HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Benning Won’t Rule Out Upgrade in Goal

Old
05-31-2014, 06:12 PM
shogun99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenJagrt View Post
How about a guy like Schneider or maybe Luongo?
Both those guys are legitimate starters. I doubt NJ or Florida would trade them though.

shogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 07:01 PM
rypper

I, like the majority of canucks fans are completely ok with running a lack/markstrom pairing next season.

With upgrades to the forward group rather than spending that cap space on goaltending.

Plus a new coach with a new voice and a defensive system that isn't a complete fire drill I think both lack and markstrom will be a lot better.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 07:59 PM
DeltaSwede

It's funny that fans of other teams seem to be worried about Vancouvers goaltending while most Canuck fans are fine with it, including myself.

Eddie Lack has shown that he is very talented and he can be a starter especially with Rollie Melanson coaching him. He made great strides and hit a slump after Luongo was traded (not like the team in front of him helped him out).

Jakob Markström is another young talented goalie that hasn't been coached correctly over in North America. I expect Melanson to help in this case again just like he did with Lack. Taking that raw talent and adding structure to it.

Something a lot of people forget is that Vancouver have Joakim Eriksson in Utica as well. He was the SHLs best goaltender the last two years he played there and is also a very talented young goalie.

It really depends on what direction the Canucks end up going in. Are they trying to improve the team to compete for a playoff spot or are they entering a re-build? Lack and Markstrom if they decide to re-build. If they are pushing for a playoff spot they need to move one of them in order to bring in a more experienced guy, and that will most likely be Markstrom.

DeltaSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 08:00 PM
YourGM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Davos View Post
We want more then that for our remaining buyout.

Pitts has no buyouts left ?
No they have both buyouts, but Fleury has some value... His stats these playoffs are better than Quick, Bob, etc. I'd like to get something for someone we used the 1st overall pick on

YourGM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

I wish our GM would have said that...

Old
05-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Both those guys are legitimate starters. I doubt NJ or Florida would trade them though.
Wouldn't trade a 7th for Luongo.

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 08:06 PM
bossram

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post
I, like the majority of canucks fans are completely ok with running a lack/markstrom pairing next season.

With upgrades to the forward group rather than spending that cap space on goaltending.

Plus a new coach with a new voice and a defensive system that isn't a complete fire drill I think both lack and markstrom will be a lot better.
I'm ok with it because I think it will lead us to McDavid/Eichel. I like Lack but am not sold on him as starter. Markstrom is a complete crapshoot.

If Benning's prerogative is to make the playoffs, you'd think he has to upgrade the goaltending.

bossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Oates2Neely

Tim Thomas?

Familiarity

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 09:04 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
If we spend a stupid amount on goal instead of adding forwards, I am going to be very annoyed.
Canuck fans must either be laughing or crying. This time last year they had Luongo and Schneider. So being unable to move Luongo, they trade Schneider. I fully get and understand this. Then after not giving the heritage classic game to Luongo (which was beyond stupid), they then basically give him away. Now they have Markstrom who hasn't been great but is still young, and a decent young goalie in Eddie Lack... and there's basically nothing other than Hovat to show for either of them. Oh... and now they're talking about potentially signing a FA goalie.

Sorry Canuck fans... but what a gong show. At least the saving grace is that Gillis is gone.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Rumor on the Leafs board is that Bennings has always been a fan of Reimer.

He wouldn't cost much and at worst is an upgrade to the backup position and will create even more internal competition.

He could probably be had for a pick.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 09:11 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Rumor on the Leafs board is that Bennings has always been a fan of Reimer.

He wouldn't cost much and at worst is an upgrade to the backup position and will create even more internal competition.

He could probably be had for a pick.
Not sure that's realistic. Markstrom can't go to the minors without having to go through waivers. And based on his potential alone, I'm sure that someone would take a gamble on him.

Old
05-31-2014, 09:22 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF Punk View Post
We've had no reason to use a compliance buyout yet. We still have the two of them heading into this summer.
Maybe in your opinion, you have had no reason to use one.

But any GM would consider using one on MAF. Your new GM probably will

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 09:25 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:

If it works out great, if not we get Mcdavid

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 09:27 PM
BigNickBjugstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Canuck fans must either be laughing or crying. This time last year they had Luongo and Schneider. So being unable to move Luongo, they trade Schneider. I fully get and understand this. Then after not giving the heritage classic game to Luongo (which was beyond stupid), they then basically give him away. Now they have Markstrom who hasn't been great but is still young, and a decent young goalie in Eddie Lack... and there's basically nothing other than Hovat to show for either of them. Oh... and now they're talking about potentially signing a FA goalie.

Sorry Canuck fans... but what a gong show. At least the saving grace is that Gillis is gone.
Don't forget Matthias! Who I did like in Florida, but he's a 3rd line player (except in March for some reason).

BigNickBjugstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:00 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickBjugstad View Post
Don't forget Matthias! Who I did like in Florida, but he's a 3rd line player (except in March for some reason).
I like him... but he's a depth player. And honestly, he doesn't come close to making that trade even - it was still a poor trade, and one that didn't have to happen. Especially considering that they now need to shore up the goalie position.

Old
05-31-2014, 10:07 PM
94eleven
fka Loosemonkeys

I don't see the Canucks acquiring a goalie unless Markstrom or Lack are involved in the deal. They both need to clear waivers to go down, and neither would clear as someone would take a chance on either given ther potential.

I guess the other option is to sign a FA and trade one of them, but I can't imagine they would get much when teams know they would have to deal one.

94eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:14 PM
The Faulker

Cam Ward needs a new home. I think he still has something left in the tank and could be a solid starter after a fresh start.

Cam Ward 25% retained for a pick or prospect?

The Faulker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:14 PM
rypper

Quote:
I like him... but he's a depth player. And honestly, he doesn't come close to making that trade even - it was still a poor trade, and one that didn't have to happen. Especially considering that they now need to shore up the goalie position.
how did it not need to happen? you think luongo would be happy staying in the situation created by the former coach/gm?

Even if he hadn't have been benched at the heritage classic you know his heart was always in florida.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:26 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Davos View Post
What do you call the right price ? Id take him for 4 million over 2
2 million, but honestly, I would rather roll with Lack and Markstrom until the deadline. This is the first off season in years we'd have enough cap space to actually make a splash. I would rather keep Kesler, go cheap in net and add some of the aforementioned forwards. If Lack and/or Markstrom falter, we can address it through trade later.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:28 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 View Post
Wouldn't trade a 7th for Luongo.
Would trade a 6th for Schneids though

05-31-2014, 10:31 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:

Little of both, really. I fully supported (and still do) the Schneider trade, although I do believe we could have gotten slightly more. My qualm is more Gillis' reluctance to make a decision one way or another. He should have adamantly maintained both goalies were available. In the end, Torts is who soured Luongo on us completely and I somewhat wonder if Aqulini/Gillis made that trade as a favor for all the ******** he had to endure.

But what a disaster. The entire scenario could have played out the same expect way, except without all the drama if only it were handled better initially.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:34 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Ryan Miller will be the starting goalie in Vancouver is my guess

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:35 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

This is a year where the Canucks must go throw some growing pains

If they can sign a goalie then go for it

Vancouver is not in a position where they should be trading assets for netminding

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:43 PM
Lundface

Quote:
The trade didnt need to happen?

Did you miss Luongo going to the media and asking for trade after Schneider played 3 games in the playoffs? Diva wanted out, the only reason he didn't get out is===> no one wanted him.

The second Florida was stupid enough to offer any value for him was the second he was gone. Even if you think this was all because of the Heritage Classic game, and wasn't from him demanding to leave (only to Florida at that), his play leading up to that game was piss poor. He was an absolute disaster leading up to the Olympics,

Lack before that game
Let in 1 goal in a loss to Detroit
Lack started the few games after the Olympics
Let in 0 shutting out St Louis for a 1-0 win
Let in 1 losing in shoutout to Minny giving up 1 goal ( 6 of 7 saves in the shootout)

Luongo before that game
Let in 4 against Phoenix in a win
Let in 3 in a loss to Edmonton
Let in 4 in a loss to Chicago
Let in 3 in a loss to Boston
Let in 4 in a loss to Montreal
Let in 3 in a loss to Toronto

Tell everyone again how much Van needs Luongo. He was ripped on mercilessly as a member of the Canucks...but now somehow Van is at loss with him gone.

Lundface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:43 PM
Riptide

Quote:
how did it not need to happen? you think luongo would be happy staying in the situation created by the former coach/gm?

Even if he hadn't have been benched at the heritage classic you know his heart was always in florida.
Regardless of where his heart was, he wasn't causing issues after Schneider was traded. Then that yahoo benched him in one of the biggest reg season games he could have played in. The second he wasn't forced to be traded, his value might have been slightly higher. Or he could have just stayed and filled the role of being Vancouver's #1G for the next several seasons.