HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Therrien extended 2 years? MurphysLaw74's twitter

Old
06-03-2014, 10:48 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
That means absolutely nothing. No coach has had a team as good as this one since Pat Burns either. Julien, Vignault, Martin could have gotten a lot more out of this roster.
Vigneault back then wasn't the coach he is today.

Julien, okay, he was already good.

Martin is overrated as hell these days. Good coach, no doubt but I doubt he gets better results.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 11:57 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
No coach has had much of a run as a habs coach since pat burns.
Well, there was the cup with Demers...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 12:05 AM
Price My Man Crush

And Jacques Martin went to the ECF during his first season here...really don't know what he's talking about...

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 12:38 AM
la25ecoupe

Boucher as assistant?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 12:39 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Mon Amour View Post
And Jacques Martin went to the ECF during his first season here...really don't know what he's talking about...
Did he get fired in Pitts?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 12:45 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Well we knew it had to happen given the success in these series. We escaped this one cause it's only two years.

But he better play the kids next year or GTFO.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 04:30 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian General View Post

Martin is overrated as hell these days. Good coach, no doubt but I doubt he gets better results.
Martin got the same results with a much more inferior team. Vignault was a tactician with the Habs. Just not as experienced and didn't have the horses. He had thibault man.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 06:04 AM
DAChampion

Martin is given credit for the ECF in 2010, but he did well in 2011 as well.

Took a bad team to sixth place in the conference, then lost in 7 games in OT to Boston, the eventual cup winner.

So Martin had teo legitimate appearances in the playoffs in three years with three mediocre teams.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 07:30 AM
HabsQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
I knew he's get extended after a good playoff run. I'm more curious about who will get Gallant's spot and maybe re-vamp our anemic PP.

I hope they offer Benoit Groulx the job of Gallant

HabsQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Scriptor

If Therrien is back next year, he needs to be extended at least two years. Otherwise, he becomes a lame duck coach and the players will, instinctively, rebel as soon as they get less ice time, are given smaller roles, etc.

Scriptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 10:04 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I don't even get why they give them guaranteed contracts to begin with.
It's the least they can do, the way they toss them... they're human beings with family, they should be treated with respect.

His contract doesn't count against the cap, so who cares, the habs are filthy rich, they can fire him any day, with or without a big contract.

I hate Therrien, he might produce now, but he's screwing our future with the way he's using the young players... (oh, and his coaching decisions are awfull... no1 reason why we lost against NYR, didn't prepare his team properly for game 1... the rest is history).

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 10:08 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian General View Post

JM would have had Moen on the 1st line, Eller and Beaulieu traded.

yianik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Martin got the same results with a much more inferior team. Vignault was a tactician with the Habs. Just not as experienced and didn't have the horses. He had thibault man.
He had Hackett, who was a pretty decent starter. Team wasn't good regardless.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 11:56 AM
GoodKiwi

I like MT as our coach. Glad to see this happen!

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 12:04 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Does the length really matter on a coach's contract? These guys get fired at the drop of a hat.
And that is why length matters a lot.

They want to be paid a NHL salary (or two) for as long as possible.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Forlando

The guy gets us from last on the Eastern Conference to two consecutive playoff years finishing 2nd and 3rd in the conference and people still give him no credit at all. I am so glad that you guys are not the GM of the Habs.

And for those who think we have a stellar cup worthy team, let me pop your ballooon: No, we don't. This team overachieved this year.

Deep team??? seriously? Hey, I love some of the players we have, but if you think we are a deep stacked team then I guess it is because we have 4 third lines. Our two scoring leaders are at number SIXTY and SEVENTY FIVE in the league (not counting Vanek).

And don't get me started on defense, because after PK...there is not a lot of elite players there. I love Markov but if these playoffs proved something, it is that his best days are behind.

So bottom line, as Bergevin said, yes we do have nice pieces in place, but there is a lot of work still ahead to be considered serious contenders. Cut Therrien some slack, the guy is not perfect but he is pushing the right buttons so far with the lineup that we have.

Forlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 12:33 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
And that is why length matters a lot.

They want to be paid a NHL salary (or two) for as long as possible.
It matters to them and to their employer, not to us. Not really, anyway.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Alexander Edler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forlando View Post
The guy gets us from last on the Eastern Conference to two consecutive playoff years finishing 2nd and 3rd in the conference and people still give him no credit at all. I am so glad that you guys are not the GM of the Habs.
This guy knows what's up. I'm sure we all have our complaints about how the team gets coached sometimes, but fact is Therrien has improved this team. The current core is not far off from the one that finished last in the conference a few years ago.

Alexander Edler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forlando View Post

And for those who think we have a stellar cup worthy team, let me pop your ballooon: No, we don't. This team overachieved this year.

Deep team??? seriously? Hey, I love some of the players we have, but if you think we are a deep stacked team then I guess it is because we have 4 third lines. Our two scoring leaders are at number SIXTY and SEVENTY FIVE in the league (not counting Vanek).

And don't get me started on defense, because after PK...there is not a lot of elite players there. I love Markov but if these playoffs proved something, it is that his best days are behind.

So bottom line, as Bergevin said, yes we do have nice pieces in place, but there is a lot of work still ahead to be considered serious contenders. Cut Therrien some slack, the guy is not perfect but he is pushing the right buttons so far with the lineup that we have.
He pushed the right buttons, I just think he's not the most forward-thinker whether it's for being afraid to play the kids or the way he changed our puck possession style that we've had last year to a more defensive style which if anything made this team more vulnerable.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Forlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He pushed the right buttons, I just think he's not the most forward-thinker whether it's for being afraid to play the kids or the way he changed our puck possession style that we've had last year to a more defensive style which if anything made this team more vulnerable.
He might not be willing to revolutionize Hockey, but is that what we want? or is it to win a cup? Look what guys like Darryl Sutter and Claude Julien have done with defense first mentality kind of coaching. Defense wins championships and rock em sock em kind of Hockey with a good mix of talent still is King (no pun intended). Therrien has proved that he can adapt, learn and change much better than people think. Look how different his pressers where during this playoffs and last year's. All I'm saying is that he has gotten results from a team that a lot of persons didn't even think was going to make the playoffs. He is no Bowman, but he is no schlep either.

Careful what you wish people, look how long a forward-thinker like Guy Boucher lasted in this league....and I think that guy is competent, by the way.

Forlando is offline   Reply With Quote