HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nick Baptiste signs ELC

Old
05-31-2014, 09:40 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Any reason for signing him now?

Is it they're just that confident about him or are there some tangible benefits of getting it done now ?
He had a positive year, so may as well sign him and get it out of the way.
He also gets a nice chunk of change in the form of a signing bonus.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:15 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:

Is it they're just that confident about him or are there some tangible benefits of getting it done now ?
To me, if you're definitely going to sign a guy, do it early. He gets the signing bonus, which is a favor to the player. The contract spot isn't going to matter this year and you'd have to add him next year anyhow. Aside from it being good for your relationship with the player, it also eliminates the remote possibility that a guy decides "F this, I'm re-entering the draft/reaching free agency". I mean, that wasn't gonna happen, but since you know you're going to sign him to an ELC, there's no reason not to do it now and alleviate that tiny risk.

The guys you don't sign to ELC's before you have to are guys like Austin and Nelson.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:20 PM
CreemoreSprings
buffalo, you?

Love it, he's a guy I wanted going into the draft.

CreemoreSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:43 PM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I'd rather have Rychel as well, not to say I'm not extremely happy that we have Baptiste. I didn't know much about him last year but I saw quite a bit of him this year, especially after the trade to Guelph due to Fabbri-watching and the playoffs/Memorial Cup. He has a really well-rounded offensive game to go with size, giving him a great pro package. I really like his instincts; he reads the game well, makes good passes, etc. Baptiste has him beat in the North-South game but I'd take Rychel over him in established offensive possessions.
Hockeys future put Baptiste as the 7th top winger prospect among drafted players in the OHL. Rychel was 10th. They had pretty equivalent seasons in some regards (Rychel had more ppg, but had much better teammates with him which showed is assists, Baptiste was the better goal scorer). Baptiste is a year younger and easily the better skater and defensive player. Rychel has some great instincts with the puck that just cannot be taught though.

Both are too young yet to say who will be better, but the gap, if there is one, is pretty small, maybe even in Baptistes favor.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 10:52 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Hockeys future put Baptiste as the 7th top winger prospect among drafted players in the OHL. Rychel was 10th. They had pretty equivalent seasons in some regards (Rychel had more ppg, but had much better teammates with him which showed is assists, Baptiste was the better goal scorer). Baptiste is a year younger and easily the better skater and defensive player. Rychel has some great instincts with the puck that just cannot be taught though.

Both are too young yet to say who will be better, but the gap, if there is one, is pretty small, maybe even in Baptistes favor.
I agree that they're right there with each other. I love Baptiste and would hate to trade him. I just think Rychel's a guy who can really add a lot to one of your top 2 lines.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 12:33 AM
ZeroPT
#23 Futurum

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Why?This isn't like expecting a 7th round pick to become a ppg player because he had a great year in junior.Baptiste was an early 3rd in one of the best drafts in the last 20 years, what do you expect him to be then?A guy struggling to score 10 goals on a 4th line?25 goals is hardly some lofty goal for a player.HF itself even gives him a 7.0 rating which is equivalent to a 2nd liner.Last time I checked, 25 goals is pretty common for 2nd line forwards.He was over a ppg at the u18s,had a great year in Sudbury and by all accounts is one of the best winger prospects we have aside from Armia.

HF called him our prospect of the year along with most improved.Hoping that Baptiste becomes a 25 goal scorer when he fully develops is not impossible.Going by what the scouts and reports say about him anyway is that he isn't that great of a 2 way player as it is, so how else is he going to make it in the NHL?Most bottom 6 forwards are at least adequate defensively.He is going to have to score some goals to make it as a regular.As he doesn't turn 19 until August,give him another year in the O,bring him up to Rochester in 2015, and hopefully he is able to compete for a top 12 forward spot with the Sabres by 2017 when he would be 22.
I never said it was impossible.

He's played well for one whole season, I want to see more from him before I make lofty projections like you did. Just my 0.02$

I also think he's lacking the hockey sense to be a consistent top 6 forward. Also, using HF rankings to evaluate a prospect and a player's skill is silly at best imo

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 12:43 AM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
I never said it was impossible.

He's played well for one whole season, I want to see more from him before I make lofty projections like you did.

I also think he's lacking the hockey sense to be a consistent top 6 forward.
Lofty projections would be thinking 30+ goals a season or 70+ points a year. I'll be happy if he turns into a steady 25-25-50 guy. That is virtually Staffords production per 82 games, and Stafford is a decent 2nd liner. From how he did this season and with all the major scouting pundits and publications I would say 25 goals a season is a fair possibly conservative projection. What DJP said about the Simmons comparison is actually what HF has him as. If he can put up 25 goals, 50 points and 150+ hits a season and I will be happy. He obviously has increased his stock immensely and like I said he was a high 3rd in a great draft anyway so obviously he does possess that type of talent. He would probably be a high 2nd round pick in this draft just going off his 12-13 season and not this year. And yes he played well for one whole season but it's not like he did poorly his rookie season. Not to say Nb is even comparable to Dal Colle or Bennett but you can apply that same exact mantra to them, because Bennett only put up 40 points to go with his monster year this year and the same with Dal Colle. Most 18 year olds only have one good season at that stage, it's when they are 19 and 20 if they are an overager where they would have the multiple high end seasons under their belt.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 12:46 AM
Jacob582

I can't imagine that too many players taken after the 2nd round in 2013 have signed this early.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 12:55 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
I can't imagine that too many players taken after the 2nd round in 2013 have signed this early.
Going down the draft order of the third round, here are the players that have already signed: Jonathan-Ismael Diaby, Keegan Kanzig, Connor Crisp, Anthony Duclair, Kurtis Gabriel, Carter Verhaeghe, Bogdan Yakimov, Cole Cassels, Sven Andrighetto, Oliver Bjorkstrand, J.C. Lipon

Old
06-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Djp

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post

If you are drafted in the 3rd round or higher and you demonstrate growth/improvement in the following year then the team should sign the player and not risk the player improving even further and opting instead to re enter the draft and likely get a higher signing bonus/salary.

Another reason they signed him is that have confidence in him and think he can challenge for the team next year. He was one of the better players during the summer last year which was a bit of a surprise.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 10:50 AM
jawallstar1
NHL Draft "Expert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
If you are drafted in the 3rd round or higher and you demonstrate growth/improvement in the following year then the team should sign the player and not risk the player improving even further and opting instead to re enter the draft and likely get a higher signing bonus/salary.

Another reason they signed him is that have confidence in him and think he can challenge for the team next year. He was one of the better players during the summer last year which was a bit of a surprise.
And since he signed as an 19 year old (his age as of 9/15/14) he is also eligible for Slide-Risk assuming he doesn't make the squad this year. So really, this 3-year deal can and probably will become a 4-year deal.

jawallstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 02:37 PM
jfb392

Quote:

You're reading too much into it.
It probably got done now because Murray was in contact with his agent at some point recently, whether it was to sign prospects before the deadline or at the Combine.
Baptiste could have easily just come up in conversation and both sides decided they wanted it, so it got done.
Worrying over signing bonuses and whether the player will sign or not is pointless, as all amounts are capped and CHL players rarely opt to re-enter of their own volition because they have less leverage than NCAA players.

I really doubt that he makes the team next year.
I can't remember the last time a player chosen in the third round in his first year of draft eligibility made the NHL with junior eligibility remaining.
He'll get some preseason games and then be sent down.

Old
06-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1000
Quote:

If he was unsigned and put up monster numbers next season his agent might get ideas that Buffalo isn't the best place for him. He could use the threat of reentering the draft or going to Europe as leverage to force a trade. It's highly unlikely but why take even small risks that can be avoided?

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
You're reading too much into it.
It probably got done now because Murray was in contact with his agent at some point recently, whether it was to sign prospects before the deadline or at the Combine.
Baptiste could have easily just come up in conversation and both sides decided they wanted it, so it got done.
Worrying over signing bonuses and whether the player will sign or not is pointless, as all amounts are capped and CHL players rarely opt to re-enter of their own volition because they have less leverage than NCAA players.

I really doubt that he makes the team next year.
I can't remember the last time a player chosen in the third round in his first year of draft eligibility made the NHL with junior eligibility remaining.
He'll get some preseason games and then be sent down.

Im not saying he makes the team----Im saying he gets a few games before being sent down. It gives him a great deal of experience and understand what NHL game is like and gives him a goal to set.

I know with agents and the combine such deals are talked at this time. I was expecting this to happen this summer---could have been at the combine, at the draft, or during one of the rookie camps. He is the type of player you dont want to risk losing by waiting till May 2015 to sign him.

Players will opt to go back into the draft if they feel like they wont have a realistic shot to make the NHL given their position played and the teams depth.

For example if I'm a center in the Colorado system who got drafted and I improve and I think I can be a solid 2nd line center at least. I look at what they have and Im thinking there is no chance in hell I can get 2nd line minutes. This hurts my development and it hurts my career earning potential.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 07:06 PM
26CornerBlitz

@coreypronman

Good, not great prospect. Very good skater, playes hard, has skill. RT @popo: @coreypronman thoughts on Nick Baptiste (signed ELC w/BUF)?

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 07:15 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Im not saying he makes the team----Im saying he gets a few games before being sent down. It gives him a great deal of experience and understand what NHL game is like and gives him a goal to set.

I know with agents and the combine such deals are talked at this time. I was expecting this to happen this summer---could have been at the combine, at the draft, or during one of the rookie camps. He is the type of player you dont want to risk losing by waiting till May 2015 to sign him.

Players will opt to go back into the draft if they feel like they wont have a realistic shot to make the NHL given their position played and the teams depth.

For example if I'm a center in the Colorado system who got drafted and I improve and I think I can be a solid 2nd line center at least. I look at what they have and Im thinking there is no chance in hell I can get 2nd line minutes. This hurts my development and it hurts my career earning potential.
I'd be pretty surprised if he gets any NHL games this year, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how he does in camp. I think he'd really have to blow our socks off to be on the NHL roster for any amount of time this year.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 07:39 PM
CreemoreSprings
buffalo, you?

I doubt he gets any games...he'll be with his team in Sudbury. I don't know if he had a letter this year but he most likely will this upcoming year as the focal point in the Wolves offence.

I don't even think he'll be at Sabres training camp..

CreemoreSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:04 PM
wayfaringstranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I doubt he gets any games...he'll be with his team in Sudbury. I don't know if he had a letter this year but he most likely will this upcoming year as the focal point in the Wolves offence.

He wore an A for Sudbury last year.

wayfaringstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 07:01 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post

Agreed he will be in Sudbury for the year, but should be at training camp. He was the best Sabre at the rookie camp and the Traverse tourney last year. If he does the same this year there is likely little choice but invite him.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Zip15

Quote:
I think he gets 5-7 NHL games before he is sent down.
Quote:

You're out to lunch. No chance he sees the light of a regular season game next year. After all the Murray/Nolan talk about developing players properly, and you're thinking that the organization is going to have a 3rd rounder leave a year of junior eligibility on the table and have him skip the AHL entirely?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Good to see the risk mitigation by having him signed now rather than waiting another season where he could possible threaten to go back into the draft -- not that he has or would. Good kid, glad he's in the pipeline.

06-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Jacob582

capgeek.com

Cap Hit: $740,000
AAV: $900,000 (includes p. bonuses)

Last edited by Jacob582: 06-02-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote