HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps assistant coaches (Forsythe PP/Analytics, Lambert F/PK, Reirden D/PP, Korn G)

Old
06-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Langway
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 50
Staff responsibilities: Forsythe (PP/analytics), Lambert (forwards/PK), Reirden (defense/PP).

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 11:32 PM
ryan519*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Oh well. That was short lived...
how so? one draft pick you dont like and its back to the gloom and doom already?

ryan519* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 11:47 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan519 View Post
how so? one draft pick you dont like and its back to the gloom and doom already?
One draft pick and then draft that reinforced my first instinct about GMBM: that nothing would change. I let myself be enticed by the coaching selections, but barring a very impressive UFA period, no I am back to believing that the management will not improve as it needs to.

calicapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2014, 11:48 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan519 View Post

I agree, Ryan. I like what Trotz says. He's an excellent hockey man. I like the staff BMac put together on short notice. That stability might help to entice UFA players to come here. BMac did good work there. It is certainly possible that no UFA's come (there are 30 teams and we were one of the worst last year).

I can't stand Ted 'n Dick concerning hockey. They are two of the very last people in the world I would select to make decisions for the Caps. And I will certainly complain (again) if BMac turns out to be a mere gopher for Ted 'n Dick. But I am optimistic that he will be his own man here.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 08:22 AM
txpd

bmac is doing McPhee's job. same job description. at least that's my view. I think there is hope, but I don't think the team is changing its direction.

go back to McPhee's exit interview with Vogel. Listen to how McPhee talks about the team's future. I would bet that is Leonsis view of the team that McPhee is communicating.

This also explains McPhee's lenthy tenure in the job. He was doing what Leonsis wanted done to Leonsis expectations. If the tactic failed, Leonsis wasn't going to blame McPhee.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 08:47 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I agree, Ryan. I like what Trotz says. He's an excellent hockey man. I like the staff BMac put together on short notice. That stability might help to entice UFA players to come here. BMac did good work there. It is certainly possible that no UFA's come (there are 30 teams and we were one of the worst last year).

I can't stand Ted 'n Dick concerning hockey. They are two of the very last people in the world I would select to make decisions for the Caps. And I will certainly complain (again) if BMac turns out to be a mere gopher for Ted 'n Dick. But I am optimistic that he will be his own man here.
I agree. Let the employees do their job and stay the heck out of the way. I've concluded if BMac is another gopher, I'm not going to complain. I will just accept the fact this team will not win a championship with Ted as owner. Again, this is BMac's time to shine and I'm willing to give him a chance.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 09:09 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Interesting note in the article about Reirden potentially giving the Caps an inside track for Niskanen and Orpik - Trotz looked at Reirden because he specifically wanted at least one assistant he had not worked with before. The opposite of cronyism.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 09:22 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Interesting note in the article about Reirden potentially giving the Caps an inside track for Niskanen and Orpik - Trotz looked at Reirden because he specifically wanted at least one assistant he had not worked with before. The opposite of cronyism.
Or (puts on tinfoil hat) Bmac steering Trotz toward Reirden to get the inside track on good deals for Niskanen and Orpik.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I agree. Let the employees do their job and stay the heck out of the way. I've concluded if BMac is another gopher, I'm not going to complain. I will just accept the fact this team will not win a championship with Ted as owner. Again, this is BMac's time to shine and I'm willing to give him a chance.
I could write a book about why Ted is such a bad owner. He doesn't understand hockey for one thing. But it's deeper than that. I think his whole reason for owning the Caps is to gain approval from others rather than to personally enjoy building a championship team. His kind of motivation can't be sustained.

Our only chance is if Ted and Dick withdraw and let BMac (or someone with a vision) build the team.

Old
06-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Atlas

I am optimistic that the team will at least be competitive again with Trotz at coach. I love the Caps so much it just makes me crazy to see them guided by incompetents like Ted, Dick, McPhee, Oates and on back to Abe.

Old
07-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

So we got Pitts D coach and then signed 2 of their D-Men. I have to say i like sticking it to the penguins, I just hope he doesnt play favorites with his Pitt guys.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2014, 08:12 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Trotz will have the final say.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 10:27 AM
SpaceyInSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Staff responsibilities: Reirden (defense/PP).
Hi, Caps fans. The Florida Panthers are reportedly interviewing Todd Reirden for head coach, and I believe he will be the guy. Can you tell me your impressions of him? Strengths/weaknesses? Thanks!

SpaceyInSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 01:18 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceyInSpace View Post
Hi, Caps fans. The Florida Panthers are reportedly interviewing Todd Reirden for head coach, and I believe he will be the guy. Can you tell me your impressions of him? Strengths/weaknesses? Thanks!
The impression is that he's a knowledgeable hockey guy.

Superficially, he doesn't seem to have a particularly forceful personality... most teams need that, at least to some extent, in a head coach...

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 01:43 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
From what we can tell, he's done well at helping groom and develop the team's defensemen. Niskanen blossomed under Reriden in both Pittsburgh and Washington, and Orlov took a big step forward under him this year. Without being in the film room and practice every day, it's hard to know exactly where the responsibilities and influence of any assistant coach lie, but from our soundbites and bits of knowledge, he seems knowledgeable and success enough.

Be aware that Reirden is also on Buffalo's radar (not sure if he has an interview lined up or not).

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Brian23

I'd be curious to know how much Reirden had in his defensive pairings. If he was really just about assignments/where he wanted them and it was still up to Trotz for making them then fine, but if Reirden had pair control and usage control I'd really think you'd need to question him. He never seemed to identify, outside of 9 - 2, pairs that worked well together or who was actively carrying lines or dragging them down.

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 04:13 PM
ovikovy817

vCash: 50
Well, he's a D coach on a jennings trophy winning team. Hope he stays in DC

ovikovy817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 05:01 PM
pman25

I think Reirden would make a fine coach. The progress of Schmidt and Orlov under his watch has been impressive. Niskanen excelled under him going back to Pittsburgh. players seem to respond to him well. Fairly reserved fellow it seems

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 06:14 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

I like Rierdan and wish him well in a head coaching gig elsewhere.

The only acceptable option for the Caps going forward is a HC who has won a Stanley ****ing Cup.

05-19-2017, 09:41 AM
SpaceyInSpace

Thanks for the replies. I like that he's good at developing young defensemen, since our Ekblad, Matheson, Petrovic, McCoshens of the world can really use a solid coach leading them. I understand Reirden runs the Powerplay too and has had a lot of success in Pitt and Wash. The Panthers PP is abysmal...so we need all the we can get. His strengths seem to fit our needs. I hope we give him a shot here.

Old
05-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Reirden does not run the powerplay. That's Blaine Forsythe's realm of responsibility.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:44 PM
SpaceyInSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
Reirden does not run the powerplay. That's Blaine Forsythe's realm of responsibility.
Oh ok- the thread title says they both do.

Old
05-19-2017, 02:57 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Oh ok- the thread title says they both do.
It's possible he assists, but the scheme has largely been the same since before his arrival and Forsythe is the one who is involved most heavily with it. Adam Oates ran a prototype version of the formation in New Jersey, and then he and Forsythe (then the video coach) devised the Capitals' iteration of it when Oates was hired as the HC in Washington. Trotz largely kept the scheme when he was hired (and then subsequently hired Reirden), and left the PP within Forsythe's purview.