HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XIV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2014, 09:04 AM
  #201
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,923
vCash: 500
Any guesses on what next year's subliminally annoying commercial might be?

It's going to be another beer sponsor like Bud I think but hopefully no Pitbull! I don't think McDonald's or Wells Fargo will be the main ones...


Last edited by FreshPerspective: 06-04-2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: not Wachovia...
FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 09:08 AM
  #202
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Any guesses on what next year's subliminally annoying commercial might be?

It's going to be another beer sponsor like Bud I think but hopefully no Pitbull! I don't think McDonald's or Wachovia will be the main ones...



RJ8812* is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 09:10 AM
  #203
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,838
vCash: 500
Is that a fedora the asian is wearing? I don't understand why people wear those damn things........ they look like morons.

__________________
#RyanO'Reilly#SethJones
Prongo is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 09:13 AM
  #204
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,367
vCash: 500
Hipsters man. They're the cool kids and you're not... is what goes on in their heads.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 09:18 AM
  #205
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post


I'm hatin' it!

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 09:19 AM
  #206
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Hipsters man. They're the cool kids and you're not... is what goes on in their heads.
Who was the last person to wear one of notoriety? Frank Sinatra? 50 damn years ago.

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 09:20 AM
  #207
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Who was the last person to wear one of notoriety? Frank Sinatra? 50 damn years ago.
Probably. He was cool, though.

I just wear a Flyers hat. I think fedoras are the only hat that don't really serve much of a purpose.

Off-topic yay.

Go LA!

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 09:24 AM
  #208
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,838
vCash: 500
I'll be rooting for the Kings. Don't want either team because they aren't the Flyers but I have to pick, it's the Kings.

On a side note, love quick and his skill but also had an argument with a person about Drew Doughty. Man told me he was property of the Flyers before and we traded him. I was speechless, and told him if we ever had a prospect like him there is no way we would trade him. He played his whole career in LA and was drafted by them. He said that was debatable. I don't think you can debate facts like that.....

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 11:08 AM
  #209
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,838
vCash: 500
I can't understand how every young NHL or even AHL player is destined to become the next 60 point 1/2nd line tweener center but when Flyer fans say they see that potential with Couts we are mocked and told we are wrong? How the hell is this possible. Ryan Strome is the next great young center for the Islanders but has shown modest production at the NHL level. I understand he only played one year so far, but how is his value higher than Couts according to some?

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 11:17 AM
  #210
Bryz4shiz
Registered User
 
Bryz4shiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alhoa Oe
Posts: 3,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Hipsters man. They're the cool kids and you're not... is what goes on in their heads.
I don't think you've ever actually met any hipsters if you think they wear fedoras.

Only neckbeards wear fedoras

Bryz4shiz is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 11:26 AM
  #211
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 33,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryz4shiz View Post
I don't think you've ever actually met any hipsters if you think they wear fedoras.

Only neckbeards wear fedoras
You know, I still had to look up what a neckbeard was .

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 11:31 AM
  #212
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sewell NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,964
vCash: 50
Hipsters totally wear fedoras.

PALE PWNR is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 11:51 AM
  #213
Roman Reigns
Registered User
 
Roman Reigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I can't understand how every young NHL or even AHL player is destined to become the next 60 point 1/2nd line tweener center but when Flyer fans say they see that potential with Couts we are mocked and told we are wrong? How the hell is this possible. Ryan Strome is the next great young center for the Islanders but has shown modest production at the NHL level. I understand he only played one year so far, but how is his value higher than Couts according to some?
Honestly, I think some of those people know deep down that Couturier has great potential, but are doing their best to try and convince themselves differently, because they don't want to believe it. They don't want him to reach that potential because of the team he plays for. Bet you if he was on a team that was more liked and had people wishing them well, like say the Blue Jackets, they'd acknowledge his potential.

Then there's people who are stupid enough to just look at his numbers without any kind of context, see he's not putting up a ton of points and say ''bust''.

Roman Reigns is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 11:55 AM
  #214
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 13,418
vCash: 50
There's this one St Louis fan who posts negative nonsense in every main board thread about Couturier. How does a Blues fan get to be that way about a Flyers player? If it was a Pens fan at least that kind of irrational hatred would make some kind of sense.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 12:00 PM
  #215
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,838
vCash: 500
I believe the best thing for Couts next year is to get out to an extremely strong first 15-20 games. Maybe not ppg pace but somewhere around .75 and the non believers will finally stop with their nonsense. If he gives us 15-20 points in the first 20-25 games, I think we will finally see some respect for him as a two way specialist.

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 12:46 PM
  #216
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 10,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I believe the best thing for Couts next year is to get out to an extremely strong first 15-20 games. Maybe not ppg pace but somewhere around .75 and the non believers will finally stop with their nonsense. If he gives us 15-20 points in the first 20-25 games, I think we will finally see some respect for him as a two way specialist.
It's the zone starts that will determine this. All we need is a fourth line that can take a regular shift in the D zone. No more of the 6 minutes of ES that Hall and Rinaldo get. We need guys who can play 10 minutes a game with heavy D zone starts.

Chicago's Bollig-Kruger-Smith line made it possible for them to maximize the utility of their top six. Toews, the golden boy of HFboards, had the sixth least Dzone start percentage in the entire NHL. That's skewed partially because of how dominant Chicago is in general, but the point is, they didn't have to deploy Toews for almost all their D zone starts.

That's what we need, and hopefully that's what we'll get from Laughton. A Rasmussen-Laughton-Raffl fourth line would be all we need to get Couturier to break through offensively. He'd still get the heavy match ups, but he'd be getting much more offensive zone time with just a little more support.


EDIT: The importance of having a fourth line that can take those minutes really can't be overstated. In addition to Chicago, Boyle/Moore for NYR has given them so much flexibility with their top nine as well.

hockeyfreak7 is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 01:01 PM
  #217
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 36,016
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
It's the zone starts that will determine this. All we need is a fourth line that can take a regular shift in the D zone. No more of the 6 minutes of ES that Hall and Rinaldo get. We need guys who can play 10 minutes a game with heavy D zone starts.

Chicago's Bollig-Kruger-Smith line made it possible for them to maximize the utility of their top six. Toews, the golden boy of HFboards, had the sixth least Dzone start percentage in the entire NHL. That's skewed partially because of how dominant Chicago is in general, but the point is, they didn't have to deploy Toews for almost all their D zone starts.

That's what we need, and hopefully that's what we'll get from Laughton. A Rasmussen-Laughton-Raffl fourth line would be all we need to get Couturier to break through offensively. He'd still get the heavy match ups, but he'd be getting much more offensive zone time with just a little more support.


EDIT: The importance of having a fourth line that can take those minutes really can't be overstated. In addition to Chicago, Boyle/Moore for NYR has given them so much flexibility with their top nine as well.
I have been wanting a legit 4th line for years. Yet some are still ok with rolling out Shelley and Rinaldo ect ect. I am ok with having Hall on the 4th line but if you are bringing in Laughton then there is little need for him.
As long as Rinaldo is on this team then little is going to change. The organization loves him so I doubt some of the things that have been brought up will ever happen. I would love to see us have a 4th line like Chicago or Dallas. But until the organization changes how it feels about Rinaldo and is willing to change its philosophy on what a 4th line is going to be nothing is going to change.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 01:05 PM
  #218
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I have been wanting a legit 4th line for years. Yet some are still ok with rolling out Shelley and Rinaldo ect ect. I am ok with having Hall on the 4th line but if you are bringing in Laughton then there is little need for him.
As long as Rinaldo is on this team then little is going to change. The organization loves him so I doubt some of the things that have been brought up will ever happen. I would love to see us have a 4th line like Chicago or Dallas. But until the organization changes how it feels about Rinaldo and is willing to change its philosophy on what a 4th line is going to be nothing is going to change.
Homer loves Rinaldo, I don't think I remember Hextall talking about him ever. Rinaldo's time here is at it's end I hope. I was indifferent towards him but he doesn't supply enough out there to warrant being on the team anymore.

If we sign Rasmussen, I would be ecstatic. It would mean they are looking at him either on the third line(less likely) or 4th line(much more likely) and Laughton is ready to go. Raffl with them would give the Flyers an actual fourth line who can bang bodies, supply energy, win board battles, and chip in offensively. I was a Hall fan but he has too much trouble with speed. He can barely make the red line to dump the puck in and ices the puck. Speed is needed now and he just doesn't have that.

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 01:11 PM
  #219
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 13,418
vCash: 50
Meltzer also thinks Alderson could be up on the 4th line next season.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-Hits/45/60416

Quote:
* Every year, there is at least one minor league player whom no one has on their Flyers NHL roster radar screen who ends up making a serious push at training camp for a job with the big club. My prediction: File the name Brandon Alderson away as a potential bottom-six darkhorse at Flyers training camp in September.

The 22-year-old winger quietly put together a strong rookie season for the Phantoms this season. Although he was the least touted of the Phantoms rookies before the season, at least in comparison to Nick Cousins and Petr Straka, Alderson ended up being the most consistent of the three first-year players over the course of the season.

Even when the goals weren't coming for him, Alderson played the game the right way. He finished the year with 14 goals and 21 points in 71 games. As a line, the trio of Cousins, veteran acquisition Derek Whitmore and Alderson came on in the second half of the season. Straka also saw time with his fellow rookies.

During the Flyers abbreviated Stanley Cup playoff run, Alderson was one of the Black Aces added to the team's extended roster. When a rookie gets that honor, it is both a reward for a job well done and also a signal that the player could have upward mobility in the organization.

Alderson has worked on improving his two-way game; a must if he is going to forge an NHL spot for himself. Further development would help his cause immensely. The righthanded shooting winger showed this season that he can use his 6-foot-3 frame effectively to win puck battles.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 01:16 PM
  #220
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Homer loves Rinaldo, I don't think I remember Hextall talking about him ever. Rinaldo's time here is at it's end I hope. I was indifferent towards him but he doesn't supply enough out there to warrant being on the team anymore.

If we sign Rasmussen, I would be ecstatic. It would mean they are looking at him either on the third line(less likely) or 4th line(much more likely) and Laughton is ready to go. Raffl with them would give the Flyers an actual fourth line who can bang bodies, supply energy, win board battles, and chip in offensively. I was a Hall fan but he has too much trouble with speed. He can barely make the red line to dump the puck in and ices the puck. Speed is needed now and he just doesn't have that.
I am not a Rinaldo fan and would love to see them upgrade on him but is really that big of a detriment?

if they have Laughton centering with Rafl would Rinaldo be that much of a drag? I would rather have a guy that can pitch in some goals but Rinaldo definitely has speed. A guy like McGinn doesn't skate as well but can bury chance when he gets it might not be that bad of an option.

lancer247 is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 01:21 PM
  #221
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I am not a Rinaldo fan and would love to see them upgrade on him but is really that big of a detriment?

if they have Laughton centering with Rafl would Rinaldo be that much of a drag? I would rather have a guy that can pitch in some goals but Rinaldo definitely has speed. A guy like McGinn doesn't skate as well but can bury chance when he gets it might not be that bad of an option.
Rinaldo has speed and that's about it. He will make the big hit occasionally but more so take the dumb penalty more then often. I think his value is at an all time low, he can stay around as the 13th forward but I want an actual fourth line. Gone are the days we have heavy weights throwing at each other, we need skilled but energy players down there. Players that can play in every facet of the game and not have to worry about offensive production.

Prongo is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 02:06 PM
  #222
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I have been wanting a legit 4th line for years. Yet some are still ok with rolling out Shelley and Rinaldo ect ect. I am ok with having Hall on the 4th line but if you are bringing in Laughton then there is little need for him.
As long as Rinaldo is on this team then little is going to change. The organization loves him so I doubt some of the things that have been brought up will ever happen. I would love to see us have a 4th line like Chicago or Dallas. But until the organization changes how it feels about Rinaldo and is willing to change its philosophy on what a 4th line is going to be nothing is going to change.
If Hextall is genuine with his talk about using analytics, Rinaldo's time in Philly is over.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 02:15 PM
  #223
Funf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
It's the zone starts that will determine this. All we need is a fourth line that can take a regular shift in the D zone. No more of the 6 minutes of ES that Hall and Rinaldo get. We need guys who can play 10 minutes a game with heavy D zone starts.

Chicago's Bollig-Kruger-Smith line made it possible for them to maximize the utility of their top six. Toews, the golden boy of HFboards, had the sixth least Dzone start percentage in the entire NHL. That's skewed partially because of how dominant Chicago is in general, but the point is, they didn't have to deploy Toews for almost all their D zone starts.

That's what we need, and hopefully that's what we'll get from Laughton. A Rasmussen-Laughton-Raffl fourth line would be all we need to get Couturier to break through offensively. He'd still get the heavy match ups, but he'd be getting much more offensive zone time with just a little more support.


EDIT: The importance of having a fourth line that can take those minutes really can't be overstated. In addition to Chicago, Boyle/Moore for NYR has given them so much flexibility with their top nine as well.
Absolutely - and some more PP time. We need to get that 2nd unit figured out, and get Couts some experience and confidence. If Schenn improves, and learns how to battle and retrieve pucks better, I can see him taking Hartnell's slot on the #1 unit, and hopefully Streit moves up as well. Gives us the opportunity to completely revamp it, and slot Couts wherever, really.

I think the biggest thing is his confidence on the PP - but how can you gain confidence if you don't get the playing time? Hopefully Berube doesn't see him as having to "earn" the ice time, any more than he already has with his stellar defensive play.

A better defense that can move the puck out of our zone more often would also help. We need the whole team to take less defensive zone draws in general.

Funf is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 02:24 PM
  #224
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
It's the zone starts that will determine this. All we need is a fourth line that can take a regular shift in the D zone. No more of the 6 minutes of ES that Hall and Rinaldo get. We need guys who can play 10 minutes a game with heavy D zone starts.

Chicago's Bollig-Kruger-Smith line made it possible for them to maximize the utility of their top six. Toews, the golden boy of HFboards, had the sixth least Dzone start percentage in the entire NHL. That's skewed partially because of how dominant Chicago is in general, but the point is, they didn't have to deploy Toews for almost all their D zone starts.

That's what we need, and hopefully that's what we'll get from Laughton. A Rasmussen-Laughton-Raffl fourth line would be all we need to get Couturier to break through offensively. He'd still get the heavy match ups, but he'd be getting much more offensive zone time with just a little more support.
This is a really good/interesting post. Thank you.

Flyotes is offline  
Old
06-04-2014, 03:12 PM
  #225
flyershockey
Registered User
 
flyershockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,991
vCash: 500
Having a capable fourth line could be the difference between Couturier's offense breaking out or not next year. Just an easing of the defensive minutes would do wonders for his line. That's why I hope Laughton gets a couple of capable defensive options as his wing. Rinaldo isn't that.

flyershockey is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.