HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Rumors Picking Up> Joe Thornton/Detroit?(e3) Marleau/Lightning (e2)

Old
05-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Nolan11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShark View Post
thornton for kadri and picks
How about Gardiner, Holland and a 2015 1st instead?

Nolan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 05:22 PM
BamaWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
if i were the sharks i would ask for mantha as part of the deal
If you were the red wings you'd laugh uncontrollably

BamaWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 05:32 PM
wingfan

While I'm not sold on the fact that we're in on talks to acquire Joe Thornton, I do believe this is the first time in a very long time where Detroit, as an organization, actually has pieces that other teams covet in a deal to acquire a player like Joe Thornton and actually has the depth in the prospect pool to move them. Does it mean I think we'll see a blockbuster? No. Would it shock me if Holland finally made a move in getting a return on some of those assets? No. I still think before we go after a top 6 forward we'll see a move for a top 4 rhd.

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 05:46 PM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Well some of the proposals have been including forwards. However, my contention was that Detroit had to include Weiss or Franzen to SJ for it to work. I completely disagree with that. It's not necessary at all but one would assume a forward would be returned from Detroit.
I think it is quite neccessary, as its very doubtful the Wings will take on Thronton's $7M without offloading a big contract of their own.

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbwingsfan View Post
I think it is quite neccessary, as its very doubtful the Wings will take on Thronton's $7M without offloading a big contract of their own.
Something like Helm and Tatar where a shade over 2 mil is being sent back would be enough. Plus, there will be other teams that might take something like one of those two off your hands. It won't be San Jose in a Thornton trade.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 06:01 PM
silkyjohnson50

What about Franzen, Ouellet, and a 1st?

Ouellet, who is often compared to Vlasic, is about NHL ready. Could probably make the jump this season. Detroit values him (he got called up and played in the playoffs), but with Marchenko, Backman, Sproul, and even Jensen all in the system as well, one or two of them will be expendable. There's simply not room for all of them and Ouellet seems to have more name value given he's a Canadian kid.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 06:04 PM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post

Ouellet, who is often compared to Vlasic, is about NHL ready. Could probably make the jump this season. Detroit values him (he got called up and played in the playoffs), but with Marchenko, Backman, Sproul, and even Jensen all in the system as well, one or two of them will be expendable. There's simply not room for all of them and Ouellet seems to have more name value given he's a Canadian kid.
I guess Detroit would need to dump a contract on the Sharks to send back salary, so I guess we could do that...I like the offer w/ Tatar instead of Franzen though :-)

BigDmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post

Sharks aren't going to take on Franzen.

Old
05-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Coy

I would love to see Marleau in TB because I love their team and they have a bunch of good young assets, however, they need defense so them trading for Marleau (somebody that will require a ton of young assets to get) doesn't make sense for them.

Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coy View Post
I would love to see Marleau in TB because I love their team and they have a bunch of good young assets, however, they need defense so them trading for Marleau (somebody that will require a ton of young assets to get) doesn't make sense for them.
I don't think it will take a ton of young assets to acquire Marleau. It would probably take two young assets (maybe) and a pick.

Old
05-29-2014, 06:29 PM
DatsyukianDeke*

No Thanks from the Wings. We don't need anymore centers and I don't want the playoffs streak to end.

Oh and Mantha is going nowhere.

DatsyukianDeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Coy

Quote:
I don't think it will take a ton of young assets to acquire Marleau. It would probably take two young assets (maybe) and a pick.
Maybe. Even so TB is better off trading their young prospects (Kucherov, Namestnikov, etc.) for defensive help.

Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Quote:
Not willing to trade any of them for Marleau. There's no point.

Mikey 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coy View Post
Maybe. Even so TB is better off trading their young prospects (Kucherov, Namestnikov, etc.) for defensive help.
I didn't say it had to be any one in particular nor did I say that they had to be great young prospects. It's all dependent on how things shake out with the movement clause and all of that. It can severely impact his value in a negative manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
Like hell there's no point. To get better would be the point since Marleau would easily be the 2nd best forward on the Lightning.

Old
05-29-2014, 07:03 PM
DFC

Quote:
I wouldn't do Kucherov, Namestnikov, or the A+ kids, but I'd give up Connolly + for him. The only way it's a bad deal is if it costs us too much (which we assume it would). I'd do Connolly + Panik/Barberio/(insert B prospect) + NYR 1st. At the very most. ...And even that might hurt a bit much.

If we re-sign Callahan my interest drops to 0 though.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Quote:
Like hell there's no point. To get better would be the point since Marleau would easily be the 2nd best forward on the Lightning.
Yeah, I guess we could continue to play Salo alongside Hedman. Since it worked out so well last time.

Old
05-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
I wouldn't do Kucherov, Namestnikov, or the A+ kids, but I'd give up Connolly + for him. The only way it's a bad deal is if it costs us too much (which we assume it would). I'd do Connolly + Panik/Barberio/(insert B prospect) + NYR 1st. Wouldn't want to go much above that.
Well, this is what I meant. I assumed they'd be asking for our top of the top prospects, but I'd be for sure fine with Connolly+, assuming Callahan is gone.

Old
05-29-2014, 07:05 PM
DFC

Quote:
I didn't say it had to be any one in particular nor did I say that they had to be great young prospects. It's all dependent on how things shake out with the movement clause and all of that. It can severely impact his value in a negative manner.

I doubt that. 3rd, maybe. But if Palat plays anything like he did in the 2nd half of last season, he's our #2 with/without Marleau.

Old
05-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Yeah, I guess we could continue to play Salo alongside Hedman. Since it worked out so well last time.
One does not have anything to do with the other, bro.

Quote:
I doubt that. 3rd, maybe. But if Palat plays anything like he did in the 2nd half of last season, he's our #2 with/without Marleau.
Palat could play that way the entire season but he's still not as good as Marleau is. Palat will obviously be better in two to four years but not now. Marleau is one of the best two-way wingers in the game.

Old
05-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Quote:
Using good assets to get Marleau instead of getting D is a bad idea.

Old
05-29-2014, 07:21 PM
DFC

Quote:

Palat could play that way the entire season but he's still not as good as Marleau is. Palat will obviously be better in two to four years but not now. Marleau is one of the best two-way wingers in the game.
Palat scored 44 points in 42 games and was our best defensive forward. Marleau's a great player, but there were only 15 or so forwards league wide who had a second half as good as Palat's. (And that's being pretty conservative. He was 5th/6th in scoring over that period and he's better defensively than offensively.)

Of course, the jury's still out on whether or not he can replicate that over a full year. But given the way he plays, I think there's a strong possibility he'll only get better if he's playing with Stamkos.

Old
05-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Using good assets to get Marleau instead of getting D is a bad idea.
Which still has nothing to do with Sami Salo since he was signed as a free agent. There are also more assets for Tampa to use than to just get some D help. They have more than enough of them to get Marleau and D help.

Old
05-29-2014, 07:24 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
yep--must be renewel season on his site

05-29-2014, 07:26 PM
StoneColdStevYzerman
Yzerman 3:16

vCash: 400
Quote:
Palat scored 44 points in 42 games and was our best defensive forward. Marleau's a great player, but there were only 15 or so forwards league wide who had a second half as good as Palat's. (And that's being pretty conservative. He was 5th/6th in scoring over that period and he's better defensively than offensively.)

Of course, the jury's still out on whether or not he can replicate that over a full year. But given the way he plays, I think there's a strong possibility he'll only get better if he's playing with Stamkos.
Marleau has consistency going for him. I'd agree with DFC; don't give up a ton of value until we're closer to set on defense.

StoneColdStevYzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 07:28 PM
DFC

Quote:
Which still has nothing to do with Sami Salo since he was signed as a free agent. There are also more assets for Tampa to use than to just get some D help. They have more than enough of them to get Marleau and D help.
Depends on which assets SJ wants. We're not going to blow out our prospect pool in one year for two players (Marleau + defenseman).

If SJ doesn't ask for Kucherov or Nasmestnikov, there's probably a deal to be made. Especially if they're looking for picks, or a deal centered around Brett Connolly. We have some high-risk/high-reward players. I think we'd be willing to give up one or two of those. But Marleau's going to be 35 soon, and we're a team that just became competitive. We're not exactly contenders just yet.