HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How good was Jeff Brown?

Old
05-30-2014, 04:08 AM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

vCash: 500
How good was Jeff Brown?

At his best this guy put up 175 points in 178 regular season games, from 1992 to 1995. He also had 38 points in 42 playoff games with the Blues. He was a great presence with Vancouver in the 1994 playoffs. I get he played with some great players offensively like Hull & Oates and Bure but already as a 22 year old he scored 20 goals and 68 points with the Nordiques, when Stastny & Goulet were past their glory days and Sakic hadn't really emerged yet. I also get he weren't particularly great defensively. But was he Housley bad defensively? I don't remember him being a liability defensively in the 94 playoffs.

Overall, what players in history does he compare with?

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 04:26 AM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

wonderful first pass, excellent point shot. defensively, i remember him being passable. but not a guy who can really control the game, even though his offensive tools were elite. he had a toolbox, don't get me wrong, just more of a christian ehrhoff one than a sergei zubov one.

i think basically impact-wise in his prime, he's LA-era mathieu schneider (i.e., the schneider that was no longer the liability he used to be, but not yet decently good defensively like he would become in detroit). visnovsky is another guy i'd compare him to. or steve duchesne, but not quite as good. a lot of LA guys coming to mind; not sure why.

if he's on your top pair, you're not going anywhere. if you have the horses to give him a smaller role at ES while still riding him hard on the PP, you're in very good shape.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 04:46 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
if he's on your top pair, you're not going anywhere.
Except, you know, game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 05:42 AM
Johnny Engine

Weren't Lumme and Murzyn more important to that Canucks team though?

They didn't exactly have a stud like Bourque or Stevens, but there were enough solid players on that team that they didn't have to give huge minutes to a guy that didn't suit them.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 06:01 AM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
Weren't Lumme and Murzyn more important to that Canucks team though?
Diduck and Babych were solid too, and Hedican. But Brown brought a different kind of weapon offensively, especially on the PP.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 08:37 AM
BraveCanadian

Brown was really good in my memory.

Great skater, great shot, great creativity, decent defensively too.

As mentioned up thread, you wouldn't want him to be your #1 stud defenseman for a cup contender but he would make an strong #2 to a very strong defensive #1 or an excellent start as the top guy on a second pairing and on the PP.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 09:15 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I think a modern comparison would be James Wisniewski. In the offensive zone or on the breakout and especially on the power play, excellent. In his own zone, inconsistent. He could make an exceptional play to break up a 2-on-1, or could make a baffling one to take himself 50' out of position in a normal situation.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
Diduck and Babych were solid too, and Hedican. But Brown brought a different kind of weapon offensively, especially on the PP.
Really similar to the other group they went to the finals with - Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Erhoff and Salo all ranged from fringe #1s to luxury #3s. You wouldn't get anywhere with Erhoff playing 28 minutes a game, but if you have all those guys, you're laughing.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
wonderful first pass, excellent point shot. defensively, i remember him being passable. but not a guy who can really control the game, even though his offensive tools were elite. he had a toolbox, don't get me wrong, just more of a christian ehrhoff one than a sergei zubov one.

i think basically impact-wise in his prime, he's LA-era mathieu schneider (i.e., the schneider that was no longer the liability he used to be, but not yet decently good defensively like he would become in detroit). visnovsky is another guy i'd compare him to. or steve duchesne, but not quite as good. a lot of LA guys coming to mind; not sure why.

if he's on your top pair, you're not going anywhere. if you have the horses to give him a smaller role at ES while still riding him hard on the PP, you're in very good shape.

Basically this but will add that he wasn't a great team mate, which is why he was traded by the Canucks.

His game also didn't translate very well into the clutch and grab era and he was finished hockey at 31.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 12:39 PM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad View Post
Except, you know, game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.
he was third pair at ES. a very good third pair with a young hedican with more responsibilities than most because there was no true stud number one norris guy on the roster, but diduck/babych played the shutdown minutes and lumme/glynn was the all-round, just throw them out there pairing.

Old
05-30-2014, 12:54 PM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

and by the way, i think one of the underrated reasons the '94 canucks declined is when all the guys from '94 declined or left, the team kept expecting brown to become the number one, all-situations, desjardins kind of guy and never brought in anyone to actually fill those holes. and to his credit, brown could pull that weight pretty well for stretches, when given it, but not consistently.

meanwhile, babych got old, murzyn got terrible, diduck left, hedican never progressed, and lumme... i know people love lumme, but that's another guy who should never have been playing number one minutes, which he also had to take on. lumme at 1a minutes, either due to depth or having a number one guy, you're golden. lumme miscast as your drew doughty, uh oh. he was a very tough guy, but how often can you watch a guy get plastered on the end boards before he starts to slow/break down?

Old
05-30-2014, 01:03 PM
begbeee

He retired due to concussion symptoms. Did he have more concussion? When did occur his most significant/last one?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Big Phil

Steve Duchesne-ish? Hall of "Very Good". Nothing wrong with that. I agree that he shouldn't be your best defenseman, he was never even mentioned for the Norris, but I would describe him as a wonderful skater.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 10:37 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Jeff Brown lead pass to Bure... breakaway... score!

That's how I prefer to remember both of them.

Ogie Goldthorpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 10:57 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Steve Duchesne-ish? Hall of "Very Good". Nothing wrong with that. I agree that he shouldn't be your best defenseman, he was never even mentioned for the Norris, but I would describe him as a wonderful skater.
I wouldn't even put him in the Hall of Very Good. He's a lock for the Hall of Good. Right there with Glen Wesley and Rick Vaive.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 08:07 AM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Jeff Brown was an excelent 'offensive' defensemen. As a 'defensive' defensemen he was below average. He averaged .89 points a game for the St Louis Blues. Sadly, concussions did him in.

One thing for sure is the guy can coach. He has won a NAHL title, USHL title and his youth teams excelled in major tournaments. Have not heard if & where he will be coaching next year since the Indian Ice will be looking for a new facility next season.

BTW.... His son Logan is a pretty darn good prospect and a big kid.

Last edited by STLBlueshistory: 05-31-2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: add to post
STLBlueshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 08:29 PM
IComeInPeace

I'd agree with the poster above stating he was at the level of a guy like Glen Wesley. No shame in that.

I think he made the Canucks a much better team b/c of his outlet passes, and shot whaich created some more room for guys like Bure.

I think he was sorely missed (at least on the ice) the following season.

What that 'Nucks team lacked, and the organization has always lacked, was a true number 1 d-man.
I think that Canucks team could have won a Cup, or two had they had an elite number 1 d-man...

But, that logic kind of applies to numerous teams, doesn't it???

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Regal

I'm thinking Yandle might be a good current comparable.

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 05:38 PM
jkrx

Quote:

Schneider wasn't very good defensively in Detroit.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 05:54 PM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Schneider wasn't very good defensively in Detroit.
really? i guess you'd know better than me. i just remember discussion of him finally turning into a decent contributor on defense. but then he was paired with lidstrom right?

Old
06-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Lord J T Shark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 95
Kirk Mclean loves the guy

06-02-2014, 01:33 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I think a modern comparison would be James Wisniewski. In the offensive zone or on the breakout and especially on the power play, excellent. In his own zone, inconsistent. He could make an exceptional play to break up a 2-on-1, or could make a baffling one to take himself 50' out of position in a normal situation.
Jeff Brown was more talented than James Wisniewski by a country mile.

In his prime, Brown's outlet passing and PP QB skills were Zubov-esque (and had a similar career to Zubov until age 28 or so - about the age that Zubov learned how to play defense while Brown's career fell off badly). The guy was a massive, massive talent.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 01:33 AM
jkrx

Quote:
really? i guess you'd know better than me. i just remember discussion of him finally turning into a decent contributor on defense. but then he was paired with lidstrom right?
Yes, he was. Not for the entire time but for most of it. I haven't seen that many defensemen that look so exposed in the playoffs.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Jeff Brown was more talented than James Wisniewski by a country mile.

In his prime, Brown's outlet passing and PP QB skills were Zubov-esque (and had a similar career to Zubov until age 28 or so - about the age that Zubov learned how to play defense while Brown's career fell off badly). The guy was a massive, massive talent.
Brown would be closer to Dave Babych like up until 28 than Zubov, Zubov had elite offensive skills and even led the NYR in scoring in 94 ahead of a healthy moose and Leetch.

If Zubov is considered in a Jeff brown tier, even for part of his career, it might explain the lack of respect he gets.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Basically this but will add that he wasn't a great team mate, which is why he was traded by the Canucks.

His game also didn't translate very well into the clutch and grab era and he was finished hockey at 31.
He seemed to be pretty good at clutching and grabbing

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote