HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Markov (is/isn't done)

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2014, 01:04 PM
eFFeRR
Major League Hockey

vCash: 500
PLEEEEAAASSSEEE Mr. Bergevin...

Out: Markov, Boullion, Murray, Drewiskie
In: Weaver (UFA), Beaulieu (farm), Tinordi (farm), Nygren (SEL), Pateryn (farm)

I don't care if this is an inexperienced blue line, all of these guys with the exception of Weaver, NEED the experience if they are going to become who we think they are. They aren't getting an younger.

Old
05-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Another weird thread. Markov had a great season and will get re-signed. 3 years, somewhere around 6 million per. It's a no-brainer for Bergevin.

Old
05-30-2014, 01:25 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by eFFeRR View Post

I don't care if this is an inexperienced blue line, all of these guys with the exception of Weaver, NEED the experience if they are going to become who we think they are. They aren't getting an younger.
Why do you want Markov gone? Who will be eating his minutes next year?

Old
05-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
The point of getting Dan Boyle is so we get a similar player willing to play here for a one year contract to come nearby his homeplace.

If he also wants 2 or 3 years, you absolutely keep Markov. But if Markov isn't willing to buldge and want to get his 3 years+, well trying and signing Boyle one season is more than worth it.
There is a 2 year difference between both players, so giving Boyle 1 of giving and making Markov happy 3 if that's what he wants is the same thing. And you don't have to break your head looking for a replacement every year. We know what we have and what to expect in Markov

Old
05-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Brainiac

Whoever says we NEED to go into next season with 3 or 4 rookies D is just out to lunch.

That's a recipe for disaster and I think some here are just dreaming about McDavid. And you know what? That's effectively just a dream. No way this team can even try tanking. Too much talent and character.

That and we would be a cap floor team.

Not. Happening.

Old
05-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Stephpa10

I will be happy if our D is like this next year

PK
Markov
Georges
Emelin
Beaulieu
Tinoridi
Weaver

Wouldn't mind trading Georges for a natural RD.

Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-PK
Beaulieu-?????
Weaver

Old
05-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Another weird thread. Markov had a great season and will get re-signed. 3 years, somewhere around 6 million per. It's a no-brainer for Bergevin.
I think that salary and term are both excessive.

Old
05-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
I must say, I wasn't too surprised to come back to this forum and see people ***** about Gionta, or beg for unproven players like Galchenyuk to be handed over spots they don't deserve... but I didn't think people would be so harsh on Markov.

Markov had a great season overall and good playoffs, all things considered. Yeah, he's got a lot of mileage by now but his hockey sense was always through the roof and that has extended his prime years, along with his underrated athleticism.

But yeah, at this point he is either gonna be an average top 2 D (which is not bad in and of itself) or an excellent 3rd defenseman.

People who are talking about all of Markov's "flaws" right now are just selectively basing this on a few counter-performances. Overall this season and in the playoffs, Markov was very much an important player.

I understand why he went to the olympics but obviously, that wasn't a good thing for the Habs either. You combine all those games, all that ice time... I think he didn't have much left by the end.

Markov MUST be a priority re-signing for Bergevin because:

1. Obviously, he's freaking talented
2. He's well-rounded and can take roles in case of emergency. For instance, I don't see him as an elite quarterback anymore but he is that guy I want to replace Subban with if he got injured for a few weeks.
3. His experience is invaluable on this team.
4. Markov has the right attitude. Never one to cause problems internally. Off the ice, never one who held out for too much money. He was always an easy signing for solid value.
5. Just historically. It would be cool if a player we drafted, who gave us very good performances all these years could finish his career with us.

Forget Markov has an elite player. He was once one of the 10 best defensemen in the league but these days are gone. But sometimes people have a hard time reconciling the fact a player can be really good and really useful even if he is not elite anymore.

Next season, Markov would get a chance to reach 800+ games played as a Habs, reach a very select club. The guy is awesome. If the terms are right? Absolutely secure this guy! He's invaluable to this team. And the kind of D any team in the NHL would benefit from. As simple as that.

There may be fingers to point on this team but I'd look elsewhere than Markov.
Welcome back!

Old
05-30-2014, 01:45 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

He slowed down in the playoffs not because he's done but because Therrien played him way too much all year long. I'd give him 2 years at 6M.

Old
05-30-2014, 01:56 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by eFFeRR View Post

Ya no thanks, keep Markov at the very least you can't win with that much inexperience on the blueline.

Old
05-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I must say, I wasn't too surprised to come back to this forum and see people ***** about Gionta, or beg for unproven players like Galchenyuk to be handed over spots they don't deserve... but I didn't think people would be so harsh on Markov.

Markov had a great season overall and good playoffs, all things considered. Yeah, he's got a lot of mileage by now but his hockey sense was always through the roof and that has extended his prime years, along with his underrated athleticism.

But yeah, at this point he is either gonna be an average top 2 D (which is not bad in and of itself) or an excellent 3rd defenseman.

People who are talking about all of Markov's "flaws" right now are just selectively basing this on a few counter-performances. Overall this season and in the playoffs, Markov was very much an important player.

I understand why he went to the olympics but obviously, that wasn't a good thing for the Habs either. You combine all those games, all that ice time... I think he didn't have much left by the end.

2. He's well-rounded and can take roles in case of emergency. For instance, I don't see him as an elite quarterback anymore but he is that guy I want to replace Subban with if he got injured for a few weeks.
4. Markov has the right attitude. Never one to cause problems internally. Off the ice, never one who held out for too much money. He was always an easy signing for solid value.
5. Just historically. It would be cool if a player we drafted, who gave us very good performances all these years could finish his career with us.

Forget Markov has an elite player. He was once one of the 10 best defensemen in the league but these days are gone. But sometimes people have a hard time reconciling the fact a player can be really good and really useful even if he is not elite anymore.

Next season, Markov would get a chance to reach 800+ games played as a Habs, reach a very select club. The guy is awesome. If the terms are right? Absolutely secure this guy! He's invaluable to this team. And the kind of D any team in the NHL would benefit from. As simple as that.

Damn bud, welcome back man!
I agree too, Markov is a must re-sign.

Old
05-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Andy

Quote:

Best post I've read in months.

Old
05-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! Good to recognize a lot of faces... well, avatars

Old
05-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Gary320

I bet 29 other teams drool at the idea of having Markov as a free agent.. and people here want to get rid of him.

Markov isn't done. He's just being played WAY too much. He has way too many responsibilities. He needs to be the #3 or #4. I'd resign him.

Old
05-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Sword

I don't want him to play with Emelin anymore. Let's say he plays fewer minutes, which defenseman is going to be given additional minutes? Who's going to be our #2 D? Gorges lol?

Old
05-30-2014, 02:42 PM
LesHabs66

Markov is like that high mileage sports car you cannot bear to get rid of but also cannot rely on as your daily transportation. He looked gassed toward the end of the Bruins series and clearly wasn't very good against the Rangers with his inability to clear pucks or hit the net from the blueline. The turnovers hurt as well.

Pair him up with one of the younger and faster guys like Tinordi or Pateryn and let them learn from Markov. Tinordi and Pateryn are going to need to step up and make the big team sone of these days so why not give them a chance to sink or swim in 2014-15?
Gotta do something besides rely upon retreads like Murray and Bullion or make an older Andrei Markov play as many minutes as he did this season/playoffs.

Then again you sometimes have to step away and let someone go despite sentimentality.

MB will not have an easy off-season this year.

Old
05-30-2014, 02:46 PM
Nynja*

vCash: 50
To everyone saying to get rid of markov and go with 4 rookie D

You all are ****ing terrible GMs. You dont blow up the team and go with rookies because you got eliminated in game 6 of the conference finals after loaing your all-world goaltender in game 1.

Old
05-30-2014, 02:50 PM
billy piton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword View Post
I don't want him to play with Emelin anymore. Let's say he plays fewer minutes, which defenseman is going to be given additional minutes? Who's going to be our #2 D? Gorges lol?
i love markov and, imo,he is far from being done, but i think 25:14 is a little bit too much at this point of his career. something around 23 minutes would be just perfect. i think he was overused on penalty kill, while subban was sitting on the bench in the meantime

Old
05-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
i love markov and, imo,he is far from being done, but i think 25:14 is a little bit too much at this point of his career. something around 23 minutes would be just perfect. i think he was overused on penalty kill, while subban was sitting on the bench in the meantime
That's why you let him go. Bergevin can try to get another D via free agency or a trade. Nobody is suggesting playing 4 rookies. You can trade Plekanec for a winger or a defenseman. Like I said in the other thread, the Kings will try to sign Gaborik, but they won't have much money left, I say we go after Alec Martinez.

Old
05-30-2014, 03:01 PM
cave troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
He was overused overall.
Therrien has a full confidence in him and I don't see him not signed.
There is still an option of him asking too much money and a too long term.

Old
05-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Not sure what to think of him. He's still highly talented and his goal against the Rangers proved that but he has had a few bad habits he has accumulated over the years that have become more of a problem with fatigue and old age. When you are talented like him for example you tend to be careless and lazy when you make passes but deep in the playoffs, it was a problem for him to make the simplest passes.

That said, even if I wish that Beaulieu and Emelin would fill the left side of our defensive core with Tinordi, they are too inexperienced. But I still would prefer Emelin to play on the left side. What the Habs could do would be put these three on the left and hire another vet on the right to stabilizes the core in Dan Boyle. But i'm not sure if that's the right path to take right away.

Old
05-30-2014, 03:15 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I bet 29 other teams drool at the idea of having Markov as a free agent.. and people here want to get rid of him.

Markov isn't done. He's just being played WAY too much. He has way too many responsibilities. He needs to be the #3 or #4. I'd resign him.
other teams who have a stacked D and they can just put markov out for the powerplay maybe

Old
05-30-2014, 03:21 PM
clarke19

vCash: 800
If we are headed into our cup contention window, which it seems we are, I don't see why people wouldn't want Markov as a part of this team. He's extremely valuable as a PP quarterback and a guy who can handle secondary minutes.

He needs to be insulated more, and it's been that way for a while. We need another top 4 D-man that can push Emelin to the 3rd pair on the left and take responsibility off Markov.

Markov isn't done, he just cant handle 24 minutes anymore, and that's no surprise at his age. He's still very useful.

Old
05-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Whoever says we NEED to go into next season with 3 or 4 rookies D is just out to lunch.

That's a recipe for disaster and I think some here are just dreaming about McDavid. And you know what? That's effectively just a dream. No way this team can even try tanking. Too much talent and character.

That and we would be a cap floor team.

Not. Happening.
Most of these player threads follow the same theme:

1) Good bye to anyone 35 and older, no matter how proven they are
2) Hello to anyone 25 or younger, no matter how unproven they are

Old
05-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
He slowed down in the playoffs not because he's done but because Therrien played him way too much all year long. I'd give him 2 years at 6M.
If you mean 6 million total then I'd be fine with that.

Closed Thread