HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League 2013-14 Part IX - Free Agency Madness

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2014, 11:34 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think we're going to see a crazy summer of activity.
I surmise the same.

Old
06-07-2014, 12:02 AM
Alisa
Quickie fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
No, no, no, he's going to the Sharks. Aren't they the favorite to come out of the West every year? Am I rite???

Old
06-07-2014, 12:35 AM
Trolfoli

There are some big names up that have been talked about ... Phanuf and Letang as well as the Kesler, Thornton, Speeza... oh yeah Stastny lotto

Van has to make a decision if they want to be competitive or if they want to rebuild... Kesler hangs in the balance, won't stick around for a rebuild. Anyone else hurt that the Kings weren't on his 6 team trade list. and Lack?

Sharks. Looking to shake things up and who knows how possibly letting someone like Thornton go will affect them... and Goalie issues Staylock didn't get enough games and is UFA

Ducks. Losing Selanne and is Koivu done as well? Selanne on a 3rd line is huge. He wasn't what he was early in his career, but he is still a scoring threat that was huge for the Ducks at a cheap cap hit. Oh yeah and Goalie issues. Anderson/Gibson

Will be interesting off season..

I may be crazy, but I could see Edm making a serious push for the playoffs next year. At least 3 from the division make the playoffs and who knows what will happen Van/Sharks/Ducks... all have ?'s in goal.

Old
06-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Reclamation Project
Why don't you just..

Meh, Koivu wasn't that big of a loss.

Old
06-07-2014, 12:48 AM
Trolfoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Meh, Koivu wasn't that big of a loss.
That's true on Koivu.. but is Scrivens the most established of Lack, Staylock, Anderson/Gibson... ok probably not, but I'm still laughing.

Old
06-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Reclamation Project
Why don't you just..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolfoli View Post
That's true on Koivu.. but is Scrivens the most established of Lack, Staylock, Anderson/Gibson... ok probably not, but I'm still laughing.
I remember during our series, Ducks fans basically wanted to throw Koivu off the team. Really amusing.

Old
06-07-2014, 02:23 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Bylsma fired. Just a ****** way of doing business. Leave the guy hanging for 21 days before firing him? Meanwhile coaching vacancies are being filled that he could have applied for.

The Penguins org is an embarrassment.
And I freakin love it! Hope they crash and burn forever, nothing makes more happier then seeing the Pens go south for another mellinium!

Old
06-07-2014, 11:55 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

The Sharks are in an interesting position right now. There was an excellent article in JFTC about it a few weeks back: http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...n-joses-window

Their point was basically that despite their playoff failures, guys like Thornton and Marleau have made them an elite team in the regular season for years, and they continue to drive play. There is no way shipping one or both of them out will bring back a comparable return, so the Sharks will almost certainly get worse if they do that. It's hard to know if their lack of playoff success has been some essential factor missing in their games, or if it has simply been bad luck. I mean, even the best team probably has no more than a 20% chance of winning all the series, and it's easy to over-interpret playoff results. We are the darlings of the league right now, but a few bounces here and there could have had us talking about all the holes we have.

To me, the Sharks either need to give it another go with the same squad, or tear it down completely and ship out EVERYBODY, and plan for a five year rebuild. Of course, that's a difficult thing to do with the regular season record they've had.

Old
06-07-2014, 02:44 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
Brodeur to test Free Agency

I guess he's going to Chicago or coming here
That's not a surprise, I think he knows this is his last year an wants one more shot at a Cup. There aren't too many teams that are contenders that need a goalie, but the Pens might be one. MAF for me, won't get it done in Pitts, there's like a bad karma over him in the playoffs there, esp given the odds are against him not playing the Flyers (his kryptonite) again. He'd be better off, fresh start , new team ,out west
I wonder how Rutherford see that situation. But having a guy like Broduer as a backup wouldn't be bad.

And one of the hockey podcast I was listening to last night said that both Kane and Toewes are expected to get close to 9.5 each. I get they are vital to the teams success but boy that's hard to fit , I guess it means other positions will suffer.
Other things mentioned in that light were the Pens still interested inKesler, although they have CAP issues for next year and someone would have to go to make room for his 5M. The other team that was mentioned was the RedWings. They hinted that the Canucks will most likely trade him EAst but the price remains high, An 'established' center no older than 25, a top prospect and a pick.
Vanek is moving on, Callahan wants to stay in TB and his agent is working on a deal, and the Leafs might be interested in Thorton (which surprised me, I felt they'd go younger for a center)

Old
06-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
And one of the hockey podcast I was listening to last night said that both Kane and Toewes are expected to get close to 9.5 each. I get they are vital to the teams success but boy that's hard to fit , I guess it means other positions will suffer.
That is the way things go in a cap league, that is why Sharp is probably moved sooner than later. The cap kind of screws over good teams, but the league wants parity. The Kings will be in a similar spot in a few years with Kopitar and Doughty making close to those kinds of numbers.

Old
06-07-2014, 03:14 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 50
I don't think you'll ever see a number like $9.5 on any of the kings thankfully. Heck, I'd be surprised if anyone made 8M.

Old
06-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
I don't think you'll ever see a number like $9.5 on any of the kings thankfully. Heck, I'd be surprised if anyone made 8M.
What do you think Drew Doughty will make when he hits UFA in four years?

If he hit UFA tomorrow he would be able to command what Weber is making, easily, which is $8 million.

You don't think he will be worth 9+ in a few seasons, even if the cap only goes up with standard inflation?

Old
06-07-2014, 03:25 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
What do you think Drew Doughty will make when he hits UFA in four years?

If he hit UFA tomorrow he would be able to command what Weber is making, easily, which is $8 million.

You don't think he will be worth 9+ in a few seasons, even if the cap only goes up with standard inflation?
It doesn't matter what his FMV at the time of his FA. If he wants to remain a king, he will take less. That's a small price to pay to be a part of the "winning culture" that Lombardi has created. It isn't ALWAYS about most $$$, but rather where you're most happy at.

Old
06-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
It doesn't matter what his FMV at the time of his FA. If he wants to remain a king, he will take less. That's a small price to pay to be a part of the "winning culture" that Lombardi has created. It isn't ALWAYS about most $$$, but rather where you're most happy at.
You don't think Chicago has created a culture of winning and the players aren't happy there?

I know you think everyone is going to take below market value to stay with the Kings, but what happens when someone like Kopitar, Doughty or in Chicago's case Kane and Toews want to be paid market value. Do you think those teams should move on from those players?

Old
06-07-2014, 03:31 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
You don't think Chicago has created a culture of winning and the players aren't happy there?

I know you think everyone is going to take below market value to stay with the Kings, but what happens when someone like Kopitar, Doughty or in Chicago's case Kane and Toews want to be paid market value. Do you think those teams should move on from those players?
No, I don't think everyone's going to take a hometown discount. I've already said Amart will be wanting more money, and he's someone that I could see leaving. But it also has to do with him wanting to be a bigger part of the team, rather being relegated to being the bottom pairing on the kings.

Old
06-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
No, I don't think everyone's going to take a hometown discount. I've already said Amart will be wanting more money, and he's someone that I could see leaving. But it also has to do with him wanting to be a bigger part of the team, rather being relegated to being the bottom pairing on the kings.
Well you really didn't answer the question.

If Kopitar and Doughty want market value contracts would you really be willing to walk away from them because of some glass salary ceiling that you think exists for individual players.

If you were in charge in Chicago would you really let Kane and Toews walk rather than pay them 9-10 million?

Old
06-07-2014, 03:41 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Well you really didn't answer the question.

If Kopitar and Doughty want market value contracts would you really be willing to walk away from them because of some glass salary ceiling that you think exists for individual players.

If you were in charge in Chicago would you really let Kane and Toews walk rather than pay them 9-10 million?
It would really depend on our cap situation at the time. If giving DD and Kopi their FMV means breaking up the winning culture that Lombardi has created, then yeah, we would need to part ways, but I really don't see that happening. I don't think our players are that selfish.

Old
06-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Quattro

Quote:
I think the issue is if I were a Chicago fan, I would hope guys like that would take a bit less so they could maintain a better team around them.

They aren't expected or required to do that but that's how you hope your heart and soul guys would act.

Old
06-07-2014, 03:58 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
That is the way things go in a cap league, that is why Sharp is probably moved sooner than later. The cap kind of screws over good teams, but the league wants parity. The Kings will be in a similar spot in a few years with Kopitar and Doughty making close to those kinds of numbers.
And what the market value, the GM's, decide what is 'fair' and esp (In recent years) for non top tier D. I get that D are often at a premium, but overpaying for bottom 3 D drives the prices up for the top D.

I was angry when the Macdonald rumors started, that Homer wanted him. We already had a shot blocking D in Grossman who was okay at his 3.5. Tough guy, good for the job he does. I was furious when Homer gave MacDonald 5 mill x 6 years. Blocks more shots than anybody in the NHL because he's on the ice for more shots (and was with the FLyers). for the Flyers, he was 4% against the Rush and that was protected minutes, general not facing top 6 players. That's 96% that go past him and thus he has to block shots. That was money that should have been put toward getting an actual top D, which they still need.

ANd him getting 5 M means there are agents out there using that for leverage.

Old
06-07-2014, 04:44 PM
tsanuri

I think what Kopi signs for really depends on what Toews signs for. We can look at what Getzlaf signed for knowing that it is under the new CBA. Drew is so far down the line still it's not even worth speculating.

Old
06-07-2014, 06:23 PM
takk

vCash: 1000
Bahahaha, did anyone see Bernier's new haircut? The guy looks like a neo-nazi.

Old
06-07-2014, 07:22 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by takk View Post
Bahahaha, did anyone see Bernier's new haircut? The guy looks like a neo-nazi.
BRB, using imagination since no pics.

Old
06-07-2014, 07:59 PM
takk

vCash: 1000
Pic from his twitter: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bpf1KMJIYAERGxd.jpg

Old
06-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Reclamation Project
Why don't you just..

Jenson Button.

Old
06-08-2014, 01:27 AM
TheSentinel

*plugs Hus ears with his fingers* lala lala lala lala Doughty will not leave The Kings

Closed Thread