together a good roster, but needs to watch how he unloads younger talent and picks).

Goaltending

Hank - A (Shaky in some games, but usually bounced back, came up big when needed)
Talbot - A+ (Kept us afloat while Hank was out. Was a terrific backup and then some. Sure, had some bad games, but he got us some big wins as well. No Talbot, no pres. trophy.)

Defense

McDonagh - B+ (Expected more of him, but he's been off all season. Still kicked in and played, but something was off. Still not terrible)
Staal - B- (Had some really great games and some really crappy games. Helped shut down some of the biggest offensive threats in the playoffs)
Girardi - B (Pretty much did what he's advertised for. Some dumb decisions, some dumb plays, but is a minute muncher in defensive situations)
Boyle - C+ (Didn't really add the desired offense at all and didn't do much the PP. Not entirely his fault, but when that's your main use for the team, it's going to cost you. Wasn't a total liability either. Was pretty good in the playoffs)
Yandle - C for the regular season, A-- as the playoffs went on (Wasn't much in the regular season, but stepped it up as the playoffs went on. Once he was used to the system, he showed off his skill. Liked what he offered).
Klein - B+ (Had a really great regular season until the injury and then lost it in playoffs. Looked like our best d-man at times).
Hunwick - C (Not great, but not awful. Played when he needed, made some mistakes, but kept up).

Forwards

Stepan - A- (Either was really good or invisible. Was our best player for stretches, though he sometimes had to work with lackluster linemates)
Brass - A (Arguably our best forward in the playoffs. Became a monster for game 6, put up a good number of points, and really elevated his play)
Nash - B+ (Regular season all-star. Offense disappeared in the playoffs. Kept up defensively and chipped in assists)
Kreider - B- (Chipped in offensively, though I think there' still another gear to his game. Took stupid penalties. Needs to stay disciplined).
Fast - A- (Looked pretty good wherever he was placed in the lineup. Brought some grit excellent boardplay, and a little bit of offense. I honestly think he was a pretty solid addition to the lineup and was rarely a defensive liability. His numbers won't wow, but his defensive play is good).
Zuccs - B+ (One of our primary offensive catalysts all year. Takes a hit to his grade because of his slow start.)
Hagelin - B- (Used his speed all season. Lost on some big chances because of his hands, but he did set up some nice plays. Chipped in offensively here and there. Disappeared as the playoffs went on).
Hayes - B- (Was expecting far more out of him in the playoffs. Had a very good regular season and was a very dynamic player, but didn't do much in the playoffs).
MSL - D (Started off good and got worse and worse. Legs looked shot, made dumb plays, all of that).
Miller - C+ (Took a while to get his big-league legs. Made some dumb turnovers. Still made some in the playoffs, but showed some serious flashes of skill and why he was a first-round pick. Has an extra gear, just needs to employ it consistently. Adds some much-needed grit. He and Fast on a line would be interesting to watch as a grinding line willing to lay some hits and drive possession if paired with a good finisher).
Glass - D-- (Horrible all season. Looked a bit better in the playoffs).
Moore - B (Was solid on faceoffs, good defensively, and centered a line anchored by Glass. He chipped in some points and played his game).
Sheppard - C+ (Wish he would've had more chances as he looked good at times, but, based on what he offered, it's a C+)

OnlyRevolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2015, 11:16 PM
Dactyl
stats are pure CRAP

Dan Girardi F
Kevin Klein D
JT Miller D
Kevin Hayes A
Tanner Glass He doesn't even deserve a ****ing F
Derick Brassard A
Marc Staal D
Jesper Fast B+
Chris Kreider B
Derek Stepan B+
Dan Boyle B
Martin St. Louis get the F out
Ryan McDonagh C-
Dominic Moore A
Mats Zuccarello A
Matt Hunwick A
James Sheppard lol did he even really play
Rick Nash A
Carl Hagelin B
Keith Yandle B

Henrik Lundqvist A
Cam Talbot A

Glen Sather/Roster C- that defense is brutal
Alain Vigneault D why the **** do you do stupid things
Scott Arniel/Power Play F
Ulf Samuelsson/Penalty Kill B
Benoit Allaire/Goaltending Coaching A

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2015, 11:17 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
Dan Girardi F: I've been over this, I don't feel like doing it again.
Kevin Klein D: Good regular season; **** the bed the playoffs for the second year in a row.
JT Miller B: Made huge strides in the playoffs. Not a good shooter, but compliments top talent well
Kevin Hayes A-: Underwhelming in the playoffs but he needs to learn. Top 6 talent.
Tanner Glass C: Eh he's Tanner Glass, what do you want?
Derick Brassard A+: No explanation needed
Marc Staal F: I've been over this, I don't feel like doing it again.
Jesper Fast A: Another guy like Miller who is a great "digger" for offensive talent. Brilliant defensively.
Chris Kreider A-: Huge strides in his overall game. Can't be relied on as much as he is for goals, and that's not his fault.
Derek Stepan B-: Brutal regular season by his standards, was solid in the playoffs.
Dan Boyle A+: Our best defenseman all year. Again, I've been over this.
Martin St. Louis F: Retire.
Ryan McDonagh Won't grade him, I think he was injured.
Dominic Moore A: Best 4C in the league
Mats Zuccarello A: Huge possession driver and playmaker. He was missed.
Matt Hunwick A: Extremely solid. I'd give him a crack at starting next year.
James Sheppard B: I like his game
Rick Nash A+: Regular season MVP, did all he could in the playoffs.
Carl Hagelin B-: Awesome possession driver, maddening inability to shoot.
Keith Yandle A: Best PMD we've had since Leetch.

Henrik Lundqvist A+: He's Hank
Cam Talbot A+: He played like Hank

Glen Sather/Roster A-: Great team, but two glaring holes killed us.
Alain Vigneault A: Did everything he could with the personnel he had
Scott Arniel/Power Play B: Inconsistent at times, not lethal, but solid. People expect too much out of it.
Ulf Samuelsson/Penalty Kill D: Missed assignments everywhere in the playoffs, and that shouldn't happen.
Benoit Allaire/Goaltending Coaching A: Did great with Talbot.

Click here for Brassard Party
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2015, 11:34 PM
Rick Nash 61
The Best

Dan Girardi: C. Did what was expected of him (IMO), but that's not that much. Want him traded.
Kevin Klein: C. A+ for the season, F for the playoffs
JT Miller: B. Good season for him, finally stuck in the NHL. Still has a lot more potential to play to.
Kevin Hayes: B+. Fantastic regular season, gonna be great for us years to come. But left a lot to be desired in the playoffs
Tanner Glass: F+. He's Tanner Glass, but he was a little less Tanner Glass in the playoffs.
Derick Brassard: A. I love this man. Beauty.
Marc Staal: C-. Had one good stretch early this season. That's it. Doesn't live up to his name.
Jesper Fast: B+. Became a solid player.
Chris Kreider: B-. Plays to his potential half the time but when he's on he's a force. Probably will never see him on all the time.
Derek Stepan: A-. Had a few cold spells. But he's a 1C.
Dan Boyle: B-. He had too many mind numbingly bad plays but was really solid otherwise.
Martin St. Louis: LOL
Ryan McDonagh: C. Everyone knows what he can be. He needs to be that guy next season.
Dominic Moore: B+. He is a perfect 4C. Don't ask for more of him though.
Mats Zuccarello: B+. Very slow start but he got out of it and stayed out. Too bad we couldn't see him in the playoffs.
Matt Hunwick: B+. Solid 7th D man.
James Sheppard: C/inconclusive. Didn't get a chance to make his mark.
Rick Nash: A-. NHL MVP until February until those neck problems or whatever it was slowed him down.. Played better in the playoffs than the million and five threads about him suggest.
Carl Hagelin: B-. Speedy defensive winger. Does not have enough offensive talent to be anything more.
Keith Yandle: B+. Started slow after the trade and in the playoffs. But ultimately showed he is worth the package we gave up for him. Can't wait to see what he does in the full season.

Henrik Lundqvist: A-. Shaky some games but he's the king.
Cam Talbot: A. This man held the fort and will be an NHL starter somewhere next season.

Glen Sather/Roster: B+ if you only count this year and not the MSL trade. Got the Hayzer, re-upped Brass to what's looking like a great contract, gave away some of the future but got a playmaker back in Yandle.
Alain Vigneault: B. Coached the president trophy winners. Out-coached on multiple fronts in the playoffs.
Scott Arniel/Power Play: C. Powerplay was either really on or really off. Who knows if this is his fault or not though.
Ulf Samuelsson/Penalty Kill: A-. Coached a very good PK, having defenseman that can't move isn't his fault.
Benoit Allaire/Goaltending Coaching: A++++ This guy is a ****ing tank.

Rick Nash 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 12:00 AM
HFBS

My Take on Everything

Just got home from the game. Here's my take on everything and everyone:

McDonagh - Not what he was. Maybe he will be again. He gutted it out tonight. We'll see how badly he was hurt.

Girardi - I know a lot of people aren't happy with him and he's slow, but he was the steadiest defensive defenseman in the playoffs. OK, maybe that's not what we want to hear.

Staal - Was he hurt? Damn, I hope so because he seems to purposely slow down when chasing the puck behind the goal line waiting for the opposition to catch up. He's a turnover machine.

Klein - I hope his poor playoff play was due to his injury and lengthy absence.

Boyle - Better later in the playoffs than earlier but he refuses to accept the fact that he's a defenseman and play his position. On the rare times he tries to play defense, he can't

Yandle - Huge disappointment. Left-handed Boyle. We gave up the Duke for the Yutz.

Hunwick - I like him and would have much rather he be #6 and we kept the Duke.

Brassard - Wasn't great every game but our best forward in the playoffs

Nash - A disgrace. Made one power move in 20+ playoff games. Well, that's one more than last year. Can't wait until he scores 10 goals in his first 10 games next year and Sam Rosen tells us how great he is.

Zuccarello - What a Ranger should be.

Stepan - Mr. Hero a third of the time. Mr. Invisible two thirds of the time.

Kreider - Mr. Hero a third of the time. Mr. What the *&%$ Are You Doing two thirds of the time.

St. Louis - The only good thing about being at this game was that's the last time I'll see him in a Ranger uniform.

Kevin Hayes - Surprisingly good in the regular season. Disappointment in the playoffs. Hopefully he'll learn and be better.

Fast - Wish he had more talent but if all the Rangers tried as hard as he does we'd have won the series with not much trouble.

Miller - Played himself up because he was good or rest were bad?

Moore - Can't dislike him but weak defensive play cost us the first goal and game tonight.

Glass - Still don't know why he's so despised. Does plus/minus lie???

Hagelin - Faded away as playoffs went on

Sheppard - Does he stay? Do I care?

Lundqvist - Maybe the best Ranger of all time. He deserves better than this. And so do we.

Talbott - Can't wait for the Rangers to give him away for nothing and bring in a crappy backup they give away the farm for.

Vineault - It's evidently no accident he wins President's Trophies but no Cups.

Overall - They didn't try. They didn't try. They didn't try. When they were down 1-0 in the third they finally tried. The team doesn't hustle. They just don't. Zuke does, Fast does, Brassard does, sometimes Kreider, sometimes Miller. They didn't hustle since the first game of the playoffs. Sometimes for stretches but never the whole game. Never, ever.

Last edited by HFBS: 05-30-2015 at 01:35 AM.
HFBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 01:40 AM
Zamboner
Your move, creep.

Dan Girardi: C+
Elevated his game for the playoffs, otherwise, he'd be in the D range.

Kevin Klein: C
Opposite of Girardi. Started in the B range, and slipped as the year went on.

JT Miller: C+
Miller had flashes of greatness this playoffs, but this is a grade for the full year, where he was wildly inconsistent. Which is fine. Young players need time to develop. I expect big things in the future. He's got a great shot. Lets hope he figures out how to unleash it more often, so he's not Artem Anisimov, who also has a great shot, yet rarely got it off.

Kevin Hayes: A-
His point production from the 3rd line was sick. He's going to be a stud. He already is. The Brassard vs. Stepan as a 1st Line Center debate will be over in a year or two, because it will be Kevin Hayes. He didn't play as good in the playoffs, but he wasn't overmatched. Points tend to go down in the playoffs. So it goes.

Tanner Glass: F
Atrocious. Definitely elevated his game in the playoffs, but he was the worst player in the league for about seven months. There is no other grade.

Derick Brassard: B+
A few days removed from a playoff hat trick, it's easy to forget that Brassard was extremely hot and cold this year, like every other one. He's a quality player, and I love having him on the Rangers in the playoffs, but he hasn't cemented himself as a first line center, by any means. He's still borderline, and you're not sure what you'll get night to night.

Derek Stepan: B+
Equal grade to Brassard. If it was a ten question quiz, they'd both get a different combination of 8 questions right. Step had the same inconsistencies night-to-night. Brassard's offense ceiling was higher this year, but Step equals him by playing stellar defense even on nights he's "invisible" on offense. A bad Stepan game still means quality defense and PK.

Marc Staal: B
He was the best D-Man of the regular season. And by a large margin. Not nearly as bad in the playoffs as this board will have you believe (how did Stamkos look matched against him?) but still only so-so. If the ankle injury turns out to be true, that would explain a lot. I'll ride with Marc Staal any day.

Jesper Fast: B-
I was underwhelmed by him much of the year, but he turned it up in the playoffs. Jesper is going to be a quality bottom six guy for years to come.

Chris Kreider: B+
Along with Brassard, the Ranger forward I'm most happy to see in the playoffs. He'll drive us all crazy with penalties, but Kreider needs to play like a lunatic, and lunatics take penalties.

Dan Boyle: B-
Boyle was rightly polarizing. The people that say he can't play defense are right. He is terrible at defending forwards. The people that say he's a good defender are also right. A huge part of playing defense is moving the puck out of the zone, and adding offense when needed, and Boyle excelled at that.

Martin St. Louis: D
Marty scored 52 points in 72 games and was 4th on the team in scoring. He had a better regular season than most remember. This is why he's not an F. But his points diminished every month starting in January, and his playoffs were a disaster. He's finished.

Ryan McDonagh: B-
I though Mac Truck regressed in every facet of his game. He played at such a high level last year, that a regressed McDonaugh is still a very good defenseman, but it was a disappointing year. I expect him to bounce back next year. As a captain, I preferred him to Cally/Drury. Mac showed a fire those two did not.

Dominic Moore: A-
4th line stud. Fuget aboot it.

Mats Zuccarello: B-
Slow start prevented him from a very good year. No playoffs leaves him mysterious. Would have been interesting to see if he would have elevated or knocked down his grade.

Matt Hunwick: C+
C+ might sound bad, but a C+ is a damn good 7th D-Man, which is what Matt Hunwick is. I was outraged every time he was scratched for Johnny Moore who is a bad 7th D-Man.

James Sheppard: D-
I found him pretty useless for most of the year.

Rick Nash: A
He (and our two goalies) got us the President's Trophy. It didn't matter tonight, but I was comforted knowing the Rangers would have home ice every series. I don't think Nash ever played as bad as the criticism he got. But I understand his detractors position. I'm not ready to give up on Nash, but if the front office did, I wouldn't be outraged. Unless the trade was really bad.

Carl Hagelin: C+
I (mostly) love Carl Hagelin. He's a high quality bottom six player. Bottom six players are far from perfect. This is why Carl is mostly a C+ player.

Keith Yandle: Incomplete
When he's playing well, I love him. When he's not playing well, I want to punch inanimate things. I'd like a full season to see which player he is more often.

Henrik Lundqvist: A-
2.25/.922 in the regular season, and it felt like an off year. Do not take this man for granted. His playoffs were beastly. As usual.

Cam Talbot: A
Along with Nash (and Henrik), is the reason we won the President's Trophy. I would trade him this offseason, because I don't think his value will ever be higher, but if "wasting" Cam-Bot as a backup is the wrong decision, **** being right.

Glen Sather/Roster: B-
Girardi over Stralman was a huge blunder and the Rangers always seem a forward short. I believe this was the best Rangers roster he ever put together, and it was a roster with four rookies (I'm counting Kreider, because technically he was), who will only get better.

Alain Vigneault: A-
He is a great coach. He played Glass and John Moore way too much. But they were a 4th liner, and 3rd pair defenseman, and didn't hurt the team all that much. Marty did hurt the team down the stretch, though. I don't buy "he can't make adjustments," or system failures, though. I find those criticisms laughable.

Scott Arniel/Power Play: D+
Had some good moments, but I want him gone. There was too much talent on this team for the amount of stretches where the PP looked lost.

Ulf Samuelsson/Penalty Kill: B
It was solid.

Benoit Allaire/Goaltending Coaching: A+
He helped Henrik become the greatest goaltender of his generation, and molded Cam Bah God Talbot into a taller clone as an encore.

Zamboner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 02:01 AM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

vCash: 50
Dan Girardi - F
He just sucks. He's not a good hockey player, and I don't want him on my roster for 5.5 mill, let alone on the top pair. Hopefully trading him is at least a consideration this offseason.

Kevin Klein - D
Good for him, he had three months of being not a bottom pair defenseman. Unfortunately, he's still a bottom pair defenseman. An expensive one at that.

JT Miller - B
Made a lot of good strides in his game, really love his skillset. Needs more refining and consistency, but has had a good developmental year.

Kevin Hayes - B+
His playoffs left a very sour taste in my mouth, and he is a partial reason we got the exit we did. But his rookie year was terrific and I expect great things from him.

Tanner Glass - F
Sucks completely.

Derick Brassard - A+
Couldn't ask any more of him. Excellent regular season followed up with a great playoffs. Really stepped up to the occasion.

Marc Staal - C-
Started terrible, great through the rest of the regular season, terrible playoffs. I want to know how long that ankle injury has been there though, that would change my grade probably.

Jesper Fast - B+
Love his skillset and love what a trusted player he's become only a year into his NHL career. See a very good middle 6 player in him.

Chris Kreider - B-
Not thrilled with how he played in the Lightning series at all. Good regular season but I expected more.

Derek Stepan - B+
Best playoffs of his career and had an okay regular season by his standards. I expect better next year.

Dan Boyle - A
Our most consistent defenseman and an unsung hero on the team.

Martin St. Louis - D-
Great first quarter of the year, the rest I have to go through surgery to get out of my memory forever.

Ryan McDonagh - C
We will not win anything ever with this version of Ryan McDonagh. Enough said.

Dominic Moore - A+
Total stud that does everything.

Mats Zuccarello - A
Quietly great season and his impact was very obvious in the Washington and Tampa series.

Matt Hunwick - B+
Played a lot better than I expected. He's an every day defenseman, deserves a chance elsewhere.

James Sheppard - C
Not enough to make a concrete judgement, misused from the day he got here, oh AV.

Rick Nash - B+
I really didn't like Nash in the Washington series but I've no complaints otherwise.

Carl Hagelin - B-
Good regular season but completely disappeared against Washington and Tampa. Very disappointed in him.

Keith Yandle - B
If the Washington series can just never happen again, he's been terrific. But it did happen, so.

Henrik Lundqvist - A
Another great season from Hank. Disappointed with his series against Tampa.

Cam Talbot - A+
Instead of going into complete freefall, Talbot propelled us to the PT with absolutely no safety net. He was a gift from the angels this season. No other way to describe it.

Glen Sather/Roster - B-
Boyle, Sheppard, Yandle were all good moves. Glass is indefensible. This defense absolutely needs to be fixed. Not re-signing Stralman was criminal.

Alain Vigneault - B-
I thought he's been fine, I have some strong complaints, but they aren't many. He's clearly changed his system to alter his new players, hate the shelling, hate the terrible 2nd periods, hated how he didn't adjust against Tampa in gms 5 and 7, hate his obsession with Glass, not many more solid complaints.

Scott Arniel/Power Play - C-
Terribly inconsistent, I expect it to be much better when re-designed to flow through Yandle though.

Ulf Samuelsson/Penalty Kill - A
Excellent penalty kill throughout the RS. Got burned pretty bad on some amazing powerplay plays. No complaints.

Benoit Allaire/Goaltending Coaching - A
Good, I guess? lol

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 06:16 AM
bathgate

I will only comment on management:
Sather as GM of the year is a joke. Letting Stralman hit free agency was brutal.Boyle was mediocre at best. Trading for MSL was beyond tragic. Giving away first round draft choices WILL put this team in the lower half of the league within three years. Lundqvist, Girardi, Nash, and Boyle will slowly regress.The Yandle trade will also haunt this team. Giving away the equivalent of three first round choices, the actual draft choice, Duclair, Moore, and a second round choice will also hurt long term. Management is extremely fortunate to have Gordie Clark running the draft
Our coach baffles me. Putting MSL on each power play stunned me. Giving up a a five on three short handed goal turned the series.The team has had a great run. However, it has generally been proven that deadline trades do not put a team over the top. Our two deadline trades the past two years will dearly cost this franchise in years to come

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 07:04 AM
charliemurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
I will only comment on management:
Sather as GM of the year is a joke. Letting Stralman hit free agency was brutal.Boyle was mediocre at best. Trading for MSL was beyond tragic. Giving away first round draft choices WILL put this team in the lower half of the league within three years. Lundqvist, Girardi, Nash, and Boyle will slowly regress.The Yandle trade will also haunt this team. Giving away the equivalent of three first round choices, the actual draft choice, Duclair, Moore, and a second round choice will also hurt long term. Management is extremely fortunate to have Gordie Clark running the draft
Our coach baffles me. Putting MSL on each power play stunned me. Giving up a a five on three short handed goal turned the series.The team has had a great run. However, it has generally been proven that deadline trades do not put a team over the top. Our two deadline trades the past two years will dearly cost this franchise in years to come
Well, that sums it up. Couldn't agree more.

charliemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 10:08 AM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

I will grade them based on expectations and role rather than just assigning the best players A's.

Dan Girardi - C
Kevin Klein - B-
JT Miller - B
Kevin Hayes - B+
Tanner Glass - D
Derick Brassard - A
Marc Staal - C-
Jesper Fast - A -
Chris Kreider - B
Derek Stepan - B
Dan Boyle - C
Martin St. Louis - F
Ryan McDonagh - D
Dominic Moore - A-
Mats Zuccarello - B+
Matt Hunwick - A
James Sheppard - incomplete
Rick Nash - A-
Carl Hagelin - B
Keith Yandle - A-

Henrik Lundqvist A-
Cam Talbot A+

Glen Sather/Roster B
Alain Vigneault B
Scott Arniel/Power Play F
Ulf Samuelsson/Penalty Kill B-
Benoit Allaire/Goaltending A Coaching B-

Fire Arniel and try to poach the Coyotes PP guy.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 10:10 AM
NYR68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Kevin Klein D: Good regular season; **** the bed the playoffs for the second year in a row.
JT Miller B: Made huge strides in the playoffs. Not a good shooter, but compliments top talent well
Kevin Hayes A-: Underwhelming in the playoffs but he needs to learn. Top 6 talent.
Tanner Glass C: Eh he's Tanner Glass, what do you want?
Derick Brassard A+: No explanation needed
Marc Staal F: I've been over this, I don't feel like doing it again.
Jesper Fast A: Another guy like Miller who is a great "digger" for offensive talent. Brilliant defensively.
Chris Kreider A-: Huge strides in his overall game. Can't be relied on as much as he is for goals, and that's not his fault.
Derek Stepan B-: Brutal regular season by his standards, was solid in the playoffs.
Dan Boyle A+: Our best defenseman all year. Again, I've been over this.
Martin St. Louis F: Retire.
Ryan McDonagh Won't grade him, I think he was injured.
Dominic Moore A: Best 4C in the league
Mats Zuccarello A: Huge possession driver and playmaker. He was missed.
Matt Hunwick A: Extremely solid. I'd give him a crack at starting next year.
James Sheppard B: I like his game
Rick Nash A+: Regular season MVP, did all he could in the playoffs.
Carl Hagelin B-: Awesome possession driver, maddening inability to shoot.
Keith Yandle A: Best PMD we've had since Leetch.

Henrik Lundqvist A+: He's Hank
Cam Talbot A+: He played like Hank

Glen Sather/Roster A-: Great team, but two glaring holes killed us.
Alain Vigneault A: Did everything he could with the personnel he had
Scott Arniel/Power Play B: Inconsistent at times, not lethal, but solid. People expect too much out of it.
Ulf Samuelsson/Penalty Kill D: Missed assignments everywhere in the playoffs, and that shouldn't happen.
Benoit Allaire/Goaltending Coaching A: Did great with Talbot.
Miller is a good shooter. He's got a very good shot. He's just not a natural born sniper. But his snap shot is one of the better one's on the team IMO.

NYR68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 10:19 AM
100Gs
Warrior bruh

Don't understand the Dan Girardi hate. He's not the best defenseman around and I am not his biggest fan, but he was a +5 and playing against the top players. Only keith yandle had a higher +/- for dman but look at his usage/competition.

Marc Staal was an absolute abomination on skates, as was Klein. I just didn't see that with Girardi. He did his job, very limited turnovers compared to other Dman and cant remember him getting beat on a 1v1 play like Staal and McDonagh had...

Seriously, people call this dude a beer leaguer and an ECHL dman...ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If you could point me to your previous post, I would like to see your explanation.

100Gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 10:28 AM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Please grade and comment on the performance of players and coaches for the regular season and the playoffs. Use an A-F system.

Dan Girardi
Kevin Klein
JT Miller
Kevin Hayes
Tanner Glass
Derick Brassard
Marc Staal
Jesper Fast
Chris Kreider
Derek Stepan
Dan Boyle
Martin St. Louis
Ryan McDonagh
Dominic Moore
Mats Zuccarello
Matt Hunwick
James Sheppard
Rick Nash
Carl Hagelin
Keith Yandle

Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Talbot

Glen Sather/Roster
Alain Vigneault
Scott Arniel/Power Play
F-

a

05-30-2015, 10:34 AM
HFBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner View Post
Glen Sather/Roster: B-
Girardi over Stralman was a huge blunder and the Rangers always seem a forward short. I believe this was the best Rangers roster he ever put together, and it was a roster with four rookies (I'm counting Kreider, because technically he was), who will only get better.
It wasn't Girardi over Stralman it was Boyle over Stralman.

That's way worse. Boyle's offense isn't good enough to forgive his no defense. And he's not far away from being St. Louis style washed up.

HFBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 10:35 AM
eyedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post

Dan Girardi
Kevin Klein
JT Miller
Kevin Hayes
Tanner Glass
Derick Brassard
Marc Staal
Jesper Fast
Chris Kreider
Derek Stepan
Dan Boyle
Martin St. Louis
Ryan McDonagh
Dominic Moore
Mats Zuccarello
Matt Hunwick
James Sheppard
Rick Nash
Carl Hagelin
Keith Yandle

Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Talbot

Glen Sather/Roster
Alain Vigneault
Scott Arniel/Power Play
Lundqvist gets an A

The rest of the team can take their heartless, gutless efforts in games 5 and 7 and go **** themselves. They were an embarrassment to professional hockey players. You have 60 minutes to play your hearts out to get to play for the Stanley Cup...and you put that lackluster ****** effort on the ice in Game 7. Really?!

eyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 10:53 AM
eco's bones

Lundqvist--A Hit the wall a bit in the Tampa series.
Talbot--A- Don't win the President's trophy without him.

McDonagh--B he's capable of better. I think he was banged up last night.
Girardi--B+ solid and dependable--gets the toughest match ups.
Staal--C+ did not have a great playoffs. That dropped his grade.
Boyle--C+ actually had a pretty good playoffs which raised his grade.
Klein--B- was doing great until Ovie broke his arm. Not the same player after. Struggled in both playoff series he played.
Yandle--B- struggled to adopt to the Rangers system. Against Tampa though he was really good.
Hunwick--B good 7th D. Filled in competently when called upon.

Nash--C+ a very, very good regular season. A very very average playoffs. We needed more.
Brassard--A a very good regular season. Our best forward in the playoffs. Our most consistent forward all year.
Stepan--B he had his clutch moments but he's capable of doing more as well.
St. Louis--D personally I think he's at the end of the line. Halfway through the season he just ran out of gas. In the playoffs he was useless. Weakest player on the puck.
Kreider-B needs to be more consistent. Still improving and still more upside.
Zuccarello--C+ not the greatest regular season and then he got hurt. Losing him for the playoffs really hurt. I wish Nash had half of his gumption.
Hayes--A great rookie season.
Hagelin-C+ does a lot of dirty work. After the Pittsburgh series his offense just dried up. His grade takes a hit for that.
Miller--B- some good signs. Like Kreider he needs more consistency but still has room to grow.
Moore--C+ good regular season--struggled against Tampa.
Fast--B some good signs from him as well. Don't see him as a top 6 winger but he could be a very good 3rd/4th liner.
Sheppard--C+ competent 4th liner.
Glass--C ended the season fairly well and played well for the most part in the playoffs. First part of the season he sucked but wasn't really that detrimental--we won the regular season.

Sather--B+ liked the Yandle deal. Most of his moves did improve the team.
Vigneault--A
Arniel--C
Samuelsson--B+
Allaire--A+

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 10:57 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Gs View Post
Don't understand the Dan Girardi hate. He's not the best defenseman around and I am not his biggest fan, but he was a +5 and playing against the top players. Only keith yandle had a higher +/- for dman but look at his usage/competition.

Marc Staal was an absolute abomination on skates, as was Klein. I just didn't see that with Girardi. He did his job, very limited turnovers compared to other Dman and cant remember him getting beat on a 1v1 play like Staal and McDonagh had...

If you could point me to your previous post, I would like to see your explanation.
Good post. Girardi is a model of consistency. I wish some of our bigger names were.

Old
05-30-2015, 11:06 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Dan Girardi - C He's a battler and a warrior, yes, but, his handling of the puck gets worse every year. In this system, you cannot justify him 1) getting top-pairing minutes or 2) getting $5.5 million per. The mistake of keeping Girardi/losing Stralman is going to loom large unless it gets rectified.
Kevin Klein - B Great start, but, water always finds its stabilization mark. Too many brutal TOs and reads in his return. Ideally, Girardi gets moved and Klein becomes a placeholder. More likelym Klein gets dealt
JT Miller - B- Still a little immature, but, the kid has a lot going for him. Sees the ice well, strong with puck, but, still quite a few lapses. Important layer going forward, especially while he's making minimal money.
Kevin Hayes - B+ Great first regular season, but, he seemed to shrink as the stakes got higher. Still, his size and skill, (in addition to Kreider and Miller), is key to how this team is being structured going forward.
Tanner Glass - D Yes, he was better in the playoffs. However, there is still no justification for his presence in the lineup.
Derick Brassard - A I have long been a fan of Brassard, but, frankly, I wasn't sure he'd reach this level as a player. Even going into this season, I wasn't sure if any elevation in his stats would be due to playing with Zucc, who still has his arrow pointing upward. Now, BrassGod, make it stick...give me 20 and 45 next year.
Marc Staal - C It is sad to see the decline in Staal when there was a point where he looked like he was on his way to becoming one of the elite shutdown D-men in the league. His offensive game has completely deteriorated.
Jesper Fast - B- Jesper nicely proved me wrong. I believed he was an NHL player, but, I wasn't sure where he fit on this team. As dependable a forward defensively as there is on this team, and he hits pretty hard. Perfect fit as the 3rd line RW/top 4 PKer.
Chris Kreider - B It's hard to fathom the he just completed only his second full NHL season. When Kreider plays well, the Ranger win. It's a s simple as that. He still has the potential for a lot of growth in his game, but, he really needs to shake off the remaining immaturity. Someone needs to remind him that very players can handle him physically when he's engaged in the game. So, while he continues to make strides, I feel a slight disappointment that he isn't quite where I'd hoped he'd be at this point. He gets there some nights, others not so much. Still, a vital player in the fortunes of this team.
Derek Stepan - B+ He, too continues to get better, but, there is still more there. The best all around center on the team, he's a legit #1, just not an elite one.
Dan Boyle - B- So underrated by Ranger fans. Injuries more than anything curtailed his season. By the end of playoffs, only Yandle was playing as well as Boyle.
Martin St. Louis - D+ Marty, thanks for your leadership, and some of the memorable goals you scored a year ago, but, Father Time is here. Yes, it would have been nice for to walk off with a Ring on your wait out. Oh, well...
Ryan McDonagh - C+ Tough grade, but, McD set a standard he didn't live up to...I want him healthy, because, a healthy McD is an elite D-man in this league. This year's McD wasn't.
Dominic Moore - B+ Dom has become so dependable. He was shaky to start the year, (carrying the millstone that is Tanner Glass can do that), but, his importance to this team cannot be overstated.
Mats Zuccarello - B+ Speaking of "importance to this team cannot be overstated", I guess we found that out, didn't we? Zucc was shaky in the beginning of the year, but, once his contract situation was settled, he was excellent.
Matt Hunwick - B Hunwick had a solid year as a supersub. I'd like to see him brought back if the Rangers decide to move one of Staal or Girardi.
James Sheppard - Inc I liked what I saw from Sheppard, and he has a lot of qualities that benefits this team. He just never seemed to gain the confidence of AV.
Rick Nash - A- Great regular season. But, his postseason, which was leaps and bounds better than last year, still leaves you wanting more. I don't see him getting moved, much to the dismay of his detractors...42 goals are a lot to try and replace.
Carl Hagelin - C+ Hagelin had a solid year, but, he leaves so much to be desired offensively. Sometimes he seems to have no concept of what he's going to do with the puck.
Keith Yandle - C+ So-so start, but, I think we got glimpses of what he is capable of. In a system predicated on a strong transition, Yandle's skills are vital.

Henrik Lundqvist - B+ For Henke's standards a quality year, but not his best.
Cam Talbot - A- The Rangers are not the PT without Cam's effort when Henke went down. Thanks, Cam, now bring us back something of value.

Glen Sather/Roster - B- Highlights - Hayes and Yandle. Biggest mistake - keeping Girardi over Stralman, overpaying for MSL,
Alain Vigneault - A- AV has made this one of the elite teams in the league. He has his blindspots, but he needs to finish the job.
Scott Arniel/Power Play - C+ No reason a team with as much offensive ability should be so inconsistent on the PP.
Ulf Samuelsson/Penalty Kill - A- One of the continued strengths of this team.
Benoit Allaire/Goaltending Coaching - A His work with Talbot speaks for itself.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 11:19 AM
rangers91

Mcdonaugh: B
Girardi:B-
Staal: B
Klein: A-
Yandle: B-
Boyle:B-
Hunwick:A-

Brassard: A-
Stepan:B-
Nash:A-
Hagelin:B+
Kreider: B-
Zuccarello:B+
St.Louis: C-
Hayes: A
Moore: A-
Glass: C ( he is what he is)
Sheppard: B-
Fast:B
Miller: B+

Lundqvist: A-
Talbot: A+

rangers91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 11:55 AM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Gs View Post

Staal had a broken ankle apparently so it's hard to objectively judge him without knowing timetables and such. Klein was garbage.

DMPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 12:03 PM
Holocene

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMPD View Post
Staal had a broken ankle apparently so it's hard to objectively judge him without knowing timetables and such. Klein was garbage.
Oh wow really? I didn't bother staying here long last night were there any other serious injuries reported?

Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2015, 04:47 PM
eco's bones

FWIW if it turns out true that Staal was playing with a broken ankle his grade goes up to at least a B. It wouldn't surprise me. He was uncharacteristically bad in this last series. The ankle thing makes some sense of all that now.