HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barry Trotz's tenure as Caps coach (RS: Healthy; Playoff: 2nd Round Exititis)

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2014, 10:43 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
you can make a case that the fundamental trotz game is working and that better goaltending and better finishing rate wil create the results desired. maybe patience is the key.

the numbers say the goaltending is coming around. they need to close their chances better and need to draw more penalties. 1 pp per game isn't good and is a sign of another problem
The fact that they're pretty close in both goals for and shots for (rank) makes me think that they're not going to get markedly better finishing consistently. They definitely need to draw more penalties and that should improve the offense a bit, but I think what we've had over the first quarter of the season is pretty much what we're going to get. I don't see much help on the way offensively barring a trade, and I don't really have a problem with that.

Old
11-24-2014, 10:48 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
The fact that they're pretty close in both goals for and shots for (rank) makes me think that they're not going to get markedly better finishing consistently. They definitely need to draw more penalties and that should improve the offense a bit, but I think what we've had over the first quarter of the season is pretty much what we're going to get. I don't see much help on the way offensively barring a trade, and I don't really have a problem with that.
Have the possession #s tailed off after the first ten games? The advanced stat n00b assumes that possession is correlated with PP opportunities.

Though frankly, I'm glad the PP rut is showing our warts. Relying on the PP in the postseason is not a strategy for success as we've seen our vaunted PP sputter repeatedly when it counts.

Old
11-24-2014, 10:57 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Have the possession #s tailed off after the first ten games? The advanced stat n00b assumes that possession is correlated with PP opportunities.

Though frankly, I'm glad the PP rut is showing our warts. Relying on the PP in the postseason is not a strategy for success as we've seen our vaunted PP sputter repeatedly when it counts.
7th in raw Corsi, 8th in %. 10th in both at 5v5. Caps are getting around 52%, which is down around 2.5% IIRC.

Old
11-24-2014, 11:22 AM
txpd

so..what do you address? its primary 5 on 5 scoring they need. trade Johansson for an upgrade? trade for a center to play with Johansson and send Bura to the AHL? trade for a scoring rw and remove or demote Wilson or Brouwer?

move Kuz up to replace any of those mentioned above?

Old
11-24-2014, 11:31 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
so..what do you address? its primary 5 on 5 scoring they need. trade Johansson for an upgrade? trade for a center to play with Johansson and send Bura to the AHL? trade for a scoring rw and remove or demote Wilson or Brouwer?

First things first, extend Green.

Old
11-24-2014, 01:17 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:

I think you start looking at who you can move out and who you can move up, yes. If you're getting at least average to good goaltending and play from your defensemen (which is what we spent a ******** of money on) then you should in theory be able to take more chances with your forward construction.

That was the entire premise behind my complaints post-MTL that you had to build from the goal outward and let the forwards be FORWARDS, not extra defensemen or goaltenders.

More skill on the top line, more snarl on the 2nd line. Try Kuz up top and Wilson on the 2nd. I know you like Brouwer but he isn't really driving play or creating space for the skill guys. And if we want Ovechkin and Kuz both to get going for more scoring then let's turn them loose. If the situation demands it, flip Kuz and Wilson.

Old
11-24-2014, 01:32 PM
txpd

yes..lets extend green. however on subject.

if we need more scoring from the 3rd player on the 1st line Wilson isn't the guy. My view is that Wilson creates both space and confidence for 8 and 19 but the scoring hasn't born that out.

Wilson and Bura on the same line is just too inexperience. if a trade of Brouwer could land an experienced center, lets say Vermette for the purpose of this conversation, then Johansson and Kuz as wingers or Johansson and Wilson might work.

I think that landing either an impact scoring winger or a veteran 2nd line center is really hard to do in season. getting both next to impossible. particularly if you are not going to get a pending ufa rental for futures.

Old
11-24-2014, 01:38 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
yes..lets extend green. however on subject.

if we need more scoring from the 3rd player on the 1st line Wilson isn't the guy. My view is that Wilson creates both space and confidence for 8 and 19 but the scoring hasn't born that out.

Wilson and Bura on the same line is just too inexperience. if a trade of Brouwer could land an experienced center, lets say Vermette for the purpose of this conversation, then Johansson and Kuz as wingers or Johansson and Wilson might work.

I think that landing either an impact scoring winger or a veteran 2nd line center is really hard to do in season. getting both next to impossible. particularly if you are not going to get a pending ufa rental for futures.

Too inexperienced for what? To not score? People were ragging on Wilson last year saying he didn't even belong in the NHL, even this year. Now he may be the best player on the top line. How do we know until we try?

We're playing with some defensive competence chips here. This team needs creativity and energy up front if it's going to score with the top 2 lines. Time to take some chances. What have they got to lose? Finish lower in the pack and not make the playoffs again? They're not going to fire Trotz. Yet.

Old
11-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Wilson is the best player on the first line?

Old
11-24-2014, 01:57 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
Wilson is the best player on the first line?
Overall talent-wise? Of course not. But in terms of nightly performance in many of these recent games, yes. I don't think many who were watching that line before and after would argue against that. I think some of the CSN personalities have made similar remarks.

Old
11-24-2014, 02:00 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ck-up-for-him/

Quote:
“Tom Wilson was our best player,” Trotz said. “He was sticking up for teammates, he was getting in on people, he was getting people off their game.”

This wasn’t the first time Trotz used his postgame news conference as a pulpit to call for change. After Washington lost to Arizona, Trotz issued a demand for his team’s “behavior” to improve, which it seemingly did, because those pleas stopped. Now, after a night when Wilson skated 19 shifts, spent seven minutes inside the penalty box and was on the ice for two Blues goals, Trotz called for his players to become more like Wilson.

“I need more people to help Tom Wilson instead of him sticking up for everybody else,” Trotz said. “They started coming after for him, and I need more of our guys to stick up for him.”
Go back and look at the GDTs. Wilson was causing chaos and creating turnovers/chances.

Old
11-24-2014, 02:35 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Too inexperienced for what? To not score? People were ragging on Wilson last year saying he didn't even belong in the NHL, even this year. Now he may be the best player on the top line. How do we know until we try?
Look, I am just analyzing what Trotz is doing. He seems comfortable with Wilson and his lack of games above what little he played on the 4th line last season playing with the experienced Ov and Backstrom. He benched Wilson for Brouwer late in the last win.

So, for that reason I don't see him being comfortable with Burakovsky and Wilson on the same line.

I think Wilson is great and I would leave him on a the top line. it as been 8 games since he has had a point. Maybe he is doing his job and would have a better stat sheet if 8 were scoring more to his norms, but it might be that Wilson just isn't ready for that responsibility and the lack of scoring from that line is an indication of that

Old
11-24-2014, 02:51 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Speaking of what Trotz is doing...

http://dumpnchase.monumentalnetwork....ime-with-coach

Quote:
He tells us what’s working, what’s not working, what [the opposition] is going to try to do, what we’re doing well, what to continue with, all that sort of stuff. As a player, it’s very easy to play for this staff. Everything is laid out for you and your job is just to execute.

Old
11-24-2014, 02:55 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Exactly what you want a good coach to do.

This is why I keep saying if Trotz can't turn around his core to consistently to play a solid hockey game, then I don't think there is another coach who can change that. Its do or die for this core.

Old
11-24-2014, 03:00 PM
txpd

Laich or Brouwer talking.

Old
11-24-2014, 03:02 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Laich or Brouwer talking.
If you read the article, you'll get quotes from both!

Old
11-24-2014, 04:33 PM
txpd

yes. I knew that

Old
11-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Capitals currently sitting at 47.3% odds of reaching the playoffs.
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

Old
11-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Mickstix

I think the writing is on the wall.. Trotz is an old dog and not willing to learn/try any new tricks.. He's probably got the most talent/skill he's ever seen but has no idea how to implement it.. In 2 years we'll probably see the likes of Ovie, Mojo, Bura and Kuzy gone while Brouwer, Laich, Chimera are still here with another group of like players..

Old
11-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

You're aware Trotz has coached Paul Kariya and Peter Forsberg, right?

Old
11-27-2014, 01:47 PM
txpd

what writing is on the wall?

Old
11-27-2014, 04:57 PM
SChan*

now when trotz is going to routinely bench his prospects, can we have bura for wjc?

Old
11-27-2014, 04:58 PM
SChan*

Quote:
You're aware Trotz has coached Paul Kariya and Peter Forsberg, right?
so that makes him a good coach or something? trotz has only been to the 2nd round once in 20 years of coaching.

Old
11-27-2014, 05:05 PM
txpd

how many of those teams were disappointments? teams that were considered legit cup contenders? teams that were upset like say....the capitals? how many were considered more than bubble playoff teams at best?

Old
11-27-2014, 05:33 PM
SChan*

Quote:
how many of those teams were disappointments? teams that were considered legit cup contenders? teams that were upset like say....the capitals? how many were considered more than bubble playoff teams at best?
contrary to belief, some nashville teams had strong regular seasons followed up by craptastic playoffs. And preds has always got solid dmen and good goalies. Trotz hasnt exactly coached the sabres either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...dators_seasons

five times, the predators had over 100 points in the regular season.

Closed Thread