HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Multiple Offers for FLA/BUF #1/#2 pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-02-2014, 10:52 PM
  #51
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Murray and Devine. In numerous interviews where they have talked about the top guys ..Nylander nor Ehlers weren't even mentioned.

teams are not going to talk about the players they really like if its off the logical board. With Buffalo at #2 its naturally the agreement seems to be Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett ar e the top 3 by many many people.

If Buffalo has Nylander or Ehlers higher on their board they arent going to tell anyone and pump up the three players to pump up the trade value of their pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=712854 Clearly you're wrong.

The only reason why "mock" drafts have Ekblad going first is because Florida already has Barkov, Huberdeau, and Bjugstad at centre so it doesnt make sense for them to take Reinhart/Bennet/Draisaitl with the first. That doesnt make him the best player in the draft
I agree need plays a part in how teams draft. Naturally Florida and Edmonton 1st priority appears to be defense given their past draft history. While buffalo on the other hand has a high priority with a forward.

Some people rank prospects independent of who is picking where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers11 View Post
While Ekblad isn't at the top of EVERY mock or rankings, he is the consensus number one. He's ahead of the other two pretty clearly.
There really isnt much difference between him and Reinhart. Had Buffalo been #1 you would see Reinhart as #1 in many teams mock drafts.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:55 PM
  #52
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
of teams are calling about the picks--as for if they are actually offering anything is open for debate

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:56 PM
  #53
FightingIrish17
Registered User
 
FightingIrish17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Oil and Conservatism
Country: Canada
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
I think walking away with both Ekblad + Draisaitl would be huge for the Oilers. Would cost probably Yakupov + Klefbom + Gagner, may even cost Yak + 2015 1st for 1OA +.

FightingIrish17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:04 PM
  #54
CanadienShark
Registered User
 
CanadienShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,121
vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Give up a 3rd and Kadri (something Buffalo doesnt need) and you expect Buffalo to send something back---keep dreaming.

Since Buffalo holds that pick such a trade would never happen.

Try #8+2015 #1(unprotected)+Gauthier + something else for #2.
If you don't want to trade the 2nd overall, don't, but you're really overrating its value.

8th + 2015 1st + Gauthier + for 2nd overall

Is FAR more than any reasonable person would trade. Perhaps 8th + 2015 1st + small piece is closer. Or 8th + Gauthier, but the package you suggested is ridiculous. Just say "it's not for sale."

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:10 PM
  #55
landy92mack29
Registered User
 
landy92mack29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
If you don't want to trade the 2nd overall, don't, but you're really overrating its value.

8th + 2015 1st + Gauthier + for 2nd overall

Is FAR more than any reasonable person would trade. Perhaps 8th + 2015 1st + small piece is closer. Or 8th + Gauthier, but the package you suggested is ridiculous. Just say "it's not for sale."
actually their not. reinhart had a better junior career than rnh had and it was in line with what hall+stamkos did. Tavares had a better one then everyone though

because it's called a weak draft people think everywhere it's weak which isn't the case. there is no generational talent like mcdavid next year but the top 2 this year are amazing players in their own right and will be stars. the next 3-4 players are solid players who are top 6 at least. it's considered weak because of the depth after 1st round and the high risk of busts after the top 10

landy92mack29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:17 PM
  #56
CanadienShark
Registered User
 
CanadienShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,121
vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by landy92mack29 View Post
actually their not. reinhart had a better junior career than rnh had and it was in line with what hall+stamkos did. Tavares had a better one then everyone though

because it's called a weak draft people think everywhere it's weak which isn't the case. there is no generational talent like mcdavid next year but the top 2 this year are amazing players in their own right and will be stars. the next 3-4 players are solid players who are top 6 at least. it's considered weak because of the depth after 1st round and the high risk of busts after the top 10
8th + Gauthier (1st rounder in one of the best drafts ever) + 2015 1st (supposed to be an awesome draft) + is "fair" value to you? Oh dear...


It's a weak draft because (for the most part) the talent levels don't appear to be the same as other years. There's more to prospects than simply their stats, believe it or not.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:18 PM
  #57
MLoza92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Bennett is going to be a lot better than Reinhart

MLoza92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:19 PM
  #58
MLoza92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLoza92 View Post
Bennett is going to be a lot better than Reinhart
Slightly off topic, but I don't get why people continue to comment on here like Reinhart is rated higher when he isn't. At all.

MLoza92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:50 PM
  #59
landy92mack29
Registered User
 
landy92mack29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
8th + Gauthier (1st rounder in one of the best drafts ever) + 2015 1st (supposed to be an awesome draft) + is "fair" value to you? Oh dear...


It's a weak draft because (for the most part) the talent levels don't appear to be the same as other years. There's more to prospects than simply their stats, believe it or not.
really?

I've seen plenty of reinhart+rnh/jones/murray/dumba(most whlers) live while watching ekblad+bennett on tv quite a bit so I know their skill set and it is just as good as past drafts.

most of the lack of interest in this draft is because everyone is infatuated with mcdavid/eichel next year

landy92mack29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:53 PM
  #60
CanadienShark
Registered User
 
CanadienShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,121
vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by landy92mack29 View Post
really?

I've seen plenty of reinhart+rnh/jones/murray/dumba(most whlers) live while watching ekblad+bennett on tv quite a bit so I know their skill set and it is just as good as past drafts.

most of the lack of interest in this draft is because everyone is infatuated with mcdavid/eichel next year
I don't see your point...? Or did you even make one?

McDavid/Eichel will be absolute studs. No doubt. I think Ekblad could challange Jones as one of the best d-men prospects for a while, but I don't think 2014 is a great draft, as a whole.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:57 PM
  #61
landy92mack29
Registered User
 
landy92mack29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
I don't see your point...? Or did you even make one?

McDavid/Eichel will be absolute studs. No doubt. I think Ekblad could challange Jones as one of the best d-men prospects for a while, but I don't think 2014 is a great draft, as a whole.
the point I was making is ekblad/reinhart are just as good as 1/2's other years yet just because the draft is weak they are considered less because of it.

I know this will be a weak draft but the top talent isn't.

landy92mack29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 01:37 AM
  #62
thedustman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 582
vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by landy92mack29 View Post
the point I was making is ekblad/reinhart are just as good as 1/2's other years yet just because the draft is weak they are considered less because of it.

I know this will be a weak draft but the top talent isn't.
How do you know? How many people on here are just going off other things they've read on here (or on other blog/forum sites)? Is everyone reading a stat sheet that I haven't seen?

I'll say there are gonna be 10-15 all stars from this draft in a couple three years

thedustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 01:59 AM
  #63
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
If you don't want to trade the 2nd overall, don't, but you're really overrating its value.

8th + 2015 1st + Gauthier + for 2nd overall

Is FAR more than any reasonable person would trade. Perhaps 8th + 2015 1st + small piece is closer. Or 8th + Gauthier, but the package you suggested is ridiculous. Just say "it's not for sale."

No its not...top 2 picks in the draft are a safe bet at being a successful player. Usually top 4 picks in the draft are very strong franchise type of players. From there it drops off where those drafted 7-12 have a higher chance of bust or not meeting what you should hope to get.

Just because many say its aweak does not mean that the top 3 picks this year are not comparable to other top 3 picks in other yeaars.

The places where it is weak is when you get into the 2nd round then you have a drop off. the talent of someone in mid 2nd is equivalent to talent you would find in the mid 3rd in other drafts.

what do you think the price is to move up from #8 to #1??? A bunch of 2nd round picks and throw away players just because you can do that on NHL 14?

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 02:12 AM
  #64
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustman View Post
How do you know? How many people on here are just going off other things they've read on here (or on other blog/forum sites)? Is everyone reading a stat sheet that I haven't seen?

I'll say there are gonna be 10-15 all stars from this draft in a couple three years
there will be some very good talent in this draft. Part of it is comparing the talent to what you have seen in past years.

The "weaker" reference is if you were to set up a score of the players are ranked them from 1 to 250. The scores of players ranked 1-3 is similar to 1-3 of players ranked in other years. Thos scores of those players say 30-40 are lower compared to players ranked 30-40 in other drafts.....thus that is what makes it weaker.

these scores dont correlate to what these players will become in the NHL. There will be a few players that are drafted in the 2nd round that turn into great players---but every draft has that. Similalrly there will be some high draft picks that turn into busts given where they were drafted.

By bust I mean...you draft a player 6-10 you are hoping they are a 1st line player/1st pair dman, they should be a 2nd line/2nd pair player. If they end up a 3rd liner then it will be looked at as a bust given the location you picked him. If he was drafted in the mid 20s then he would be doing what you hoped for and expect from someone drafted there.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 02:16 AM
  #65
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers11 View Post
While Ekblad isn't at the top of EVERY mock or rankings, he is the consensus number one. He's ahead of the other two pretty clearly.
CSS, ISS, McKeens, and HockeyProspect all disagree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy92mack29 View Post
that has deangelo at #14 which doesn't help their credit. those rankings are who is hot at the moment more than actual abilities. Bennett is very good obviously but the skill set and consistency ekblad/reinhart have is superior to everyone else.

jones draft year on a stacked winterhawks team-61 gp 56 pts 33 Pim
ekblad this year on a barrie team he carried-58 gp 53 pts 91 Pim Captain, played 3 years because exceptional status(Tavares, mcdavid, day others granted it)

rnh-1st year 5 gp 6 pts 2nd year 67 gp 65 pts 3rd year 69 gp 106 pts
reinhart-1st year 65 gp 62 pts 2nd year 72 gp 85 pts 3rd year 60 gp 105 pts

Bennett-1st year 60 gp 40 pts 2nd year 57 gp 91 pts
dal colle-1st year 63 gp 48 pts 2nd year 67 gp 95 pts
draisaitl-1st year 64 gp 58 pts 2nd year 64 gp 105 pts
So you have more credibility than the above mentioned? Trying to discredit them by claiming they only rank who's hottest right now is laughable.

__________________
MacTavish signs UFA's just to annoy you
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 02:44 AM
  #66
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,291
vCash: 500
Florida/Buffalo can ask for that kind of return all they want. They wont get it.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 04:58 AM
  #67
BananaSquad
Registered User
 
BananaSquad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Florida/Buffalo can ask for that kind of return all they want. They wont get it.
Good and I hope they dont get it. I dont want Buffalo trading that pick at all.

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:43 AM
  #68
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSquad View Post
Good and I hope they dont get it. I dont want Buffalo trading that pick at all.
I don't want to see them trade it either. I think its a lock that they will be taking Reinhart/Bennett. If Florida does trade that 1st overall I think its to a team that is also looking for a centre. Then its a coin flip for the Oilers if they're taking Ekblad or Draisaitl

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:51 AM
  #69
FlaPanthers11
Registered User
 
FlaPanthers11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 1,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
CSS, ISS, McKeens, and HockeyProspect all disagree with you
Did you miss where I said he wasn't ahead in EVERY mock or ranking. I even made it in all caps in hopes that no one would overlook it.

Terry Koshan @koshtorontosun

Asked six scouts at the #NHL combine today who they would take first overall if it was their choice. Every one said Aaron Ekblad

McKenzie's list which also surveys team scouts has Ekblad number one with 7 votes to Reinhart's 3 and Bennett's 2. That's pretty much a consensus number one.

FlaPanthers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 09:57 AM
  #70
seabass45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,958
vCash: 500
So who is the likely top six player offered by other teams in the top ten to jump up? The only guy I can see the Isles offering is Bailey, and I ummmm... don't see anyone biting on that. Maybe Grabner, but he's still a 30 goal threat and a terror on the PK.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 10:11 AM
  #71
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,457
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers11 View Post
Did you miss where I said he wasn't ahead in EVERY mock or ranking. I even made it in all caps in hopes that no one would overlook it.

Terry Koshan @koshtorontosun

Asked six scouts at the #NHL combine today who they would take first overall if it was their choice. Every one said Aaron Ekblad

McKenzie's list which also surveys team scouts has Ekblad number one with 7 votes to Reinhart's 3 and Bennett's 2. That's pretty much a consensus number one.
Mock drafts are where people believe a player will be drafted. They take into account overall team need, and player skill. This can fall under a scouts opinion too.
Scouting services rank the player on overall skill and potential.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 11:16 AM
  #72
THall4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Wow sportsnet with their spot on coverage of the NHL saying people want to trade up to the top spots in the draft. Wonder how they got that doosey


Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
You guys, Edmonton isn't trading Yakupov + 3rd overall + to move up. If anything I suspect Edmonton moves down. MacT has a huge crush on Draisaitl.
This. But i cant see Edm trading down to take Leon Draisaitl as there is no way CGY passes on him either, even if Bennett is still on the board. LD is exactly the type of player Burke likes. Oilers will draft LD 3rd overall.

THall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 11:19 AM
  #73
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THall4 View Post




This. But i cant see Edm trading down to take Leon Draisaitl as there is no way CGY passes on him either, even if Bennett is still on the board. LD is exactly the type of player Burke likes. Oilers will draft LD 3rd overall.
Yeah I think given all our holes we should just accept a player that fits a need. Be it Ekblad, Draisaitl, or one of Reinhart/Bennett.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 11:24 AM
  #74
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Yeah I think given all our holes we should just accept a player that fits a need. Be it Ekblad, Draisaitl, or one of Reinhart/Bennett.
I don't think Edmonton needs to do anything pretty. The top of the draft coincides with what Edmonton desires most, a top flight defender and the top center prospects in the draft. Decide on who they want and just take them with conviction.

Depth pieces can be added in the offseason.

I think the same applies to the Isles with their spot coinciding with pretty much all the top wingers available at #5. Despite the terrible ownership/management of both EDM and NYI, just keep it simple stupid!

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 11:33 AM
  #75
1927
Maj. Conn Smythe
 
1927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brock, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,356
vCash: 500
Of course both Florida and Buffalo will be given multiple offers to trade their pick because a lot of teams want to select the best from the draft.

Only Florida can be seen to be the team that may end up dropping down or moving the first overall outright for the proper deal to help the team this upcoming season and beyond.

It is doubtful that Buffalo will move their pick unless they move down one spot or two while getting more assets like a 2nd round pick/player to help their rebuild.

The draft will be an interesting this year no doubt about it.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.