HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Was Hossa For Heatley The Best Deal Out There?

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2005, 09:45 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Detroit themselves probably couldn't make the deal unless they dumped salary on Atlanta, like Ottawa did, because they are having problems with the cap as well due to Datsyuk and Zetterberg's demands.

Old
08-31-2005, 09:53 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by name
I was just trying to emphasize the point that nobody was trying to say that Datsyuk is equal to Hossa. Whas Hossa for Heatley the best deal? The poster mentioned that maybe Datsyuk with extras would have been better and I filled in an extra that would have made the deal doable.

You're right, one incredible line does not make a team, that's why Datsyuk + Zetterberg may have been better than Hossa. 2 pretty damned good player > 1 fricken' beast? I'm not sure. (I love Hossa btw for what it's worth)

Your point about Datsyuk's salary demands is a good one, without knowing what he'll sign for, trying to talk trades involving him is pretty pointless. That said, I'll stop talking about it.

How about Brad Richards + .. Oh forget it..
Of course Datsyuk and Zetterberg would have been a better trade.
However, Detroit would get ripped off. Hossa does not equal Datsyuk and Zetterberg. In fact, I think you'd be hard pressed to find many players where one could adequatly replace two first or second liners.

Old
08-31-2005, 11:46 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSen
EXACTLY!

That's the whole point. In the larger picture Ottawa makes out like thieves for THEIR purposes. Without this deal Ottawa is looking at keeping Hossa but losing one of their most key pieces.

What Atlanta gets out of this is irrelevant for Ottawa. Ottawa got what they wanted in return, plus frees up money to keep a key part of their defensive corps.
And Atlanta makes out like thieves for THEIR purposes as well. It's apparent now that Heatley wasn't going to be happy living and playing there. Thusly, his value as a player for the Thrashers falls down a well. Very unfortunate for the team, as he is a great talent when on his game. But to the credit of Waddell and the whole organization, Heatley's request for a trade was honored and Atlanta got a superstar type player in return. Given the circumstances, it could have been so much worse.

Atlanta gets a great player in Hossa (and a very solid defender in deVries) for a disgruntled star. Ottawa gets a potential gamebreaker and the very good chance at keeping one or two other important pieces of their puzzle.

It's all very relevant. Without the good timing, both teams would have been looking at losing very important players with little or no return.

Old
09-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Datsyuk and Kovalchuk have played together in international tournaments before, and I don't think it went too well. You'll have to ask some of the Russian posters for more details, but as far as I can remember they haven't been too productive when on the same line.

Old
09-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Atlas

I like the trade for Ottawa. Heatley, Spezza, Havlat, Alfredsson, Redden, Chara...who am I forgetting? That's a wicked power play.

Under the circumstances it's the best Atlanta could do. I think this makes them a little better this year and not as good long-term. It wouldn't surprise me if Hossa were traded again in a year or two.

Old
09-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Release The Lehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexmaster
The question should be: Was Heatley the best thing out there for Hossa !!!!!!!!

Hossa right now >>>>>> Heatley.........

Atlanta is laughing right now.........and they also got a 5-6th defenseman in Devries
The question should actually be:
What would you rather have?
Hossa+Chara
Hossa+Redden
or
Heatley+Chara+Redden

You have to start looking at it in a cap world. In the overall picture Atlanta actually traded Heatley and one of Chara or Redden for Hossa and deVries. So, in reality Ottawa are the one's laughing right now .... and they cleared ~$2M cap room for this year.

Old
09-01-2005, 03:19 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senator
The question should actually be:
What would you rather have?
Hossa+Chara
Hossa+Redden
or
Heatley+Chara+Redden

You have to start looking at it in a cap world. In the overall picture Atlanta actually traded Heatley and one of Chara or Redden for Hossa and deVries. So, in reality Ottawa are the one's laughing right now .... and they cleared ~$2M cap room for this year.
Heatley wanted out of Atlanta, too many painful memories. His value/contribution to the team diminished significantly because of this. It's painful to think of such a great player as such but bottom line: his value TO the Thrashers at this point was little. To get someone like Hossa given these circumstances, Atlanta has to be more than pleased.

Ottawa gets one great player for another great player, and the chance to sign their two defensive stalwarts (though even with the extra money it might prove difficult to sign them both next year). Guess we'll just have to see.

Both teams are winners here, even if the trade happens to benefit one team more than the other in the coming years. If this trade hadn't happened, both teams would have been assured of losing great players for little or no value. Debate the talent levels or inherent value of the players all you want; won't change the fact that both teams would almost assuredly have lost premium talents for little or nothing had this trade not happened.

Don't know how many times I can post this before it actually sinks in: WIN, WIN.

Accept it, move on. For the love of everything holy, please.

Old
09-01-2005, 05:42 AM
dunwoody_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSen
EXACTLY!

That's the whole point. In the larger picture Ottawa makes out like thieves for THEIR purposes. Without this deal Ottawa is looking at keeping Hossa but losing one of their most key pieces.

What Atlanta gets out of this is irrelevant for Ottawa. Ottawa got what they wanted in return, plus frees up money to keep a key part of their defensive corps.
This is the point as to why the trade is really a fair swap!

Ottawa got what it needed by opening up cap room and thus making a bad situation work for them. Atlanta needed to move Heatley, at his request, and brought in the best talent that a "distressed asset" could bring.

In the end, this is a fair trade. On paper, maybe it looks one-sided but it really seems that both clubs got what they needed. Good GM work from both.

Old
09-01-2005, 07:31 AM
Saint Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw7
Don't know how many times I can post this before it actually sinks in: WIN, WIN.
But but but... BOTH teams CAN'T win! There must be one clear winner. SOMEONE has to take it in the hoo-hoo or my world doesn't make sense anymore!

Old
09-01-2005, 09:02 AM
frozenpondscum

We can ponder all day what might have been a plausible package from Detroit (and we'll never know) for Heatley.

I have to believe that no Detroit package would have equalled the Ottawa package. Heatley has quite a bit more intangible / off-ice / marketing value to a Canadian club, as opposed to a US club. He is already an icon in Canada at a very young age.

Old
09-01-2005, 10:09 AM
boomboom

I think that Hossa could have brought a better package....

Something like

Hossa for Luongo and Jokinen

Hossa for Theodor and Zednick + picks

Hossa for Fernandez and Gaborik + drafts...

lol u get my point, Ottawa needs a goalie

Old
09-01-2005, 10:31 AM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom

Something like

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Old
09-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom

Something like

I dont think the first two are even near likely. The last one isnt as bad but still I dont think minny would want to give up on Gaborik.

Old
09-01-2005, 02:27 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG
Quality always beats quantity
That statement is no longer a given in a salary cap world.

Closed Thread