HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Brooks read these boards?

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

vCash: 500
Does Brooks read these boards?

From Brooks..

Quote:
"Joe Thornton won't be available next summer, and neither will Vincent Lecavalier. Martin St. Louis and Marian Hossa are locked up, too. In other words, all that cap space the Rangers will have available for a franchise player in 2006 is looking more and more as if it will be nothing more than vast, empty air. Moreover, it is likely to remain that way in 2007 and 2008. Liberalized freedom in the NHL has essentially erased the distinction between restricted and unrestricted free agents. If a new paradigm has been established in this first capped off-season in league history, it's that teams will pay whatever is required to keep young, marquee talent off the open market. Which, among other reasons, is why the Rangers should immediately extend a six-year, maximum-contract offer sheet of $7.8 million per year to Atlanta's unsigned Ilya Kovalchuk, the 22-year-old left winger who, three seasons into his career, has emerged as the NHL's most dynamic goal scorer."
Stealing my ideas...that punk...

Old
08-31-2005, 01:56 PM
HAPPY HOUR

No. That was MY idea!!!I'm calling the patent offices as we speak.... Do you have Ilyas cell#, I want to extend that offer personally.

Old
08-31-2005, 02:08 PM
Fletch

Brooks is just looking for...

that one big ticket name as the Rangers always need that big ticket name. No sense in saving any cap space for possible other signings down the road, or perhaps other prospects who may need signing. And the $7.8 million number is probably the most laughable item of them all. Didn't Thornton sign for less than $7 million? Didn't Lecavalier sign for less than $7 million? Personally, I'd take both over Kovalchuk as I think both do more for their team than Ilya. So at 22 years old, Kovalchuk would be the highest paid player in the NHL.

Old
08-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Yizee*

I used to post on msgnetwork.com's forums and people there also said that Larry Brooks read the posts as well because his stories sometimes sounded exactly like some of our own opinions we posted days before.

Also, why is there someone on this board signing their posts as Barry Melrose? is that a joke or could that possibly be really Melrose from ESPN?

Old
08-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee
I used to post on msgnetwork.com's forums and people there also said that Larry Brooks read the posts as well because his stories sometimes sounded exactly like some of our own opinions we posted days before.

Also, why is there someone on this board signing their posts as Barry Melrose? is that a joke or could that possibly be really Melrose from ESPN?

Barry rules!

Old
08-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Nich

either way, it is a bad idea....not worth 5 - 1st round picks

Old
08-31-2005, 02:29 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
either way, it is a bad idea....not worth 5 - 1st round picks

Four 1st round picks.

Old
08-31-2005, 02:40 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
that one big ticket name as the Rangers always need that big ticket name. No sense in saving any cap space for possible other signings down the road, or perhaps other prospects who may need signing. And the $7.8 million number is probably the most laughable item of them all. Didn't Thornton sign for less than $7 million? Didn't Lecavalier sign for less than $7 million? Personally, I'd take both over Kovalchuk as I think both do more for their team than Ilya. So at 22 years old, Kovalchuk would be the highest paid player in the NHL.
Fletch, sorry I'm going over your head and signing him anyway!! P.s Nice Rotti!!I also agree that Lecavailier and Thornton have more total game,BUT this is not the draft where you take the best player. We have been So weak for SO long on the left side,and unless I'm missing someone, NO 1st line left wing prospect. Please don't say Nigel Dawes. I would like to say that ,though I would trade the 4 first rounders, I would NOT trade Tjutin, Jessiman, Montoya, and Staal to get him. My point has always been that you can REBUILD with those picks around Kovalchuk now. You shouldn't start the rebuild by trading those guys and building around Ilya with the first round picks that you would keep..

Old
08-31-2005, 02:46 PM
Edge

I think we should sticky a link to an online dictionary with the word "Rebuild" highlighted.

Old
08-31-2005, 02:52 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
either way, it is a bad idea....not worth 4 - 1st round picks
I disagree. What are the chances one of those picks will turn out to be even close to Kovalchuk's level? The guy is 22 years old, perfect age for a rebuilding team. I would give 4 first rounders for Ilya in a heartbeat.

Old
08-31-2005, 02:54 PM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
From Brooks..

Your idea!!!

Old
08-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Fletch

Let's put aside...

differences in the merits of a Kovalchuk signing - as we've gone through that - but the amount is silly, pure and simple. There is no reason why Kovalchuk should make more than Thornton or Lecavalier; and the reason that the Rangers are desparate is the one of the reasons the Rangers have sucked for so long - I know this is different as he is young...but it still doesn't mean the Rangers should keep overpaying.

Thanks for the rotti compliment...she'd like to hear that...

Old
08-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishman3579
Your idea!!!
Only a few days after I made the Kovalchuk: Food for Thought thread did this appear in his column.

Old
08-31-2005, 03:28 PM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Only a few days after I made the Kovalchuk: Food for Thought thread did this appear in his column.

You clearly stole the idea from me!! Hoo hoo, tell 'em Fred.

08-24-2005, 10:01 PM
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...45#post3354745

Old
08-31-2005, 03:38 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizee

I just saw the Barry Melrose posts the other day. Bob McKenzie (Hockey Night in Canada) definitely posts on these boards, so they could well be real.

I want JD to start posting so he can tell us what he really thinks!

Old
08-31-2005, 03:47 PM
SML

Trading picks always sounds like a good idea when the player is concrete and the picks abstract. I remember Brooks writing an article saying we HAD to sign Jeremy Roenick and pay the five first rounders because long term, it would be good for the franchise. Now would you trade Staal, Montoya, Jessiman, Blackburn and whoever the Rangers traded the pick to chose for Roenick today, knowing what he accomplished in those 5 seasons? Granted hindsight is 20/20, but you gotta stay away from moving high picks, especially ones a few seasons off. You never know who is going to be in the draft and you never know what place they will wind up picking. Kovalchuk is one of the great talents in the game without a doubt, but you cant put all your eggs in that basket. It is intriguing and makes you daydream about what could be, but I don't think it's a good idea, b/c if it doesnt work out, you bankrupt your franchise's talent pool for the next 10 years and the way this team operates, we cant afford to do it.

Old
08-31-2005, 03:53 PM
True Blue

Trading away 5 picks for anyone is a rather ludicrous amount. And the Rangers are not in any position to give away any amount of picks. As Edge is alluding to, this is a rebuild and, as such, requires as many draft picks as possible. I realize that this is Kovulchuk, but he is not worth 5 first rounders. The Rangers need every draft pick possible.

Old
08-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Nich

so we've learned nothing from going out and just buying talent since 97??? yes he is young, but 4 first round picks, when we are going to be out of the playoff the next 2-3? no thanks....let's do it right, not short cut it.

however, i would be willing to trade for him. it would cost us less that 4 picks.

Old
08-31-2005, 04:20 PM
Choice

Maybe we should start a new thread because this discussion has gotten off topic. I gotta make my point though. Just because you scrap everything and hoard draft picks and prospects doesn't guarantee you will have a contender in 5 years. You need that building block stud to be a top tier team. These types of franchise cornerstone players come along once every few years, and there don't seem to be many, if a single one, on the Rangers' depth chart. Its not like trading 4 draft picks for Roenick, or even Sakic who will be done by the time the majoirty of these kids are ready. 6 years down the line Kovalchuk will still be in his prime.

Old
08-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Lecavalier over Kovalchuk? Come on Fletch, you're better than that. Even Thornton is debatable.

Old
08-31-2005, 06:20 PM
Sather Hater

Signing Kovalchuck makes no sense during a rebuild. If Ilya comes to NY they still won't make the playoffs for a few years, and then his contract would be up, and they lost out on 4 first round draft picks. The team already has one superstar (Jagr, who is arguably the one of the best players in the NHL when he wants to be). Why lose 4 first round draft picks for one player who won't get this team into the playoffs anyway, it's a team game. The only player who has a chance of getting the Rangers into the playoffs is Lundqvist if he someone records 60 shutouts.

I would rather have 4 solid players over the next four years (that's 20% of your starting line-up).

Old
08-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

He posts here

Old
08-31-2005, 07:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
He posts here
So does Sather, it would appear.

Old
08-31-2005, 08:12 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
From Brooks..

You know what they say...Great minds think a like!

Old
08-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Fletch

I'll say it again, Balej...

I will take both Lecavalier and Thornton over Kovalchuk. I will take guys that do something other than come down the left wing than others. I view things others than flash as a value add. It's not contest to me. There is a reason why Atlanta didn't really compete for a playoff position despite his success - sure, blame everthing aside from Kovalchuk, but that's not a way to do things.

Closed Thread