HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines and Pairs

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 09:08 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Lines and Pairs

while there is still time for changes, indications are that last nights
first three lines and defensive pairs will be what the Caps start the season with as well as pp and pk units.

Miller-Halpern-Jagr Gonchar-Kwiatkowski
Konowalchuk-Zubrus-Bondra Witt-Eminger
Grier-Lang-Semin Doig-Boumedienne

PP Unit 1 PP Unit 2
Grier Miller Jagr Lang Zubrus Semin
Gonchar Halpern Gonchar Bondra

PK Unit 1 PK Unit 2
Zubrus Grier Halpern Bondra
Witt Eminger Doig Kwiatkowski

Here are my questions.....
Does Jeff Halpern have the offensive chops to carry playing both with Jagr and play the point on the power play. He does give Jagr some face off advantage and is willing to be physical and fight for the puck.
Which of these lines is the most dangerous offensively?
Can the Caps survive Joel Kwiatkowski playing with Gonchar?
Can Eminger handle being matched with the other team's top line without the help of a purpose built checking line up front?
Does the Caps 2nd power play unit look more dangerous than he 1st one?

Old
10-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Halpern should not be playing on the top lines. Remember the season before last when he was horrible? That was because he made a misguided attempt to change his game and become an offensive player. Halpern actually produces more when he concentrates on his defensive game. Therefore he shouldn't play anywhere above the third line.

Semin-Zubrus-Jagr
Bondra-Lang-Grier
Konowalchuk-Halpern-Sutherby
Pettinger-Gordon-Peat

Gonchar-Boumedienne
Witt-Eminger
Doig-Kwiatkowski

PP1
Gonchar-Jagr-Bondra-Lang-Zubrus
PP2
Gonchar-Eminger-Jagr-Semin-Grier

PK1
Gonchar-Witt-Halpern-Grier
PK2
Doig-Eminger-Lang-Bondra
PK3
Witt-Boumedienne-Sutherby-Pettinger/Gordon

Old
10-04-2003, 01:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I say

Lets give Halpern a fair shot at the #1 center spot. He scores some nice goals from the high slot. Maybe Jagr turns him into a serious threat with some nice feeds from the wing.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
Lets give Halpern a fair shot at the #1 center spot. He scores some nice goals from the high slot. Maybe Jagr turns him into a serious threat with some nice feeds from the wing.
Halpern doesn't have nearly enough playmaker or finishing skills to play with Jagr. Why play Halpern with Jagr when you can use Jagr's talent better by playing Zubrus with him?

Old
10-04-2003, 04:41 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai
Halpern doesn't have nearly enough playmaker or finishing skills to play with Jagr. Why play Halpern with Jagr when you can use Jagr's talent better by playing Zubrus with him?
Halpern did score 18 goals and 20 goals in his first two seasons. Those are pretty strong numbers when a players gets little of any pp time and has never played with the top offensive players on his team. His 3rd year was marred by the hold out, the season ending knee injury and that he played almost zero games with his constant playing partner, Konowalchuk. Last year he had 13 and Cassidy will tell you that he wasn't fully recovered from his knee surgery yet. This is not Trent Whitfield we are talking about. I am not convinced that he has the ability to be a top line center, but I also realize that he is an elite in terms of offense from a defensive line. Its also fair to keep in mind that this is his 5th NHL season. Sometimes it seems like he has been here a lot time, but its only been 4 seasons.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:51 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai
I dont know if Jagr would elp Zubrus with anything but his numbers. The more Zubrus has the puck the better he plays. Why waste his telent passing it to Jagr when miller and halpern can both do that?

Old
10-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Robert Paulson*

Sutherby should get the 1st line Center spot

Old
10-05-2003, 09:34 AM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
Halpern has two seasons with 18+ goals, Zubrus has zero.

Not belittling Zubrus, as I do think he's poised for a very good season, more to praise Halpern, who I think is a bit underrated offensively. Hopefully, with his wheels back 100%, his speed will return and he'll get more offensive chances. I don't think it's completely ridiculous for him to center Jagr, though I'll admit I was surprised by it.

I also won't be surprised if one or two of the names that are vying for a spot on the club are moved soon. I've seen two or three articles alluding to the Caps in trade talks with team, though it should be noted that there has been no mention of which teams. The constants I've seen are Washington trying to package some 'fringe players' for a steady defenseman. I have a feeling that it's going to take more than 'fringe players' to get a steady defenseman.

The articles have been in the Post and the Times, IIRC, but I'm too lazy to look them up right now.

And agreed, I'd love to see Sutherby get some Top 3 lines-type minutes.

Old
10-05-2003, 10:14 AM
You're Retarded

vCash:
I just think of it this way (hoping at least): Jagr may do better with a center that doesn't hold on to the puck as much as, say, Nylander. He had his best years with Miller and Jan Hrdina in Pittsburgh. Halpern IMO is fairly similar to Hrdina, although Jan is a better passer than Halpie is. But they are both defensively responsible guys that can put the puck in the net and set Jags up too.

Old
10-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Actually,
Jagr had his best years with Mario Lemieux and Ron Francis, or with Petr Nedved and Ron Francis. Or, with Martin Straka and Francis. Or, with Lemieux and Kevin Stevens.

In other words, Jagr's best seasons haven't been with the immortal Kip Miller.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

No one wants to pair Jagr with Lang? The two worked well together last season for a short time, and I know they worked with one another in Pittsburgh as well.

Halpern is a very capable checking center, but that's what he is. Why mess up the most consistent line the team had last season?

Here's how I might do it:

Miller-Lang-Jagr
Semin-Zubrus-Bondra
Konowalchuk-Halpern-Grier
Pettinger-Sutherby-Gordon/Peat

Zubrus and Jagr also worked well together for a time, so I wouldn't rule out that possibility.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:48 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
No one wants to pair Jagr with Lang? The two worked well together last season for a short time, and I know they worked with one another in Pittsburgh as well.

Halpern is a very capable checking center, but that's what he is. Why mess up the most consistent line the team had last season?

Here's how I might do it:

Miller-Lang-Jagr
Semin-Zubrus-Bondra
Konowalchuk-Halpern-Grier
Pettinger-Sutherby-Gordon/Peat

Zubrus and Jagr also worked well together for a time, so I wouldn't rule out that possibility.
Lang and Jagr don't mix well. I don't know why, but they were rarely linemates in pittsburgh. they tried it on and off last year and it didn't really fly. You would think that a great closer on the Jagr line would be great to have, but Bondra never skates with Jagr except in desperate times.

Old
10-07-2003, 07:45 PM
You're Retarded

vCash:
Caps lineup looks to be

From washingtoncaps.com, it appears the opening lineup will be:

Miller - Gordon - Jagr
Grier - Lang - Zubrus
Konowalchuk - Halpern - Bondra
Sutherby centering 2 of Pettinger, Semin, Peat, and Willsie

Gonchar - Boumedienne
Witt - Eminger
Doig - Kwiatkowski

Kolzig
Charpantier

Old
10-07-2003, 07:50 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bondra
From washingtoncaps.com, it appears the opening lineup will be:

Miller - Gordon - Jagr
Grier - Lang - Zubrus
Konowalchuk - Halpern - Bondra
Sutherby centering 2 of Pettinger, Semin, Peat, and Willsie

Gonchar - Boumedienne
Witt - Eminger
Doig - Kwiatkowski

Kolzig
Charpantier
Whoa where did gordon come from? Nice!

Since its the Islanders and they are a pretty rough team I say we put in peat. Semin gets my vote for the other spot...

Old
10-08-2003, 01:37 AM
I_r_1337

Willsie will become the new Ivan..the guy everyone loves to hate because he's stealing games from guys like Semin, Pettinger, Peat and Gordon.

Closed Thread