HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Juneau & Dackell: Please Stay.

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 08:10 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
Juneau & Dackell: Please Stay.

You know, most people here think that Dackell and Juneau are soft and will not be the team for very long this season. I think this is mistaken. (I posted this in another thread, but I think it warrants its own thread.)

First, these players are not soft. They are not overly-physical, but they do not play scared. A soft player is one who is afraid of going into the corners. These guys forecheck and cycle tenaciously, and even at 5'11 180lbs, Dackell has been very durable.

The line of Sundstrom-Juneau-Dackell is important to Julien: they are all very intelligent players who understand the system Julien wants to use. They play better as a unit than they do as individuals. They played together in Ottawa (not Sundstrom) and they are familiar with the Martin-esque system that Julien wants to implement.

They also teach the younger players by example. Remember that Bulis developed as he did while apprenticing with Juneau and Dackell, without the pressure of having to be offensive. He was on his way to bustville after losing his starting job as a top center a few years ago. Now Bulis is a complete player with the confidence to explore his offensive upside.

Juneau and Dackell have zero trade-value, but they are still durable, reliable defensive hockey players. Over the course of the year, they will do for Higgins and Plekanec and Perezhogin what they did for Bulis. These young call-ups will learn from Juneau, Dack and Sundstrom in a few games what they would never learn in the AHL in years.

In my opinion, Perreault and especially Audette should be discarded before Juneau and Dackell, especially as Juneau will probably retire after this year anyway. In this transitional stage, they are more valuable to the Habs than either Perreault (now behind Ribeiro on the depth chart) and Audette (probably never again the player he once was).

Old
10-04-2003, 08:33 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
In my opinion, Perreault and especially Audette should be discarded before Juneau and Dackell, especially as Juneau will probably retire after this year anyway.
Yes, but to play where? Think it's easy in today's context to move 6 more millions anywhere without taking an overpaid underacheiver back? Or would you rather have us play 9M in the AHL?

Old
10-04-2003, 08:45 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Yes, but to play where? Think it's easy in today's context to move 6 more millions anywhere without taking an overpaid underacheiver back? Or would you rather have us play 9M in the AHL?
I suspect that the only option with Audette is a buy-out. Audette is immovable and likely useless to the Habs and every other team this season.

Perreault still has value in a trade, and the only question is whether one could get fair value in this spendthrift, uncertain climate. If Ribeiro finally emerges as a legitimate scoring line centre, Perreault will be moved in a trade, probably for a low draft pick or a minor leaguer. A team like Chicago, for instance, could use Perreault, if only for a year, both to reunite with Mike Simth and to cushion the arrival of Ruutu as well as provide insurance against a sophomore jinx should Arnason experience one.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:51 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
I suspect that the only option with Audette is a buy-out. Audette is immovable and likely useless to the Habs and every other team this season.

Perreault still has value in a trade, and the only question is whether one could get fair value in this spendthrift, uncertain climate. If Ribeiro finally emerges as a legitimate scoring line centre, Perreault will be moved in a trade, probably for a low draft pick or a minor leaguer. A team like Chicago, for instance, could use Perreault, if only for a year, both to reunite with Mike Simth and to cushion the arrival of Ruutu as well as provide insurance against a sophomore jinx should Arnason experience one.
One could defend Perreault still has value, although not very high, so if management decides to move him, they could succeed. However, nobody will touch Audette with a ten foot pole, even if we eat some of his salary. There's 2 years at 3M per remaining to his contract. That would mean a hefty price of 4M to buy him out. No way management does that. Better face it: We're stuck with him for at least an other year (but do I hope I'm wrong).

Old
10-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
One could defend Perreault still has value, although not very high, so if management decides to move him, they could succeed. However, nobody will touch Audette with a ten foot pole, even if we eat some of his salary. There's 2 years at 3M per remaining to his contract. That would mean a hefty price of 4M to buy him out. No way management does that. Better face it: We're stuck with him for at least an other year (but do I hope I'm wrong).
You are probably right, as 4m is very expensive. And had Gainey wanted to, he would have already when he purchased the contracts of McKay and Czerkawski.

It's just that in a pure value sense, I think both Juneau and Dackell are more valuable in their roles than either Perreault or Audette (especially Audette).

Old
10-04-2003, 09:13 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
It's just that in a pure value sense, I think both Juneau and Dackell are more valuable in their roles than either Perreault or Audette (especially Audette).
Maybe. It's arguable I'll give you that. But bad management decisions often come to haunt you and it's pretty much the case here as we're unable to move any, yet there's too much of them on the team.

Closed Thread