HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bad curve for slapshots?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-22-2014, 07:22 PM
  #1
WickedWinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Bad curve for slapshots?

So I've been wondering if certain curves just cant be used for certain shots? I've been using this ccm prostock that I picked up at Play It Again, before the start of last season. The curve is, from what I can tell, a Parise/Drury curve or something very similar to it. Now I can take decent wrist shots with it, snap shots aren't half bad, and I can even get some half decent back handers out of it (which really surprised me given that the face is so open) but my slap shots are out of control.

At first I just assumed that it was my technique. But, I have been told that my form is actually pretty good when taking slappers. This was coming from much higher level players, who had great slapshots themselves. Also, when using a different stick with a closed face I can send the pucks screaming through the 5 hole consistently. I'm a winger so the slapshot doesn't get used much, but when I do fire one off, it goes flying about a foot above the crossbar EVERYTIME its really gotten to the point where I'm scared to even try during a game, I'm afraid the puck is going to end up hitting someone in the face or throat and injure them, and that is the last thing I want. Its already happened once last season where I tried to use my center in front of the net to screen for me and instead of sneaking it between his legs, I nailed him right in the groin. No joke, he hit the ice and was out for the rest of the game, I felt like crap afterwards.

So is there anyway to keep the shots low with a parise curve? I tried enphasizing on pointing the stick at my target. Ive even tried not following through on my shot.I just stopped the stick right after it makes contact with the puck, thinking maybe I was lifting too much on the follow through. Any advice would be great.

WickedWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2014, 08:12 PM
  #2
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Generally a big toe curve with an open toe isn't ideal for slapshots because you're lifting the puck naturally and therefore getting more loft rather than power on it. That's not to say you can't have a good slapshot with any curve, but yeah some tend to be better suited than others.

The Drury/Parise has an open toe and will elevate the puck naturally but proper form could correct that. Come over the puck with your wrist and don't follow through as much in order to keep it low. Ultimately it's just finding the correct form and getting it down consistently.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2014, 10:00 PM
  #3
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26
 
CarpeNoctem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: In The Night
Posts: 2,816
vCash: 500
You need to close the blade more, pretty obviously. I actually enjoy Drury for slappers, though I recall when I was more of a beginner-level player that I had the same issue. You may need to work on strengthening your wrists if you have a problem physically with doing it.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2014, 10:11 PM
  #4
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha
 
Onetimersniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWinger View Post
So I've been wondering if certain curves just cant be used for certain shots? I've been using this ccm prostock that I picked up at Play It Again, before the start of last season. The curve is, from what I can tell, a Parise/Drury curve or something very similar to it. Now I can take decent wrist shots with it, snap shots aren't half bad, and I can even get some half decent back handers out of it (which really surprised me given that the face is so open) but my slap shots are out of control.

At first I just assumed that it was my technique. But, I have been told that my form is actually pretty good when taking slappers. This was coming from much higher level players, who had great slapshots themselves. Also, when using a different stick with a closed face I can send the pucks screaming through the 5 hole consistently. I'm a winger so the slapshot doesn't get used much, but when I do fire one off, it goes flying about a foot above the crossbar EVERYTIME its really gotten to the point where I'm scared to even try during a game, I'm afraid the puck is going to end up hitting someone in the face or throat and injure them, and that is the last thing I want. Its already happened once last season where I tried to use my center in front of the net to screen for me and instead of sneaking it between his legs, I nailed him right in the groin. No joke, he hit the ice and was out for the rest of the game, I felt like crap afterwards.

So is there anyway to keep the shots low with a parise curve? I tried enphasizing on pointing the stick at my target. Ive even tried not following through on my shot.I just stopped the stick right after it makes contact with the puck, thinking maybe I was lifting too much on the follow through. Any advice would be great.
The Drury curve is a big heel wedge, which means it makes the puck rise quickly on slap shots. This curve is best used for hard and accurate wrist shots, and perfectly flat saucer passes on both the forehand and the backhand. I HATE heel curves because they're harder to use for stick handling.

The worst curve I've used for taking slap shots is the PM9 Stamkos. It's a nearly flat blade, and is very short. It's also a heel curve, but it's too closed to elevate shots. It's a playmaker curve.

That said though, if you can't keep slap shots down with the Drury, stay away from the P92 and avoid the P08 like the plague. They are both open mid and toe curves, with the latter being an exaggerated version of the first.

Perfect curve for slap shots as a forward is the P88. It's really easy to control the height of the shot, while putting a lot of power on it. Only downside to the P88 is that it's hard to roof the puck on the forehand if you're in the crease.

If you want to keep shots low with the Drury, you need to do a follow through right along the ice, and keep the blade closed all the time.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 04:15 AM
  #5
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26
 
CarpeNoctem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: In The Night
Posts: 2,816
vCash: 500
Avoiding a large variety of curves is foolhardy and will limit you as a player. It's a very large sign you need to develop your technique more. Plus, that's arguably the easiest thing to practice since you can do it off ice. However every curve does have a set of tendencies you'll learn to work with.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 08:42 AM
  #6
WickedWinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I knew it had to be something with my technique. after all, I'm sure Parise himself can take slappers without ringing them off the goalie's mask. lol I'm going to try to implement the tips you gave me and see if It helps me overcome this issue. It would drive me crazy taking shot after shot during S/P and no matter what I did the puck just soared over the net.

WickedWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 11:12 AM
  #7
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha
 
Onetimersniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWinger View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I knew it had to be something with my technique. after all, I'm sure Parise himself can take slappers without ringing them off the goalie's mask. lol I'm going to try to implement the tips you gave me and see if It helps me overcome this issue. It would drive me crazy taking shot after shot during S/P and no matter what I did the puck just soared over the net.
Parise doesn't use a Parise curve. Easton just put his name on a retail curve. His actual curve is different.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 01:12 PM
  #8
WickedWinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
Parise doesn't use a Parise curve. Easton just put his name on a retail curve. His actual curve is different.
Huh...didn't know that. I just always assumed that the curve was that players specific curve they used.

WickedWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 03:00 PM
  #9
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha
 
Onetimersniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWinger View Post
Huh...didn't know that. I just always assumed that the curve was that players specific curve they used.
Retail curves are different from the player's pro stock curve, most of the time. I'll give you an example. Bauer's P08 used to be Ovechkin. They renamed the P92. It used to be Backstrom, it is now Ovechkin. They do it for marketing purposes.

By the way, Parise's pro stock curve looks like a P92/Sakic/E3/Hall curve.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2014, 06:44 PM
  #10
WickedWinger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Well this thread is all a moot point now. During my game today, I found myself in a battle for the puck along the boards. The puck came loose I started to spin around after it and some tool comes in checks me from behind, the blade of my stick went into the boards and the butt end speared me in the stomach and SNAP! I'm so glad that I joined a "no check" league. So anyway, I just got done ordering a nexus 600 in the Backstrom (sp?) And an rbz80 in Tavares curve. Got a sweet clearance price on both of them so I guess I'll be experimenting with some different curves for the rest of the season. lol

WickedWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2014, 07:51 PM
  #11
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha
 
Onetimersniper28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 3,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWinger View Post
Well this thread is all a moot point now. During my game today, I found myself in a battle for the puck along the boards. The puck came loose I started to spin around after it and some tool comes in checks me from behind, the blade of my stick went into the boards and the butt end speared me in the stomach and SNAP! I'm so glad that I joined a "no check" league. So anyway, I just got done ordering a nexus 600 in the Backstrom (sp?) And an rbz80 in Tavares curve. Got a sweet clearance price on both of them so I guess I'll be experimenting with some different curves for the rest of the season. lol
Ouch. I hope you're fine. Good idea you had to try a bunch of different curves to see which one suits you best.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2014, 01:16 PM
  #12
OpenIceHit42
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
A couple of years ago I made the switch (because I was curious to try something different) from the Sakic to the Getzlaf and my slap shot was all over the place. I don’t know if it was because I couldn’t get used to the pattern or what.

I currently use the Backstrom and seems like I have a rather easy time keeping my shots low and hard.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2014, 02:19 PM
  #13
JoeCool16
Registered User
 
JoeCool16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWinger View Post
Huh...didn't know that. I just always assumed that the curve was that players specific curve they used.
Another interesting thing is that curves differ between brands. So an Easton Toews can be different than a Bauer Toews.

The store I go to actually has a big conversion chart so you know what curve to use! I'm currently on a Backstrom, but on another brand it's a Crosby... I like the curve, so it's nice to have the chart so I know what I'm looking for!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 06:12 PM
  #14
nuckss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
The store I go to actually has a big conversion chart so you know what curve to use!
What store is that?

nuckss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 09:42 PM
  #15
JoeCool16
Registered User
 
JoeCool16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckss View Post
What store is that?
The Hockey Shop in Surrey. It's between the two racks of sticks, hanging above them sort of by where they do the sharpening, if my memory serves me. It's still Summer, so I haven't been there in awhile!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2014, 02:51 PM
  #16
OpenIceHit42
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Another interesting thing is that curves differ between brands. So an Easton Toews can be different than a Bauer Toews.

The store I go to actually has a big conversion chart so you know what curve to use! I'm currently on a Backstrom, but on another brand it's a Crosby... I like the curve, so it's nice to have the chart so I know what I'm looking for!
I actually just went through that. I found a super sweet deal on a couple of RBK sticks, I had never used RBK before but for the price I figured it was worth a shot. I did not notice much of a difference if any at all between the Crosby/Backstrom. I ended up going back to Bauer because the RBK sticks are junk IMO. The toes on the blade went to mush very quick on both sticks.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.