HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Importance of Ignoring Distractions

Old
05-23-2014, 11:31 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
The Importance of Ignoring Distractions

To me this is the most important thing moving forward.

We've outplayed the Canadiens this whole series thus far, but the Habs (headed by Prust) are trying to make us our own worst enemy out of desperation. While I don't believe we lost game 3 because of his antics, I believe that the Habs win + other things Prust and co. may try and pull in the coming games could get some Rangers to take some stupid penalties if they're not focused on just winning. If the Rangers don't handle distractions right moving forward then it could cause trouble. We're a disciplined team and have been that way for years. Now isn't the time to lose that focus.

Personally I would suggest keeping Dorsett on a short leash if things get messy and benching Carcillo for Miller.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
I thought they absolutely handled all that nonsense well last night, other than Carcillo going a bit nuts. I don't think it will be a problem going forward.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Carcillo going nuts made AV have to juggle the lines and ruined the cohesion of the team. That's a big part of the Rangers identity rolling 4 lines. I think it had a snowball effect as far as losing. The game just had a weird feel to it.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Carcillo going nuts made AV have to juggle the lines and ruined the cohesion of the team. That's a big part of the Rangers identity rolling 4 lines. I think it had a snowball effect as far as losing. The game just had a weird feel to it.
That.

Prust literally changed the whole complexion of the game with his dirty hit. Hell, even me and my Dad were in a bad mood after that

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 12:23 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Absolutely.

I'd make a huge, huge point of not getting tied up in these things in the future. Respond like Step did to Emelin, with huge clean hits. That'll get the crowd into the game and beat the other team down.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

I think breaking Stepan's jaw is a bit more than a distraction

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 12:35 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreider View Post
I think breaking Stepan's jaw is a bit more than a distraction
I made this thread literally minutes before I heard the news. Regardless the Rangers just need to step up and keep their eyes on the prize. The Rangers can just forget Prust now, he's probably gone for a good portion or the remainder of the series.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 01:05 PM
eco's bones

Rangers were off their game for several minutes after the Prust cheap shot. It's easy to understand why but I agree it is counter productive. It doesn't help when the officiating sucks. That hit + Montreal's second slew foot of the series (neither of them called) and then Carcillo getting a charging for pretty much hitting a guy not even that solid.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 01:30 PM
BLOCKERSAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Rangers were off their game for several minutes after the Prust cheap shot. It's easy to understand why but I agree it is counter productive. It doesn't help when the officiating sucks. That hit + Montreal's second slew foot of the series (neither of them called) and then Carcillo getting a charging for pretty much hitting a guy not even that solid.
You with think the league wants a 7 game series.

BLOCKERSAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 01:52 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

This thread should be a sticky, Canadiens only possible winning strategy is baiting because they can't compete on talent

Flyers almost got away with it, nobody thought the Canadiens could be as low as the Flyers but it turns out they're even worse. Just hope the players listen to the coach

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 02:16 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think when Brandon Prust is going around breaking one of our best players jaws, it goes beyond distractions.

Refs need to open their ****ing eyes open in Game 4 so the Rangers can play their game.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 02:17 PM
slipknottin

Still say avoid the distractions. Losing Step hurts.

But focus and win the next 2 and close out the series.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 02:24 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Definitely can't get sucked into bad penalties or trying to even the score. The team isn't built that way. Focus on the series.

They need to play whistle to whistle but hopefully this lights an insane competitive fire in the guys. And hopefully next regular season Prust and the Habs get theirs.

05-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
This thread should be a sticky, Canadiens only possible winning strategy is baiting because they can't compete on talent

Flyers almost got away with it, nobody thought the Canadiens could be as low as the Flyers but it turns out they're even worse. Just hope the players listen to the coach

Couldn't agree more.

They have mastered that 'style' and the opponent will get penalized on the retaliation. Then they will whine and plead their downtrodden bullied case to whoever will listen. The hypocrisy is maddening.

Anyway, stick to what got you there Rangers. Play your game and finish them off!

Go Rangers !

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 12:40 PM
KOVALEV022473

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordongecko View Post
this thread should be a sticky, canadiens only possible winning strategy is baiting because they can't compete on talent

flyers almost got away with it, nobody thought the canadiens could be as low as the flyers but it turns out they're even worse. Just hope the players listen to the coach
this 100%

KOVALEV022473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 12:48 PM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Couldn't agree more.

They have mastered that 'style' and the opponent will get penalized on the retaliation. Then they will whine and plead their downtrodden bullied case to whoever will listen. The hypocrisy is maddening.

Anyway, stick to what got you there Rangers. Play your game and finish them off!

Go Rangers !
Thanks, Gee Wally! I love that Gerry Cheevers mask.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 03:18 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

100% agree with OP

jerseyjinx94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 03:37 PM
trilobyte

The oldest trick in the book is the lesser team getting the better team off their game.
It really is the Canadiens' strategy.
Game 3 is over and it is a fresh start in Game 4. The Rangers have the benefit of a coach they believe in, and who here would really think that they are not taking the high road? It's not just for saying that they will not stoop to cheap shots; it is because staying true to who you are will yield the desired result, which is the Rangers heading to Bell Centre with the possibility of closing it out.
Last time I am going to talk about it, but the 'Prust Incident' worked for the Habs. That was a huge ingredient for them last game. We won't see anything remotely like that again, I bet.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 03:43 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
The oldest trick in the book is the lesser team getting the better team off their game.
It really is the Canadiens' strategy.
Game 3 is over and it is a fresh start in Game 4. The Rangers have the benefit of a coach they believe in, and who here would really think that they are not taking the high road? It's not just for saying that they will not stoop to cheap shots; it is because staying true to who you are will yield the desired result, which is the Rangers heading to Bell Centre with the possibility of closing it out.
Last time I am going to talk about it, but the 'Prust Incident' worked for the Habs. That was a huge ingredient for them last game. We won't see anything remotely like that again, I bet.
Actually, if I were AV, the bolded line would be what I'd be stressing to the team. "Fellas, this is classic 'we're not good enough to beat them head-to-head stuff.' The mere fact that they're playing this BS game proves that they're scared of us. Every time one of them pulls something, remember that. And then keep playing our game."

Much better than just telling them straight up to ignore it.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 04:05 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Actually, if I were AV, the bolded line would be what I'd be stressing to the team. "Fellas, this is classic 'we're not good enough to beat them head-to-head stuff.' The mere fact that they're playing this BS game proves that they're scared of us. Every time one of them pulls something, remember that. And then keep playing our game."

Much better than just telling them straight up to ignore it.
Very true. That's another angle - channeling energy, and always for the positive. I really believe in that. There is so much power in all for one, one for all, unity in purpose.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 04:16 PM
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

When the score is set I want heads to fly. Dress Bickel as forward.

EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeit View Post
When the score is set I want heads to fly. Dress Bickel as forward.
Might as well try to sneak Haley up to the team as well in that case...lol

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Affinity

Who would have thought before the playoffs started that the Habs would be more scummy than the Penguins or Flyers?

Affinity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 04:57 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Who would have thought before the playoffs started that the Habs would be more scummy than the Penguins or Flyers?
by double

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I agree that we focus on hockey initially. But if a game gets out of hand like Game 1 did, I think we should look for blood.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote