HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Players who looked more dangerous on the ice than they were

Old
06-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Garlando

vCash: 500
Not sure of Vyacheslav Kozlov counts but I always felt watching him that he could have been so much more despite a strong career. Kozlov was a wonderful offensive player. The darting winger had a great knack for shaking his check at just the right time, seemingly materializing out of nowhere for scoring chances. Unlike so many Russian players (especially of his generation) he was never shy to shoot the puck. He had a quick release and loved to pick the top corners of the net.

A wonderful skater, he could be a frustrating player for some fans. He liked to hold the puck, often a little too long at times. While he was willing to take a hit to make a play, the 5'10" and 180lb winger/center generally did not thrive in physical contests.

His last two seasons in Detroit where he was in his prime were huge letdowns and they traded him to Buffalo where they got the Goaltender they needed to win back to back championships.

Check out that wrister in the third video, wow!

Garlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlando View Post
While he was willing to take a hit to make a play, the 5'10" and 180lb winger/center generally did not thrive in physical contests.
Not sure I agree [about Kozlov]. He was Detroit's most consistent playoff goal scorer year to year. I for one loved the guy.

Regarding your larger point about his looking dangerous, Kozlov was once thought to be a real blue chipper, but serious injuries from a car accident before his draft supposedly turned what would've been an elite player into just a very good one.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Valeri Bure and Jay Bouwmeester come to mind. For as big, smooth and awesome skating as Bouwmeester is, he doesn't accomplish nearly as much as you would hope. Valeri Bure could dazzle one night as the best player on the ice then go silent for the next 3-4 games.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Viktor Kozlov - Not because he was the greatest skater, but because of his world class tools. He often looked like Mario out there in the offensive zone with his size and skillset. Malkin-like without the north/south skating.

Michael Nylander - Highly, highly skilled playmaker who looked dangerous in the offensive zone with the puck on his stick. Never quite put it all together.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 05:48 PM
crobro

Miroslav frycer (sic)

Thomas gradin

crobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Boom Boom Bear

ah, yes, before the Leafs had Courtnall, they had speed demon
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobro View Post
Miroslav frycer (sic)
who had better hands than Courtnall & shiftier movements
but was similarly inept & as easy as a fly to swat away

Quote:
Originally Posted by crobro View Post
Thomas gradin
i dunno, i always thought that Gradin's statistical output matched his talent & effort.

Joe Thornton completely mystifies me. i mean, why isn't this guy mopping the floor with the likes of Crosby? in my mind he should have five Art Rosses, three Harts, three Cups & a Smythe by now. ???

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

As we get further into this thread, I can't help but notice that most of these players cluster into a very specific thing: teams that were poorly run, with said player(s) as a focal point for why the team wasn't performing well.

So we're left to draw one of two conclusions:
1) These players were destined to be stars, but due to the mediocrity of the team around them, failed to develop into what they should have done. Their failure to develop is why the team was mediocre, or

2) These players were more highly-touted than they should have been based on having one superlative skill (normally skating), with the assumption that they could fill out the rest of the skill package.

If we look at the clustering, we see the same teams over and over:
- Columbus under Doug MacLean
- Florida during their lengthy playoff drought
- Tampa Bay and San Jose draft picks from their lean scouting years
- Toronto during the late Ballard years
- Atlanta under Don Waddell
- Montreal during their late-1990s decline

Being a fan of Columbus and Atlanta (but no fan of MacLean or Waddell), I'm inclined to believe the second conclusion more. Oddly enough, neither one of them ever picked up Rico Fata, who's the poster boy for blazing speed, inconsistent hands, and non-existent hockey IQ.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 06:18 AM
Anisimovs AK

Thread needs more Zherdev. Silky smooth hands, could stickhandle at top speed...but man, that hockey IQ . Did nothing but looked great doing it.

surprised nobody has mentioned Kristian Huselius. Those hands...MY GOD! Unfortunately he hit soooo many posts. Usually around 12-15 a season. I kid you not

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Dooman

As much as I love him. The name that comes to mind as an Oilers fan is Ales Hemsky.

Dooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 07:12 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisimovs AK View Post
Thread needs more Zherdev. Silky smooth hands, could stickhandle at top speed...but man, that hockey IQ . Did nothing but looked great doing it.

surprised nobody has mentioned Kristian Huselius. Those hands...MY GOD! Unfortunately he hit soooo many posts. Usually around 12-15 a season. I kid you not
Zherdev is a great answer. He was pretty relatively productive though.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 07:34 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

I'm gonna throw out the name Yvon Cournoyer. Let's say its 1970 and you've never seen a hockey game in your life and you go watch a Bruins Habs game at the Forum. A guy sitting next to you is from the future and says, "One of these players not named Orr will score 76 goals one year." He then asks you who you would choose?

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 07:39 PM
feffan

Who are the opposites? Getting points, even if not looking dangerous. The Tomas Holmströms, but one step above...

feffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 10:55 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Luc Robitaille and Kevin Stevens were both players who didn't look like anything special to me but had surprising productivity.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by feffan View Post
Who are the opposites? Getting points, even if not looking dangerous. The Tomas Holmströms, but one step above...
Ryan Smyth

Can't shoot, can't skate, no hands.

Yet, got the job done. First line player for most of his career.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
I'm gonna throw out the name Yvon Cournoyer. Let's say its 1970 and you've never seen a hockey game in your life and you go watch a Bruins Habs game at the Forum. A guy sitting next to you is from the future and says, "One of these players not named Orr will score 76 goals one year." He then asks you who you would choose?
You might still think Esposito since he had just won the Art Ross in 1969 and had 49 goals while doing it. But I know what you mean with Cournoyer. Wicked wrist shot, about as fast as anyone has ever been in NHL history. Skated circles around everyone when he was on the ice. And there were times he put it together rather well. Remember that goal in Game 2 of the Summit Series? Wow. Talk about speed. But sometimes it almost seemed like Cournoyer was too fast for his own good and the puck wouldn't catch up to his speed. That's what I thought at least. For sure he was a guy who had 100 point potential written all over him.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Wow. Talk about speed. But sometimes it almost seemed like Cournoyer was too fast for his own good and the puck wouldn't catch up to his speed. That's what I thought at least. For sure he was a guy who had 100 point potential written all over him.
Ya thats for sure. Though smaller height wise & stockier he was like an early version of Guy Lafleur before Guy arrived. Proto-typical Flying Frenchman, highly creative & extremely entertaining; electrifying at times... used a longer skate blade than standard which he felt gave him some seriously extra gears & I wouldnt be arguing with him about that. Legs on him like tree-trunks. Toe Blake didnt think he was defensively responsible, bit of a liability so he used him sparingly, mostly on the PP & so on. Wasnt until Ruel took over behind the bench he got a regular shift scoring 40G's in his first really full minute season.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 01:15 AM
The Wizard of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
Sergi Berazan.
Bingo, whenever I think of him I can picture him rushing down the side at full speed with a booming slapper. Apparently he was a total puckhog and that's probably why I have such vivid memories of a 50 point scorer that seemed like a 90 point scorer. One of my favorite players as a kid.

The Wizard of Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 02:40 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Alexei Kovalev. You'd think he was Lemieux with the way people drooled over him in his retirement thread.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 03:11 AM
thegoldenyear

Gil Perrault.

This thread needs more HHOFers. Good to see Cournoyer above. So far as Gil was concerned, it looked like his mind might've been too quick for his body. To put it in a modern context, I think of Vanek's admonition regarding Tavares after playing a month or two with him on the Island: "Sometimes in my eyes what he needs to realize is he's got a guy beat and then he wants to beat him again. Sometimes simple is more for him." I watched a lot of Sabres games in the second half of Gil's career, and he seemed to end up behind the opposition net after deking the entire team. The puck was often still outside the net.

thegoldenyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 04:03 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenyear View Post
Gil Perrault.
I don't know about the NHL, but in international competition (Canada Cups, vs. Soviet teams), he was just as dangerous as he looked. Very flashy, of course, but he also delivered (goals & assists).

I think that CCCP's Helmuts Balderis looked slightly more dangerous than he actually was. Although he was very good in the late '70s and could do things with his skates and with the puck that his teammates like Petrov and Mikhailov could only dream of, I don't think he was ever as important as those guys - not even as a scorer, let alone as an all-round player. It has been suggested that he played for CSKA (1977-80) and the national team (mostly between 1976 and 1980) almost reluctantly, but I'm not sure.

VMBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Terry Yake

eric daze

the guy was massive but always seemed to shy away from playing physical. that and his offensive play was way down from what people thought it would be

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Martin Riggs
Formerly Murphy 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
eric daze

the guy was massive but always seemed to shy away from playing physical. that and his offensive play was way down from what people thought it would be
There was a reason why he was nicknamed "Daisy"

Martin Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Heh easy one for me...Oleg Petrov, played for the Habs in the mid 90's, early 2000's. Was a member of the infamous Smurf line with Saku Koivu and Valeri Bure.
Was a lil waterbug, puck handling whiz, control the puck for minutes at a time...and that's about it lol

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya thats for sure. Though smaller height wise & stockier he was like an early version of Guy Lafleur before Guy arrived. Proto-typical Flying Frenchman, highly creative & extremely entertaining; electrifying at times... used a longer skate blade than standard which he felt gave him some seriously extra gears & I wouldnt be arguing with him about that. Legs on him like tree-trunks. Toe Blake didnt think he was defensively responsible, bit of a liability so he used him sparingly, mostly on the PP & so on. Wasnt until Ruel took over behind the bench he got a regular shift scoring 40G's in his first really full minute season.
Funny thing, googling Yvan Cournoyer's pictures. Still got them tree-trunk legs.

Darth Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 02:00 AM
pbgoalie

Old timers picks

As a Ranger fan, two guy popped in my memory.
Ron Duguay. Whonky skating style, but could stick handle around people
without really getting anywhere
Gene Carr. Another set of great wheels who would get a breakaway every game
and absolutely wear out the goalies chest protectors

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote