HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Moore's hit on Dale Weise - Suspended 2 games - Video in post 177

Old
05-28-2014, 09:06 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Should be 1 game.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:08 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB View Post
But the outcomes are extremely different and the NHL has made it clear, injury has an impact on the suspension.

So, we'll call it the same exact hit for all intents and purposes:

Prust:
Breaks Stepan's Jaw
Has previous suspensions on Resume

Moore:
No Injury
Clean Record
I don't disagree with you, at all. However, I think Moore will get the same penalty regardless, just because the league is too cowardly to anger the Montreal media. Those Mongoloids have complained about everything this series, irrespective of the facts. You don't think they'd jump on NHL Dept. of Player Safety if they saw the opportunity?

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:09 AM
poeman
To Win The One Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Should be 1 game.
i think thats appropriate...With Wiese being okay and not injured

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:11 AM
CharlieCharleschuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Should be 1 game.
Why?

Can someone point out the rule being broken?

CharlieCharleschuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:11 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Thought I saw someone post a tweet. But i can't find it and everything is saying it is unclear if it is an in-person.
If it was an in person hearing,the NHL would have included it in their press release. Even the NHL put the caveat in their release about the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review. I saw EJ Hradek last night on MSG post game show. He spoke to player safety after the infraction. They didn't believe it was a late hit. Was it an illegal check to the head? The helmet popping off doesn't mean it was a head shot. Speaking of tweets go back and look at the tweets from McKenzie and Dreger before the Stepan news was released by Vigneault. They didn't believe Prust was getting suspended. The injury got Prust suspended. Even Prust said the injury got him suspended.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:12 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
He's probably suspended, bad play...Unlike Habs fans when we see a crappy hit we dont rush to defend it like alot of them did with Prust.
They still try and paint it like we're defending the hit. There's one random Bruins fan defending the hit on the main board, then it becomes "all these rags fans are defending this hit!!!!! SACRE BLEU!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!"

Old
05-28-2014, 09:13 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If it was an in person hearing,the NHL would have included it in their press release. Even the NHL put the caveat in their release about the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review. I saw EJ Hradek last night on MSG post game show. He spoke to player safety after the infraction. They didn't believe it was a late hit. Was it an illegal check to the head? The helmet popping off doesn't mean it was a head shot. Speaking of tweets go back and look at the tweets from McKenzie and Dreger before the Stepan news was released by Vigneault. They didn't believe Prust was getting suspended. The injury got Prust suspended. Even Prust said the injury got him suspended.
Which is incredibly disturbing.

Old
05-28-2014, 09:14 AM
Hockeyplayer99

Habs fans are still staying Prust hit was clean and that the Moore hit was really dirty and he is a wuss for that hit. Prust hit was not premediated but the Moore one was. Prust should not have been suspended and Moore should get at least 5 games. Those fans like the habs players are delusional.

Hockeyplayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:18 AM
sark76

2 games for his best Scott Stevens impression

sark76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:19 AM
CDiablo

This hit wasnt late, made the same contact to the lower jaw and Prusts and I dont think Moore has a rep as a tough guy. Wiese also looked worse because he doesnt buckle his helmet. If Wiese didnt stare at his beautiful pass he could have taken the hit properly. Should be 1 game will probably be 5

CDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:20 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCharleschuk View Post
Why?

It was a predatory blindside hit. Moore should have known better. The hit wasn't late, but you just can't hit a player like Moore did. If he had gone for the near-side shoulder, he could have taken Weise out with a cleaner looking hit. But he didn't, he wanted to bury him with a shoulder the sternum.

Lost in all this is that Weise took a run at Moore earlier in the game on an extremely late hit, way later than even the Prust hit was. It should have been a penalty. If the refs call that, maybe Moore isn't seeing red when he hits Weise. Not excusing Moore's hit at all, but I would be incensed too if someone ran me that late. I just wouldn't be as stupid about it.

Old
05-28-2014, 09:23 AM
sark76

I can totally see MT telling all his players after this game NOT to strap on their helmets tightly...

sark76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Vitto79

Diaz in, PP goal, haunts his old team. I'm good with that

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sark76 View Post
I can totally see MT telling all his players after this game NOT to strap on their helmets tightly...
Why not, Montreal has already made the following available to all their players:

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Why?

The hit was a bit late and he blind-sided him. It's close enough to the Prust hit that the league probably feels obligated to "even things out".

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:35 AM
RealCity
We broke the bruins

As I said in the Stepan Broken Jaw thread I didn't like Prust's late hit and definitely didn't like this one either. Seeing as though Moore got 5 and a game and Weise came back I also think a 1 game suspension should suffice.

RealCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:36 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Why?

Moore did blind-side him. It was an unnecessary hit that could have ended a lot worse than it did. I'm fine with him getting 1 game for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2 just to make things "even".

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:43 AM
CharlieCharleschuk

I do agree that it seemed like a predatory hit, blindside, etc. but if Moore can "lawyer up" I find it hard to locate a violation of NHL rules in the play. Rule 56 specifically states that if no other player has touched the puck, the previous puck carrier is fair game.

Our degree of concern on the play stems more, it seems, from Montreal fans, their coach and their shrieking about all plays anti-Canadien. We shouldn't let it influence us and prematurely convict Moore, here.

Old
05-28-2014, 09:44 AM
CharlieCharleschuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Lost in all this is that Weise took a run at Moore earlier in the game on an extremely late hit, way later than even the Prust hit was. It should have been a penalty. If the refs call that, maybe Moore isn't seeing red when he hits Weise. Not excusing Moore's hit at all, but I would be incensed too if someone ran me that late. I just wouldn't be as stupid about it.
Agreed with your point here. Weise was a wrecking ball all night as Kreider could attest as well.

Old
05-28-2014, 09:54 AM
MadHookUp

I thought I heard/read that a hit is only considered late if it was longer than .5 seconds after the puck was released. I also read that the Moore hit was exactly .5 seconds from release, while Prust was .93. So....

1.) Moore's hit was not considered late by NHL standards, while Prust's was nearly twice as late.
2.) Moore received a 5 minute major while Prust received nothing.
3.) Weise was not injured. Stepan required surgery with a plate put into his jaw and missed a game.
4.) Moore has no history, Prust does.

I don't disagree that Moore should be suspended. But I do think that Prust got off very easy. Looking back at how some players have gotten off with a warning because it was their "first offense", if Moore somehow gets 2+ games there is something seriously wrong here. While I believe he deserves more than 1 game, it would be a pretty big injustice when factoring in what Prust got.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Xref

Looked to be a clean hard hit. Shoulder to chest. Didn't deserve a penalty at all. Prust agrees too.

Xref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Why?

Rule 48 - Illegal Check to the Head

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

48.5 Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.

If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion.

---
Should be treated the same as the Prust hit for different reasons. The Prust hit targeted the chest, and was late. The Moore hit was to the head, but not late.

IMHO Quintal has some explaining to do if he uses the rule 48 supplementary discipline provision and gives out less than what was doled out for a commissioner review for an interference play.

My $.02

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 10:02 AM
RangerFan23

I don't believe an in-person hearing mandates it be more than 5 games as some have suggests, just leaves 5+ games on the table, whereas a phone call means you CAN'T be suspended for more than 5. Theretically, they could decide on an in-person hearing and then not issue a suspension (though unlikely).

I think he gets a game. Not as late as Prust, shoulder to chest and followed through up into his chin. Put Diaz in, give him some offensive zone faceoffs. If we lose, its not going to be because Moore isn't in the lineup.

RangerFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post

To be honest the NHL's Department of Player Safety is so ****ed up.
Suspend Prust two games so his 1st game back is at MSG.... brilliant

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Rule 48 - Illegal Check to the Head

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

48.5 Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.

If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion.

---
Should be treated the same as the Prust hit for different reasons. The Prust hit targeted the chest, and was late. The Moore hit was to the head, but not late.

IMHO Quintal has some explaining to do if he uses the rule 48 supplementary discipline provision and gives out less than what was doled out for a commissioner review for an interference play.

My $.02

First off how did Prust target the chest and Moore target the head? They were both one and the same. 2nd if that's your .02 we need change.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote