HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential Offseason Acquisitions II

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Bryz4shiz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post

Kings fans have been on King's case for most of the year, and Clifford is a fourth liner who happened to score last night so you show up to talk him up. I agree that changes need to be made to the fourth line, but Matt Read is the last friggen winger they should be looking to move because of his versatility, two way play and minimal cap hit.
Not really a fan of King at all.

Outside of Voracek, Read is the Flyers most important winger. If he gets moved it should be for a really important piece.

Old
06-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Flyers see him as a center.

Team Canada sees him as a center.

He sees himself as a center.
Well than, if he wants to see himself in the NHL for any extended period of time he's going to have to get a lot better at being a center.

Old
06-05-2014, 08:52 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryz4shiz View Post
Not really a fan of King at all.

Outside of Voracek, Read is the Flyers most important winger. If he gets moved it should be for a really important piece.
Pretty much how I feel. He's one of those guys you miss a lot when he's gone, even if he doesn't stand out every night. He doesn't get enough credit for how important he is to the Couturier line.

Old
06-05-2014, 08:54 AM
hatcher

Quote:
Get rid of Read? Get a grip bud.

Kings fans have been on King's case for most of the year, and Clifford is a fourth liner who happened to score last night so you show up to talk him up. I agree that changes need to be made to the fourth line, but Matt Read is the last friggen winger they should be looking to move because of his versatility, two way play and minimal cap hit.
I'm just sayin I think he is bland and doesn't forecheck the way that is needed to be a powerful 3rd line. Read could probably fetch us something really good with Raffl sliding up into his hole. King and Clifford are big body's that play that way and are solid 2way players that would add size and possession time for our team that read does not but has a better shot.

Old
06-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Well than, if he wants to see himself in the NHL for any extended period of time he's going to have to get a lot better at being a center.
Yeah, he'll be out of the league soon if he doesn't get a lot better....

Old
06-05-2014, 09:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Even if Richards wanted to come back here the Flyers don't have the cap space to make it happen. On the open market his cap hit could actually end up going up (although for shorter term obviously).

Winnik is definitely a guy the Flyers could use. If Hall isn't resigned McClement would be a nice piece. I also wouldn't mind seeing Powe given a tryout for the 4th line/Allentown.
I would be all over that. He's like Rinaldo but less insane and better defensively. A fourth line with Powe and Rinaldo would be very difficult to play against.

Old
06-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Curufinwe

In the AHL, maybe.

Old
06-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Bryz4shiz

Like I said he might not have it in him to make it back with the big club full time, but he's fast, hits hard, can PK, and I've always thought if you cut Asham's hands off and gave them to Powe you'd have a 2nd liner!

Old
06-05-2014, 09:13 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
In the AHL, maybe.
I think Powe and Rinaldo on the wings would create problems for other teams. They both hit hard, are relatively quick, and Powe actually plays solid defense. They won't light the scoreboard up, but teams might not be as willing to go into the boards against that line, and if they do they will have to pay a price. I know that for some reason physicality is sometimes scoffed at as a thing of the past, but hitting hard gets into guys' heads. You don't need 12 forwards going crazy out there, but having Powe and Rinaldo on a line would not be a walk in the park for opposing teams.

Old
06-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Bryz4shiz

I don't think you'd want Powe and Rinaldo on the same team, much less the same line. It would just be a little redundant.

Old
06-05-2014, 09:19 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I don't think you'd want Powe and Rinaldo on the same team, much less the same line. It would just be a little redundant.
Meh, pretty much all fourth liners are going to be redundant. I'd roll with it.

Old
06-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think Powe and Rinaldo on the wings would create problems for other teams. They both hit hard, are relatively quick, and Powe actually plays solid defense. They won't light the scoreboard up, but teams might not be as willing to go into the boards against that line, and if they do they will have to pay a price. I know that for some reason physicality is sometimes scoffed at as a thing of the past, but hitting hard gets into guys' heads. You don't need 12 forwards going crazy out there, but having Powe and Rinaldo on a line would not be a walk in the park for opposing teams.

Powe? Yes. Great hitter who can PK and play good defense.

Rinaldo? No. Great hitter who sucks at everything else.

06-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Curufinwe

The Rangers had half a dozen fourth liners who were better than Powe this season.

Old
06-05-2014, 09:24 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatcher View Post
I'm just sayin I think he is bland and doesn't forecheck the way that is needed to be a powerful 3rd line. Read could probably fetch us something really good with Raffl sliding up into his hole. King and Clifford are big body's that play that way and are solid 2way players that would add size and possession time for our team that read does not but has a better shot.
If you want to turn the the bottom six into an offensive black hole and completely stunt Couturier's offensive development, then fine, guys like Clifford and King are who we should target in place of guys like Read.

Old
06-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
The Rangers had half a dozen fourth liners who were better than Powe this season.
Yeah, I'm assuming we're talking Powe before that major concussion.

Old
06-05-2014, 09:26 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I would definitely take Powe back if he was interested. Guy was fast, heavy hitter, and solid defensively. He's a great 4th liner and he won't break the bank.

Old
06-05-2014, 09:28 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Meh, pretty much all fourth liners are going to be redundant. I'd roll with it.
Fourth lines don't have to be redundant though. The Rangers fourth line of Boyle-Moore-Dorsett has been a huge asset for them. We should be looking to build a fourth line like that instead of wasting ice time with guys like Rinaldo and Powe that bring nothing to the table.

Old
06-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Bryz4shiz

I totally forgot about the concussion. Still worth giving him a tryout though.

Old
06-05-2014, 09:44 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetee15 View Post
well said. every just loves the new shiny toy, from what i read some scouts don't even have him cracking nhl line ups. **** if mike richards wants to sign for 3M and play bottom 6 minutes im cool with that, but Vinny would have to be dealt, and we would be 100% giving up on schenn, and im not sure im cool with that yet, if schenn signs for a good price and doesn't want a retarded number id give him until the trade deadline before id consider him trade bait. unless the flyers get blown away in a deal with him for a stud dman "i dont see that happening this summer" that being said i dont hate the get rid of Vinny/Schenn idea if you're gonna give Stastny a contract because that would be a very skilled 1/2 punch up the middle.
Nhl scouts? Link please? Most people that talked about him stated he is NHL ready and could play on the 4th line. If they come out and say he has a good chance of making it (see the exact same thing with Read and Raffl) then you can add him in (really easy to replace Rinaldo)

That being said, unless I missed aomething, he still is not a Flyer so...

Old
06-05-2014, 09:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Powe? Yes. Great hitter who can PK and play good defense.

Rinaldo? No. Great hitter who sucks at everything else.
Meh, the Rinaldo (and Rinaldo-esque guys) debate will rage on forever. I like that type of player. I don't want a team full of Rinaldos, but one or two on the fourth line ain't bad in my eyes.

Quote:
Fourth lines don't have to be redundant though. The Rangers fourth line of Boyle-Moore-Dorsett has been a huge asset for them. We should be looking to build a fourth line like that instead of wasting ice time with guys like Rinaldo and Powe that bring nothing to the table.
I've got nothing against having a line like that, but it is easier said than done. Those are all guys who could in all likelihood be 3rd liners and they are all under $2 million. If we could find those guys and fit them under the cap...I'd be all for it. But most teams don't have that luxury for one reason or another. Boyle and Moore will likely get raises and could play 3rd line minutes on another team if they go UFA. Powe and Rinaldo are guys you get for under $1 million and they on the 4th line. If there are guys out there better, I'm not opposed to going after them, but it is a lot easier said than done.

Which is why I said for the most part, 4th liners are all redundant. They are guys who can play solid defense or guys who play with an edge. On some teams they are better, on others they are worse. But for the most part, they are what they are.

Old
06-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Prongo
Beer

What is it with our nostalgia for former players. I wouldnt go near powe or Richards if they are available. We need to get over the fact that Richards isn't the player he used to be. Slow and worn down from the style he plays. Powe isn't anything special, if we were going that way I rather one of our young players from inside the organization take that spot.

Rasmussen is talked a lot here because he is in the same mold as Raffl, where people think he could come over and help with his play right away or sometime next season. He has size, skill,speed and can play PK. Excellent work ethic and doesn't quit on plays. Who doesn't want to try that on the 4th line. We know what powe brings already if that anymore.

Raffl-Laughton - Rasmussen wouldn't make don cherry to happy with our fourth line but I would be willing to role the dice with it

Old
06-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Meh, the Rinaldo (and Rinaldo-esque guys) debate will rage on forever. I like that type of player. I don't want a team full of Rinaldos, but one or two on the fourth line ain't bad in my eyes.

I've got nothing against having a line like that, but it is easier said than done. Those are all guys who could in all likelihood be 3rd liners and they are all under $2 million. If we could find those guys and fit them under the cap...I'd be all for it. But most teams don't have that luxury for one reason or another. Boyle and Moore will likely get raises and could play 3rd line minutes on another team if they go UFA. Powe and Rinaldo are guys you get for under $1 million and they on the 4th line. If there are guys out there better, I'm not opposed to going after them, but it is a lot easier said than done.

Which is why I said for the most part, 4th liners are all redundant. They are guys who can play solid defense or guys who play with an edge. On some teams they are better, on others they are worse. But for the most part, they are what they are.
You'll never see a Rinaldo on a team deep enough to contend for the Cup.

Remember that awesome 4th line in 09-10? That doesn't work with Rinaldo on the line, because he's a considerably worse player than all of them.

Old
06-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Yeah, he'll be out of the league soon if he doesn't get a lot better....
He's not going to be a top 6 center unless he gets a lot better in other areas of the game. Maybe his faceoff skills will take a leap this year, maybe he'll regain some semblance of the physicality he played with before, maybe he'll eventually learn how to play defense...

As of now his skills are much better suited on wing, where if he played with Giroux he'd be in line to make a lot more money. If he was smart he'd stop seeing himself as a center and start seeing himself as a hockey player that needs help his team in the most effective way that he can.

Old
06-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
I would be all over that. He's like Rinaldo but less insane and better defensively. A fourth line with Powe and Rinaldo would be very difficult to play against.
Rinaldo is the most useless player I've ever seen and yet people are fascinated with the guy. I don't get it. He is abysmal defensively. He doesn't help you kill penalties. He adds no offensive threat whatsoever. He's is a horrible player. Time to move on from this guy. Give me a 4th line of Raffl-Laughton-Hall next season. Rinaldo should get the Hal Gill treatment.

Old
06-05-2014, 10:09 AM
flyershockey

Quote:

Dominic Moore has never carried a cap hit of more than 1.1 million dollars per season. What makes you think that at age 33 he's all of the sudden going to more than double his AAV? He's always been what he is for the Rangers this year. Boyle will probably get a slight raise, but I would gladly pay an excellent fourth liner who can take faceoffs, plays solid defense, penalty kill and block a ton of shots for ~2 million per year. A fourth line should be more than just a 5-6 minute liability per game. Every good coach in the league knows how valuable a good fourth line can be if they can take care of their own end, contribute to the penalty kill and chip in a goal here and there. Zac Rinaldo can't do any of that. Powe used to be able to do that, but we have no idea how he is with his head.

Closed Thread