HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup of Soccer and General Soccer Talk

Old
05-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

vCash: 466
World Cup of Soccer and General Soccer Talk

Let's see how this thread goes seeing there is plenty of interest to talk about soccer on this board.
The World Cup starts on June 12 and ends on July 13th.
Discuss this anything else related to soccer here as well.

Go Team USA but pretty much everyone is not expecting them to go far even if Landon Donavan wasn't snubbed.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:16 PM
doaner

vCash: 500
This is a sport? Hahaha

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
This is a sport? Hahaha
Considering it's the most popular sport in the world, yes! And thank you for making such a great contribution.

Old
05-26-2014, 11:39 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45Blast View Post
Considering it's the most popular sport in the world, yes! And thank you for making such a great contribution.
You're most welcome! I do it cuz you always get your panties in a wad over something so small. Just learn to relax a bit bro!

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 11:43 PM
SweYote

My Group Stage Predictions:

Quote:

1. Brazil
2. Mexico
----------------
3. Croatia
4. Cameroon

1. Netherlands
2. Spain
----------------
3. Chile
4. Australia

1. Ivory Coast
2. Colombia
----------------
3. Japan
4. Greece

1. England
2. Uruguay
----------------
3. Italy
4. Costa Rica

1. France
2. Switzerland
----------------
3. Honduras
4. Ecuador

1. Argentina
2. Nigeria
----------------
3. Bosnia and Herzegovina
4. Iran

1. Germany
2. USA
----------------
3. Portugal
4. Ghana

1. Belgium
2. Russia
----------------
3. South Korea
4. Algeria

Last edited by SweYote: 05-27-2014 at 12:21 AM.
SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Desert Ice 11

vCash: 450

Desert Ice 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 11:56 PM
DesertDawg

How can it be a sport when they run around in their underwear chasing a ball?

DesertDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 12:15 AM
moosemeister

Rooting for my homeland of Japan, as usual. Haven't seen them get out of the first round since they've co-hosted with Korea.

Hopefully Pikachu is on our side!

moosemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 12:18 AM
0point1
F Coyotes, Go Vegas

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
How can it be a sport when they run around in their underwear chasing a ball?
This line has a lot of joke potential.

Back on topic, I am glad Wondo made it to the US team. Good guy.

0point1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 12:25 AM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

I don't know much about soccer at all as far as the players go. The only USA player I know of is Sean Donovan. He got snubbed. That can't be good.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 12:40 AM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vip View Post
I don't know much about soccer at all as far as the players go. The only USA player I know of is Sean Donovan. He got snubbed. That can't be good.
Even to this day I'm always finding something new to learn about in this game, even on the little things and the terminology. A soccer field is called a pitch. Offsides in soccer is determined more not based on a line(like in hockey) rather if one or more of your players is beyond the last defender of the opponent in attack at the time the ball is moved in forward motion for a pass or a shot on goal I believe.

Old
05-27-2014, 12:53 AM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

I really like the idea of offsides in soccer. I believe a offense player cannot pass the last defense player until the ball has passed that player. It's a really neat concept. Imagine that in hockey. No more breakaways hardly. Breakaways would be purely based on the players speed and getting around that defender.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 01:00 AM
SweYote

Quote:
Offsides in soccer is determined more not based on a line(like in hockey) rather if one or more of your players is beyond the last defender of the opponent in attack at the time the ball is moved in forward motion for a pass or a shot on goal I believe.
Great explanation and practically correct. However technically (get ready for some offside trivia not even every soccer player knows...) a player that is not past the last defender can be offside if the goalkeeper has moved beyond the last defender and the attacker which then would mean the goalkeeper becomes the point where the offside line would be drawn from. This is because the rulebook doesn't differentiate between goalkeepers and defenders for the offside rule.

Here's a video of that rare case:

Oh, and also you can't be offside on your own side of the field.

Last edited by SweYote: 05-27-2014 at 01:07 AM.
SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 01:26 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Even to this day I'm always finding something new to learn about in this game, even on the little things and the terminology. A soccer field is called a pitch. Offsides in soccer is determined more not based on a line(like in hockey) rather if one or more of your players is beyond the last defender of the opponent in attack at the time the ball is moved in forward motion for a pass or a shot on goal I believe.
Did you know you can't use your hands in soccer?

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 01:42 AM
0point1
F Coyotes, Go Vegas

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Did you know you can't use your hands in soccer?
Damn... when did that start?

0point1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 06:09 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vip View Post
His name is Landon Donovan and no, he didn't get snubbed. He quit on the US Soccer program for awhile. Literally quit. Then he expected the staff to not hold this against him, or for his teammates to not resent him. They do and he wasn't brought for a reason.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 11:23 AM
BUX7PHX

Group D has been thrown into some level of chaos with the injury to Suarez. And England may have a tougher time getting out of that group if Suarez is indeed healthy. England always seems to play down a little bit relative to talent level, so I'd go with Uruguay and Italy there.

Group C is interesting, as I feel like these teams are the most evenly matched top-to-bottom. I could see Greece playing lights out defensively and sneaking past the group stage.

Group F - Bosnia is a dangerous team that few people know about. A lot of skill there. Argentina is good, but I am not convinced that Nigeria is strong enough.

I simply can't see the U.S. getting out of the group stage. Too many quality teams in their group. Ghana is an incredible team. Two of the top 4 teams that don't make it past the group stages will be from Group G (Chile in Group B and England in Group D are the 2 remaining best teams to not make it to the knockout rounds)

Group A
1. Brazil
2. Mexico
3. Croatia
4. Cameroon

Group B
1. Spain
2. Netherlands
3. Chile
4. Australia

Group C
1. Colombia
2. Greece
3. Cote d'Ivoire
4. Japan

Group D
1. Italy
2. Uruguay
3. England
4. Costa Rica

Group E - another real interesting group, with no true "favorite"
1. France
2. Ecuador
3. Switzerland
4. Honduras

Group F
1. Argentina
2. Bosnia/Herzegovina
3. Nigeria
4. Iran

Group G
1. Portugal
2. Germany
3. Ghana
4. U.S.A.

Group H
1. Belgium
2. Russia
3. Algeria
4. South Korea

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Karlkarotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Group D has been thrown into some level of chaos with the injury to Suarez. And England may have a tougher time getting out of that group if Suarez is indeed healthy. England always seems to play down a little bit relative to talent level, so I'd go with Uruguay and Italy there.

Group C is interesting, as I feel like these teams are the most evenly matched top-to-bottom. I could see Greece playing lights out defensively and sneaking past the group stage.

Group F - Bosnia is a dangerous team that few people know about. A lot of skill there. Argentina is good, but I am not convinced that Nigeria is strong enough.

I simply can't see the U.S. getting out of the group stage. Too many quality teams in their group. Ghana is an incredible team. Two of the top 4 teams that don't make it past the group stages will be from Group G (Chile in Group B and England in Group D are the 2 remaining best teams to not make it to the knockout rounds)

Group A
1. Brazil
2. Mexico
3. Croatia
4. Cameroon

Group B
1. Spain
2. Netherlands
3. Chile
4. Australia

Group C
1. Colombia
2. Greece
3. Cote d'Ivoire
4. Japan

Group D
1. Italy
2. Uruguay
3. England
4. Costa Rica

Group E - another real interesting group, with no true "favorite"
1. France
2. Ecuador
3. Switzerland
4. Honduras

Group F
1. Argentina
2. Bosnia/Herzegovina
3. Nigeria
4. Iran

Group G
1. Portugal
2. Germany
3. Ghana
4. U.S.A.

Group H
1. Belgium
2. Russia
3. Algeria
4. South Korea
I think Switzerland and France are pretty much locks. Switzerland will be surprisingly good I bet for most people. They won the junior World Cup in Nigeria 4 years ago and a lot of those guys are on the big team now.

Karlkarotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 01:02 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlkarotte View Post
I think Switzerland and France are pretty much locks. Switzerland will be surprisingly good I bet for most people. They won the junior World Cup in Nigeria 4 years ago and a lot of those guys are on the big team now.
Agreed, but the U-20 World Cup still means that a lot of those players are between 20 and 24 right now. Good that the Swiss won, but that doesn't necessarily translate out to winning their group, even if the youth is getting more time.

I could easily see the Swiss drawing in each of their matches. In that case, all it takes is for France and Ecuador both to beat Honduras, and the Swiss are out of it. As good as the Swiss are at defending, they have to be very successful on the counter-attack. With the exception of France, the other sides have quite a high level of speed in their game, which could off-set any counters. A little different from Group C - Greece is the defensive side, but their opponents do not have quite as much speed (save for maybe Colombia).

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Primrose Everdeen
My Next Mistake

vCash: 564
Send a message via Skype™ to Primrose Everdeen
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
Great explanation and practically correct. However technically (get ready for some offside trivia not even every soccer player knows...) a player that is not past the last defender can be offside if the goalkeeper has moved beyond the last defender and the attacker which then would mean the goalkeeper becomes the point where the offside line would be drawn from. This is because the rulebook doesn't differentiate between goalkeepers and defenders for the offside rule.

It's also measured from the time the ball was kicked (i.e. the pass was made). And, you can be in an offside position but not actually be guilty of offside if you're not interfering with the play. One can argue if you're not interfering with the play, what the hell are you doing on the field, but this covers cases like Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria, where an attacking player shot the ball, it was saved by the keeper, and Landon Donovan sprinted in and smashed the rebound into the back of the net. His teammate was in front of the ball and past all defenders, but he wasn't "interfering with the play" so wasn't offside.

05-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Desert Ice 11

vCash: 450
Soccer is barely above golf and right below NASCAR on the watch list...Sorry but its boring. Can't even watch the highlights without a yawn..plus all the highlights look the same. Just different jerseys.

Desert Ice 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 06:33 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Ice 11 View Post
Soccer is barely above golf and right below NASCAR on the watch list...Sorry but its boring. Can't even watch the highlights without a yawn..plus all the highlights look the same. Just different jerseys.
Good soccer isn't boring at all.

And the different jerseys comment is just silly. You could say the same for hockey.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose Everdeen View Post
It's also measured from the time the ball was kicked (i.e. the pass was made). And, you can be in an offside position but not actually be guilty of offside if you're not interfering with the play. One can argue if you're not interfering with the play, what the hell are you doing on the field, but this covers cases like Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria, where an attacking player shot the ball, it was saved by the keeper, and Landon Donovan sprinted in and smashed the rebound into the back of the net. His teammate was in front of the ball and past all defenders, but he wasn't "interfering with the play" so wasn't offside.
My god, offsides in soccer in more complex than I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Ice 11 View Post
Soccer is definitely 1 of those sports that's really more subjective to the individual than other sports as far as watching or playing is concerned. Sports like tennis, curling, and golf IMO are meant more for playing than watching. Soccer I enjoy more watching than playing though the common idea about soccer is just like hockey in that watching it in person is much better than on TV. I couldn't place soccer below Auto Racing. I tried getting into Auto Racing but I couldn't considering the negative stereotypes about the sport appear to be alive and well with little being down about it.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 05-27-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old
05-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

One of the greatest moments ever in Soccer. Manchester City vs QPR

a-g-u-e-r-o-o-o-o-o

Old
05-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Bondurant

I've been hit with football fever. I finished a Panini album and working on a second. I've been attending sticker swaps at a Colombian restaurant in Mesa. Finished the online album as well. My group predictions:

Group A
1. Brazil
2. Croatia
3. Cameroon
4. Mexico

Group B
1. Chile
2. Netherlands
3. Spain
4. Australia

Group C
1. Colombia