HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Nash Part II

View Poll Results: Do you want to get rid of Rick Nash?
Yes 153 65.95%
No 79 34.05%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2014, 05:44 PM
  #426
ReggieDunlop68
hey hanrahan!
 
ReggieDunlop68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
The bolded is all we can ask for as fans, the results are happenstance/luck/timing/etc. His effort has been 110% in every game of the SCF and has literally excelled at everything else besides point production.

People just dislike him because he's had periods as a Ranger where he has floated, and he's not producing pretty goals to pad stats en route to a Conn Smythe.
He has been playing harder compared to himself, that is all.

As the Rangers are currently, constructed, this team is not going into game 5 of the finals because of Rick Nash's defense, but they may be packing it in for the offseason after game 5 for his lack of offensive dominance.

I'm sorry that I don't break out the pom-poms now that he looks as if he shouldn't be scratched. This team may very well likely not be in the finals for 20 years or longer now that it's a 30 team league.

I can't fathom how his lack of scoring and lack of general offensive dominance is not a cause for an aneurism. If we miss the cup this year, 30 years pass, and the young guys on these boards become old, bald, and smelly, and are paying $30,000+/year for tickets just for a chance to be at this point, let's see how many of them are happy three decades from now that Rick Nash is doing well on the second penalty kill unit in 2014.

The old guys on these boards will be dead by then. Sorry.


Last edited by ReggieDunlop68: 06-12-2014 at 05:53 PM.
ReggieDunlop68 is offline  
Old
06-12-2014, 07:58 PM
  #427
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
The contract is irrelevant to his play on the ice. The team we have next year is irrelevant to how he's playing now.

Like you said, for example, his contract needs him to do one thing - score, I take it? Well, if that's all he did and was a liability in other areas, people would ***** that we're paying $8M to a guy who is one-dimensional. This guy will never win over this fanbase no matter what he does. It's his second ****ing go around in the playoffs.

I just ****ing despise the argument, "he's paid to score" or "his contract requires he score" or whatever.

Think about this: We pay Hank to make big saves. If someone shoots and it redirects in off G's foot, or bounces right back to Richards' stick on a 2 on 1, the puck goes in, Hank didn't do his job. We pay him to make those saves. But there are other forces at play besides Hank's will to make a save, like the skill of other players, luck, positioning, etc.

But, using the "Rick Nash is paid to score" logic, Hank is paid to make saves, and we can't consider anything that happens other than whether he made the save or not. Nothing else matters. Did he make the save? No? Well, that's it. He's playing poorly.
I can't believe what I'm reading here. Simply can not. I could make so many arguments to refute this but it would simply be a waste of time.

I think most of us get it. Rick Nash is playing no where near his potential as an elite player. He looks terribly ordinary most of the time or I just don't notice him at all.

He may be back checking well, but not any of the things he was truly brought here to do. Another classic star acquisition tragedy for The New York Rangers. A $7.8 million dollar player who can't even hack the power play or his first line position.

Truly tragic. Any sane Rangers fan wants to put his head thru a wall at this latest example of a star's sudden decent in our colors. I am so sick of waiting for Nash to wake up and at least look like himself. It's just not gonna happen....at least until maybe when the pressures off.

Pizza is offline  
Old
06-12-2014, 08:19 PM
  #428
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Meh, I think we are just at an impasse in discussion. I guess we all truly just see what we want to see.

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 08:44 AM
  #429
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
Meh, I think we are just at an impasse in discussion. I guess we all truly just see what we want to see.
The impasse will go away completely by midnight Wednesday night. If we win the next three games, all will be well with Nash, as he did the little things to help us win. If we do not win the next three games, it will be all Nash's fault for not scoring.

That's life on the internets!

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 08:54 AM
  #430
TheTakedown764
Registered User
 
TheTakedown764's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
The impasse will go away completely by midnight Wednesday night. If we win the next three games, all will be well with Nash, as he did the little things to help us win. If we do not win the next three games, it will be all Nash's fault for not scoring.

That's life on the internets!
and scarily enough, given how little game changing ability he has, it might actually be the right logic for once?

TheTakedown764 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 10:07 AM
  #431
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
Meh, I think we are just at an impasse in discussion. I guess we all truly just see what we want to see.
Do you see a player who possesses the type of game that can be productive when time and space gets taken away? Like it always does in the playoffs?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 10:33 AM
  #432
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Do you see a player who possesses the type of game that can be productive when time and space gets taken away? Like it always does in the playoffs?
I see a player capable of that, yes. I see a player that, when he plays a soft, perimeter game, no, will not do that. But when Nash is stickhandling and carrying the puck and driving the net, he can definitely make things happen when time and space is taken away. I think that as his career goes on, he may figure out playoff hockey. He may not. But I'm not going to label him as a playoff choker after 20 someodd playoff games.

I just don't agree with the mentality that "he's paid to score" and that's it. He's paid to be a productive hockey player. He's not playing poorly. In fact, he's outright noticeable in a positive way. Like I said, if he was scoring and not doing the little things, people would say he's one-dimensional and complain, and you wouldn't hear jack **** about this "he's paid to score and thus the little things don't matter," and what you would hear is "he's paid $8M he should do the little things too." There's no pleasing a fan base that demands perfection from everyone. Look at how fickle we are with Hank, how we wanted to trade Boyle because he was nothing more than a 4th liner, how we drove Rozsival out of town. Yeah, let's trade Nash, let him go to the Sharks and score 15 goals for the Sharks as they go on to win the Cup. Patience is a virtue sometimes with immense talent. I won't use the injuries as an excuse for him, but that's also a huge factor that may have been at play towards the end of the season and beginning of the playoffs. Who knows. Last year to this year, 1000x improvement for Nash. Next year, if he improves at that pace again, who will complain then? Everyone, because they'll find something to ***** about.

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 10:42 AM
  #433
ReggieDunlop68
hey hanrahan!
 
ReggieDunlop68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
I see a player capable of that, yes. I see a player that, when he plays a soft, perimeter game, no, will not do that. But when Nash is stickhandling and carrying the puck and driving the net, he can definitely make things happen when time and space is taken away. I think that as his career goes on, he may figure out playoff hockey. He may not. But I'm not going to label him as a playoff choker after 20 someodd playoff games.

I just don't agree with the mentality that "he's paid to score" and that's it. He's paid to be a productive hockey player. He's not playing poorly. In fact, he's outright noticeable in a positive way. Like I said, if he was scoring and not doing the little things, people would say he's one-dimensional and complain, and you wouldn't hear jack **** about this "he's paid to score and thus the little things don't matter," and what you would hear is "he's paid $8M he should do the little things too." There's no pleasing a fan base that demands perfection from everyone. Look at how fickle we are with Hank, how we wanted to trade Boyle because he was nothing more than a 4th liner, how we drove Rozsival out of town. Yeah, let's trade Nash, let him go to the Sharks and score 15 goals for the Sharks as they go on to win the Cup. Patience is a virtue sometimes with immense talent. I won't use the injuries as an excuse for him, but that's also a huge factor that may have been at play towards the end of the season and beginning of the playoffs. Who knows. Last year to this year, 1000x improvement for Nash. Next year, if he improves at that pace again, who will complain then? Everyone, because they'll find something to ***** about.
Thankfully, even if we are booted tonight, I can rest easy that the 2014 SCF have been a positive learning experience for Rick Nash.

At his rate of 1000X improvement, I'm sure that when we are definitely in the SCF 20 years from now, Rick will be ****ing amazing!

ReggieDunlop68 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 10:49 AM
  #434
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieDunlop68 View Post
Thankfully, even if we are booted tonight, I can rest easy that the 2014 SCF have been a positive learning experience for Rick Nash.

At his rate of 1000X improvement, I'm sure that when we are definitely in the SCF 20 years from now, Rick will be ****ing amazing!
LOL, Reggie, you know that "1000x improvement" was hyperbole. There's no actual quantifying measure other than me watching the games. Don't pinpoint the obvious randomness in that statement and attack it.

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 10:51 AM
  #435
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
LOL Sorry everyone Rick Nash hasn't lived up to your expectations of a goal per game in the Stanley Cup playoffs en route to a Conn Smythe Trophy in his second full playoff run. Someone crunch the numbers on some other players who are "star caliber" players and I guarantee you find tons of them who struggled in the beginning of their playoff careers only to find their games in subsequent seasons.

I wish Nash would just ****ing score a hat trick so people would shut the **** up about it.

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 11:05 AM
  #436
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,634
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
LOL Sorry everyone Rick Nash hasn't lived up to your expectations of a goal per game in the Stanley Cup playoffs
How about a little better than a goal a series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
I wish Nash would just ****ing score a hat trick so people would shut the **** up about it.
That's odd. I wish Nash would score a hat trick because that would help give the Rangers the best chance at winning. But that's just me. Spite is a better reason.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 11:12 AM
  #437
bathgate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 915
vCash: 500
All will be forgiven if he has three great games starting tonight. He is on the cusp of providing the offense we desperately need. At some point, we really do need a legitimate first line center. SBOB states a goal per series, I say he will score a goal a game or better over the next three. Perhaps I am delusional but the state of mind could be from watching the Rangers for the past 55 years. Go Rangers, I believe!

bathgate is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 11:14 AM
  #438
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings
 
DMPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 21,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
All will be forgiven if he has three great games starting tonight. He is on the cusp of providing the offense we desperately need. At some point, we really do need a legitimate first line center. SBOB states a goal per series, I say he will score a goal a game or better over the next three. Perhaps I am delusional but the state of mind could be from watching the Rangers for the past 55 years. Go Rangers, I believe!
I hope you are correct, they will probably need it.

__________________
DMPD is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 12:14 PM
  #439
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How about a little better than a goal a series?



That's odd. I wish Nash would score a hat trick because that would help give the Rangers the best chance at winning. But that's just me. Spite is a better reason.
Win-win if you ask me. Here's to a Nash hatty!

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 12:15 PM
  #440
Aufheben
Global Moderator
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 17,500
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Do you see a player who possesses the type of game that can be productive when time and space gets taken away? Like it always does in the playoffs?
Not really.

__________________



Aufheben is online now  
Old
06-13-2014, 12:20 PM
  #441
TheDave1022
Registered User
 
TheDave1022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Carmel, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Nash has been slumping for a large portion of this season offensively. Basically put up 22 points in the last 49 games (0.44 pts/game)

Nash's Stats dating back to start of February (Last 49 Games - 25 Regular Season, 24 Playoffs). This after a 11 goal, 0 assist month in January.

11 Goals (8 Regular Season, 3 Playoffs)
11 Assists (4 Regular Season, 7 Playoffs)
22 Points (12 Regular Season, 10 Playoffs)


If Nash was actually scoring in the playoffs and being a difference maker (offensively), like we have seen at times during his 2 seasons here, the Rangers probably don't need to go 3 rounds of 7/7/6 games each to reach the finals


Last edited by TheDave1022: 06-13-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Edited for 24 playoff games, not 25
TheDave1022 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 12:37 PM
  #442
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave1022 View Post
Nash has been slumping for a large portion of this season offensively. Basically put up 22 points in the last 50 games (0.44 pts/game)

Nash's Stats dating back to start of February (Last 50 Games - 25 Regular Season, 25 Playoffs). This after a 11 goal, 0 assist month in January.

11 Goals (8 Regular Season, 3 Playoffs)
11 Assists (4 Regular Season, 7 Playoffs)
22 Points (12 Regular Season, 10 Playoffs)


If Nash was actually scoring in the playoffs and being a difference maker (offensively), like we have seen at times during his 2 seasons here, the Rangers probably don't need to go 3 rounds of 7 games each to reach the finals
Fair point, but 3rd round was 6 games.

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 03:22 PM
  #443
ReggieDunlop68
hey hanrahan!
 
ReggieDunlop68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
LOL, Reggie, you know that "1000x improvement" was hyperbole. There's no actual quantifying measure other than me watching the games. Don't pinpoint the obvious randomness in that statement and attack it.
In the same manner you did in this response to me?

ReggieDunlop68 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 04:03 PM
  #444
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieDunlop68 View Post
In the same manner you did in this response to me?
What post did I do that?

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 04:05 PM
  #445
ReggieDunlop68
hey hanrahan!
 
ReggieDunlop68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
What post did I do that?
The exact post I responded to.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 04:09 PM
  #446
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjinx94 View Post
LOL Sorry everyone Rick Nash hasn't lived up to your expectations of a goal per game in the Stanley Cup playoffs en route to a Conn Smythe Trophy in his second full playoff run. Someone crunch the numbers on some other players who are "star caliber" players and I guarantee you find tons of them who struggled in the beginning of their playoff careers only to find their games in subsequent seasons.

I wish Nash would just ****ing score a hat trick so people would shut the **** up about it.
Hyperbole won't make your weak argument stronger.

If you crunch the #'s of star players, you'll probably find a few that massively disappoint from a production standpoint in the playoffs. Rick Nash would be on that list.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 04:13 PM
  #447
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hyperbole won't make your weak argument stronger.

If you crunch the #'s of star players, you'll probably find a few that massively disappoint from a production standpoint in the playoffs. Rick Nash would be on that list.
Well, at this point I don't even know what my argument is anymore, based on the turns of this thread.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you guys are saying. All I've been saying is that Nash has been noticeable and one of our top forwards out there. The response to that has been that he's not scoring and therefore he's useless. I'm not using hyperbole, that is the direct response from many posters. Your posts have been more reasonable throughout.

I do believe that you can't label a player a playoff bust after 20-25 games, though.

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 04:13 PM
  #448
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieDunlop68 View Post
The exact post I responded to.
Reggie, your post was dripping with so much sarcasm (as per usual), that I have no idea what you would have liked me to respond to.

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 04:51 PM
  #449
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
**** you, Babcock for using Nash on the PK in the olympics. He is a terrible PKer. Not only is he completely inept at blocking point shots, but he's also not the best conditioned athlete in the league so by the 30 second mark of him running around on the PK, he's gassed which negates the entire reason for putting him out there in the first place which is to pick off a pass and rush down ice for a scoring chance.

Add to that the fact that in the little PP time he does get they put him in front of the net, I'm not surprised at all the dude is having trouble scoring. It's the playoffs..teams shut down top offensive threats 5 on 5. We've done it to the opposition in every single series save for maybe Malkin; it's a part of playoff hockey. Nash has not been good enough by any stretch of the imagination, but the mishandling of him by the coaching staff is horrific. It's literally the only thing that this coaching staff has done thus far that I have been in complete disagreement with.

They need to get Nash on the PP tonight. And FFS, let him play the half wall and not in front of the net. It's difficult enough as it is to get shots through against LA. Let Nash drive the inside and create some havoc

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline  
Old
06-13-2014, 05:02 PM
  #450
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoHitTheNetJK View Post
**** you, Babcock for using Nash on the PK in the olympics. He is a terrible PKer. Not only is he completely inept at blocking point shots, but he's also not the best conditioned athlete in the league so by the 30 second mark of him running around on the PK, he's gassed which negates the entire reason for putting him out there in the first place which is to pick off a pass and rush down ice for a scoring chance.

Add to that the fact that in the little PP time he does get they put him in front of the net, I'm not surprised at all the dude is having trouble scoring. It's the playoffs..teams shut down top offensive threats 5 on 5. We've done it to the opposition in every single series save for maybe Malkin; it's a part of playoff hockey. Nash has not been good enough by any stretch of the imagination, but the mishandling of him by the coaching staff is horrific. It's literally the only thing that this coaching staff has done thus far that I have been in complete disagreement with.

They need to get Nash on the PP tonight. And FFS, let him play the half wall and not in front of the net. It's difficult enough as it is to get shots through against LA. Let Nash drive the inside and create some havoc
Agreed 99%.

jerseyjinx94 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.