HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bob Gassoff

Old
05-29-2014, 06:45 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 500
Bob Gassoff

On May 27th in 1977 Bob Gassoff was killed in a motorcycle accident on Route M near Garry Unger’s farm, where the team had gathered for a post-season party. Number three may have been the roughest player in St. Louis Blues history. He only played four seasons, but still ranks fifth on the Blues all-time penalty minutes list. His number was retired on October 1, 1997.

I was in shock when this happened all of me being 12 years old 37 years ago. What could have been. I remember the Blues drafting Defenseman Scott Campbell to fill the massive crater that had transpired from this who instead signed in the WHA's Houston Aeros who folded in 1978 and most of the Aeros players went to Winnipeg, where the Jets won the last Avco Cup in 1979. Jet's Protected Campbell so once again Blues couldn't get Cambells services. Blues finally landed Cambell in a summer trade in 1981 that saw the Blues trade Backup Goalie Ed Stanowski and a young prospect who would go on to be a sniper for more then a decade named Paul MacLean. So what does Campbell do? played 3 whole games for the Blues before "retiring" at 25 due to a asthmatic condition Campbell developed in Winnipeg.

Last edited by JustOneB4IDie: 05-29-2014 at 06:54 AM.
JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 01:29 AM
IComeInPeace

Bob was a little crazy, and crazy tough, especially when you consider he didn't have great size for a guy that was so feared.

I read an article on his son a few years back. He was /is a Navy Seal. I believe his wife was pregnant with their son when the tragedy occurred.

I'll see if I can find it.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 04:33 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
Bob was a little crazy, and crazy tough, especially when you consider he didn't have great size for a guy that was so feared.

I read an article on his son a few years back. He was /is a Navy Seal. I believe his wife was pregnant with their son when the tragedy occurred.

I'll see if I can find it.
Yes his son did go on to become a Navy Seal after a very brief minor league career.

Here's a article : http://www.jcs-group.com/trueblues/blues/gassoff.html

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneB4IDie View Post
On May 27th in 1977 Bob Gassoff was killed in a motorcycle accident on Route M near Garry Ungerís farm, where the team had gathered for a post-season party. Number three may have been the roughest player in St. Louis Blues history. He only played four seasons, but still ranks fifth on the Blues all-time penalty minutes list. His number was retired on October 1, 1997.

I was in shock when this happened all of me being 12 years old 37 years ago. What could have been. I remember the Blues drafting Defenseman Scott Campbell to fill the massive crater that had transpired from this who instead signed in the WHA's Houston Aeros who folded in 1978 and most of the Aeros players went to Winnipeg, where the Jets won the last Avco Cup in 1979. Jet's Protected Campbell so once again Blues couldn't get Cambells services. Blues finally landed Cambell in a summer trade in 1981 that saw the Blues trade Backup Goalie Ed Stanowski and a young prospect who would go on to be a sniper for more then a decade named Paul MacLean. So what does Campbell do? played 3 whole games for the Blues before "retiring" at 25 due to a asthmatic condition Campbell developed in Winnipeg.
Gassoff was crazy tough but the Blues weren't a great team with him and didn't draft all that well either, the trade back for Campbell looks to be just another poor decision by management at the time and his being drafted in the first place was just a poor decision as well.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 08:06 AM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Gassoff was crazy tough but the Blues weren't a great team with him and didn't draft all that well either, the trade back for Campbell looks to be just another poor decision by management at the time and his being drafted in the first place was just a poor decision as well.
Why was drafting Campbell a poor decision? How many defensemen were picked after him that had 'good' careers? The pick wasn't a stretch. He was the #1 pick in the WHA draft.

Campbell went to the WHA because of money which the Blues at the time had very little of. I have a hard time believing whoever they drafted with that picked would have signed with the Blues that year.

In regards to Bob Jr. He was well taken care of by the Blues 'family'. Of course it didn't hurt his stepfather was from the Lohr family which owned a Anheuser-Busch distributorship. He also went to Michigan to play for former Blues' Red Berenson. Toughness was passed down from father to son although Sr wasn't alive when Jr was born.

STLBlueshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 09:20 AM
Ret
Allegedly Boychuk

Gassoff would have been one of the Top 10 greatest enforcers of all time had he not been involved in this tragic accident.

Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 01:32 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBlueshistory View Post
Why was drafting Campbell a poor decision? How many defensemen were picked after him that had 'good' careers? The pick wasn't a stretch. He was the #1 pick in the WHA draft.

Campbell went to the WHA because of money which the Blues at the time had very little of. I have a hard time believing whoever they drafted with that picked would have signed with the Blues that year.

In regards to Bob Jr. He was well taken care of by the Blues 'family'. Of course it didn't hurt his stepfather was from the Lohr family which owned a Anheuser-Busch distributorship. He also went to Michigan to play for former Blues' Red Berenson. Toughness was passed down from father to son although Sr wasn't alive when Jr was born.
Campbell was a poor choice because he really only broke out as a 19 year old, ie his last year in the league against younger guys, a recipe for disaster historically.

Sure Dmen were a bit of a crap shoot back then but there were plenty of really good forwards available, let's face it the Blues needed help at every position back then, and a Dman like Kevin McCarthy at least had a better track record in the year previous to his draft year.

I didn't see Scott Campbell play that year but my guess is that he rode the coattails of a 2 year younger Rob Ramage on that team and for some reason the Blues scouts couldn't separate as to why Campbell broke out in his senior season.

That being said drafting was horrible back in the 70's, no idea if that was more fault to the scouts, players or organizations or a mix of all 3.

Old
06-02-2014, 06:16 AM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Quote:
Campbell was a poor choice because he really only broke out as a 19 year old, ie his last year in the league against younger guys, a recipe for disaster historically.

Sure Dmen were a bit of a crap shoot back then but there were plenty of really good forwards available, let's face it the Blues needed help at every position back then, and a Dman like Kevin McCarthy at least had a better track record in the year previous to his draft year.

I didn't see Scott Campbell play that year but my guess is that he rode the coattails of a 2 year younger Rob Ramage on that team and for some reason the Blues scouts couldn't separate as to why Campbell broke out in his senior season.

That being said drafting was horrible back in the 70's, no idea if that was more fault to the scouts, players or organizations or a mix of all 3.
Nothing like hindsight I see.

Again, Campbell was the 1st pick in the WHA draft. Let's not act like it was a reach pick.

Let's face it. Did the Blues really need help at forward or the blueline more? I guess you forget who their first 2 picks in the draft were in 1976?

Overall the 1977 draft was not great and it really didn't matter who they drafted because they did not have the money to sign whoever it was.

Old
06-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Nothing like hindsight I see.
Well I was like 12 at the time so my observations on drafting have changes over the years.

I'll give you a current example of the Canucks wasting a 2nd round pick on a guy who was passed over previously and had a great final junior season in Mallett, it almost never works out is my point.

IMO I don't think the Scouts for the Blues, or heck most scouts a lot of the time back then seriously considered on why a guy like Campbell suddenly "broke out" in his final junior season.

Quote:
Again, Campbell was the 1st pick in the WHA draft. Let's not act like it was a reach pick.
no probably not a huge reach given the quality of the draft that year but Dmen were really high risks panning out.

Quote:
Let's face it. Did the Blues really need help at forward or the blueline more? I guess you forget who their first 2 picks in the draft were in 1976?
Now who is using hindsight?

Yes both Federko and Sutter looked like good prospects and Patey and MacMillian were both only 23 but they had some old veterans but yes there D did need players, even before the untimely death of Gasoff.

The thing is drafting for need rarely ever works out.

Quote:
Overall the 1977 draft was not great and it really didn't matter who they drafted because they did not have the money to sign whoever it was.
Sure probably true, it's ironic that they didn't fix there problems on the back end till they traded for Ramage in the early 80's (the guy that probably amplified the way Campbell looked to Blue scouts in the first place), although Jack Brownschidle had a couple of decent years.

Last edited by Hardyvan123: 06-02-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old
06-02-2014, 05:01 PM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Quote:

Quote:
no probably not a huge reach given the quality of the draft that year but Dmen were really high risks panning out.
So what you are saying is you agree it was not a reach but it was still a bad pick.

Gotcha. Makes all the sense in the world.

Old
06-02-2014, 08:37 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
His son is now a navy seal

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote